Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Post-Spellplague Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
arry Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 17:28:52
Do you intend using the post-Spellplague Realms? Either now or in the future, rules-as-written, house ruled or home-brew.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HardKano Posted - 29 Aug 2014 : 00:40:10
I will start my first game in 10 years in the fifth edition ! I prefer growing with the world as it come than staying stuck in the past. everything change, even in real life ;)
Drustan Dwnhaedan Posted - 09 Jun 2014 : 00:23:14
Even though I'll probably never run and/or adventure in either 4e or 5e FR (because the DM of my gaming group hated the changes caused by the Spellplague, and because the rest of my group has completely abandoned D&D for Pathfinder), I still voted yes, as I've been writing a series of stories about my old PC characters who have survived into the 1480's.
The Arcanamach Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 21:44:03
I voted don't know. I won't be running/adventuring in the 5e era but I may buy some books for the nuggets of lore that may be in them.
Delwa Posted - 08 Jun 2014 : 15:03:17
I cherry pick from the post-Spellplague Realms. My current campaign is set in 1490 DR, and the Spellplague did happen, just not the exact same way canon puts it. Most of my sourcebooks are 2E, (but I started learning Realmslore from 3E sourcebooks and Baldur's Gate) and so if I want to adventure in an area I feel got nuked too badly, I change the history to taste.
Azuth Posted - 19 Jan 2011 : 00:22:10
I couldn't agree more - superlative intended.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

At the present, I have no need for a new campaign setting.

I understand that WotC claims that their new campaign setting is set in the same world as the Forgotten Realms, but after analysis of the materials, I can see little evidence of that. There are superficial similarities, sure, but it seems that these extend only to the names of polities and an NPC or two. The two campaign settings appear to be targeted at vastly different demographics and I regret to say that I find little in common with WotC's target audience.

Diffan Posted - 25 Dec 2009 : 03:55:07
Again, i'm in the minority lol.

I voted Yes. I've already made the conversion of one campaign from 3E to 4E Realms and am running another separate one in the setting too. I can't say I'm completly happy wth ALL the changes made, but I can live with the time jump. And I think the best part is, I use my 3E books just as much now as I did before 4E came out so I don't feel I've wasted anything. But to each his/her own.
froglegg Posted - 22 Dec 2009 : 01:42:09
No. I will not.

John
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 05 May 2009 : 19:24:52
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by bolf66

yes. and here's why I only do novels for now but I love the realms as much anybody but I know something that some are forgetting. who created this wonderful world we all know and enjoy that's right ED as much much as we care for this beautiful world of ours remember dady ED is still around and I'm possitve he's not gonna let his baby get corupted by a bunch of imps from the abyss (Wotc) he and kemp and salvator and the rest will save us from calamity

None of those folks control what happens to the Realms... We wouldn't have had the Sellplague, if they did. I doubt we'd have had any of the RSEs with Ed at the helm.

True enough...unfortunately
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 May 2009 : 01:11:43
quote:
Originally posted by bolf66

yes. and here's why I only do novels for now but I love the realms as much anybody but I know something that some are forgetting. who created this wonderful world we all know and enjoy that's right ED as much much as we care for this beautiful world of ours remember dady ED is still around and I'm possitve he's not gonna let his baby get corupted by a bunch of imps from the abyss (Wotc) he and kemp and salvator and the rest will save us from calamity

None of those folks control what happens to the Realms... We wouldn't have had the Sellplague, if they did. I doubt we'd have had any of the RSEs with Ed at the helm.
bolf66 Posted - 05 May 2009 : 00:29:00
Korginard Posted - 04 May 2009 : 19:18:07
Essentaily, 4th Edition is just a collection of ideas as far as I'm concerned. Some good, some bad. While I've seen nothing (especially the state of 4th edition realms) that I would use exclusively, I do like some of the ideas that came with 4th edition. All in all I'd stick with 3rd Edition rules and use 4th edition strictly for new ideas and ways of looking at things.
The new cosmology for one. I think the Elemental Chaos/Astral Sea works better than the old wheel cosmology. I like the Feywild and Shadowfell and feel they can fit into the "Old Realms" without much problem.
As far as the 4th Edition Realms? My feeling is too much lost for too little gained. Lots of great real estate like Mulhorand, Unther, and Halruua lost for no good reason.
I also liked the Gods as they were, no pruning needed. No Exarchs, no Spellplauge to kill a bunch of them off.
I like some of the ideas of Returned Abeir, but I see no reason to loose Maztica and associated lands by dropping a new continent on top of it. Since I've always liked the idea of Spelljammer I'd probably just put a planet called Abeir in the same orbit as Toril, or perhaps use the ideas I like to fill in the "unknown" areas of Toril.
So no to using 4th Edition and it's version of the Realms in it's entirity, but there are ideas here and there that can be used.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 04 May 2009 : 15:13:27
Read my LJ and my RANTs and you can guess why I voted no... not that there ever was any doubt
RedneckBadgerLord Posted - 04 May 2009 : 10:28:31
4E is a travesty all around, folks. I'm in the process of writing an alternate future (as are many people these days) in which Mystra is wounded, but not killed.

No I do not like Spellplague, but stopping it is a good plot-device for PCs.
Bladewind Posted - 27 Apr 2009 : 13:12:44
I can't suppress the sense of curiosity I get when pondering the 15th century Realms. I will definately think a couple of good reads set in post spellplague fearun will spark my interest in actually playing there even further.

Good times are ahead with evocative authors such as Cordell, Kemp, Scott-De Bie and others on board!
Kyrene Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 13:31:03
How about never? Is never a good and long enough time? I would rather the Year of Blue Fire destroy Toril and all in and on it than... Well, I guess you get where I'm going here. *sigh*
Kuje Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 09:36:54
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

Yes, but just because you're different doesn't mean you can't use the name yourself.

Like the Sith in starwars, like Darth Vader, have nothing to do with true sith, but they took up the name anyway.

Sure, if you want it in your own setting. There's no canon material though. So nope, they don't have any relation to each other.

If you find canon lore to convince me, then I'll agree with you but there isn't any. And that was what swifty was asking and thus the answer is no, there is NO connection with Shade.

I'm really not sure why this continues to be a debate. The Shadevari are a race of beings that are iron-gray lizard scaled, horned, barbed, and clawed and they serve the Shadowking. The Shadovar are the citizens of the Shade Enclave. Neither have any relation to the other.

SIGH.
Tyr Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 08:58:40
Yes, but just because you're different doesn't mean you can't use the name yourself.

Like the Sith in starwars, like Darth Vader, have nothing to do with true sith, but they took up the name anyway.
Kuje Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 23:14:37
quote:
Originally posted by Tyr

It could be that they took up the name when they converted to Shar.

Nope, since they are two completely different things, as I said. :)

Plus, Caledan Caldorien has nothing to do with the Shade Enclave and he, at one point, became the new Shadowking of the Shadevari, which took place ten years or so before the Shade Enclave returned to Faerun.

Rereading the history of the Shadowking, it was created by a artifact and formed it's own empire, which was then destroyed. During one battle with yuan-ti, the Shadowking's armies and the yuan-ti's armies created the Fields of the Dead.
Tyr Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 22:10:44
It could be that they took up the name when they converted to Shar.
Kuje Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 21:44:35
quote:
Originally posted by swifty

[are they the same as the shadevari from curse of the shadowmage.according to powers and pantheons they were the 13 lords of shadow and existed before the gods.

Nope, those are different. :) Shade is from the Netheril enclave of Shade. Shadevari were from the fight between Shar and Selune, if not earlier.
swifty Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 21:37:59
[quote]Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

The Shadovar have undergone some changes by becoming Shades and switching their alignment to Shar. The Empire of Netheril of old was neutral in its outlook, I think, and not bound to a single (evil) goddess. On the contrary, Halruaa has every right to claim being the true Empire of Netheril, resembling it much closer than the one (two) city state of New Netheril.
[/quoteare they the same as the shadevari from curse of the shadowmage.according to powers and pantheons they were the 13 lords of shadow and existed before the gods.
edappel Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 21:21:54
I think everybody should experience it. And then, later take opinions.

(Now I can say that I think 3rd edition realm is better... Even so, 4e realm is very good.)
Jorkens Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 20:19:20
No surprises here as I never left the TSR era. I wouldn't DM' it, but then again I couldn't have handled the canon 3ed. Realms either. On the other hand, if I, for some strange reason, should end up as a player and the campaign wanted to use the 4ed. Realms, I wouldn't have any problems with participating. I would be as curious as to how the world was presented by the DM as I would by any other new world.
Eye of Horus-Re Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 20:12:19
I most certainly voted no. I love my Realms the way it is, thank you very much. With Elminsters and Blackstaves and 7 Sisters and MAGIC MISSLES THAT CANT MISS!!!!! Ok Im done now. :) As for the 4e players. Have fun with it if thats what you like, but I love my FR the way it is. To much work from too many people (Most especially Ed) to just say "Thanks, but all that is worthless now"
Tyr Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 19:39:02
yeah, which is a shame, cos you know the proverb about polishing a turd.

If I ever had to deal with a Spellplague event in game i'd probably go with my first impression when I heard the first rumours going round, that it was somekind of magical affliction targeted at spellcasters. I suppose in that case you could convert spellscarred into carriers of the sickness.
shoonvii Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 18:53:39
I'm an old-timer, but I'm making it work. My campaigns have always focused on the characters, not "the big picture" so it hasn't been hard. I really dislike a lot of the changes, but do my best to make it still feel like the Realms. We have continued old storylines from previous editions with long-lived characters or descendants of characters long-dead and the campaign is going strong.

I AM saddened by what has happened to the core community of Realms fans, however. Years ago, it seemed like you could find tons of awesome fan-made stuff online for the Realms, but these days the excitement seems to be gone. The only stuff I can find is the stuff that was there before the transition to 4e (the stuff I already had). The designers seem to have really alienated a lot of folks.

I look forward to more great 4e novels from the likes of Schend and Kemp, though. Those guys have really done a lot with the turd sandwich 4e dealt them.
Darkheyr Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 13:19:01
My group is presently stumbling through the Weloon adventure. If they follow the story line long enough after that, and the campaign actually lasts that long, the "Year of the Revelation" will eventually be reached.

There will be no Spell Plague.

I'm somewhat partial to reviving good olde Bhaal and Myrkul instead. *smirks*
houstonderek Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 11:57:33
I'm not moving on to the 4e Realms. To be honest, the setting (three editions worth of material) will probably just entertain me as reading material form here on out, with an occasional revival for old times sake. I'm going to move on to Pathfinder as my "D&D" rules set, and I'll be exploring the possibilities of Golarion and reviving my homebrew.

I don't particularly care for 4e or the Spellplague Realms, but I am glad that 4e has attracted some new players to the hobby. We need all the fresh blood we can get (and retrain) at this point, lest us Grognards be running the last games in the "Shady Oaks Retirement Home", our grandkids looking on, shaking their heads at the old ones playing that "silly book game" while WoWing from their chip implant...
Lemernis Posted - 23 Nov 2008 : 20:45:14
I really don't like at all what the developers did with the setting in 4e. I'm certainly not drawn to it. In fact I'm kind of repulsed by it. It feels as if an extraordinary creation, something truly grand, and very intricately constructed in loving detail by many, many sets of hands had been surreptitiously smashed to bits by a bunch of brainless kids. To me what the developers did denotes a fundamental lack of regard for all the hard work and care that went into building up what may be the vastest, most elaborate fantasy setting ever designed.

Anyway, I'm a computer gamer. So what I do revolves around that medium. If a really good game came out that used 4th edition, I'd play it, sure. But for the immediate foreseeable future I'm perfectly content creating mods for the Baldur's Gate series (set in my favorite edition, 2e AD&D). If I ever get the bug to toolset or write lore for a NWN series PW again it could be in 4e but I'll have to see what the future brings. I don't have any plans for it, let's put it that way.
UNSpacy Posted - 23 Nov 2008 : 16:01:11
Such colorful words for hating on the Realms and 4e. :|

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000