Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Nation of Ixinos

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dalor Darden Posted - 21 Oct 2008 : 15:58:41
This started as a quick project on another thread; but I thought I would move to a specific thread for my use in developing Ixion...hope I can get some feedback from others on dates, places, religions, and etc. Any feedback is welcome. I have several ideas to expand on still, but thought I would start talking more with folks to make sure I don't conflict with any sort of Canon.

Here is a second draft, still in the works:
<MAJOR SNIP HERE>

Still working on a map and the military. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Mod edit: Thread title changed, at OP's request.

EDIT (10/22/08): New 3rd draft to be found below now.

EDIT (12/4/2012): This can be found here:

EDIT (3/14/19) removed the link. This item is now on DMs Guild
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 23 Mar 2019 : 22:50:50
Naw, I accidentally doubled the size (maybe even a tad more), and then when I realized by how much (I only meant to make it a little bigger), I just said screw it, and kept it that size (and then continued to keep it that size on all future maps I did that showed that region).

Of course, it might just be easier to say there is some sort of protective effect surrounding the island, bending light/whatever, that makes it appear smaller and less conspicuous (to keep folks from investigating it further - something designed to make most people - men in particular - just 'overlook it' and keep going). That would explain the differences in size. Or even something like 'its 'out of phase' (stealing fro 4e LOL) with the real (FR) world, so its 'bigger on the inside' kind of thing.

I think I'll call it the Solar Juxtapostion Wall (created by some ancient female sun deity, like A'tar), to hide the women and make them feel safe.

Or just the 'SJW effect' for short.
Dalor Darden Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 16:08:23
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

As for Ixinos, I plan to eventually take a second (third?) look at this project, and update the map in my newer style (and reduce the size to better fit with canon).

What size should it have been? I thought we got it right.
Dalor Darden Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 15:56:30
The Ixinosan women follow the Spartan training ways with Amazonian feel added in...essentially I re-skinned Spartans.

At a maximum muster of about 6,000 to 9,000 warriors; they are pretty damned dangerous if messed with.
Markustay Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 14:54:42
As for Ixinos, I plan to eventually take a second (third?) look at this project, and update the map in my newer style (and reduce the size to better fit with canon). I'd also like to expand upon the material - more of a 'Heroines of the Realms' style book, with other groups mentioned (there are at least two other small groups of 'amazons' in canon). I truly believe the Forgotten Realms was once a great place for good strong female characters, not wishy-washy Mary-Sues. I feel the current political climate is being disingenuous, and I'd like to take a crack at a more realistic - and flattering - approach to such characters.

quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Once the Persian emperor threated to send so many archers to Sparta their arrows would blot out the sun. The reply was "We can fight in the shade."
Historians often took this as allegory, and then about 20 years ago or so they discovered the site of an ancient battle, wherein there was a layer of arrows several feet deep... one that could have easily 'blotted out the sun'.

Not everything in legend is a myth.
Delnyn Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 00:20:33
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

Man I love ancient Sparta. Defiant to the last. While reading a bit about it on Wikipedia I came across this factoid:

- Even during its decline, Sparta never forgot its claim to be the "defender of Hellenism" and its Laconic wit. An anecdote has it that when Philip II sent a message to Sparta saying "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta", the Spartans responded with the single, terse reply:"if"

that's hilarious.

That is THE perfect reply.

Once the Persian emperor threated to send so many archers to Sparta their arrows would blot out the sun. The reply was "We can fight in the shade."
sleyvas Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 11:20:06
quote:

Man I love ancient Sparta. Defiant to the last. While reading a bit about it on Wikipedia I came across this factoid:

- Even during its decline, Sparta never forgot its claim to be the "defender of Hellenism" and its Laconic wit. An anecdote has it that when Philip II sent a message to Sparta saying "If I enter Laconia, I will raze Sparta", the Spartans responded with the single, terse reply:"if"

that's hilarious.

sleyvas Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 11:19:27
quote:

that's hilarious.

Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 07:43:57
Didn't the Spartans claimed to be Heraclidae? I remember reading somewhere that Leonidas I (the one that became famous thanks to 300) claimed to be a descendant of Heracles. I guess that explains why they were depicted as so baddass.
George Krashos Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 05:19:08
They were badass, but few in number and more concerned about preventing slave revolts than fighting other Greek city-states and the Persians - at least at first.

-- George Krashos
Dalor Darden Posted - 14 Mar 2019 : 23:34:14
Edited first post is why this is showing up as "new post"

But yes, the Spartans kicked more ass in their time than almost anyone in history per individual ass kicker.
Diffan Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 21:03:38
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:
Originally posted by Xal Valzar

well how many female dominant societies can you name in real life?

I usually don't talk real world all that much; but you asked:

Elamites, Sitones, Mosuo, Vietnam prior to Chinese intervention, Padaungs, Kayaw, Hopi, Haudenosaunee, ancient Crete, early Brittonic society, and more...most Matriarchal societies in the world were only forced out via the intervention of militant male dominated societies. These cultural societies were usually due to the Christian West (with early pushes by the Christian dominated Roman and then Frankish Empires alongside the male dominated Islamic Caliphate).

My favorite quote from Ancient Greece is actually from Gorgo, Queen of Sparta, who responded to a question from a woman in Attica along the lines of, "why Spartan women were the only women in the world who could rule men?" Gorgo replied, "because we are the only women who are mothers of men".

that's hilarious.
Markustay Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 14:26:50
I've only just learned - from reading through Ed's old threads - that there is a group of 'amazons' in the King's Forest.

Not 'real' Amazons - just a 'tribe' of warrior-women who have a chip on their shoulder.
Dalor Darden Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 05:01:16
quote:

I usually don't talk real world all that much; but you asked:

Elamites, Sitones, Mosuo, Vietnam prior to Chinese intervention, Padaungs, Kayaw, Hopi, Haudenosaunee, ancient Crete, early Brittonic society, and more...most Matriarchal societies in the world were only forced out via the intervention of militant male dominated societies. These cultural societies were usually due to the Christian West (with early pushes by the Christian dominated Roman and then Frankish Empires alongside the male dominated Islamic Caliphate).

My favorite quote from Ancient Greece is actually from Gorgo, Queen of Sparta, who responded to a question from a woman in Attica along the lines of, "why Spartan women were the only women in the world who could rule men?" Gorgo replied, "because we are the only women who are mothers of men".
Xal Valzar Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 04:41:11
Dalor Darden Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 03:53:18
quote:

yeah but males are naturally dominant, i mean u cant really have a women raping a man (without some medical intervention). i mean males just saying "the hell with this" should come naturally. ehhhh

Males are naturally dominant eh? I'd have to dispute that at almost every single point.

As a husband and father, I'd have to say I've NEVER felt dominant in my life! lol

As for the Forgotten Realms, it surely isn't so! Some of the greatest powers in the Forgotten Realms are female.
Xal Valzar Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 03:19:08
yeah but males are naturally dominant, i mean u cant really have a women raping a man (without some medical intervention). i mean males just saying "the hell with this" should come naturally. ehhhh
Dalor Darden Posted - 06 Nov 2014 : 01:18:31
quote:

it just accord to me that the easiest way to defeat them is to find a way to inspire a male uprising, inspire a crusade agianst all the males, convince most of the males to leave, or sterilize the population somehow. How did pirates not think of that approach?

The same reason nobody did it for females in a male dominated society. If you would like, you can ask Ed and others; they created the She-Wolves and Ixinos.
Xal Valzar Posted - 05 Nov 2014 : 22:06:39
it just accord to me that the easiest way to defeat them is to find a way to inspire a male uprising, inspire a crusade agianst all the males, convince most of the males to leave, or sterilize the population somehow. How did pirates not think of that approach?
Dalor Darden Posted - 05 Dec 2012 : 14:27:31
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I just realized I never got a new copy (the old one went bye-bye with everything else). You can send one off to me.

Thanks - Mark

I put the link in the first post.
Markustay Posted - 05 Dec 2012 : 04:50:06
I just realized I never got a new copy (the old one went bye-bye with everything else). You can send one off to me.

Thanks - Mark
Dalor Darden Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 03:35:12
Will do...right now!

EDIT:

Never heard back from Wenin...anyone else interested in the document?
Wenin Posted - 10 Aug 2010 : 03:30:36
Well, I'm willing to try and pretty it up if you like. If you could send me the original Word Doc you made the PDF from. I'll see what I can do.

If you're interested, send me a PM and we can exchange email addresses.
Dalor Darden Posted - 09 Aug 2010 : 22:32:12
Well, as I noted to Sage, I can "make it pretty" but I'm only providing information. Its something free after all...kind of like coming here to Candlekeep and reading all the scrolls...
Wenin Posted - 09 Aug 2010 : 18:12:55
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Any feedback would be welcome as well...if there is anything particularly that contradicts Canon.

Thanks again.

I only have an issue with the excessive margins in the published pdf itself.

I've been looking at Foxit Reader to see if I could trim the white space, but no luck so far.
Asharak Posted - 27 Jul 2010 : 10:32:23
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

I would like a copy as well, please, to asharak@free.fr

You can download it instead of having to have Dalor Darden email it to you. =) He told me that he is okay we me hosting it for him.
quote:

Hosting the file on my Google Docs account.

Thank you very much...
Hawkins Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 21:40:49
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

You can download it instead of having to have Dalor Darden email it to you. =) He told me that he is okay with me hosting it for him.
quote:

Hosting the file on my Google Docs account.

Edit: One really weird sentence.
Asharak Posted - 26 Jul 2010 : 20:41:24
Dalor Darden Posted - 25 Jul 2010 : 17:22:36
quote:
Originally posted by Shadrach

Congratulations Dalor Darden!

I've been lurking this topic for the last couple years now, its great to see you were able to finish your grand project. I am also very interested in receiving a copy, if you are willing.

My email is matt_baribeau@hotmail.com

I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Hope you got a copy Shadrach!
Dalor Darden Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 18:17:33
Any feedback would be welcome as well...if there is anything particularly that contradicts Canon.

Thanks again.
Dalor Darden Posted - 23 Jul 2010 : 18:16:43
No! That is great Hawkins!

Man...I really need to "get with the times" and learn more about what I can actually do on this computer.

Thanks for hosting it Hawkins...let me know if you take it down; and I'll find another way to get it out there.

And again, thanks!

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000