Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Would you buy a novel series set in the Crown Wars

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 19 Oct 2008 : 19:13:01
For thousands of years the history of Faerun has been shaped by the ancient Crown Wars of the Elves. Would you buy a multi-volume novel series of the history of the Crown Wars?

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Aulduron Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 20:11:18
This is why we need a series of books about that time.
Lord Karsus Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 19:11:59
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

According to Evermeet, and other lore, the Ilythiiri were worshipping Gaunadaur and warring with their neighbors, before the Crown Wars.

-As far back as -25,100 DR, the Dark Elves of Atorrnash were worshiping both Vhaeraun (the "plebeians", if you will) and Ghaunadaur (the "patricians", if you will).
Aulduron Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 19:07:11
I've been pushing for such a book. Elaine said, in a different thread, that she'd love to write it, but doesn't see it happening. I don't buy hardcovers, unless I'm getting it signed, and I never read my signed books.

Only some of the dark elves were innocent (Miyeritar). According to Evermeet, and other lore, the Ilythiiri were worshipping Gaunadaur and warring with their neighbors, before the Crown Wars.
MerrikCale Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 03:56:11
I'm in
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 01:54:05
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Is it any good?

Yeah, it's pretty good, and it's pre-Spellplague.
Brimstone Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 21:18:57
-Is it any good?

BRIMSTONE
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 18:49:45
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I would buy ANY FR novel/series set before 1386 DR.

So check out The Stowaway.
Brimstone Posted - 16 Nov 2008 : 21:31:50
-I voted Hard Cover. Now if the poll would have had a both option Soft/Hard Cover I would have voted for that. Yeah a Series set in the Crown War would be nice, until someone starts nitpicking it about the lore. And we know it would happen. Now who would we want writing said series?

BRIMSTONE
Markustay Posted - 16 Nov 2008 : 17:05:19
I would buy ANY FR novel/series set before 1386 DR.
Elestar Posted - 16 Nov 2008 : 16:44:50
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Umm... I suppose I'd buy it. Elves are beginning to grate on my nerves lately though. WE GET IT! You're hot, live long, get laid a lot, and all sun elves think every other race is inferior, frequently resulting in them acting as evil as any drow.

That's what I like about the Crown Wars: the sun elves started them and "everyone" knows that they were at fault. So who was punished? The drow, who resisted the brutal imperialism of the sun elves - nothing feeds one's ego quite like a divine endorsement to punish the victims of your crimes! (Nasty elvsesess ... we hates' em, don't we, Precious?)

Sun elves started, thats true. But the reply of the dark elves was even more dreadful. But I think just as many of the illithiri were innocent, not all sun elves were vyshaan-sympathizers.

I would purchase a series on the Crown Wars in either format.

Jamallo Kreen Posted - 28 Oct 2008 : 19:15:49
Sorry, mate, but it's too late to add another button. However, because I am running the poll and Hasbro is not, I acknowledge your request instead of ignoring it and then asking six months from now if you have a suggestion for a new button!

Kajehase Posted - 27 Oct 2008 : 17:02:33
No. The Crown Wars doesn't interest me. (I want my own button to press in the poll!! )
khorne Posted - 27 Oct 2008 : 15:49:29
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes, but I'd enjoy it more if it was an Ed/Steven joint effort. What an awesome thought ...

-- George Krashos

"Faints from fan-gasm at the mere possibility".
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 27 Oct 2008 : 09:24:55
Yes, but only in hardback.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 26 Oct 2008 : 02:41:58
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Come on PDK, don't throw out the baby with the bath water. A novel or series of novels about the Crown Wars written by Elaine would be a great way to vote with your cash for the pre-Spellplague Realms.

Agreed, but that particular scenario seems unlikely to happen anyway. :-/
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 26 Oct 2008 : 01:48:39
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

A few months, heck, even a few weeks ago I would have said "Yes, provided Elaine Cunningham has a hand in it," but now, it's a big "No: I'm done with WotC and the Realms."

Come on PDK, don't throw out the baby with the bath water. A novel or series of novels about the Crown Wars written by Elaine would be a great way to vote with your cash for the pre-Spellplague Realms.

The baby has been thrown already... and far!

The discussion is moot anyways because A) I'm done with the Realms, unless WotC loses them back to Ed; and B) I don't think Elaine is going to write for the Realms ever again.

Cheers!
Magister Sunstrider Posted - 26 Oct 2008 : 01:38:39
Before the disaster of 4E, I would have bought them sight-unseen regardless of who wrote them. Given what has happened with 4E and the Forgotten Realms, I would now wait for more information/reviews before considering where or not to be spending any money on this product. WotC has damaged themselves so severely in my eyes, I can't think of another reasonable response to their disregard for the Realms.
Lord Karsus Posted - 25 Oct 2008 : 21:34:09
-I would not want such a novel published, because I am of the opinion that such ancient history should largely stay in "mythical" territory. In my own work, I largely skirt creating and/or elaborating on major details in the Crown Wars, such as specific battles, or specific individuals, or whatever else, because, in doing so, the mythical status of said events are lessened, to a degree.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Oct 2008 : 02:57:52
Yes, but I'd enjoy it more if it was an Ed/Steven joint effort. What an awesome thought ...

-- George Krashos
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 25 Oct 2008 : 02:25:12
quote:
Originally posted by Kamuraki

Umm... I suppose I'd buy it. Elves are beginning to grate on my nerves lately though. WE GET IT! You're hot, live long, get laid a lot, and all sun elves think every other race is inferior, frequently resulting in them acting as evil as any drow.

That's what I like about the Crown Wars: the sun elves started them and "everyone" knows that they were at fault. So who was punished? The drow, who resisted the brutal imperialism of the sun elves - nothing feeds one's ego quite like a divine endorsement to punish the victims of your crimes! (Nasty elvsesess ... we hates' em, don't we, Precious?)

Afetbinttuzani Posted - 24 Oct 2008 : 22:47:41
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

A few months, heck, even a few weeks ago I would have said "Yes, provided Elaine Cunningham has a hand in it," but now, it's a big "No: I'm done with WotC and the Realms."

Kamuraki Posted - 24 Oct 2008 : 20:57:45
Lady Fellshot Posted - 20 Oct 2008 : 15:52:05
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

I'd buy the whole shebang in hardbound, whether. I learned my lesson from looking at the wear and tear on my WotSQ books. The only one that doesn't have huge creases and dogears is the last one :P

Isnt that part of the appeal of those books? Every bit wear and tear shown on them is a sign of love for the books.

It just means they might look more like my battered, abused, missing their jackets hardcover copies of the Hobbit, the Simarillion and the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Back to topic, I'd also ask that EC write at least some of it
Alisttair Posted - 20 Oct 2008 : 15:37:35
You darn right I would, no matter what format it first comes out in.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Oct 2008 : 14:41:03
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Set in the crown wars? I'd jump over it like it was Megan Fox.

(Not that I would REALLY jump over her. I'm on the wrong continent for starters, and I'm not interested in going to prison)

She's of legal age.
Pandora Posted - 20 Oct 2008 : 14:40:08
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Fellshot

I'd buy the whole shebang in hardbound, whether. I learned my lesson from looking at the wear and tear on my WotSQ books. The only one that doesn't have huge creases and dogears is the last one :P

Isnt that part of the appeal of those books? Every bit wear and tear shown on them is a sign of love for the books.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
If there is to ever be an FR movie, the Crown Wars are a good choice for a setting, in my opinion.

I would disagree with you there. The Crown Wars is probably good only for a flashy and big-budgeted film. After the first few stupid examples we finally have some really good ones (The Gamers and The Gamers: Dorkness Rising). Those arent about big budget and colossal graphic effects, but rather about a good story. I firmly agree with one of the film makers there that a low budget is a blessing, because it forces creativity. You cant really make a war movie with huge battles on a low budget and have it look good. A much better story / book would be Elfshadow, because it has an intriguing detective story, loads of romance, humor and good fighting scenes.

That said I would certainly love novels about ancient times, because they can explain things and add more mysterious tidbits. There are quite a few "named" magic items (even if they arent really powerful) in the 3rd edition Forgotten Realms books and including their stories might give an added depth. Buying such books would require an author I trust though and since the Crown Wars is about elves the choice is limited.
khorne Posted - 20 Oct 2008 : 08:46:35
Set in the crown wars? I'd jump over it like it was Megan Fox.

(Not that I would REALLY jump over her. I'm on the wrong continent for starters, and I'm not interested in going to prison)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Oct 2008 : 02:57:25
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

I would purchase a series on the Crown Wars in either hard or paper back...

Same here. I prefer paperback, so I checked that one.
The Sage Posted - 20 Oct 2008 : 01:48:20
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd buy it, but the hardback/paperback question depends on the author. Elaine? Hardback. Just about anyone else? Paperback.

Ditto!

Only I'd add Ed and/or Steven as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Oct 2008 : 00:42:00
I'd buy it, but the hardback/paperback question depends on the author. Elaine? Hardback. Just about anyone else? Paperback.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000