Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Other Founding Dates...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jakk Posted - 12 Sep 2008 : 03:21:13
I'm currently compiling a *comprehensive* timeline of the Realms; the GHotR is a beautiful book, but woefully incomplete. Yes, I know I'm expecting a bit much, but with a world as vast and detailed as Toril, how do you honestly expect to fit its "Grand History" into 160 pages, one of which was wasted by advertising? I would have made it a two- or three-volume project with at least 240 pages per volume, ideally more like 320. But prevailing opinion around WotC these days seems to be that fluff doesn't sell. I can make up stats myself; what I *can't* do is sift through Ed's notes or read his mind, because the former (and probably the latter, too) are locked up in NDAs.

Anyway, I digress... what I'm looking for are founding dates for the cities of Impiltur, the Vast, the Dragon Coast, and the Western Heartlands. In particular, I'm surprised that we don't have specific founding dates (that I can find, anyway) for Iriaebor, Baldur's Gate, and Westgate (as I've already commented on elsewhere; *how* long did Kisonraathiisar rule the city before being slain?).

I may just be missing my answers in older material; all of my pre-3E Realms stuff (which is almost all of what was published) is in storage in another city right now, and the WotC archive downloads page is woefully inadequate to my needs.

Any help I can get with this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jakk Posted - 20 Sep 2008 : 08:59:56
Icelander: Yeah, my interest in the 4E stuff is purely academic. As I've stated elsewhere on these boards, my timeline starts to deviate from canon in the 1350s; Azoun IV has a ten-year-old grandson named Azoun when he dies in 1371, and Westgate keeps their kingship alive through to this time. Tanalasta marries the heir to Westgate's throne, and Alusair marries the heir to Impiltur's throne. Yes, I tweaked the timeline of the succession there too, sorry Krash. When I learned what they were doing with 4E Realms, I just decided that canon no longer existed. Ed's been telling us to make stuff up or change it ever since the Grey Box, so I did. The irony there, I guess, is that I'm finally doing so in large scale after Wizbro does the same thing. The difference, I guess, is that I'm inspired by the Realms, whereas Wizbro seems to be only inspired by Eberron.

Anyway, that got a little more long-winded than I'd intended... I tend to prattle on at length when I'm tired. Maybe I'll try to sleep now.
Icelander Posted - 20 Sep 2008 : 03:55:33
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

I know that Cormyr and Sembia go to war, but I don't have specifics... but maybe nobody else does yet, either. I have no plans to purchase the new campaign setting, and mostly I just want the 4E information for ideas. War between Cormyr and Sembia seems definite even without the Shadowstorm of 1 Nightal 1374, and I'd like more detail on that. Which novel covers that, if there is one?

What war is this and where did you hear of it?

AFAIK, Sembia had a civil war in the 1370s, but I wasn't aware that Cormyr was involved. Rather, it was engineered by the Shades in order to provide them with a legitimate reason for intervening in Sembian politics (and move troops inside Selgaunt).

Of course, if you're referring to $E stuff, then I wouldn't know (or be interested).
Jakk Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 01:03:31
Markustay: Dates concerning Kara-Tur are always appreciated; the only ones I have for that part of Toril are those from the GHotR. (I read your post elsewhere regarding your own project; glad to hear that (a) you're continuing your work, and (b) things weren't as bleak as they looked.
Jakk Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 00:54:21
Ingo: Sorry about not responding to your post; I got the thread cluttered before I had a chance to respond directly. Mostly, I'm looking for dates for events in the recent novels, and anything in 4E. I know that Cormyr and Sembia go to war, but I don't have specifics... but maybe nobody else does yet, either. I have no plans to purchase the new campaign setting, and mostly I just want the 4E information for ideas. War between Cormyr and Sembia seems definite even without the Shadowstorm of 1 Nightal 1374, and I'd like more detail on that. Which novel covers that, if there is one?

One more thing on this topic: Does anyone know *what* Halaster was trying to do when he snuffed it? Anything like what Szass Tam was attempting?
Jakk Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 00:47:57
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Indeed. I've decided that my timeline will stop at the Spellplague. I'll leave the events afterwards to the young, eager fans of 4E.

-- George Krashos

I have no intention of stopping the timeline... I'm just excising the Spellplague and 4E in their entirety and doing what Ed told us to do from the first appearance of the Old Grey Box: making the Realms my own. There will be no rant here. I've done that elsewhere on these boards. I had to change some minor events of canon history (note that I don't consider anything published about the years following 1375 DR to be canon, regardless of the definitions of the terms involved), but with what has been done to the published Realms, I have no problem with creating a world that more closely resembles what I think Ed would have preferred to happen. Anyway, anything else I say here will come perilously close to ranting, and I already promised not to do that.
Markustay Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 00:16:35
I could probably add a few dozen dates concerning Kara-Tur, gleened from sources (NOT timelines), which I haven't found on any official or unofficial timeline. Things like the founding of Tabot.
George Krashos Posted - 18 Sep 2008 : 00:10:09
quote:
I guess this is the upside of the timeline advance... it gives us Realms historians time to "finish" (as if that can be done) detailing What Has Gone Before, which in turn allows us (as befits historians) to be blissfully ignorant of the present. That in itself is all the reward I need for my work at this time.

Indeed. I've decided that my timeline will stop at the Spellplague. I'll leave the events afterwards to the young, eager fans of 4E.

-- George Krashos
Jakk Posted - 15 Sep 2008 : 01:50:59
Okay... found the 2nd edition Vaasa/Damara stuff (in RoF; thanks George!) I lose track of the presence of info like that if it isn't in a timeline format.
Jakk Posted - 15 Sep 2008 : 01:20:59
My shortcomings in this project are for events from the novels. I haven't had time to read a Realms novel since Second Edition; I think the Drizzt prequel trilogy were the last ones I read.

Storylines I'm *really* sketchy on are: the return of Shade and subsequent events related thereto; the 2nd edition events in Bloodstone Pass (because I have none of my pre-3E sources living under my roof at the moment); and the pre-4E events on which I think everybody is either just as clueless as I am or gagged by NDA, specifically the war between Cormyr and Sembia and Seiviril's Crusade/the return of the elfblades.

Thanks for any and all help provided!
Jakk Posted - 15 Sep 2008 : 01:12:51
*bows to George in awe* My timeline is in HTML, with a separate file for each century, and the total timeline folder size is 1.3 MB. I'm working in HTML rather than text largely because I've had text (M$Word) file corruption problems in the past, although I understand that this is no longer a problem with more recent versions of the software (2002 up, if you're using M$ software).

I guess this is the upside of the timeline advance... it gives us Realms historians time to "finish" (as if that can be done) detailing What Has Gone Before, which in turn allows us (as befits historians) to be blissfully ignorant of the present. That in itself is all the reward I need for my work at this time.
George Krashos Posted - 13 Sep 2008 : 03:01:42
Well I have a 1.48 MB file on my PC that runs for 177 pages (including endnotes) at 10 point font which is a Timeline of the Realms. It's taken me years to compile and still isn't up to date. So good luck with your project!

You didn't specify in your post as to whether the founding dates you are after have to be from published sources. If so, then some of the ones you are looking for can be found in 'Races of Faerūn' (p.89).

If not, I can help you out with Impiltur at the very least.

-- George Krashos
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 12 Sep 2008 : 15:23:48
Brian also has/had (not sure, I haven't looked at his site for awhile) other timelines and histories on his webpage: http://www.geonomicon.com/portal/

~Kes
Ashe Ravenheart Posted - 12 Sep 2008 : 13:38:54
quote:

I'm currently compiling a *comprehensive* timeline of the Realms; the GHotR is a beautiful book, but woefully incomplete.

I wouldn't say 'woefully incomplete'. Brian's goal was to create a timeline of canonical data from all the sourcebooks and fiction.
IngoDjan Posted - 12 Sep 2008 : 12:04:37
I want to help. What kind of help do u need?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000