Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Blackstaff Tower - Prologue & Chapters 1 - 9

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 08:56:40
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Blackstaff Tower (Book 1 of Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep), by Steven Schend. Please discuss the prologue and chapters 1 - 9 herein.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
althen artren Posted - 21 Oct 2012 : 02:52:16
Touche, wrong novel though. I should have put it in last of Blackstaff.
The Red Walker Posted - 21 Oct 2012 : 00:12:10
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

The ending of Blackstaff had the right mix of meeting with the previous lore about High Magic
and having Khelben and Ulair closed the final ritual. My copy is about
to fall apart due to the amount of game material mining I did with it. I also felt
unimaginable sorrow over the final sacrifice of a soul weary individual. While I'm not
hundreds of years old, I feel that way sometimes. I contend that it is the best Realms
novel that I have ever read.

Now if we can get SES to give us writeup on materials he introduced.

I agree 100% with you, but Would rather read this in the scroll for the end of the novel

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11534&SearchTerms=Blackstaff,tower
KnightErrantJR Posted - 20 Oct 2012 : 20:14:02
One of the things that I really liked right off the bat is the interaction between city officials, the politics involving the Lords, and the guilds. For anyone that isn't used to Waterdeep, it explains how important these things are, and gives a brief history lesson. For anyone more familiar with the city, right off the bat it feels very much like home, even if home has changed a bit in the last 100 years.
althen artren Posted - 20 Oct 2012 : 15:37:11
The ending of Blackstaff had the right mix of meeting with the previous lore about High Magic
and having Khelben and Ulair closed the final ritual. My copy is about
to fall apart due to the amount of game material mining I did with it. I also felt
unimaginable sorrow over the final sacrifice of a soul weary individual. While I'm not
hundreds of years old, I feel that way sometimes. I contend that it is the best Realms
novel that I have ever read.

Now if we can get SES to give us writeup on materials he introduced.
Steven Schend Posted - 19 Oct 2012 : 19:37:16
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Wow am I late to this party or what?

Just wanted to say, I know this sounds bad, but as much as I enjoyed Blackstaff, I think I'm enjoying this book a bit more. There was an air of finality about Blackstaff and a lot of other Realms novels written at that time, that had me both interested and dreading the end of that book. Here, I'm sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Thanks for saying, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the book (and let us know your thoughts in the appropriate places, if so moved).

Steven
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Oct 2012 : 18:16:52
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

quote:

Well we never stopped the party, even when you went on walkabout.

We knew you'd be back and wanted a party to be going on when you arrived...so we just kept it going and going........if I were you I'd try those keys to the CDG's.....maybe we changed the locks?

And this was a quite enjoyable read! Typical Schend

I'm pretty sure you guys swapped my robes out, because I know these fit when I left.

Plus I had a sticky bun hidden under the bed in my cell, and it's gone. I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm just saying . . .

Back to reading!

and that was Wooly that out that pane of Glasssteel in your privvy....

Seeing this scroll resurected makes me miss Steven's realms work.....man we need another realms novel penned by him.

Shhhh, don't tell him that! He might go looking for anything else I might have done. Which I wouldn't have done, of course. Nope, not me. *looks innocent*
The Red Walker Posted - 16 Oct 2012 : 15:06:33
quote:

quote:

We knew you'd be back and wanted a party to be going on when you arrived...so we just kept it going and going........if I were you I'd try those keys to the CDG's.....maybe we changed the locks?

I'm pretty sure you guys swapped my robes out, because I know these fit when I left.

Plus I had a sticky bun hidden under the bed in my cell, and it's gone. I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm just saying . . .

Back to reading!

and that was Wooly that out that pane of Glasssteel in your privvy....

Seeing this scroll resurected makes me miss Steven's realms work.....man we need another realms novel penned by him.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 16 Oct 2012 : 05:17:03
quote:

Back to reading!

The Red Walker Posted - 16 Oct 2012 : 05:11:12

KnightErrantJR Posted - 16 Oct 2012 : 04:42:20
Wow am I late to this party or what?

Just wanted to say, I know this sounds bad, but as much as I enjoyed Blackstaff, I think I'm enjoying this book a bit more. There was an air of finality about Blackstaff and a lot of other Realms novels written at that time, that had me both interested and dreading the end of that book. Here, I'm sitting back and enjoying the ride.
Steffen Farslayer Posted - 12 May 2009 : 00:32:55
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Steffen Farslayer

I just started this book and it certainly started with a bang. I echo everyone's comments about Samark, I would like to find out more about him.

I have not read Blackstaff yet so I hope that does not cause me any problems with any references. I like how each post Spell Plague book gives us a little more insight into what happened and how Waterdeep was effected.

Hats off to you Steven, great work!

Well, I hope that BT works for you, Steffen, without having read its predecessor first. I'll be curious to hear your take on the rest of the book.

Steven

I finished it and thought it was fantastic. There were a few references that I did not catch due to not reading Blackstaff, but actually think it may work out to my favor. It will make reading it more interesting know some of the future events.

Steven Schend Posted - 03 May 2009 : 16:52:10
quote:
Originally posted by Steffen Farslayer

I just started this book and it certainly started with a bang. I echo everyone's comments about Samark, I would like to find out more about him.

I have not read Blackstaff yet so I hope that does not cause me any problems with any references. I like how each post Spell Plague book gives us a little more insight into what happened and how Waterdeep was effected.

Well, I hope that BT works for you, Steffen, without having read its predecessor first. I'll be curious to hear your take on the rest of the book.

Steven
Steffen Farslayer Posted - 27 Apr 2009 : 20:54:41

Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 04 Mar 2009 : 14:59:57
I finally found a copy of this. I've read thru the first 9 chapters and am really enjoying this. Great work Steven!

I'm glad that I read "Blackstaff" first. And I also agree that the 100 year jump was handled perfectly in this novel. All the characters are well written. I really like the characterization of Renaer - A new hero for a new time - as well as the other characters. Can't wait to see how the story unfolds.
Steven Schend Posted - 29 Dec 2008 : 23:46:20
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

about halfway through this novel. As always, I love anything pertaining to Waterdeep. I would have liked to have more information on Samark, but I like the way Steven worked the various blackstaff spirits into the Heir's speech, as well as their appearances in Black staff tower.

I might be getting out of chapter order for this thread, but will we know more of the Nameless Haunt? Additionally, I thought it excellent that Azuredge makes an entrance.

I don't know if WotC will let me tell more stories with the Haunt or not; it'd be fun, but he's their character, so it's their call.

And I had to make sure Azuredge was still a part of Realmslore after the 105-year-jump. The link between the axe and the Wardragons, honestly, just popped out as I was writing--one of those nice syncrhonicites of creation that happen without forethought and they work.

Steven
scererar Posted - 22 Dec 2008 : 01:58:00
about halfway through this novel. As always, I love anything pertaining to Waterdeep. I would have liked to have more information on Samark, but I like the way Steven worked the various blackstaff spirits into the Heir's speech, as well as their appearances in Black staff tower.

I might be getting out of chapter order for this thread, but will we know more of the Nameless Haunt? Additionally, I thought it excellent that Azuredge makes an entrance.

Steven Schend Posted - 02 Oct 2008 : 21:13:55
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Just wanna say it hurts my brain when that crazy woman talks.....can't imagine how it felt for Mr.Schend to write it.

It wasn't too hard. Just limit myself to three-four words per Blackstaff spirit inside her and roll a d6 to see who got prominence for that moment, adjust eye color, and let the cameras roll.

Steven
who also wants to give more props to his editor as well
The Red Walker Posted - 02 Oct 2008 : 15:33:27
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Just wanna say it hurts my brain when that crazy woman talks.....can't imagine how it felt for Mr.Schend to write it.

Yes I second that!

Major props to your editor Steven!
Alisttair Posted - 02 Oct 2008 : 15:22:53
Fillow Posted - 01 Oct 2008 : 20:27:01
One more time, I thank you a lot fellow Keepers
The Red Walker Posted - 01 Oct 2008 : 13:19:00
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd say that you can read Blackstaff Tower without having read Blackstaff, but you'd have a greater understanding of some things if you read Blackstaff first.
Agreed. Blackstaff Tower works well as a stand-alone novel. But Steven's managed to establish enough background within the book so that readers of Blackstaff can enjoy this tale as a "continuation" [of sorts] of some previous events.

I agree, but I am glad I read the other first.

But I think this book could easily be compared to a Blackstaff: The Next Generation, and anyone could jump in on the story with Blackstaff Tower.
The Sage Posted - 01 Oct 2008 : 05:53:32
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd say that you can read Blackstaff Tower without having read Blackstaff, but you'd have a greater understanding of some things if you read Blackstaff first.
Agreed. Blackstaff Tower works well as a stand-alone novel. But Steven's managed to establish enough background within the book so that readers of Blackstaff can enjoy this tale as a "continuation" [of sorts] of some previous events.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Oct 2008 : 05:29:23
Fillow Posted - 01 Oct 2008 : 04:08:50
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

I've just received this novel and I've not read it yet.
I'd just like to know where does the novel take place. Only in Waterdeep?
That's just to fill the "Areas descriptions in novels" thread (here)

It takes place almost exclusively in Waterdeep with two exceptions--the characters briefly pop up to an isolated mansion/estate far north of Waterdeep and to the small woods* I put outside of Waterdeep's northern gates (from the first Blackstaff novel).

Steven

* Frightfully embarrassing but I can't remember either the name of the mansion that Renaer's great-uncle built or the woods that were in Chapter 1 of Blackstaff..... Getting old....brain seizing up....

Thanks a lot Steven. I'm honored you answered it.
And I feel the fact that you do not rememember some names from your own story quite funny !

You write about Blackstaff novel. Do you sincerely recommend to read this one before reading B. Tower ?
I believe you were already asked about it (and I might be the one who already asked it !)

Read you soon. (here and/or in the Blackstaff novels !)
Steven Schend Posted - 30 Sep 2008 : 21:24:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Simbul

I feel somewhat impolite after having first asked that these threads be created, then to be so late in my replying to them.

Initially I intended to read along with all the others, however given how far along I am and how long I have wanted to see this book I have decided to instead finish it entirely tonight, and then comment on individual chapters thereafter.

Rest assured that due diligence on my part will prevent me from revealing or referencing any facts outside of the respective chapters in which they first appear.

So what'd you think (or are you still reading)? Inquiring minds asked me to ask you this.
Steven Schend Posted - 30 Sep 2008 : 21:21:33
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

It takes place almost exclusively in Waterdeep with two exceptions--the characters briefly pop up to an isolated mansion/estate far north of Waterdeep and to the small woods* I put outside of Waterdeep's northern gates (from the first Blackstaff novel).

Steven

* Frightfully embarrassing but I can't remember either the name of the mansion that Renaer's great-uncle built or the woods that were in Chapter 1 of Blackstaff..... Getting old....brain seizing up....
Fillow Posted - 30 Sep 2008 : 20:10:19
The Red Walker Posted - 27 Sep 2008 : 15:07:04
A good start indeed! But, good job making me feel quite the cad Steven, I was just starting to think "I don't really care much for Foxhal", then Zip! a crossbow bolt to the throat. That was actually a very well written death scene and you did a good job writing it from the dying person's perspective.
I am enjoy picking up all the bits of lore you have strewn all about yuor tale, and I imagine it will be even more fun the second time around seeing what I missed the first time!
The Red Walker Posted - 20 Sep 2008 : 21:50:36
Nothing like starting off with a bang!! Hello Samark, nice to meet the current Blackstaff! Goodbye Samark we knew you too little! Cant wait to see why the baddies wanted the books as well as well as killing Samark.

Steven Schend Posted - 15 Sep 2008 : 17:15:29
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I've only had time to read the Prologue so far. But from just that limited bit, I can tell this will be a grand tale indeed.

Heh. I already miss Samark. I know he was only around for a few pages, but I immediately felt like I wanted to learn more about him. And I've already recorded the titles of those tomes he found while exploring the tomb [they'll be added to the list of those from Blackstaff]. I wouldn't mind learning a little more about each of them as well.

Heh. You've got Yoda into my head this morning, Sage. "You will be....." (re: both things about which you want to learn more)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000