Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Non-Realms Realms Novels

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MerrikCale Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 19:49:35
I am sure this has been asked but I couldn't find it. What non-Wizards/TSR novel has the most realmsian feel or even D&D feel to you?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Hooded One Posted - 01 Jan 2009 : 17:39:44
Yes! Superb books, beloved by Ed and me. Deservedly classics!
love,
THO
Andvari Tyrael Posted - 01 Jan 2009 : 03:36:26
Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword by Robin Mckinley.

They have a nice realms flavour with out being set in the realms. I always laughed about the principal country being named Damar.
Faraer Posted - 31 Dec 2008 : 07:15:33
It's both immersive and by all accounts reliable in terms of scholarship.
quote:
1 The Landscape
2 The People
3 The Medieval Character
4 Basic Essentials
5 What to Wear
6 Travelling
7 Where to Stay
8 Where to Eat and Drink
9 Health and Hygiene
10 The Law
11 What to Do
MerrikCale Posted - 29 Dec 2008 : 13:12:29
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Apart from Ed's other work, and his direct influences like Guy Kay (a much more interesting writer, I think, than Jordan or Martin), I'd like to mention Ian Mortimer's non-fiction Time-Traveller's Guide to Medieval England.

that sounds interesting
Faraer Posted - 29 Dec 2008 : 07:59:16
Apart from Ed's other work, and his direct influences like Guy Kay (a much more interesting writer, I think, than Jordan or Martin), I'd like to mention Ian Mortimer's non-fiction Time-Traveller's Guide to Medieval England. It's the kind of daily-life information I love reading about historical and imaginary places, a useful one-book reference for a world that readily informs the Realms, and an interesting model for what a Life in the Dales or Life in Cormyr sourcebook could be.

As for D&D, Gary Gygax published several novels after splitting with TSR. Other than those, major D&D influence in fiction tends to be something I avoid, though I suppose it's relatively benign in China Miéville.
Braveheart Posted - 26 Dec 2008 : 17:51:19
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

Wooly's right on that one, also because BattleTech is a fairly detailed universe that compares to the Realms on a certain level - if you're not too picky about it having to be a fantasy setting

And an unfortunate similarity is that both settings were blown up, had a timejump, and wound up splitting their fanbases.

Well Wooly, that's exactly the discussion we shouldn't have here, but as Sage points out, the nations are still the same, the Clans (ok, kill off all those useless Homeworld Clans ), etc, even added some new flavours (Outworld Alliance and Clan Raven join forces - exciting! ). The Jihad added a new chapter, the Spellplague adds a new world and makes a lot of the old stuff irrelevant, because the realms no longer exist.

PM me if you want to discuss this in detail or lets set up a science group in some Off-Topic Thread
yargarth Posted - 25 Dec 2008 : 08:29:27
One of my favorite series is the Obsidian Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. I also enjoyed the King Raven Trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead. The Coyote series by Allen Steele IMO was superb.
The Sage Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 05:38:47
quote:

quote:

Wooly's right on that one, also because BattleTech is a fairly detailed universe that compares to the Realms on a certain level - if you're not too picky about it having to be a fantasy setting

And an unfortunate similarity is that both settings were blown up, had a timejump, and wound up splitting their fanbases.

Yes, but the CBT universe, as evidenced through the MechWarrior: Dark Age novels, has pretty much returned to the state it was before the Jihad -- just with a few new aspects added here and there.

The Spellplague, I think, has had more impact and established longer-lasting effects on the FR setting as a whole, when compared to the similarly-styled "setting-shattering-event" in the CBT universe.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 24 Dec 2008 : 04:59:28
quote:

The Sage Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 22:32:47
quote:

Aye. And it's been an "officially published" setting just a little longer than the Realms, starting in 1984 with the BattleDroids game. Support for the setting is still very strong, with some exciting events planned to celebrate its 25th anniversary next year.
Braveheart Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 20:56:37
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I believe Michael Stackpole's ONCE A HERO book might well have been a Realms novel, if he and the then-head of TSR's Books Department could have reached agreement on the terms of publishing it.
love to all,
THO

well, thats an interesting tidbit. I kind of like his Star wars stuff

I first discovered Stackpole thru his BattleTech stuff, and his books remain my faves from the series -- there are some other fave BT novels, but the majority are the ones he wrote.

I've only read one of his Star Wars novels, but I very much enjoyed it. One of these days I'll have to track down the Rogue Squadron stuff.

P.S.: R.A. Salvatore's Crimson Shadow trilogy was quite good as well...
Brynweir Posted - 23 Dec 2008 : 19:41:53
Anybody read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks? I've just started the first book- I'm hooked BTW - but I can totally picture it in the realms.
Brynweir Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 19:49:08
Um... I can't really say that the Coldfire Trilogy had a Realms feel. Heh, I just sort of slipped that one in there because I like it so much .
Hawkins Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 19:10:36
Echoes of the Fourth Magic, The Witch's Daughter, and Bastion of Darkness. I enjoy this trilogy and RAS's non-Realms novels, but I did not think that this trilogy really had a Realms feel.
I also really enjoyed the Cold Fire Trilogy, and need to read it again. It has been too long since I first read it to decide if it has a Realms feel or not.
ranger_of_the_unicorn_run Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 11:34:54
It's by a Realms author, but not set in the Realms or published by TSR, but I really liked R.A. Salvatore's Echoes of the Fourth Magic. I haven't been able to find books two and three yet, so I can't tell you how those are.
Thielan Posted - 10 Dec 2008 : 08:58:53
The Wars of Light and Shadow were definitely good, however it's a fairly long read though, and the writing keeps you on edge the entire time, there's lots of little climaxes throughout the each book.
The Cycle of Fire trilogy was quite good too.

The Shannara books: The Sword of Shannara, I will admit, is very like LOTR, you can definitely match characters up against LOTR characters. Howerver, Terry Brooks got into his own style of writing more after that one, and they're definitely different past that point.

Favourites would probably be (other than FR books):
Riftwar Books (Feist)
Farseer and Tawny Man Trilogies (Hobb)
Baldwin Stonewood Posted - 02 Dec 2008 : 17:18:19
David Gemmel is one of my favorites.
His Drenai Series was his cornerstone before his untimely passing. Ranked in order of publication. Waylander was probably my favorite.
1. Legend (1984)
aka Against the Horde
2. The King Beyond the Gate (1985)
3. Waylander (1986)
4. Quest for Lost Heroes (1990)
5. In the Realm of the Wolf (1992)
6. The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (1993)
7. The Legend of Deathwalker: Chronicles of Druss the Axeman (1996)
8. Winter Warriors (1993)
9. Hero in the Shadows (2000)

Brynweir Posted - 28 Nov 2008 : 20:41:44
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Thieves' World: http://www.thievesworld.info/

Good stuff.

I second that one - Thieves World could definitely fit right into the Realms. I love Hanse "The Cat"

I also recommend The Rift Wars, but I really LOVE the Wars of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts and the Cold Fire Trilogy by C.S. Freidman.

I like both of these series because they not only have really great descriptions that bring the characters to life, but they're very insightful about human nature and the thin line between good and evil. In some cases, it's all a matter of perspective and preferences. I think this idea fits in great with the pantheistic nature of the Realms. With no one all powerful figure declaring just what IS right and what is wrong, the line is much easier to blur. I love the idea that we as readers can see the mistakes being made and the flaws in logic, but the characters themselves can't see them - they really make me think... and the plots aren't half bad either
Fillow Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 19:38:49
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Well, Brooks did change the characters' names, used a sword instead of a ring, and, you know, used goblins instead of orcs

I read the French version of the Shannarah cycle years ago but I disagree with that Kaje'.

On the one hand, I did not feel it when I read the both books.
On the other hand, if the story could seem quite the same, the styles of writers made the both become very different stories.

Just my humble opinion through the translated versions of the books.
MerrikCale Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 15:05:46
quote:
Originally posted by Arion Elenim

Good stuff.

which is the best of those books?
The Sage Posted - 18 Nov 2008 : 00:38:40
Indeed. I almost overlooked it, initially, but the book store clerk was rather helpful in that regard.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 23:17:05
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I also really enjoy Stackpole's Dark Glory War.

Oh, I loved that one! All of the customs with the masks were interesting, too. The rest of the Dragoncrown War Saga was also good.

I've only just picked up the "Dragoncrown War Saga" from a local bookstore. I'll be reading it, along with a few other long-missed popular fantasy titles over the summer.

I trust you also picked up Dark Glory War? It's a prequel to the Dragoncrown War.
Hawkins Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 23:16:54
I enjoyed the rest of the Dragoncrown War Saga, just not as much as the first book.
The Sage Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 23:04:42
quote:

quote:

Oh, I loved that one! All of the customs with the masks were interesting, too. The rest of the Dragoncrown War Saga was also good.

I've only just picked up the "Dragoncrown War Saga" from a local bookstore. I'll be reading it, along with a few other long-missed popular fantasy titles over the summer.
The Red Walker Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 18:45:11
Song of Fire and Ice books by George RR Martin.

The only risk in starting them is the chances go up everyday that he wont be able to finish them!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 17:48:16
quote:

Hawkins Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 16:37:47
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

After book 10 I decided to wait until the series was finished before I would continue reading it. Book 8 was disappointing inasmuch the plot did not seem to move at all, book 9 got my hopes up the the plot would move along, and book 10 squelched all hopes I had of the plot moving along. Neither do I agree that the WoT has a "Realmsian" feel to it. Once a Hero (first mentioned by THO above) definitely has a Realmsian feel to me, and it is one of my favorite novels. I also really enjoy Stackpole's Dark Glory War. And, though it is set in the world of the movie Willow, I really think that Chris Claremont's Chronicles of the Shadow War (i.e. Shadow Moon, Shadow Dawn, and Shadow Star) has a very Realms feel. I have read the first novel at least 13 times.
Arion Elenim Posted - 16 Nov 2008 : 01:32:50

Good stuff.
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Nov 2008 : 19:49:10
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

[quote]The other flaw is that while I did enjoy The Sword of Shannara, it is, in essence, a truncated version of The Lord of the Rings.
¨

Well, Brooks did change the characters' names, used a sword instead of a ring, and, you know, used goblins instead of orcs

Seriously, does anyone know if Tolkien's estate is getting a part of the royalties from this one? I can't think of a more obvious rip-off of a previously published work since Vergilius wrote the Aenead.

Shannara wasn't the only type founded on Tolkien's works.

I rather thought Birthright was loosely based upon the Lord of the Rings as well...loosely I should add.

The whole Gorgon's Crown smacked of Mordor to me...

I actually liked the idea of the setting; but it was too small really...and was very hard to see how no major nation had emerged in so many hundreds of years. A whole continent without a single nation bigger than a Duchy just didn't pan out for me...

I should say though that I did like the setting; I just thought it needed some work. Like expanded scale and perhaps a few more powerful nations.

There was one other novel I remember reading about twenty years ago that was almost a true rip-off of Lord of the Rings...but I can't for the life of me remember the title...I tossed the thing in the garbage after about half way through. I barely remember anything about it, but pretty much if you replace Hobbits with swamp dwelling midgets, rangers with swamp running "protectors" and Sauron with a "fell and dark spirit" and then flip the map over from left to right then you can just go ahead and say you have read it so long as you have read Lord of the Rings.
Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Nov 2008 : 19:40:07
quote:
Originally posted by Drakul

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

I was never a fan of the Wheel of Time...though it was good; they were just too drawn out for my little amount of time.

Now, something I always DID love from Robert Jordan were his Conan novels...those are worth reading.

Other shorts by R.E. Howard with Conan are good reads too.

I'm really addicted to Conan stories because they have plenty of action, explore a decent fantasy world and don't take a lot of time to read.

Too bad nothing new/good has come out on Conan...and I guess it never will. I did try my hand at some Hyborian Fiction once upon a time though...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000