Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Interest in Pre-4E Lore From Wizards?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakk Posted - 13 Nov 2008 : 23:57:55
I'm creating this poll in response to the voting on my poll regarding the Obarskyr lineage document (overwhelming votes in favour, last time I looked).

Question: How interested would you be in previously-written pre-4E lore being made available on the WotC website for a download fee (rather than through DDi)?

Disclaimer: I am not pretending to have the slightest bit of power to make this happen; I am simply attempting to gauge the demand for the material and the medium. After all, Hasbro says they want to make money; PDFs are cheap to make and free to host on their own website, and worth easily a few bucks per download, depending on word count.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Quale Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 15:39:44
not interested in wizards anymore
Uzzy Posted - 19 Nov 2008 : 08:42:21
Of course I'd like to see it. However, given that I directly asked BRJ about this, and he replied that WoTC weren't interested, its highly unlikely that we will see any.

Basically, it'd go against WoTC's idea of non compatibility between 3rd and 4th Edition. Which is a big no-no.
Brimstone Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 21:14:51
-Hey Jakk "FLOG THAT DEAD HORSE TO DEATH"!!!!

-It's your games when you play. I dont have the WotC Police making me switch to 4e just yet, so I will continue playing 3e. I am using this time to collect the 4e product's that I want and then when it is time well I will cross that bridge when I get there.

BRIMSTONE
Jakk Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 20:44:17
I like that too... prevention or circumvention, either way works for me.

There you go... either say it never happened, or actually prevent it from happening in-game. Ashe certainly has the more entertaining option, but right now I'm a player in two campaigns, so world-(re)building is the only DM time I get.
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 20:25:38
Or, you can do what I'm going to when my group finishes Anauroch: Go epic level and prevent Mystra's slaying and the Spellplague.
Jakk Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 19:32:33
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-Dont forget the Undermountain book, the three FR adventures that WotC made. IMO I think they were made to show how weak Mystra and her weave really were. Blackstaff maybe?

BRIMSTONE

-In retrospect, the superadventure trilogy has the opposite effect, I think: Why go through all that trouble, and then kill her off anyway? The only way I can agree is in the sense that they highlighted that Mystra and the Weave were not as "omniscient" as many make her/it out to be, or want her/it to be. But, regardless, things end on a "good note" in Anauroch.

And the ending of Anauroch is why I was initially optimistic about the 4E Realms. But to have the PCs go through all of that adventure trilogy, only to have Mystra die offstage, just feels like a slap in the face that still stings three months later. And that's all I'm saying, because I'm happily working on my own version of events post-1373.
Lord Karsus Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 19:23:37
quote:

-Dont forget the Undermountain book, the three FR adventures that WotC made. IMO I think they were made to show how weak Mystra and her weave really were. Blackstaff maybe?

BRIMSTONE

-In retrospect, the superadventure trilogy has the opposite effect, I think: Why go through all that trouble, and then kill her off anyway? The only way I can agree is in the sense that they highlighted that Mystra and the Weave were not as "omniscient" as many make her/it out to be, or want her/it to be. But, regardless, things end on a "good note" in Anauroch.
Jakk Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 19:18:30
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Broken Record, much? <smirk>

-If you mean me? Yepper!

BRIMSTONE

No, Brimstone, I suspect he's talking about me. I've been rather... um... obnoxious in my campaign to see pre-4E lore come to light and the dissolution of now-irrelevant NDAs. I suspect that I'm flogging a dead horse, but as long as that remains strictly a metaphor, I shall continue until my morale regarding 4e improves, which will happen when I see some vague indication of what I want (the lore). I'm working on a few projects of my own, one of which (the Cormyr royal succession *including known 4E lore* and as many royal relatives as are known) is being formatted by Ashe and Wooly (because I don't have a PDF editor and my lame print-to-PDF app only does standard page sizes, meaning a pile of empty pages when printing to a printer).
Brimstone Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 18:57:26

BRIMSTONE
Lord Karsus Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 18:51:52
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvrien

This one poked me in the brain too (possibly with a q-tip). Having read the FRCG/FRPG and a fair amount of the lead-in and post-release material for 4E, some of the things that felt slightly off in the latter-stages 3E material now make mind-numbingly obvious sense. I will have to find example refs for this though.

-Right now, the events in the Empyrian Odyssey books, in that there is going to be some major upheaval in the planes. The Twilight War trilogy, I don't know, as the 4e stuff could just as well be written with those books in mind as Paul wrote them with the 4e stuff in mind. That'd be a good question to ask him.

-And, of course, there's the Lady Penitent trilogy killing numerous Drow deities, and the couple of pages at the end of AGHotR killing off a bunch of Dwarven deities.
Iluvrien Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 17:57:20
Count me in as being "Very Interested". Wow, I guess that came as a surprise to just about, well, none of any of the people who know me in The Other Place.

quote:

I noticed, in retrospect, of course, that a lot of the later 3e-era products were like that (either core D&D specifically, or things pertaining to the Forgotten Realms).

This one poked me in the brain too (possibly with a q-tip). Having read the FRCG/FRPG and a fair amount of the lead-in and post-release material for 4E, some of the things that felt slightly off in the latter-stages 3E material now make mind-numbingly obvious sense. I will have to find example refs for this though.
Lord Karsus Posted - 17 Nov 2008 : 16:46:31
quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

I see some people are not as interested for lack of trust of anything WotC touches these days. I don't see this as a request for them to publish new "old" material --and hence, a chance to screw up the Realms with a slanted spin-- but to just give us access to stuff that's been written and had a lid kept on it for whatever reasons. You know, older stuff written before Realmslore was tainted by 4e crap. They have it, its just sitting there, its not benefitting 4e to hold on to it (except to discourage 3e players from holding on to their older edition games so they'll move on to the new).

-You raise a good point, there. Anything pertaining to the "old" Forgotten Realms that is published from here on out will indeed be written with "a 4e spin" on it. I noticed, in retrospect, of course, that a lot of the later 3e-era products were like that (either core D&D specifically, or things pertaining to the Forgotten Realms).
Nerfed2Hell Posted - 16 Nov 2008 : 21:19:42
I see some people are not as interested for lack of trust of anything WotC touches these days. I don't see this as a request for them to publish new "old" material --and hence, a chance to screw up the Realms with a slanted spin-- but to just give us access to stuff that's been written and had a lid kept on it for whatever reasons. You know, older stuff written before Realmslore was tainted by 4e crap. They have it, its just sitting there, its not benefitting 4e to hold on to it (except to discourage 3e players from holding on to their older edition games so they'll move on to the new).

Personally, I would be very enthused about existing pre-4e Realmslore being released.

BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 16 Nov 2008 : 21:05:58
Vaguely interested
Brimstone Posted - 15 Nov 2008 : 00:31:33
quote:

quote:

-If you mean me? Yepper!
Now Delta, why do you automatically assume my sarcasm is aimed at you? I've noted you lowered you daily allowance of 'Smiley', so I haven't picked on you in awhile.

No, that wasn't aimed at you.

-Hey I am BRIMSTONE here ok. That other name is what I do for "fun". Because you know how much fun that other forum is. I told Sage via pm that I will be on my best behavior over here. So please call me Brimstone. I am glad I got Banned over there last weekend it allowed me to get my priorities strait, and I don't have to worry about my post's disappearing over here either. As long as I behave.

BRIMSTONE
Hawkins Posted - 15 Nov 2008 : 00:01:10
I put "Somewhat" because after all of the 4e crap involving the Realms, I am quite disillusioned with WotC as a company, and so it is really difficult for me to get excited about anything they publish anymore.
Markustay Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 21:32:48
quote:

-If you mean me? Yepper!
Now Delta, why do you automatically assume my sarcasm is aimed at you? I've noted you lowered you daily allowance of 'Smiley', so I haven't picked on you in awhile.

No, that wasn't aimed at you.
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 16:59:24
quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

Out of spite, I would prefer not give away any money to those companies. Thus, I would never be interested in such lore, as long as one would pay them for it.

However, should the material be without cost, sure.

-You don't need to buy a product for it to have an impact on scholarly discussions about the setting. For the longest time, I did not own [i]The City of the Spider Queen[/i[ adventure. That did not stop me from keeping in mind the events that take place during the module when discussing Realmslore.
Amarel Derakanor Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 16:38:37
Out of spite, I would prefer not give away any money to those companies. Thus, I would never be interested in such lore, as long as one would pay them for it.

However, should the material be without cost, sure.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 14:54:43
I voted very interested. It might not do anything, but hey, why not?
GRYPHON Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 14:36:23
Fairly interested...
Brimstone Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 13:40:04
quote:

-If you mean me? Yepper!

BRIMSTONE
arry Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 12:01:42
quote:

-Yes, yes, we are all interested, but we know that this isn't going to happen. The best that there will be is articles and information primarily relevant to the "new" Forgotten Realms, that touches on older lore from the "old" Forgotten Realms by writers/designers who do their research and throw those who want to see it a bone.

What he said ^
Markustay Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 05:33:11
Brimstone Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 04:16:59
-Vote very interested! I can always use new info, if it helps me have a better FR game then so be it.

BRIMSTONE
MerrikCale Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 03:36:58
considering its much better than the junk we are getting, hell yeah
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 01:48:38
quote:

-Yes, yes, we are all interested, but we know that this isn't going to happen. The best that there will be is articles and information primarily relevant to the "new" Forgotten Realms, that touches on older lore from the "old" Forgotten Realms by writers/designers who do their research and throw those who want to see it a bone.

This is my thinking, as well.
scererar Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 01:14:44
always, but it most likely is not going to happen.
Lord Karsus Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 00:20:01
Jakk Posted - 14 Nov 2008 : 00:12:57
Hrm... and now I can't find my original poll regarding old Cormyr lore. Oh well... maybe I need to broaden my search terms. I'll keep looking...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000