Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff Tower - Chapter 20 - 27 & Epilogue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 08:56:56
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Blackstaff Tower (Book 1 of Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep), by Steven Schend. Please discuss chapters 20 - 27 and the epilogue herein.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xar Zarath Posted - 23 May 2012 : 05:46:05
Oh i see, well then maybe you could ask Mr.Wizard who lives by the coast pretty please to use Priamon again??
Steven Schend Posted - 22 May 2012 : 19:30:51
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

The Villainous Wizards please!

Do WOTC/Hasbro dictate what you write?? I thought authors could choose what they wanted to write especially in FR there are so many diverse characters to choose from...

The company owns the characters and world, so for me to bother with writing an entire novel, I'd need to know I had the go-ahead to use them (not to mention needing a contract before I'd want to invest the time and energy to write a novel in the first place).

They don't choose what the authors write too tightly, but things like this are decided and negotiated at the outline/beginning stages.

Steven
Xar Zarath Posted - 22 May 2012 : 06:26:13
The Villainous Wizards please!

Do WOTC/Hasbro dictate what you write?? I thought authors could choose what they wanted to write especially in FR there are so many diverse characters to choose from...
Dennis Posted - 22 May 2012 : 04:18:53

Priamon. Another villain who hardly got the spotlight. [Time to have The Villains series!]
Steven Schend Posted - 21 May 2012 : 19:51:27
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Nah hes toast you dont mess with the mad mage of the undermountain and survive.

Correction--you don't mess with Halaster and survive unscathed.

However, Priamon's status--oh-so-seriously-scathed without any doubt--is ultimately up to Wizards/Hasbro to decide.

If I were asked to do another story and bring him back, he'd have a long hard row to hoe before being more active than as a skull and partial spine (and used for at least 20 years as Halaster's swizzle stick).

Steven
Thauranil Posted - 21 May 2012 : 12:03:43
Nah hes toast you dont mess with the mad mage of the undermountain and survive.
Xar Zarath Posted - 21 May 2012 : 08:15:27
If you are going with a third book can you please bring back Priamon "he who must not be called that" Rakesk? His involvement with the Blackstaff will be interesting to see...
Dennis Posted - 12 Jan 2011 : 17:18:53
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I just finished Blackstaff Tower, great read. It is refreshing to have heroes of lower level, but as interesting as those of higher levels (more in some cases). Renaer was really my favorite character, who felt the more alive to me. That gnome sage was awesome too. It was my first novel post-spellplague, and it has erased my fears, I looking foward to more.

The realms are still alive folks.

When did the Realms die, anyway?!

Seriously, I agree that it's indeed refreshing to see low level heroes, even if oft times I still prefer the higher level ones.
Kilvan Posted - 05 Aug 2010 : 13:50:44
I just finished Blackstaff Tower, great read. It is refreshing to have heroes of lower level, but as interesting as those of higher levels (more in some cases). Renaer was really my favorite character, who felt the more alive to me. That gnome sage was awesome too. It was my first novel post-spellplague, and it has erased my fears, I looking foward to more.

The realms are still alive folks.
Dennis Posted - 21 Apr 2010 : 02:25:48
I read this last year, and it was good. Not maybe a masterpiece, but it was worth my time and money. Ten Rings was interesting enough. I'm not much of a fan, though, of the new Blackstaff. =)
Steven Schend Posted - 13 Dec 2009 : 17:04:20
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Question... I find it completely unlikely that Elaith "The Serpent" Craulnober didn't know anything about the happenings in this book.

As you must know, Elaith runs 75% of Waterdeep and it's underground. In the novel "City of Splendours" by Ed and Elaine, he ends up involving himself into the plot of the story just because Waterdeep is HIS city, and he'd rather run off all those he sees as a threat than suffer them a piece of how he likes his Waterdeep to be.

In the novel "Silverfall" he shows his face in the sewer tunnels at the very end and actually kills the one person that the seven sisters couldn't seem to put down themselves.... all in the name of HIS city and how he likes it to be.

Maybe in the next series or trilogy that continues this book you can elaborate on how this comes to be. Possibly chat with EC and EG and ask their advice on this outcome.

Your fan,
CEV

While I'd love to work with and write a story with Elaith, there's three big (and a few little) reasons why I couldn't even hint at his existence in Blackstaff Tower:

1. While Ed created Elaith, Elaine Cunningham's been almost exclusively the lady with her hands on the Serpent's reins. Thus, just from professional propriety, he wasn't my character with whom to work.

2. WotC specifically asked me to avoid using any major characters from the past and craft new characters or flesh out those in the Waterdeep bible for 1479 DR.

3. Elaith's as long-lived as he is by avoiding much to do with the Blackstaff beyond necessity. Thus, he'd really not factor into the story I was telling because of that.

4. I'm not speculating one way or the other as to the status of Elaith Craulnobur in the current FR timeline, but his story really would have had nothing to do with the title I was given for the novel--Blackstaff Tower.

5. I'm not the best person for writing truly cutthroat characters and backstabbers like Elaith. I just don't think I have it in me, honestly. It's one of the reasons why Empires of the Shining Sea was one of the hardest things I ever had to write--nearly everyone down Calimshan-way is cutthroat (at least how I saw it).

6. The focus of the story stays very tightly on Renaer Neverember and those close to him. As he has little to no knowledge of or contact with the Serpent, that keeps him out of the sphere of the story.

7. Who's to say what Elaith knew or didn't know of the goings-on in this novel? If given the chance (and paid for it by WotC), I'd happily reconstruct a short story examining Elaith's take on the events of the novel, how they affect him, and all that. Unlikely to happen, but it'd be fun.

8. The only true criminals in the book (at least from the eyes of the law before the story's climax) were Vharem and Osco, and they're far too minor as thieves to fall under Elaith's notice.

9. Many, many characters have felt that Waterdeep was HIS/HER city over the years. I've had the honor and privilege to write about one of the longest lived ones, and I'll quote Khelben Arunsun: "The City of Splendors is neither the demense nor the province of any one individual, no matter how much one might wish or believe it otherwise. Even the most influential of Open Lords admit that Waterdeep is a confluence of people, power, and pride, not merely a place to control or rule."

Wow. Longer response than I have time for, but one I wanted to share. I hope I don't sound like I'm shutting down the idea, as it'd be fascinating to see Elaith again; I'm just pointing out reasons why he doesn't factor in this novel specifically (and hopefully pointing out ways that each character contributes a different viewpoint on everything). Thanks, CEV, for the fun mental exercise this morning; sorry I couldn't work the Serpent into the modern Realms for you.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 02 Dec 2009 : 03:21:18
Question... I find it completely unlikely that Elaith "The Serpent" Craulnober didn't know anything about the happenings in this book.

As you must know, Elaith runs 75% of Waterdeep and it's underground. In the novel "City of Splendours" by Ed and Elaine, he ends up involving himself into the plot of the story just because Waterdeep is HIS city, and he'd rather run off all those he sees as a threat than suffer them a piece of how he likes his Waterdeep to be.

In the novel "Silverfall" he shows his face in the sewer tunnels at the very end and actually kills the one person that the seven sisters couldn't seem to put down themselves.... all in the name of HIS city and how he likes it to be.

Maybe in the next series or trilogy that continues this book you can elaborate on how this comes to be. Possibly chat with EC and EG and ask their advice on this outcome.

Your fan,
CEV
Steven Schend Posted - 20 Mar 2009 : 16:51:23
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I enjoyed this Bon so much I have to agree another Blackstaff Book would be great. The original novel was superb. Blackstaff the next generation was excellent , so I think that Blackstaff deep space 9 is totally needed!

Vajra the Blackstaff--boldly staying where no one has stayed before!

Um, waitaminnit....

Thanks for the kind words, folks. Glad you've enjoyed the book that much (and your voices to WotC's ears on getting a 3rd book....).

Steven
The Red Walker Posted - 19 Mar 2009 : 15:29:51
I enjoyed this Bon so much I have to agree another Blackstaff Book would be great. The original novel was superb. Blackstaff the next generation was excellent , so I think that Blackstaff deep space 9 is totally needed!
Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 00:52:05
Steven this was an amazing novel! I absolutely enjoyed how much history was laid out in just this novel. The characters were brilliantly written.

My favorite character was Meloon. Such a heroic character full of honor and duty(kind of reminded me of Worf from Star Trek T.N.G.). As well, I loved how you gave us bits of all the previous Blackstaffs. Especially Khelben. I'm glad that even in the 105 year leap we still see him and his influence in the Realms. I was also very intrigued by Ashemmon. I hope that we get to learn more about him in the future.

Also, I agree with most others on this forum in hoping that we'll see another Blackstaff book. Thus far, I'd have to say that this is the best 4E book to date. Thanks for a great read!
Steven Schend Posted - 18 Jan 2009 : 23:08:41
quote:
Originally posted by Monikan

I finished reading this novel and I wanted to get this idea out of my head.

The Blackstaff's in the tower are just copies of their minds.
To actually help the new Blackstaff she/he must be inside the tower.
Any former Blackstaff can possess the body of the current one.

Is it me or does it sound like Blackstaff tower is simply one gigantic Selu'Kiira?

We know that Khelben Blackstaff was very good at making Telkiira so the fact that one of his biggest legacy's and ultimate creations would be a Selu'Kiira does not seem so far fetched to me.

If you were going to infiltrate Blackstaff tower it would make more sense to approach it as if you were trying to harness a hostile Selu'Kiira rather than an actual tower and so plan your spells more accordingly.

*scampers off to alert his evil overlords*

You people are far more evil than I could ever be....

Steven
who inflicted the Manshoon Wars on y'all....and he liked it!
Monikan Posted - 18 Jan 2009 : 06:23:30
I finished reading this novel and I wanted to get this idea out of my head.

The Blackstaff's in the tower are just copies of their minds.
To actually help the new Blackstaff she/he must be inside the tower.
Any former Blackstaff can possess the body of the current one.

Is it me or does it sound like Blackstaff tower is simply one gigantic Selu'Kiira?

We know that Khelben Blackstaff was very good at making Telkiira so the fact that one of his biggest legacy's and ultimate creations would be a Selu'Kiira does not seem so far fetched to me.

If you were going to infiltrate Blackstaff tower it would make more sense to approach it as if you were trying to harness a hostile Selu'Kiira rather than an actual tower and so plan your spells more accordingly.

*scampers off to alert his evil overlords*
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 28 Oct 2008 : 17:58:06
Y'know, Steven, there's always non-canon fan-fiction...
Na-Gang Posted - 28 Oct 2008 : 17:46:59
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Steven
who wishes he could have written a Sememmon/Ashemmi novel but that door's closed, alas

I would have loved to have read that... *sob*
Steven Schend Posted - 28 Oct 2008 : 16:12:07
quote:
Originally posted by Ancharez

quote:
And I'm not overstating this--Ashemmon was born about seven months after Krehlan and his sister were, and all three children were among a large number of children born in Rhymanthiin between six months and a year after the rising of the City of Hope. Alas, more details on the fates of those children fall regrettably under the NDA....

SES

Wait... so... assuming that Ashemmon is the Dirty Duo's son... Ashemmi was pregnant during the events of Blackstaff? 0o; Well, she hides it well.

Well, she did hide it well, yes, but Ashemmi didn't get pregnant (at least in my opinion) until after the rise of Rhymanthiin. Laeral was the only pregnant person in the rituals (though perhaps a few folks have been gestating and/or pregnant while they were sharn and finally came to term after they returned to their original forms). That's a far stretch, mind you, but if you're interested in doing such, go right ahead.

Steven
who wishes he could have written a Sememmon/Ashemmi novel but that door's closed, alas
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Oct 2008 : 14:56:08
quote:
Originally posted by Ancharez

quote:
And I'm not overstating this--Ashemmon was born about seven months after Krehlan and his sister were, and all three children were among a large number of children born in Rhymanthiin between six months and a year after the rising of the City of Hope. Alas, more details on the fates of those children fall regrettably under the NDA....

SES

Wait... so... assuming that Ashemmon is the Dirty Duo's son... Ashemmi was pregnant during the events of Blackstaff? 0o; Well, she hides it well.

She more likely didn't get pregnant until just after the novel ended. Besides, for the first couple of months, most women don't show any visible signs of pregnancy. Some women even make it to 5 or 6 months before they really start showing.
Ancharez Posted - 28 Oct 2008 : 07:43:07
quote:

SES

Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 19:21:10
That's what I figured.
Steven Schend Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 19:19:24
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

*snip*
Alas, I can say for certain she's not a child or direct descendant of Arilyn and Danilo, though she does have distant blood ties to Khelben and Gamalon Idogyr.

Steven

The highlighted part sounds much like a NDA waiting to be smacked down. Can you confirm that Danilo and Arilyn had children?

No I cannot for two simple reasons:
1) They're not my characters, but Elaine's.
2) NDAs blanket those characters as it currently stands.

In short, if YOU want them to marry and have children, that's fine for your campaign. Officially, I suspect the best answer you'll get is "No comment."

Steven
who tinkered with a few Thanns in Lands of Intrigue, which leave enough hints for folks to figure out some links to the names and lineages among the nobles therein
Steven Schend Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 19:15:50
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

quote:

quote:

This book made me feel rather misty-eyed. I loved that part where the spirits of former Blackstaffs first appeared. It's so good to see that Khelben and Kyriani aren't gone completely. About Krehlan; what happened to his murderer? Did the following blackstaff incinerate that scum?

Yes, Ashemmon avenged his life-long friend's murder quite handily in one of his few times where he was "less than politic."

About the spirits in the tower, are they the real souls/spirits/essences/whatever of those people or copies? I was a bit unsure about it at the end of the book.

For all intents and purposes, they seem to be spirits/ghosts, but in actuality, they are copies of full personalities and memory templates but NOT the souls/essences.

It'd be too evil to have every former Blackstaff denied their afterlife rewards by tying their souls to the tower. Especially Khelben.

Steven
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 19:10:55
quote:

*snip*
Alas, I can say for certain she's not a child or direct descendant of Arilyn and Danilo, though she does have distant blood ties to Khelben and Gamalon Idogyr.

Steven

The highlighted part sounds much like a NDA waiting to be smacked down. Can you confirm that Danilo and Arilyn had children?
Steven Schend Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 19:08:40
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

1 Burning question : Vajra is from Tethyr and her aunt's last name was Gyrfalcon-Thann.

Is Varja Danilo and Arilyn's Grandaughter?(or other descendant)

She's an "other" descendant. I do have a family tree worked out, but she's more than two generations removed from the Thanns you know. Alas, I can say for certain she's not a child or direct descendant of Arilyn and Danilo, though she does have distant blood ties to Khelben and Gamalon Idogyr.

Steven
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 16:08:18
quote:

quote:

quote:

This book made me feel rather misty-eyed. I loved that part where the spirits of former Blackstaffs first appeared. It's so good to see that Khelben and Kyriani aren't gone completely. About Krehlan; what happened to his murderer? Did the following blackstaff incinerate that scum?

Yes, Ashemmon avenged his life-long friend's murder quite handily in one of his few times where he was "less than politic."

About the spirits in the tower, are they the real souls/spirits/essences/whatever of those people or copies? I was a bit unsure about it at the end of the book.

I'll defer to Steven on this, since he's the expert. But I do recall in the conversation between Krehlan and Renaer in the Tower where Renaer talks about the kiira and how, by storing the user's memories, is actually a reflection of that person. No life-essence, but a complete copy of their knowledge and personality.
Alisttair Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 15:59:19
Just want to state that I read it and enjoyed it. The third book will HAVE to come out one day
khorne Posted - 14 Oct 2008 : 15:39:39
quote:

quote:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000