Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Apparent error on the Roll of Years

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Jan 2008 : 16:47:33
I'm posting this here, in hopes that one of the designers will come along with an answer...

I was just looking over the Roll of Years, when I happened to notice that there are two years with the exact same name. I checked the original file, still located on the Wizards website (if you know the URL), and saw that the error was in that file -- so it wasn't something I did!

The error is also in the Forgotten Realms Calendar Tool, so it appears to have remained uncaught.

Anyway, years 107 and 1173 both have the same name: The Year of the Fledglings.

I'm hoping Steven or someone can explain this apparent error.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steven Schend Posted - 20 Nov 2023 : 01:21:40
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I've realized that 301 DR bothers me. The "Year of Argent Cape". That's just grammatically nonsensical. I'm tempted to make it the Year of the Argent Cape.

-- George Krashos

How do you know that year name wasn't linked to a serious pileup of ships (due to a storm) upon a particular cape/peninsula and all the spilled silver coinage in and out of the water led to that name?

Steven
who likes to both rationalize his year names and go to bat for them whether seeming errors or not
AJA Posted - 12 Nov 2023 : 05:30:29
Are we sure it wasn't supposed to be Argent Canap?

(or change it to Year of Argent Capes instead, if you want to get poetic about wave crests and maritime-related events edit: or heavy regional snowfalls)

Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Nov 2023 : 03:08:25
quote:

I've realized that 301 DR bothers me. The "Year of Argent Cape". That's just grammatically nonsensical. I'm tempted to make it the Year of the Argent Cape.

-- George Krashos

Hey, Argent Cape was, despite his name, quite the remarkable person! Why do you think he got a year named after him?

Sadly, the Capes family died out after its last scion, Verdant Cape, died fighting a mob of angry linguists.
George Krashos Posted - 12 Nov 2023 : 01:32:01

-- George Krashos
George Krashos Posted - 29 Oct 2023 : 05:18:57
Variant local names are definitely a thing. If your wild mage is likely to turn out to be a "big thing" in wherever he is from, then that local area may indeed have 1496 DR as the Year of Lost Wizards, as prophesied by Golaura "the Hagwitch" in the years following the raising of the Standing Stone, etc. etc.

-- George Krashos
Ayrik Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 18:54:49
I am still mildly disappointed that we never got (will get?) a Year of Lost Wizards in the future from which my wild mage could be inadvertently and spectacularly ejected.

I wonder if parallel Realms-Primes with variations in events might have variations in their prophesied names for the Roll of Years ...
NieveMac Posted - 26 Oct 2023 : 12:11:51
Just in the interests of completion, the gemstone shandon AJA mentioned on the previous page is noted in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical to be colorless, but it also says it is used on robes and veils to "impart the effect of beads of water". So that would suggest a very pale blue, which works for eye color as well as fitting Steve Schend's memory of it being a shade of blue. :)

As far as "volanth" goes, while the aforementioned Realmslorist said it was not merely a misspelling of volant, there might still be a connection. Volant, of course, is French for "flying" and it is also used in heraldry to refer to a bird in flight. So coupling this with the possibility the term came up in relation to the history of Myth Drannor, perhaps it's some form of flying creature that lived in Cormanthor, or a bird or other flying beast that Myth Drannan elves kept as a pet, or even used as familiars?

Finally, while I couldn't find anything for gulagoar, I note it's reminiscent of two different monsters: the ice devil or gelugon, and the gem-eating gulgar. Perhaps it's a misspelling of one of those two? Or it could be another contraction, like "gulgar-roar"...
ericlboyd Posted - 21 Jun 2022 : 17:18:16
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

For 245 the Year of the Dun Dragon, I found this:

Dun
- An ancient or medieval fortification; especially a hill-fort in Scotland or Ireland.
- (archeology) A structure in the Orkney or Shetland islands or in Scotland consisting of a roundhouse surrounded by a circular wall; a broch.

Dun is also a color. It means nut-brown, and is often used to describe brown-colored animals (e.g. horses).

--Eric
Asharak Posted - 21 Jun 2022 : 15:48:20
For 245 the Year of the Dun Dragon, I found this:

Dun
- An ancient or medieval fortification; especially a hill-fort in Scotland or Ireland.
- (archeology) A structure in the Orkney or Shetland islands or in Scotland consisting of a roundhouse surrounded by a circular wall; a broch.
George Krashos Posted - 19 Jun 2022 : 08:29:37
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

I'd agree with Ayrik that 'mesmer' immediately suggests to me 'mesmerize', in the sense of to enthrall or hypnotize.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik
"Mesmer" could just be a name. Likely the name of someone who first discovered or invented the pool

Perhaps quite literally
quote:
mesmerism
Word History: Franz Anton Mesmer, a visionary 18th-century physician, believed cures could be effected by having patients do things such as sit with their feet in a fountain of magnetized water while holding cables attached to magnetized trees.

(don't try that at home, kids!)

Sounds like a heretical cult of Eldath with a Talosian taint.

-- George Krashos
Asharak Posted - 18 Jun 2022 : 09:55:23
quote:

Year of the Orb Obsidious, 85

obsidious adjective. rare. E17.
[from Latin obsidium siege, from obsidere: see OBSESS, -IOUS.]
Besieging; besetting.

Wiktionary
obsidious : (rare) besieging; besetting, obsessional
AJA Posted - 05 Jun 2022 : 14:51:15

I'd agree with Ayrik that 'mesmer' immediately suggests to me 'mesmerize', in the sense of to enthrall or hypnotize.

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik
"Mesmer" could just be a name. Likely the name of someone who first discovered or invented the pool

Perhaps quite literally
quote:
mesmerism
Word History: Franz Anton Mesmer, a visionary 18th-century physician, believed cures could be effected by having patients do things such as sit with their feet in a fountain of magnetized water while holding cables attached to magnetized trees.

(don't try that at home, kids!)

Ayrik Posted - 04 Jun 2022 : 22:39:04
"Mesmer pool" suggests something with a fascinating, captivating, hypnotic, suggestive, or calming effect. Maybe you study the shimmering movements and patterns, maybe you just have to glance at it, maybe you have to drink the liquid or touch it or be immersed within.

"Mesmer" was an uncommon title for mentalist-discipline arcanists in Ancient Netheril. "Mesmer" could also refer to anyone who uses magical or nonmagical skills to influence, create, or change mental states - whether they be niche specialty spellcasters, psionicists, bards, or even physics and alchemists. I suppose the term could be applied to substances which achieve this affect - anything is possible in D&D - but it seems to me that we tend to give such things more descriptive names like toxins, sedatives, stimulants, tranquilizers, mood-balancers, psychotropics, etc.

"Mesmer" could just be a name. Likely the name of someone who first discovered or invented the pool, or simply the name this person chose for the strange pool.
Asharak Posted - 04 Jun 2022 : 11:00:19
1186 - Year of the Mesmer Pool

I found a reference to a poison "Mesmer paste" in the Weapons and Equipment Guide for the 3rd edition.

What about it more precisely? Is it a plant? An organic component?

Is there any other reference?

Edit:

I found this:

German, variant of Messner ("sexton").
Asharak Posted - 02 Jun 2022 : 10:24:49
Why not if we agree that Armarel is a contraction of these two words.
George Krashos Posted - 02 Jun 2022 : 08:00:03
quote:

Year of the Armarel:

Armare (Latin): to arm, to equip
and
Marel variant of merel (old french):
- Coin that was given as a quitus.
- Attendance token distributed to priests.
- Conventional money, token.

So would that be the equivalent of a donation to a church?

-- George Krashos
Asharak Posted - 01 Jun 2022 : 10:52:59
Year of the Armarel:

Armare (Latin): to arm, to equip
and
Marel variant of merel (old french):
- Coin that was given as a quitus.
- Attendance token distributed to priests.
- Conventional money, token.
Gary Dallison Posted - 26 Apr 2022 : 16:42:53
If it's in something by Ed, Eric, or George then its official for me.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Apr 2022 : 15:40:21
Works for me. It's not like this was ever going to be an official thing, anyway.

I need to dig up my old files one of these days and see what's left to do, here.
ericlboyd Posted - 26 Apr 2022 : 11:43:12
For once I agree with George.

107 DR - Year of Fledglings
1173 DR - Year of Many Hawks.
George Krashos Posted - 26 Apr 2022 : 11:38:39
quote:

I'm pretty sure we went through this over ten years ago with Steven Schend's assistance on the old Listserv Realms-L. The Roll of Years on my HD is as follows. I'm not saying mine is definitive, but it's the one Ed uses:

-289 Year of Spiteful Stones
-208 Year of Shattered Havens
-64 Year of Gleaming Frost
-33 Year of the Harpist's Delight
33 Year of Slowing Sands
64 Year of the Boisterous Orc
88 Year of the Flood
108 Year of the Mortified Monk
285 Year of Wasted Pride
737 Year of the Purple Wyrm
742 Year of the Wavering Voice
936 Year of the Sky Riders
1102 Year of the Chaste Maiden
1209 Year of the Blazing Banners
1212 Year of Ocean's Wrath

The original Roll of Years that Steven Schend released had a few missing years, double ups and errors. That's what Brian's original GHotR web project was based on and not all the errors were picked up. Those errors were translated into the print GHotR and weren't picked up in editing once again - although given it was a rushed project that isn't surprising.

I note that there are the following apocryphal year names floating around in the published Realms:

Year of Swordforging Polyhedron #67, p.22
Year of the Black Shield Polyhedron #79, p.7
Year of the Snarling Snowleopard Polyhedron #80, p.6
Year of the Black Axe Polyhedron #81, p.8
Year of the Black Banner Polyhedron #82, p.22
Year of Rising Winds Polyhedron #83, p.29
Year of Falling Stones Polyhedron #84, p.19
Year of the Torch Polyhedron #87, p.8
Year of the Unicorn Polyhedron #86, p.17
Year of Many Hawks Polyhedron #85, p.6
Year of the Hunting Hawk Halls of the High King, p.2
Year of Dark Frost Crown of Fire, p.208
Year of Rising Mist Crown of Fire, p.286
Year of the Gorgon Moon Elminster: The Making of a Mage, p.51

The first of these was suggested by me as an option to fix a double up in the original Roll and became 977DR.

As per Wooly's 2008 post on this thread 107 DR in my Roll has beome the Year of Many Hawks and 1176 DR has become the Year of Tattered Banners.

These were taken from the apocryphal names noted above.

Ed has stated that various regions of the Realms have localised year names to commemorate special events, etc., so make of the apocryphal names what you will.

-- George Krashos

Sorry for the threadomancy but I'm unhappy with a fix we made years ago re a double up for the Roll of Years, specifically the use of "Year of the Fledglings" for both 107 DR and 1173 DR. The decision was made way back when that 107 DR would become the Year of Many Hawks and 1173 DR would stay as the Year of the Fledglings. I think that was a poor call in hindsight.

The reason for that is 107 DR as the Year of the Fledglings is used in Empires of the Shining Sea (pgs. 25 and 43), Calimport (p.20) and the short story "Bones of the Beast" by Murray Leeder. Conversely, 1173 DR is never used in any of the sources and never referred to as the Year of the Fledglings.

So, I'm just letting you all know that for MY Realms, the Year of the Fledglings is now 107 DR and the Year of Many Hawks is now 1173 DR.

You may all now ignore me at your leisure.

-- George Krashos
cpthero2 Posted - 29 Feb 2020 : 16:55:37
Mr. James,

Yes please. I just came across this and would love to see that go on the DM's Guild!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The Grand History has errors!? That won't stand. Time to publish a follow up packed with twice the lore!

George Krashos Posted - 14 Mar 2018 : 09:30:21
quote:
Originally posted by NieveMac

Thanks for the explanations and answers, Mr. Krashos, they help a lot!

No problem. And it's George. And to paraphrase the esteemed Mr Greenwood, "we ... ahem ... live for this stuff".

-- George Krashos
NieveMac Posted - 14 Mar 2018 : 08:30:50
Thanks for the explanations and answers, Mr. Krashos, they help a lot!
Brimstone Posted - 13 Mar 2018 : 02:22:46
Yep, what Sleyvas said...
sleyvas Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 23:08:07
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

The Grand History has errors!? That won't stand. Time to publish a follow up packed with twice the lore!

You know what.... I can tell you right now Brian, if you continued the Grand History just gathering other canon lore and posting it to DM's Guild that I'd be lined up to buy. In fact, a Post Spellplague update to the grand history leading into 5e would be very welcome.
Brimstone Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 23:01:16
Bring it on.
Brian R. James Posted - 12 Mar 2018 : 15:32:38
George Krashos Posted - 10 Mar 2018 : 05:49:39
I'm pretty sure we went through this over ten years ago with Steven Schend's assistance on the old Listserv Realms-L. The Roll of Years on my HD is as follows. I'm not saying mine is definitive, but it's the one Ed uses:

-289 Year of Spiteful Stones
-208 Year of Shattered Havens
-64 Year of Gleaming Frost
-33 Year of the Harpist's Delight
33 Year of Slowing Sands
64 Year of the Boisterous Orc
88 Year of the Flood
108 Year of the Mortified Monk
285 Year of Wasted Pride
737 Year of the Purple Wyrm
742 Year of the Wavering Voice
936 Year of the Sky Riders
1102 Year of the Chaste Maiden
1209 Year of the Blazing Banners
1212 Year of Ocean's Wrath

The original Roll of Years that Steven Schend released had a few missing years, double ups and errors. That's what Brian's original GHotR web project was based on and not all the errors were picked up. Those errors were translated into the print GHotR and weren't picked up in editing once again - although given it was a rushed project that isn't surprising.

I note that there are the following apocryphal year names floating around in the published Realms:

Year of Swordforging Polyhedron #67, p.22
Year of the Black Shield Polyhedron #79, p.7
Year of the Snarling Snowleopard Polyhedron #80, p.6
Year of the Black Axe Polyhedron #81, p.8
Year of the Black Banner Polyhedron #82, p.22
Year of Rising Winds Polyhedron #83, p.29
Year of Falling Stones Polyhedron #84, p.19
Year of the Torch Polyhedron #87, p.8
Year of the Unicorn Polyhedron #86, p.17
Year of Many Hawks Polyhedron #85, p.6
Year of the Hunting Hawk Halls of the High King, p.2
Year of Dark Frost Crown of Fire, p.208
Year of Rising Mist Crown of Fire, p.286
Year of the Gorgon Moon Elminster: The Making of a Mage, p.51

The first of these was suggested by me as an option to fix a double up in the original Roll and became 977DR.

As per Wooly's 2008 post on this thread 107 DR in my Roll has beome the Year of Many Hawks and 1176 DR has become the Year of Tattered Banners.

These were taken from the apocryphal names noted above.

Ed has stated that various regions of the Realms have localised year names to commemorate special events, etc., so make of the apocryphal names what you will.

-- George Krashos
NieveMac Posted - 09 Mar 2018 : 08:55:13
So, long-time reader, first-time registering and posting! I'm necro-ing this thread because after going over the calendar tool, the Forgotten Realms Wiki, and the Grand History of the Realms, I've found some more errata or discrepancies which have not been mentioned, and I wanted to bring them up so they can be addressed.

* The years -289 and -208 are both listed as the Year of Shattered Havens on the Forgotten Realms Wiki; in the calendar tool -289 is listed as the Year of Spiteful Stones, -208 as Shattered Havens. -289 has an entry in the Grand History of the Realms however (where it is listed as Shattered Havens), and the entry concerns the people of Thindol being enslaved by the yuan-ti, so I think this fits the year name better. In which case -208 (which has no Grand History entry) should be Spiteful Stones.
* 88, the Year of the Mortified Monk, and 108 the Year of the Flood are switched in the calendar tool, but they are correct on the Forgotten Realms Wiki and 108 has an entry in the Grand History (wherein, naturally enough, Unthalass gets flooded).
* -64 and 64 are both listed as the Year of Gleaming Frost on the Forgotten Realms Wiki and in the Grand History (and yes, there's an entry for both years). However the calendar tool lists 64 as the Year of the Boisterous Orc. Neither year really helps much in terms of events, but since -64 is when Rystall Wood falls to giants and orcs (and boisterous really makes me think more of partying and carousing, not invading and conquering), I think Gleaming Frost is probably better for it (and apparently referring to something completely different), and Boisterous Orc can be kept for 64 as it is in the calendar tool.
* -33 is listed as the Year of Slowing Sands in the Grand History, but both the Forgotten Realms Wiki and the calendar tool say it is the Year of the Harpist's Delight and that instead it is 33 which is the Year of Slowing Sands. The Grand History event listed relates to Asram, one of the Netherese survivor states, but it concerns Talona's plague, not anything about the slowing growth of the Anauroch Desert. The fact both the wiki and calendar tool have the year names switched makes me think that should be the correct names, and since it isn't until 329 when Hlondath is abandoned that Anauroch ceases spreading, I don't think Slowing Sands really fits either year. 33 is also listed as the Harpist's Delight in Lost Empires, so clearly it's the Grand History that is wrong.
* 285 is listed as the Year of Wasteful Pride in both the Grand History and on the Forgotten Realms Wiki, but in the calendar tool it's "Wasted".
* 737 is listed as the Year of the Winded Herald in the Grand History, but the wiki and the calendar tool list it as the Year of the Purple Worm.
* 742 is listed as the Year of Comrades-at-Arms in the Grand History and the Forgotten Realms Wiki, but in the calendar tool it's the Year of the Wavering Voice.
* 936 is listed as the Year of Sky Raiders in both the Grand History and the Forgotten Realms Wiki, but in the calendar tool it's "Riders."
* 1102 is listed as the Year of the Chaste in both the Grand History and the Forgotten Realms Wiki, but in the calendar tool it's "Chaste Maiden."
* 1209 and 1212 are both listed as the Year of the Blazing Banner in the Grand History and the wiki; the calendar tool lists 1212 as the Year of Ocean's Wrath.

Hope that helps!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000