Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Eilistraee and the Lythari

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ardashir Posted - 13 Sep 2008 : 16:31:49
I've read several references to a connection between Eilistraee's faith and the Lythari (basically good elven werewolves for those unfamiliar with the term). Has this ever been covered in gaming material at all?

For that matter, did any of the 3.5 books cover the lythari even slightly? I remember some mention of them in Races of Faerun, I seem to recall that not everyone agreed with what was said there.

Thanks for any help providing lythari references.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Hawkins Posted - 23 Sep 2008 : 16:34:44
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I also want to note that I don't know of a single documented case of a lythari having the hybrid form.
I was thinking this as well, but could not figure out the words to do so, thank you Wooly. I have been thinking about creating a Lythari race closer to that in the novels and less like an elf with the werewolf template attached.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Sep 2008 : 15:47:45
I also want to note that I don't know of a single documented case of a lythari having the hybrid form.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 23 Sep 2008 : 15:26:28
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I still keep to the no hybrid form if and when I use lythari in my campaign, regardless of what the current lore says.

Me too.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Sep 2008 : 01:25:09
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I still keep to the no hybrid form if and when I use lythari in my campaign, regardless of what the current lore says.

I mean... considering the fact that the lythari didn't originally have this hybrid form, and the details that surround their brand of shape-changing, in that it is only passed on by ritual or by procreation, I'm still of the mind that they not true lycanthropes. They are, simply, elves who have the ability to transform into wolves.

I agree. I think calling them weres in 3E was done for ease of classification, more than anything else.

Besides, if lythari are considered lycanthropes, then so should be song dragons and swanmays.
The Sage Posted - 23 Sep 2008 : 01:17:52

I mean... considering the fact that the lythari didn't originally have this hybrid form, and the details that surround their brand of shape-changing, in that it is only passed on by ritual or by procreation, I'm still of the mind that they not true lycanthropes. They are, simply, elves who have the ability to transform into wolves.
Kuje Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 22:55:23
As I said, Rich confirmed it so many years ago. No, I don't have the post any more because after 8 years, it's gone in one of the designer threads.

How Races of Faerun clearly says they are elven werewolves and it says nothing about that they are an exception to having a hybrid form. They are lumped in with the Lycan chapter and that chapter discusses hybrid forms.

However, Monsters of Faerun also says they are elven werewolves but that book, at least, says no hybrid form. :)

Myself, I always stick to the 2e lore, which also said no hyrbid but thats me.

Races's text on page 142 is: "In Faerun, the following kinds of lycan are common, bats, bears, boars, cats, crocs, rats, sharks, tigers, wolves, and the elven lythari. Each of these can transform from its normal humanoid form to that of a animal or a hybrid form."

So, it seems pretty clear to me, 3.5e lumped the lythari into having a hyrbid.

quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Source on hybrid form, Kuje? I trust your grasp of lore, but I recall the hybrid issue settling out differently.
Vangelor Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 22:39:22
If you wish t infer a connection and make that fact in your home campaign, that is fine. But the published Realmslore doesn't say so explicitly.

Source on hybrid form, Kuje? I trust your grasp of lore, but I recall the hybrid issue settling out differently.

And they control their own transformation at will, I think, whether born as lythari or attaining that state through ritual.

As an aside, here's a question: Do you suppose the ritul magically confers the silver-haired coloration upon elves of other subracial heritage who are made into lythari?
Kentinal Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 21:58:35
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20020503a

"Portfolio: Song, beauty, dance, swordwork, hunting, moonlight"

Not quite a moon goddess, but clearly associated with the light of the moon, which is what effects were.

Also Eilistraee has been named Moon Maiden, though one might argue that was printed because it slipped past the content Editor.
Kuje Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 21:36:36
Actually, that changed in 3e, and Rich confirmed it many years ago. They do have a hybrid form, according to the sourcebooks for 3e and they are were's.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sehanine is the elven moon goodess. And lythari are not werewolves -- they lack the hybrid form, and they can only pass the changing ability onto others by use of a ritual.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 21:12:58
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I don't know that there's a "racial connection" between Eilistraee and the lythari, but one particular lythari (Thorn) is known to follow the Dark Maiden.

I figured it as, lythari are elvish werewolves, werewolves are symbolically linked to the moon, and Eilistraee is the elf goddess of the moon and hunting as well as good drow, so therefor she has a connection with the lythari and vice-versa.

Sehanine is the elven moon goodess. And lythari are not werewolves -- they lack the hybrid form, and they can only pass the changing ability onto others by use of a ritual.
Iluvrien Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 20:11:57
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobx

Mark Sehestedt's Frostfell features what I assume are Lythari heavily throughout the novel.

Mr Sehestedt's Lythari also seem to be major players in the Realms of War short story "Mercy's Reward".

Apologies if this was already covered.
Ardashir Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 18:29:49
quote:

I don't know that there's a "racial connection" between Eilistraee and the lythari, but one particular lythari (Thorn) is known to follow the Dark Maiden.

I figured it as, lythari are elvish werewolves, werewolves are symbolically linked to the moon, and Eilistraee is the elf goddess of the moon and hunting as well as good drow, so therefor she has a connection with the lythari and vice-versa.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 14:11:07
Vangelor Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 13:50:48
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora
Even though the Sage already mentioned "Elaines novels" I think I should add that "Silver Shadows" is a whole novel about the "Lythari problem in Tethyr".

Not quite. Silver Shadows does include lythari, but it is mostly about the green elves of the Wealdath Forest of Tethyr. Arilyn Moonblade does persuade the reclusive lythari to assist their green elf cousins, but for creatures given a title role in the novel, we see very little of them.

And no, I have never heard of a connection between the Ly'Tel'Quessir and Eilistraee, although that does not mean there isn't one - it simply has not come up in any publication I have read.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Sep 2008 : 03:03:19
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobx

Elaine Cunningham's Daughter of the Drow features a Lythari character albeit briefly.

Mark Sehestedt's Frostfell features what I assume are Lythari heavily throughout the novel.

They are lythari, but there are some notable differences between his lythari and Elaine's. The lythari of Frostfell have a totally different culture, are tied to their homeland, and apparently have lost the ability to use "the Doors to the Gate".
Pandora Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 07:15:18
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

I know there is a Lythari in a short story, by Elaine, about Lireal, but I don't remember one in the series.

There was one in the Liriel series (in Windwalker).

Even though the Sage already mentioned "Elaines novels" I think I should add that "Silver Shadows" is a whole novel about the "Lythari problem in Tethyr".
The Sage Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 01:12:37
Or you could just check Dagnirion's signature.
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 01:07:15
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

Where is this book at? I think this is the first I've heard of it.

I believe Ardashir is probably referencing the netbook that you can find information about here.

Ardashir Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 00:23:52
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

For information on the Lythari, see Elves of Faerūn.

Where is this book at? I think this is the first I've heard of it.
Kajehase Posted - 15 Sep 2008 : 14:49:06
quote:

quote:

I know there is a Lythari in a short story, by Elaine, about Lireal, but I don't remember one in the series.

And they're the same one
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 14 Sep 2008 : 20:02:53
quote:

Aulduron Posted - 14 Sep 2008 : 19:57:38
The Sage Posted - 14 Sep 2008 : 01:29:44
Most of the lythari sources include Monsters of Faerūn, Races of Faerūn, Elves of Evermeet, Elaine's novels and some of her compiled replies made here at Candlekeep.

The Monstrous Compendium Annual Vol. 4 is also useful, as is 2e's Demihumans of the Realms.

No doubt, Dagnirion's Elves of Faerūn already provided summaries of the relevant lythari lore in each source.
Lord Karsus Posted - 13 Sep 2008 : 20:05:00
For information on the Lythari, see Elves of Faerūn.
Jimbobx Posted - 13 Sep 2008 : 17:45:53
Elaine Cunningham's Daughter of the Drow features a Lythari character albeit briefly.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000