Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 In the spirit of the season...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ghost King Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 12:31:08
It just happen to cross my mind, and I hope I'm not repeating any threads about this before, but is there such thing as a holiday similar to this season in the realms? Is there a Santa Claus like character that delivers gifts to all the little boys and girls?

What about the other races besides humans? Do elves, dwarves, gnomes, etc share in this tradition or have a similar one but slightly different take on it?

And is it celebrated all over Faerun? What about all over Toril (and I guess Returned Abeir)?

Finally, and I know this will sound very strange to ask, but do creatures like orcs, drow, goblinoids, etc, have a different take if they celebrate it at all?

*Pauses with finger over the red button that says Don't push. Hesitates for two seconds then shrugs and pushes it just to see what happens.*

~Ghost King~

6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ghost King Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 22:19:34
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

In my opinion, El truly does understand the spirit of Christmas.

The few sources on El I have read, I would have to agree with that opinion.
Ghost King Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 22:17:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The answer to first question is no. As I recall, the nearest equivalent to Christmas/Yule in the Realms would be Midwinter -- Deadwinter Day. Ed's '07 scroll also has some replies from the Bearded One on this particular subject.

As well:-

"December 29, 2004: BrokenRulz, Ed hereafter makes answer to your question: “How does Elminster celebrate the Yuletide/Soltice?”

The axial tilt, size, and rotational period of Toril are close to our Earth’s but not identical. Solstices do occur, and at such times “the Weave shines forth most brightly” in the Realms.

Which is the bardic way of saying that at such times there’s some restlessness in Mystra, due to her origins (Selune), and the Weave is therefore more active than at most other times (with surges of raw magical energy washing back and forth, sometimes ‘powering up’ cast spells to greater damage, duration, or area of effect than would normally be possible, and more often spitting off unintended wild magic side effects). Beyond such happenings, this time of year has little greater significance to Mystra and her Chosen. However, Elminster has visited our Earth often, and is familiar with Yule celebrations and the more modern commercial Christmas. (So, to a much more limited extent, are Laeral and The Simbul and Storm.)

El has little use for presents and much of the foolishness associated with the etiquette of modern organized faiths of any sort, but it pleases his nature to do at Yuletide what he’s always done as a Chosen: help folk and support their belief in magic or strength of Sense of Wonder.

In other words, he gives gifts of food, unlooked-for aid, and spell-cast warmth and shelter to those in need in the bitter winter cold, AND enjoys playing a mysterious Father Christmas figure, especially if he can do small acts of magic observed by one or two beings at a time rather than large audiences, so he can foster a belief in magic in those observers (awakening awe in adults - - and teenagers who’ve just scornfully stopped believing in Santa Claus - - of our world, in particular).

He enjoys showing up wherever I am, late on the night of Christmas Eve/wee hours of Christmas morning, and letting me see his wink and wave as he works some small magic to awe a youngster. And downs something handy from my wine cellar or liquour cabinet, too.

So saith Ed.

A night or two late for this Christmas, but the Master of the Realms keeps up with his Candlekeep answers as best he can at this frenetic (both for writing and family celebrations) time of year.

love to all,
THO"

The Sage,

Thanks for the timely response and taking the time out of this busy day to answer my questions. That explains perfectly what I wanted to know. I've read of many holy days/holidays of faiths across faerun that are celebrated, but I never knew if any at all shared anything in common with Earth holidays that are celebrated this time of year.

Tis good to hear that El keeps the spirit of magic alive even here on our humble little globe. I'm sure Ol' Saint Nick appreciates the gesture.

Happy Holidays,

~Ghost King~

Edit: Sorry saw the THO at the bottom and figured it was she that typed it. Thanks regardless to both you and THO for the answer.
Ghost King Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 22:00:08
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

I think this has been answered here -http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10390&SearchTerms=christmas,in,the,realms. (If I got the link right)

and here
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10315&SearchTerms=santa,claus

and
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8451&SearchTerms=santa,claus

There are probably others, but.... lol

Brynweir, thank you greatly for the links I'll be sure to check them out and use the search engine more before I post again. Laziness and lack of sleep got the best of me.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 15:55:13
In my opinion, El truly does understand the spirit of Christmas.
The Sage Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 13:32:15
The answer to first question is no. As I recall, the nearest equivalent to Christmas/Yule in the Realms would be Midwinter -- Deadwinter Day. Ed's '07 scroll also has some replies from the Bearded One on this particular subject.

As well:-

"December 29, 2004: BrokenRulz, Ed hereafter makes answer to your question: “How does Elminster celebrate the Yuletide/Soltice?”

The axial tilt, size, and rotational period of Toril are close to our Earth’s but not identical. Solstices do occur, and at such times “the Weave shines forth most brightly” in the Realms.

Which is the bardic way of saying that at such times there’s some restlessness in Mystra, due to her origins (Selune), and the Weave is therefore more active than at most other times (with surges of raw magical energy washing back and forth, sometimes ‘powering up’ cast spells to greater damage, duration, or area of effect than would normally be possible, and more often spitting off unintended wild magic side effects). Beyond such happenings, this time of year has little greater significance to Mystra and her Chosen. However, Elminster has visited our Earth often, and is familiar with Yule celebrations and the more modern commercial Christmas. (So, to a much more limited extent, are Laeral and The Simbul and Storm.)

El has little use for presents and much of the foolishness associated with the etiquette of modern organized faiths of any sort, but it pleases his nature to do at Yuletide what he’s always done as a Chosen: help folk and support their belief in magic or strength of Sense of Wonder.

In other words, he gives gifts of food, unlooked-for aid, and spell-cast warmth and shelter to those in need in the bitter winter cold, AND enjoys playing a mysterious Father Christmas figure, especially if he can do small acts of magic observed by one or two beings at a time rather than large audiences, so he can foster a belief in magic in those observers (awakening awe in adults - - and teenagers who’ve just scornfully stopped believing in Santa Claus - - of our world, in particular).

He enjoys showing up wherever I am, late on the night of Christmas Eve/wee hours of Christmas morning, and letting me see his wink and wave as he works some small magic to awe a youngster. And downs something handy from my wine cellar or liquour cabinet, too.

So saith Ed.

A night or two late for this Christmas, but the Master of the Realms keeps up with his Candlekeep answers as best he can at this frenetic (both for writing and family celebrations) time of year.

love to all,
THO"
Brynweir Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 13:28:53
I think this has been answered here -http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10390&SearchTerms=christmas,in,the,realms. (If I got the link right)

and here
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10315&SearchTerms=santa,claus

and
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8451&SearchTerms=santa,claus

There are probably others, but.... lol

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000