Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What race do you play?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
boddynock Posted - 14 Jan 2007 : 14:40:28
I'm just wondering which race is the most frequently used :)

Mod edit: Realized after someone mentioned it that this poll was on the wrong shelf.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gambit Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 07:20:00
Moon Elves. I like that they are pretty much the harmonious balance between all elf types. Intelligent, steeped in magical knowledge, and proud of their heritage, but not stuffy, snooty racial superiorists like Sun Elves. Fond of nature and the wilderness, but not reclusive hermits like Wood Elves, they are as comfortable in the taverns of Waterdeep as they are trouncing around the High Forest. And that they are generally laid back, fun loving, and eager adventurers. Truly the ideal blend of elfiness.
The Sage Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 03:16:47
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Hrm. I had known about shifters and dragonborn being in 3e but didn't know about goliaths. Thanks for the info.

Additionally the Raptoran from Races of the Wild that are also in the Forgotten Realms, canonized in the novel God Catcher (Aundra Blacklock).

See also pg. 17 of Champions of Valor. There's a small section on using raptorans in the Realms.
Rymac Posted - 07 Mar 2017 : 01:47:41
Humans and half-elves have always been my preferred P.C. races. Never played a gnome or dwarf.
Diffan Posted - 06 Mar 2017 : 17:47:59
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

Yup. And STILL not as good as my trusty old 2nd ed half-dragons!!

True. 2E half-dragons were cool, though there were some nice features about the 3E ones, as well. I think the ideal half-dragon would blend both versions.

The 4e ones have bonuses to both Strength AND Charisma, making them great Paladins, Barbarians, Bards, Clerics, and Dragon Sorcerers. Not tom mention fun breath weapons and they can gain wings later on through paragon paths and feats. I think my next 4e character is going to be an awesome Paladin|Bard hybrid who wears plate armor and is devoted to Mili
Diffan Posted - 06 Mar 2017 : 17:45:22
quote:

Hrm. I had known about shifters and dragonborn being in 3e but didn't know about goliaths. Thanks for the info.

Additionally the Raptoran from Races of the Wild that are also in the Forgotten Realms, canonized in the novel God Catcher (Aundra Blacklock).
Diffan Posted - 06 Mar 2017 : 17:41:53
Predominantly human but I've also played multiple elves (including 1 drow), Aasimar (deva for 4e), and one of my favorite characters is an Air Genasi warlord named Garen-Kai.
Nyx_Necrodragon Posted - 06 Mar 2017 : 01:07:41
Drow, always Drow
The Sage Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 00:28:07
Whoa! Surely mine eyes deceive me... Brynweir has returned.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 20:37:48
Most of them are, lol!
Brynweir Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 13:28:36
The vast majority if my characters are human. I think I just like the diversity and, at least in part, the way other races react to them. I love drama. I have a fey'ri, an elf, a half-elf, and a drow. I just adore my drow. She's such a cute little hypocrite.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 01:01:36
The Sage Posted - 18 Jan 2011 : 00:15:23
quote:

quote:

I'm also partial to several of the 4e races; I like dragonborn, goliaths, and shifters.

Goliaths and shifters were both in 3E. Goliaths were in one of the Races of books (Races of Stone, prolly), and shifters were intro'ed in the Eber-whatsit setting.
Goliaths were a new race introduced into the D&D core rules in Races of Stone. There's a brief overview about them here on the WotC site. Champions of Valor also offers several locations around the Realms [referenced on pg. 17] for inserting goliaths into an FR campaign. The section also provides suggestions for how goliaths came to be, in the Realms.

As far as actual "canon" information on goliaths in the Realms, the Expedition to Undermountain adventure also mentions a settlement in the depths of Undermountain:- the Murkstones, which has a small population of goliaths, along with some other Underdark races.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 23:03:40
True dat.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 22:57:44
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

True. 2E half-dragons were cool, though there were some nice features about the 3E ones, as well. I think the ideal half-dragon would blend both versions.
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 22:33:25
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 22:28:58
quote:

I'm also partial to several of the 4e races; I like dragonborn, goliaths, and shifters.

Goliaths and shifters were both in 3E. Goliaths were in one of the Races of books (Races of Stone, prolly), and shifters were intro'ed in the Eber-whatsit setting.

There was a race called dragonborn in 3E, but they aren't related to the 4E ones. I've never done a side-by-side comparison to see if it's a reimagining or just another recycled name. The 3E dragonborn were intro'ed in Races of the Dragon.
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 21:42:35
This was a tough call for me. Was really a toss up between half-orcs and teiflings, 4e variants in both cases. I like them both because of racial discrimination they face, the look and feel of both races, and I like playing them against expectations without going straight for the opposite end of the spectrum into full on marysue territory. In the end I went with half-orcs because at the end of the day I prefer more physical characters.

BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 17 Jan 2011 : 21:29:03
Human
Alystra Illianniis Posted - 31 Dec 2010 : 08:34:52
Hmm, I've probably answered this elsewhere, but my fave to play? Anything elven, though I'm rather partial to drow especially. I also love all half-elves, and I'm starting to really like my gnomish evoker/alchemist. (He likes to blow things up!!) I've played a few humans, and I have a pair of half-dragons I LOVE to play (always together- they're twins and WILL NOT ever really separate).

Not really fond of dwarves (too serious and stoic), or halflings (I'm short enough IRL, WHY would I play something that much smaller than I already AM?!) I do like lycanthropes and catfolk, though!
Joran Nobleheart Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 04:16:36
quote:

So why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 04:14:14
So why don't you tell us how you really feel?
Stout Heart Posted - 30 Aug 2009 : 01:13:12
I just honest to Moradin hate humans with every fiber of my being. or at least 85% I think they are just about the worst excuse for a sentient goodly race in all of faerun. There small minded, selfish, petty, untrustworthy, shortsighted, pig headed, arrogant, fool hardy, Barbarians and the breed like orcs. Self styled masters of the universe.
Ardashir Posted - 29 Aug 2009 : 20:32:14
I prefer Lupins (when I'm allowed to use them); when not, it's either a human or a dwarf.
Iluvrien Posted - 29 Aug 2009 : 12:03:57
I tend to choose Elves because of the historical and cultural aspects, although these days the only games around (my area) are 4E and so I have tried out a couple of the "reimagined" races (Dragonborn, Deva) to test my own prejuduce against them... although those were in core games.

About to start in on the LFR with a Moon Elf, I think.
The Sage Posted - 29 Aug 2009 : 00:17:04
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

I have always wanted to play a githyanki, raiding the astral plane on a red dragon mount while controlling expert martial, psionic and arcane skills.
The older PLANESCAPE supplements offer some intriguing alternatives for playing the gith races.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Aug 2009 : 21:06:30
quote:
Originally posted by Apex

I typically play humans since they do not have level limits and can dual class (with high enough scores of course).

And with that statement, we now know what edition you play.
Apex Posted - 28 Aug 2009 : 20:44:34
I typically play humans since they do not have level limits and can dual class (with high enough scores of course).
Bladewind Posted - 28 Aug 2009 : 13:07:25
I have always wanted to play a githyanki, raiding the astral plane on a red dragon mount while controlling expert martial, psionic and arcane skills.

In the realms I have played dwarves, halfelves, elves and humans. I gravitade to elves because of their awesome history and traditions in Fearun (heroic elegant archetypes). Dwarves because they make great no-nonsence axefighters and when I like to play up a rigid Clan mentality (fearless lawful types). I play humans when I want to emphasize a rebellious lad who breaks free of a strong clan-like mentality (brave chaotic types).
Moonlight Posted - 28 Aug 2009 : 10:44:28
Chaotic good Half-Elf from Aglarond for me :)
Quale Posted - 27 Aug 2009 : 16:00:59
In ten years I remember playing with humans (2-3 times, from Thay, Silverymoon, and one a Scylvendi from nonFR books), a half-elf (Elventree), a pothead wild dwarf, a rock gnome, a dhampyr, a half-daoine sidhe, about five elven characters (this wins but I'm bored with them now), a daelkyr-halfblood, a yuan-ti, a kamerel, a proto-gith, an adu'ja (plant), an axiomite (currently, from Golarion's Beyond).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000