Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragons

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Trafaldi Posted - 16 Oct 2003 : 17:35:10
I know there are named dragons in the realms but i personally believe there need to be a few more. Dragonlance has dragons that could make a tarrasque look like a wyvern in comparison.

If you have any ideas about new dragons please post them never know when some one needs a new challenge
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cult_Leader Posted - 24 Nov 2003 : 13:06:23
DOH! I want enough treasure to make a home.....
The Sage Posted - 18 Nov 2003 : 07:51:29
Draconomicon...

Mumadar Ibn Huzal said -
quote:
Uatua, Successor States... Now where was this again in the Forgotten Realms?
Yes, I apologise for the slight "off-topicism" that has plagued this scroll of late. I'll try to keep all further off topic discussion to the ethereal mail system.

...except this last bit...

Jaysen Darclyght said -
quote:
Do you actually know what Uatau's motives are, or are they still on the drawing board?
Actually yes, Uatau's motives are clearly defined, but it is necessary (at least for the moment) for story cohesion to keep the players 'in the dark', so to speak.

shadow258300 Posted - 18 Nov 2003 : 00:21:17
There are a lot of new dragon names int he Dracrinomicon. I know that i didn't spell it right but bear with me...

the book is really cool because it actualy has some draconic in it. Names could be made from them. There are also new dragon races in it.
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 17 Nov 2003 : 19:25:54
Uatua, Successor States... Now where was this again in the Forgotten Realms?
Jaysen Darclyght Posted - 17 Nov 2003 : 19:21:02
Do you actually know what Uatau's motives are, or are they still on the drawing board?
Either way, you are one ingenious and devilish DM.

Do the Successor States win battles against the technozombies? If they did, and some of the zombies were found intact, and they don't get their hands on the technology, then wow, I'm signing on the undead side for now. Gotta love being LN with the ability to rationalize anything in DnD.
The Sage Posted - 15 Nov 2003 : 07:47:15
Bahamut lives on the second level of Mount Celestia, Mercuria. It is also the location of his home...Bahamut's Palace, said to be constructed entirely from his own treasure hoard.

Actually Uatau does have an ulterior motive, but allowing the rise of evil and undeath in Amasaria is not it. I cannot give too much away because two members of my gaming group are regular visitors to Candlekeep. What I will say is, that part of the reason for Uatau's silence has more to do with the continued survival of the entire world, than just one continent.

I'm a big fan of reverse engineering, afterall much of the Classic Battletech game is built on what you can salvage or reverse engineer from Clantech.

However there is a reason why the Successor States have yet to get their hands on any technology, and again it involves Uatau...frustating eh?...

Jaysen Darclyght Posted - 14 Nov 2003 : 16:28:22
Doesn't Bahumut live on one of the upper levels of Celestia?

Sage of Perth, perhaps could the god Uatau have some ulterior motive to allow the rise of evil and undeath in Amasaria, or perhaps is there some lofty purpose that we lowly mortals cannot comprehend?

Have the 'good guys' captured any of the technology from the undead? If they did, they might be able to reverse engineer it and thus fufill their needs in the war and Uatau's obligation.
The Sage Posted - 14 Nov 2003 : 14:34:34
Cult_Leader said -
quote:
Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon, is King of Good Dragons. Lawful good and dwelling somewhere in the first heaven...
That would be Mount Celestia.

Cult_Leader Posted - 14 Nov 2003 : 14:17:48
Bahamut, the Platinum Dragon, is King of Good Dragons. Lawful good and dwelling somewhere in the first heaven (or possibly on the elemental plane of air), he serves as deity for these and some others.

Tiamat, the Chromatic Dragon, rules the first hell. Lawful evil, she is both mother and goddess to all evil dragons and some other evil creatures.
The Sage Posted - 14 Nov 2003 : 13:09:08
It is quite an awesome site. When you consider that, only ten months ago the Lich Lords were rapidly losing their against against the Successor States...the level and amount of destruction visited upon the lands of Amasaria is frightening.

The Lich Lords have only just recently co-developed this technology and are now slowly fielding armies that utilise this special technology. Most of the nations, and states of the Civilised Realms have either banded together or pledged financial support to fight the war, hoping that numerical superiority will be enough to overcome any technological deficiency.

There are some realms however that have not chosen sides yet. I like to think that they are waiting to see which way the wind is blowing, so to speak and then choose sides.

And finally, to add insult to injury, the Guardians of the Eternal Balance, (a semi-religious order of arcane spellcasters and clerics devoted to Uatau - the deity of Harmony and Balance), who helped to co-develop the technology have ignored any requests to assist and supply the Successor States with the same knowledge and skills necessary to develop similar weapons...even though their own philosophy requires them to do everything they can to maintain the Balance between Good and Evil on Amasaria.

There is a lot more to it than that, what I have wrote above is an extremely brief and condensed version of the past 76 years of history on Amasaria, but it was enough to answer your question.

Jaysen Darclyght Posted - 14 Nov 2003 : 12:16:54
That description of your undead forces conjures up dreadfully awesome pictures of desolate wastlands and undead wandering with smoke belching machines. In a word, that is: awesome. If you could email it to me that would be great.
I presume then, that while the undead have industrial level technology, the rest of Amasaria is still in the middle ages? Thank your pantheon for magic eh?
The Sage Posted - 14 Nov 2003 : 08:35:30
There is a fan-created rules set for utilising steam-power and lightning-powered weapons and equipment floating around on one of the d20 forums...I can't remember which one. However I have a copy of the rules set and it has proved quite useful.

I have used some of the ideas described within to give my undead armies of the Lich Lords (on my homebrew world of Amasaria) a much needed advantage. Vast legions of undead now roam the battlefields of Amasaria heavily modified with steam-powered weapons, utility devices, and mining and exploration equipment. Some items include mechanical wings, and a steam-powered siege mini-cannon which requires anatomical alterations to the undead creature carrying it. It may sound strange and bizarre but once you read through the rules-set you see how easily the whole system can work.

I'll find the link for that particular thread, and email it to you, if you are interested.

Jaysen Darclyght Posted - 13 Nov 2003 : 12:40:14
That sounds cool. It seems that it would make a good weapons platform, and the steam from the engine could be used as a breath weapon. ::jots some calculations and notes down:: Hmmm, pretty nice. That would be more of a terror weapon than a juggernaut. If only the gnomes were military minded, they could take an empire for themselves.
Though I may be getting ahead of myself. I'm sure there are those here that would scoff at my immediate welcome of such a gangly device. But hey, tutti gusti son gusti. (to each his own).
The Sage Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 15:44:28
Jaysen Darclyght said -
quote:
That Dragon engine, what exactly would that be? Some form of construct?
It all depends. In one of the Dragonlance anthologies...Dragons of Krynn I believe, that was a tinker gnome who had crafted a massive 'Iron Dragon' that operated under the influence of steam power and was used mainly for exploration and mining. Needless to say, the huge construct had the usual collection of dials, tubes, pipes and a vast plethora of other curious devices (most of which were either unnecessary, or displayed the temperature in a variety of different conventions).

The Sage Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 15:38:52
No, I didn't take offense, so no problem there . I simply wish to talk because I like hearing about other DM's or player's opinions and viewpoints on the various campaign worlds on offer from WotC.

Mystery_Man Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 12:52:34
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I could comment on that, being the DL devotee that I am, however I think I will continue this discussion via ethereal mail. Is that okay Elf_Friend?.

Sure, feel free to send me an email. Although I tend to grandstand on rare occasions I certainly hope I did not offend.
Jaysen Darclyght Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 12:21:40
That Dragon engine, what exactly would that be? Some form of construct?
The Platinum Dragon is Bahamut. Bahamut is awesome. Any other form of metallic dragon would have to take a second seat to him because he is the Dragon God (At least of the metallic dragons).
Dragons are really too powerful in my opinion. They are kind of like flying thinking nukes. They really should be taken down a notch. In my campaign, my friend plans on using a few hundred dragons to take out an empires air armada of many thousands (The empire is about the size of Europe). This confidence in their abilities is not unfounded, though I think its a little said that it is not.
The Sage Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 09:33:02
I could comment on that, being the DL devotee that I am, however I think I will continue this discussion via ethereal mail. Is that okay Elf_Friend?.

Mystery_Man Posted - 11 Nov 2003 : 19:34:34
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

I know there are named dragons in the realms but i personally believe there need to be a few more. Dragonlance has dragons that could make a tarrasque look like a wyvern in comparison.

If you have any ideas about new dragons please post them never know when some one needs a new challenge

Dragonlance can keep their dragons as far as I'm concerned, a dragon for every rider is their schtick and they can have it. I like them to be rare and mysterious, and feared no matter what color they are. IMC the last thing a dragon of any color or alignment would do unless absolutely necessary would be to give rides like its some sort of carnival act. *steps of of soapbox*

I actually had an encounter with a silver that allowed them to ride him but only to return the favor for freeing him from a magical imprisonment. He would from then on never entertain the idea of anyone on his back and was going to eat the party rogue for being a bit to persistent if the cleric had not intervened.
Maecenus of Westgate Posted - 11 Nov 2003 : 18:25:23
So, speaking of dragons, anyone know if anyone has ever compiled a list of the known dragons of the Realms? Wyrms of the North only focuses on some of them. If no one has done this yet, I may put one together.

Very nice dragon there, Thysyl.

Here is another interesting creature that I put together some time ago for an adventure that i'm still writing:

Myrscavess
Male Old Shadow Dragon (Shadow) Ghost; CR 19; Huge Undead (Ghost); HD 26d12; hp 192; Init +4; Spd fly 150 ft. (perfect); AC 17 (36*) (touch 17 [8*], flat-footed 17 [36*]); Full Atk* +31 melee (2d8+8, bite) and +26 melee (2d6+4, 2 claws) and +26 melee (2d8+4, 2 wings) and +26 melee (2d6+12, tail slap); Face/Reach 10 ft. by 40 ft./10 ft.; SA breath weapon (cone of shadows), horrific appearance, frightful moan, frightful presence, spell-like abilities, spells; SQ blindsight, immunities, SR 27, DR 10/+1; incorporeal subtype, undead traits, dragon traits, manifestation, shadow blend, keen senses, rejuvination, turn resistance +4; AL CE; SV Fort +14, Ref +14, Will +21; Str 27, Dex 10, Con --, Int 24, Wis 24, Cha 29.

Languages: Draconic, Elven, Netherese, Orc, Undercommon, Goblin, Dwarven, Abyssal.

Skills: (253 ranks) Bluff +34 (25 ranks), Climb +13 (5 ranks), Concentration +38 (29 ranks), Diplomacy +24 (15 ranks), Escape Artist +18 (18 ranks), Jump +34 (26 ranks), Knowledge (arcana) +38 (29 ranks), Knowledge (ancient history) +22 (15 ranks), Knowledge (religion) +17 (10 ranks), Knowledge (the planes) +36 (29 ranks), Listen +38 (29 ranks), Hide +10 (20 ranks), Move Silently +10 (20 ranks), Spot +18 (9 ranks), Spellcraft +33 (26 ranks).

Feats: Improved Initiative, Quicken Spell-like Ability, Alertness, Heighten Spell, Spell Focus (Necromancy), Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy), Skill Focus (Knowledge [arcana]).

Breath Weapon (Su): Myrscavess can breathe a cone of shadows that has an energy drain effect. Any living creature within the cone (50 ft.) must make a Reflex save (DC 29) or take 5 negative levels or half that if the save is successful.

Horrific Appearance (Su): Anyone within 60 ft. that views Myrscavess must make a Fortitude save (DC 32) or suffer 1d4 permanant Stregth, 1d4 permanant Dexterity, and 1d4 permanant Constitution drain. A creature that saves is immune to this effect for 1 day.

Frightful Moan (Su): As a standard action, Myrscavess can moan causing all living creatures within a 30 ft. spread to make a Will save (DC 32) or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. A creature that successfully makes a save against the moan cannot be effected again for 1 day.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Creatures within a 240 foot radius of Myrscavess must make a successful Will save (DC 32). A creature with 5 or more HD that fails the save will be shaken for 4d6 rounds.

Spell-like Abilities: 3/day - mirror image, non-detection, 2/day - dimension door. Caster Level 9th; Save DC 19 + spell level.

Sorcerer Spells Known (6/9/8/8/6 per day; Caster Level 9th; Save DC 19 + spell level.) 0--disrupt undead, detect poison, daze, ghost sound, read magic, mage hand, detect magic, silent portal; 1--ray of enfeeblement, protection from good, protection from law, comprehend languages, bane; 2--misdirection, detect thoughts, hold person, desecrate; 3--animate dead, protection from elements, lightning bolt; 4--contagion, summmon undead IV.
+2 DC for Necromancy spells.

Blindsight (Ex): Myrscavess can ascertain creatures by non-visual means with a range of up to 240 feet.

Immunities: In addition to typical dragon and undead immunities, Myrscavess is immune to all energy drain attacks.

Undead Traits: (See Monster Manual 3.5 p. 317).

Dragon Traits: (See Monster Manual 3.5 p. 308).

Shadow Blend (Su): In any conditions other than full daylight, Myrscavess can dissapear into shadows giving him nine-tenths concealment. Can only be negated by a daylight spell.

Incorporeal Subtype: (See Monster Manual 3.5 p. 310).

Keen Senses (Ex): Myrscavess can see 4 times as well as a human in low-light conditions and twice as well in normal light. He also has darkvision of up to 800 feet.

Manifestation (Su): When Myrscavess manifests, he is visible but still incorporeal. His touch spells do not effect material creatures but his breath weapon does.

Rejuvination (Su): If destroyed, Myrscavess restores himself in 2d4 days with a successful level check (1d20+26) against DC 16. The only other method for allowing Myrscavess to rest permanantly is to return a portion of a missing artifact to him.

* Ethereal plane only.

Centuries ago, Myrscavess entered Faerun from the Shadow plane and claimed the Underdark realm known as Leihrenseir Gorge as his lair. Leihrenseir Gorge is located deep beneath the western half of the Cloud Peaks, not far from present day Nashkel. He dwelt here for many years, occasionally feeding on dwarven scouting parties from Shanatar and the dwarven kingdom of Xothaerin. Eventually, in Myrscavess's pursuit of magical power, he discovered a portion of a powerful artifact and dedicated himself to finding the rest of it through research and contact with various secret magical cabals. In his blind pursuit, Myrscavess failed to notice the intruders that had entered into the vicinity of his lair: a band of orogs that had been following the swift underground river called Suliss Z'hren by the drow. The orog chieftain killed Myrscavess and soon his kind claimed Leihrenseir Gorge as their new home, the incomplete artifact held by each ruler in succession.
Three centuries ago, drow explorers from Eryndlyn discovered Leihrenseir Gorge and conquered the area, enslaving the few orogs that survived. One of these drow was Ithibrik Nefril, who found the incomplete artifact and an ancient grimoire known as the Tome of Dissonance; which described the artifact and its power once all portions were combined. He also discovered the enraged spectre of a once powerful shadow dragon still languishing on the absence of his once prized possession. Ithibrik barely escaped with his own life intact.
Thysl Posted - 08 Nov 2003 : 08:46:02
Here's one I used a while back... use it if you'd like:

Ka'Ventovik
Young Adult Deep Dragon (Earth); CR11;
18d12+72; HP 192; Initiative +0; Speed 40 ft, 150 fly (poor), 20 ft burrow, 30ft swim; AC 30 (touch 9, flat footed 30); Attacks 1 bite +22 (2d6+5), 2 claws +20 (1d8+2), 2 wings +20 (1d6+2), slap +20 (1d8+6); SA: Breath Weapon, frightful presence, True Seeing, Snake Form, Humanoid Form, spell-like; SQ Immunities, DR 5/magic, SR 21, Blindsight, keen senses; Reach 10ft; AL CE; SV Fort+15, Refl+11, Will+13; Ability scores Str21, Dex10, Con18, Int17; Wis14, Cha18

Skills: Listen +20, Spot+20, Search +21, Bluff +22, Intimidate +13, Concentration +22, Knowledge (Arcana) +21, Knowledge (Religion) +21, Survival +11, Spellcraft +21, Jump +22
Feats; Multi-attack, Hover, Fly-by Attack, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave

Breath Weapon (su); Cone of Corrosive Gas, 40 ft, damage 10d8 Acid, Reflex @ DC 22 for half

Frightful Presence (ex); 150 ft radius effect, Will @DC23 or shaken for 4d6 rounds (-2 to attacks and saves)

Spell-like Abilities: At will - Detect Magic, Freedom of Movement 3/day - Transmute Rock to Mud 2/day - Passwall, Stoneshape

Immunities(ex): Sleep, Paralysis, Charm

Resistances(ex): Cold and Fire 10

Keen Senses(ex): 4x low-light, 500 ft Darkvision

Blindsight(ex): 150 ft

Spells Known (cast 6/6 at 3rd level): 0 - Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Read Magic, Arcane Mark 1st - Protection from Good, Mage Armor, Detect Secret Doors

Possessions:
134 copper, 14,211 silver, 25,334 gold, 19 platinum, 2x Alexandrite (400gp), 3x Shaaran Amber (75gp), 4x Black Onyx (50gp), 1 Red Pearl (100gp), Thread of Gold clerical vestments of Sylune with moonstone and silver jewelry set (500gp), MC Longbow +2 (300gp), Wall of Iron Scroll (1,175gp), Divine Freedom of Movement (300gp), MoonCloak +3(MoF) (18,800gp), Wand of Wieldskill(MoF) 29 charges (375 gp), Sacred Scabbard(DotF) (6,400gp), MW WarAxe (330gp), MW Kukri (308gp), Platinum Egg (priceless)

Total: 56,750

Ka' Ventovik is a dragon possessed. One can see it in his shifting, angry eyes. Or how his tail can never stop twiching. Indeed, if someone lives long enough to here this young dragon's insane murmurings they will soon know that Ka'Ventovik the Scourge, the Orc-Eater, the Foe-Maimer, has lost his mind. When not patrolling the warren of narrow, winding caves that surround his lair Ka'ventovik pores over his newest acquasition and greatest treasure: a 5 foot long egg made of platinum.
Once Ka'Ventovik would have regailed the circumstances in which he came into possession of this near impossible thing as good luck, pure and simple. When the young dragon slithered out of his lair located deep under the Nether mountains he wasn't hungry nor thirsty; He wasn't bored or anxious, in fact, he was enjoying a long slumber when the urge to wander bid him rise. As he approached the surface and decided to head back home he heard the tell-tale sound of his most favorite of meals: Orc.
Deciding that the oppurtunity to break fast was to easy to lose he closed in for the kill. In mere seconds a band of 12 tuskers lie strewn and forgotten on a cavern floor. Ka'Ventovik was fully enthralled by the item the orcs where hauling: An egg, bright with the luster of platinum, pulsing with unknown power. Intranced, Ka'Ventovik took it home.
After months of pondering over the egg the dragon came to only one conclusion: that this rare and beautiful thing was meant to come to him. He believes that it was fate that lead him to that particular cavern and that belief affirms his growing hysteria concerning the egg's safety.
In truth it wasn't fate that guided his seemingly capracious trip that day. Tiamat, Queen of Evil Dragons, fears and craves this seeming egg and used her divine energies to force Ka'Ventovik into action. She believed that the orc's possession of the egg would lead to the destruction of it's inherent magics, devaluing it considerably. Tiamat also believes that it is held for her, in trust, by her subject, Ka'Ventovik, but what see has yet to learn is that the egg has taken steps to ensure it's own survival and freedom from the clutches of Tiamat.
eilinel Posted - 07 Nov 2003 : 17:47:04
there was the steel dragon in the second edition, actually the one i liked the best, i may take it in my campaign
Faraer Posted - 20 Oct 2003 : 15:54:09
My comment on the ENWorld forum was along the lines of: maybe James Wyatt has really compelling things to say about dragons, but Wizards has given us little reason to expect so (and gamble a fair chunk of money). I'm not interested in this book as I am in The Slayer's Guide to Dragons (as told by Gary Gygax) and "Wyrms of the North" because it has no context or build-up. The subtext here is WotC's continued valuing of brands over authors.
Arivia Posted - 20 Oct 2003 : 08:24:24
I'm making that comment on my experiences between TSR and WotC stuff...From the table of contents, it looks like another book on how to make dragons even more killing machines...nothing really new...
The Sage Posted - 20 Oct 2003 : 08:21:29
Cardinal Deimos said -
quote:
Now A dragon Engine Now that has potential.... Wouldn't you agree, Sage?
Indeed, although very noisy and highly destructive .

As for the reference to the 'Great One', allow me some time to search through my archives...

William of Waterdeep Posted - 19 Oct 2003 : 19:22:21
Maybe an Adamantite Dragon?
The Cardinal Posted - 19 Oct 2003 : 16:41:54
I figure a few watered down dragons ain't a big deal.. Dragons could stand to be taken down a peg. Now A dragon Engine Now that has potential.... Wouldn't you agree, Sage? Also ( i have no Idea what realm it might be in) I've heard mention of a dragon known as the Great One who is appearently:
-Too bright to be seen unless viewer is under a darkness spell
-Is immune to all normal and silvered weapons, any cleric/druid spell of the lvl 6 or less, all arcane spells of the lvl 8 or less, and any weapon of +4 or less
-Travels with 12 other dragons, four gold, four amber and four blue
-Unaffected by all dragon control means, and can use all breath weapons
I would require Sage or Book to comment on this more though since they are the scribes of all things Draconion in nature, I just learning to specialize in fiends more or less
William of Waterdeep Posted - 19 Oct 2003 : 15:41:06
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

No, the 3e Draconomicon will be completely different, according to the chapter listing Mat Smith posted awhile ago in his 'Previews' column over on the WotC site...following WotC's current mission to water everything down and put out supplements of more and more crunch...

So it will not be like the 2e Draconomicon?
Arivia Posted - 19 Oct 2003 : 09:23:31
No, the 3e Draconomicon will be completely different, according to the chapter listing Mat Smith posted awhile ago in his 'Previews' column over on the WotC site...following WotC's current mission to water everything down and put out supplements of more and more crunch...
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 19 Oct 2003 : 09:13:13
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Perhaps you should have a look through the 2e FR tome Draconomicon. It establishes (however poorly) the Dragon 'cultures' of Faerun.

Which, it appears to be, will be reprinted for 3e or was 3.5 or 4.11 or WotC 95 or WotC 2000 ... I've lost count

For reference
Draconomicon: The Book of Dragons
November 2003 Wizards of the Coast Sourcebook on Dragons.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000