Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The Iron Throne

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Cardinal Posted - 15 Sep 2003 : 23:11:10
Just out of curiousity, has the Iron Throne done anything of note as of late? I have not heard of any recent actions and am just wondering if they have been eradicated or on the move in recent events? Any information is welcome... as well as rebukes.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Knight of the Gate Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 05:51:33
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric Boyd did what he could to reconcile the Baldur's Gate novel with the material in Cloak & Dagger in his "Power of Faerûn" section on them. What more did you want/need?

-- George Krashos

The IT section of PoF was very good: That tome had its problems (not from a writing perspective, but from an editorial one: a great many omissions and errors) but the IT section was not one of them.
George Krashos Posted - 20 Jul 2010 : 02:08:08
Eric Boyd did what he could to reconcile the Baldur's Gate novel with the material in Cloak & Dagger in his "Power of Faerûn" section on them. What more did you want/need?

-- George Krashos
Zireael Posted - 19 Jul 2010 : 18:41:21
*Casts Resurrection of the Thread*

I'm looking for a good way to combine canon and BG1 look upon the Iron Throne. Any ideas?
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 04 Oct 2008 : 18:39:47
Geas/Quest
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependent, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 6, Clr 6, Sor/Wiz 6
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Target: One living creature
Saving Throw: None
This spell functions similarly to lesser geas, except that it affects a creature of any HD and allows no saving throw.
Instead of taking penalties to ability scores (as with lesser geas), the subject takes 3d6 points of damage each day it does not attempt to follow the geas/quest. Additionally, each day it must make a Fortitude saving throw or become sickened. These effects end 24 hours after the creature attempts to resume the geas/ quest.
A remove curse spell ends a geas/quest spell only if its caster level is at least two higher than your caster level. Break enchantment does not end a geas/quest, but limited wish, miracle, and wish do.
Bards, sorcerers, and wizards usually refer to this spell as geas, while clerics call the same spell quest.

Geas, Lesser
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependent, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One living creature with 7 HD or less
Duration: One day/level or until discharged (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
A lesser geas places a magical command on a creature to carry out some service or to refrain from some action or course of activity, as desired by you. The creature must have 7 or fewer Hit Dice and be able to understand you. While a geas cannot compel a creature to kill itself or perform acts that would result in certain death, it can cause almost any other course of activity.
The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes.
If the instructions involve some open-ended task that the recipient cannot complete through his own actions the spell remains in effect for a maximum of one day per caster level. A clever recipient can subvert some instructions:
If the subject is prevented from obeying the lesser geas for 24 hours, it takes a –2 penalty to each of its ability scores. Each day, another –2 penalty accumulates, up to a total of –8. No ability score can be reduced to less than 1 by this effect. The ability score penalties are removed 24 hours after the subject resumes obeying the lesser geas.
A lesser geas (and all ability score penalties) can be ended by break enchantment, limited wish, remove curse, miracle, or wish. Dispel magic does not affect a lesser geas.

Ardashir Posted - 04 Oct 2008 : 16:50:11
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

- the Iron Throne owes it's creation to an unrelated event in 1278 DR (Year of Many Bones). The half-devil birth of Sfena. She is the daughter of the baatezu Glasya, Princess of Hell, and an unknown, unnamed father.

I will stop here for a moment, because that piece of information is interesting in itself. Given Princess Glasya's renown as being leader of the Erinyes, it is a little known fact that once, long ago (before she and her 'activities' were brought under control by her 'father' Asmodeus) Glasya flitted from devil court to devil court throughout most of the nine layers of Hell. We know she had an affair with Mammon, Lord of the Third, but it now seems that at one time she had an affair also, with a mortal. It is also possible that she had visited a male mortal during one of her frequent visits to Faerun (since she can travel to the Material Plane without being summoned) making dangerous use of her polymorph ability. Anyway, this raises the question...who was Sferna's father?.

Hm, since I'm still using Realms 3.5, that is some useful info, esp. as I have one character from Sembia with something... odd, about her family tree.

And wasn't Glasya putting together at least one organization of female warlocks in the 3.5 Realms?
Jakk Posted - 21 Sep 2008 : 09:30:49
Yes, I know the original thread is five years old... but I'm looking for some clarification regarding an entry in the GHotR. The rest of the Iron Throne leadership is meeting in secret in Ordulin on Tarsakh 21, 1374 DR: "..., and the effects of Sfena's geas spells begin to fade." Through some research, I've discovered who Sfena is (the founder of the Iron Throne; the daughter of Glasya and an unknown father, possibly one of the Dark Eight), but I'd like to know wassup with the spells. I'm not asking why she needed to geas her lieutenants; she's the daughter of an archdevil(?), and that's all the reason she needs. I'm more curious about the subject matter of the geas spells... is there a novel I need to read? I've been out of touch with the novels for a long time. If not, which gaming products do I need? I have most 1E/2E stuff, but not with me; in storage elsewhere. I have all the 3E Realms stuff with me, and didn't find a lot of detail in Power of Faerun, and nothing at all in Champions of Ruin or Lords of Darkness, which really surprised me.

Sage: Do you still have those aforementioned files? If so, are they available via email?

Any help anyone can give me is much appreciated; I find the Iron Throne to be sadly lacking in detail in 3E sources, and I don't have my copy of Cloak & Dagger with me where I'm living now.
Phantom_Lord Posted - 17 Jun 2004 : 15:28:24
Could I too, be privy to this information?

wookie.dm@gmail.com

Kudos.
The Sage Posted - 18 Oct 2003 : 09:00:38
An interesting question...

Some research is now in order...

lowtech Posted - 17 Oct 2003 : 20:39:39
I wonder if Gargauth has anything to do with this? Is there some connection between the powers behind the Iron Throne and the power behind the Knights of the Shield?
Arivia Posted - 16 Oct 2003 : 11:21:46
You'll need my email:
arivia1@hotmail.com
The Sage Posted - 16 Oct 2003 : 10:21:18
Sure Jander. I arrive back in Perth tonight, so I will once again have access to my gaming materials. I'll see about sending you a copy as well.

Jander Sunstar Posted - 15 Oct 2003 : 23:26:57
Can u pease send me too my email is:
cbasaran@ku.edu.tr
the othe does not work I dont know what happened
Hey you ' r gonna send me
or r u too busy?
Arivia Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 07:15:59
Thanks, Sage.
The Sage Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 07:12:33
No problem Arivia. I will also send you some material that was presented on the PS3e site before it fell away into the ether, then returned.

The Cardinal Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 07:10:18
This is such excellent news!!!! * Claps hands giddily*
Such wonderful information, such wonderful knowledge.
Infernal politics are always the most colorful. The Iron throne will rise to such great heights... it merely needs to extent it's packing to the parentage of it's founder... what a weapon it could be.
Arivia Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 07:07:46
I'm intrigued. Would you please send me the information?
The Sage Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 06:58:23
Cardinal, here's some 'juicy' information for you -

- BAALZEPHON, the Minister of Supply, is one of the two most ancient surviving members of the Eight, and the one who remains most free of entanglements with Baator's nobility. Baalzephon believes she most purely serves the purpose for which the Dark Eight were created, reducing the power of the Lords of the Nine.

- PEARZA is the Minister of Research.
The first Pearza is said to have been torn apart by maelephants, shortly after their creation. The second Pearza was shamed after he created the blood fiends, originally an attempt to create a disease that would wipe out the tanar'ri. The third Pearza was killed in an explosion in her workshop in Nessus, cause unknown. The fourth Pearza lives on, its mind held within a crystalline golem's body. The fifth Pearza, who had won fame as creator of a sweets factory in Minauros, was lost to the ice of Cania, led astray by the Lady Baalphegor.

- Perhaps the most ambitious of the Eight, the treacherous ZAEBOS is the Minster of Promotions. Zaebos appears as a stern-faced, humorless man; he is hairless, with skin of slate gray. He wears a formal suit, and keeps a crocodile as a pet. The crocodile is said to contain the spirit of his predecessor, the Sweet Soldier.

- ZAPAN, the minister of immortal relations, is as suave as Dagos is crude and intimidating. The original zapan is believed to have served no less than three Lords of the Nine before being recruited by Cantrum.

- DAGOS is probably the best known of all the Dark Eight, although he is also the least accessible. He does not appear publicly like Zimmimar does, but then again, he isn't replaced nearly as frequently. It would not do to replace the Marshall of the Pits, and the commander-in-chief of the Baatorian armies too often.

- CORIN, Spymaster. "Corin" is a name that few people would dare to speak aloud. Corin is the Watching Eye and the Alert Ear, He Who Never Sleeps, the Eavesdropping Shadow, and is still known by many names.

- FURCAS, Minister of Mortal Relations

- ZIMIMAR, Minister of Morale

That's all I have for basic information. There is more, but I think it would be best to just use ethereal mail...

Arivia Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 02:00:20
According to Lords of Darkness, Sfena's father is the fiend, a powerful devil. Too many conflicting sources. One thing all sources agree on is that Sfena's at least half-fiend.
Cyric Posted - 19 Sep 2003 : 23:07:51
Yeh who are they and i did not figure how did you get that half-baatezu as the founder
The Cardinal Posted - 19 Sep 2003 : 17:07:23
Well I no naught but their names: Baalzephon, Corin, Dagos, Furcas, Pearza, Zapan, Zaebos, and Zimmimar. That is my extent of my knowledge of them... And I'm thankful for just that much...
The Sage Posted - 19 Sep 2003 : 08:56:58
What exactly do you wish to know?. Understandably information on them is vague (and with good reason), but I am sure I have a number of files dealing with them somewhere here...

The Cardinal Posted - 18 Sep 2003 : 18:08:44
Alas, I have heard only vague rumor and gossip about the Dark Eight, I know more about the Lords of the Nine, than I do about the dark Eight, of the Dark eight I know naught but their names... Any one care to elaborate for me plez?
Arivia Posted - 18 Sep 2003 : 11:59:42
Well, whatever one it is, it wanted her back...badly.
The Sage Posted - 18 Sep 2003 : 08:24:58
Actually, what is interesting is a particular rumor floating around Sigil's taverns at the moment that perhaps one of the 'generals' of the Dark Eight is her father...but which one?.

The Cardinal Posted - 17 Sep 2003 : 18:31:59
This Cannot be better than expected. Not only Is My beloved Iron Throne information correct ( more or less) But owes it's founding to a Half-Baatezu!!! This is most excellent and fits into my plans perfectly. After all the Deities only Corrupt the natural order of the multiverse. Celestial Versus Fiend.. The way is should be!!! But I digress. I never knew how great the Iron Throne Truely was... Sferna's Father? I'd vote Elminister, That old goat was always hitting on anything in a skirt... plus I hear he really likes his drinks... heheheheheheh ....
Ok may he isn't...
The Sage Posted - 17 Sep 2003 : 07:30:09
Actually Cardinal, you pretty much covered the basics. Most of the material you have presented is accurate.

I'll just add some more interesting little 'tidbits' -

- lesser members of the Iron Throne organisation are required to dress to the most appropriate standards of their particular career. For example, merchants will always dress as merchants should, as will caravan guards.
- senior members of the Iron Throne Organisation remain largely unknown to the Realms, at large, and therefore choose to wear any easily identifiable dress and/or ornamentation
- the Iron Throne owes it's creation to an unrelated event in 1278 DR (Year of Many Bones). The half-devil birth of Sfena. She is the daughter of the baatezu Glasya, Princess of Hell, and an unknown, unnamed father.

I will stop here for a moment, because that piece of information is interesting in itself. Given Princess Glasya's renown as being leader of the Erinyes, it is a little known fact that once, long ago (before she and her 'activities' were brought under control by her 'father' Asmodeus) Glasya flitted from devil court to devil court throughout most of the nine layers of Hell. We know she had an affair with Mammon, Lord of the Third, but it now seems that at one time she had an affair also, with a mortal. It is also possible that she had visited a male mortal during one of her frequent visits to Faerun (since she can travel to the Material Plane without being summoned) making dangerous use of her polymorph ability. Anyway, this raises the question...who was Sferna's father?.

- the three divisions of the organisation (Eyes, Arms, and the Feet), all operate semi-autonomously

Anyway that is all, and I am out of time.

The Cardinal Posted - 17 Sep 2003 : 03:20:59
Alas, Sage I myself have not access to the tome... ( Part of the hazard of living up by the spine of the world I'm afraid). Next time a trade caravan is on the move I shall see If I can procure this tome. As for you Cyric I shall elaborate a bit more, Sage and Arivia please correct me as the infromation I am using is dated at best,
The Iron Throne is a more mysterious more basic 'Merchant's Guild' Seeking to dominate what trade they can. They tend to clash with The Zhentarim and the Harpers from time to time ( the Zhent clashes occur more frequently, since the Harpers are either dead or dispursed). The Iron Throne is maintained by lowlevel thugs and brigands ( and is thus a service to the communities of Faerun), True the Veil of Professionalism and Respectability is thin since: A) most of it's employees have a lapse and return to their disreputable ways, b) Last I heard they were banned from operating for a year witnin Cormyr, for being charged with * Ahem* attempted assasination of competitors, Extortion and Thuggery, trading weapons to humanoid tribes, trafficking in smokepowder, poison and contraband... Although these are obviously just cruel rumor and vicious gossip
As for their backers, It could be anything from being a front for other Zhents, or Cormyr, undead beholders, dragons, giants, though some say that Cyric or even a darker power ( if such a thing exists) is pushing them for unknown reasons.
Like I said my Information IS dated but that is the just of it, (bloody backwater hamlet, take forever for news to reach here).
Arivia Posted - 16 Sep 2003 : 19:55:00
Sorry. I'll recify the error later, when I have access to the supplement in question. Something got lost in expanding the short statistics so that all could understand.
Cyric Posted - 16 Sep 2003 : 16:23:50
What does a Neutral Good Half-elf Wizard 13/Rogue 3 as a second-in-command of a evil groupe ????? And the Iron Throne are they big players or what who do they whorship ????
The Sage Posted - 16 Sep 2003 : 08:43:34
Just out of curiosity, have any of you read through the Iron Throne entry in the Cloak and Dagger tome?. Most of the information presented in there is still relevant.

I think there is also a website with campaign data for the Iron Throne, but it is entirely homebrew. I will see about posting the address.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000