Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Divination Tactics

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Exploit Posted - 14 Jan 2009 : 23:26:26
Can the Divination spell, in version 3.5, answer a WHEN question? For instance, "When will the adventuring party that has been raiding my castle attack me next?" or even more broadly "Will I be attacked in the next tenday?"

The spell description seems to allow for this since there is no limitations on the type of question asked and being advised as to when something is going to happen should qualify as "a useful piece of advice".

Even if the advice is cryptic like "Danger will come when the moon and the harvest rise as one" presumably the answer can be deciphered (probably should be a Knowledge DC check of some sort for NPCs to be fair since the DM obviously knows the answer to his own clue).

If this works then it will certainly change both PC and NPC tactics dramatically. Knowing when the next attack will take place means NPCs/PCs should be well prepared to repel any "surprise" attacks. Certainly helps against the teleport-in/blast/teleport-out tactics that abound at high levels.

Just curious on other people's opinion.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
ErskineF Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 14:32:09
The spell has a time limit of one week. Does he have a reason to expect them to return within a week? If so, why would he not simply stay on high alert for that entire week? I can see where he would find it useful to have a more exact idea of when they're going to arrive. He would know that the divination is not always reliable, though, and he would still be on high alert. Still, he might have something in particular planned for the day he thinks they're going to arrive.

I like the idea of using a knowledge roll to see if he interprets his answer correctly. If he fails, then I would roll 1d4 to see by how many days he misses the mark, or 2d4 if he fails by more than 5. I would also roll percentile to see whether he thinks the attack is going to be sooner than it is, or later.
IngoDjan Posted - 15 Jan 2009 : 13:48:42
I think, nobody can tell the future exactly. Maybe it works perfectly, but maybe it won't.
In my table, there's a divinator (Belive me, it's true) and his divination has a special chances of be right.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000