Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kingslayer Star

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Waldham Posted - 05 Sep 2008 : 11:56:34
Hello, I search all the informations about Kingslayer Star because I want to become a green star adept.

So, if you can indicate me where I can find the informations : books, edition, pages, link ..., this will help me.

I found this link on the forum : www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/stars.htm but it don't function.

Thanks for your future answer.

Sorry for my english.

Mod edit: Moved this scroll from its original location, floating in the ethers.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 06 Sep 2008 : 09:13:45
The Rogue Series effected only the draco rage mythal and so the rage itself, but not the star, which was only chosen for governing the time the rage should occur. It has no other effects on the rage.
The Red Walker Posted - 06 Sep 2008 : 01:25:34
What effect, if any, did the evens of the rogue series have on the star? Or did it just affect the rage?
monknwildcat Posted - 06 Sep 2008 : 01:00:14
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

Ironic, considering how poor old Zaor's reign ended.

Totally.

Good stuff, Sage! Long live sage Boyd!
The Sage Posted - 06 Sep 2008 : 00:40:07
Here's some additional lore from Eric Boyd:-

"The Rage of Sorcerers
The Realms is periodically beset by a Rage (or Flight) of Dragons during which powerful chromatic wyrms emerge lemming-like from their lairs to attack settlements across the Realms. The last such flight occurred in 1356 DR. The most famous flight occurred in 1018 DR, the Year of the Dracorage. Normally such a Rage of Dragons is associated with the return of the Kingslayer Star (see www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/stars.htm, Evermeet: A Novel, and the old gray AD&D1 FR boxed set), but the last to beset the Realms may have been magically induced by the Cult of the Dragon (although a likely explanation is that the Dragon Cult took opportunistic credit for a natural event). To date, astrologers have not deciphered any pattern to the return of the Kingslayer Star (also known as the King-Killer star), nor are they able to predict its arrival or duration. (Note that "return," "arrival," and "duration" are somewhat poetic descriptions of periods when the Kingslayer Star grows noticeably brighter in the sky.)
In the Realms, some sorcerers--particularly humans, elves, and kobolds--have a trace of chromatic dragon blood in them from which they draw their eldritch powers. As a result, some percentage of sorcerers succumb to the "call" of a Rage of Dragons, each time such an event occurs. Of those who succumb to the urge to lash out, most get involved in magical battles against overwhelming odds and are slain.
Curiously, children with a trace of chromatic draconic heritage born under the Kingslayer Star seem significantly more likely to discover their latent sorcerous abilities later in life than those born at other periods of time, a result of their draconic blood briefly burning hot under under the Kingslayer's baleful glare. As a result, the number of sorcerers of such ancestry briefly waxes in the decades immediately following a Rage of Dragons and then slowly wanes until the next such Flight. (Of course, the emergence of many chromatic dragons from a decades-long sleep at the same time also leads to a boom in the birth of half-dragons of chromatic ancestry descended from the survivors.)
For those interested in multi-edition continuity for the Forgotten Realms campaign setting, the Rage of Sorcerers partially explains both the small number of sorcerers in established (pre-3e) Realmslore (their population is periodically sharply reduced and their numbers fall during long intervals between Rages), the fact that all sorcerers are seen as inherently untrustworthy by many "commoners" (the actions of a minority tarnish the reputation of the group, prompting others to masquerade as wizards), and the fact that sorcerers are only just starting to be seen in the Realms again in reasonable numbers, at least among the human realms (1372 - 1356 = 16 years, roughly the starting age of a 1st level human adventurer, so they would have been almost unknown in 1358, time of the 1e FRCS, and 1368, time of 2e FRCS).
Mechanics-wise, when the Kingslayer star "returns", all creatures with a trace or more of chromatic dragon blood in their veins in the Realms must make a Will save vs emotion (rage), DC 25. Unlike the spell, the effects of this rage last some number of days or weeks (i.e. as long as the Kingslayer Star burns brightly in the sky and the Flight of Dragons lasts), almost ensuring that an average sorcerer will find himself or herself enmeshed in one or more battles against overwhelming odds and thus slain during this period.
From a game balance/fairness perspective, this suggests that a character who chooses to become a sorcerer should be informed of the risk if they choose to claim draconic ancestry at the time the class is elected. If a sorcerer character has not chosen whether or not his powers derive from a trace of draconic ancestry, the DM and player should work that out together before the Rage of Dragons is unleashed in the campaign."
Vangelor Posted - 05 Sep 2008 : 23:14:52
Ironic, considering how poor old Zaor's reign ended.
monknwildcat Posted - 05 Sep 2008 : 14:55:57
IIRC, the Kingslayer Star appears in Evermeet: Island of the Elves, prompting the end of the island's ruling council and accession of Zaor Moonflower to Evermeet's throne.
Vangelor Posted - 05 Sep 2008 : 14:34:05
The Kingslayer Star appears to be something like a comet, that makes periodic re-appearances in the skies of Abeir-Toril. It is connected in some undefined (and to those of us not versed in Elven High Magic, essentially unknowable) way to the Dracorage "mythal", a recurrent magical phenomenon instigated by the elves toward the close of the Dawn Age, hastening the decline of the dragon empires, which periodically recurrs, driving dragons mad and turning them against their own offspring.

Details, such as I have, appear in the anthology, Realms of the Elves, where the origins of the Dracorage mythal are told (my copy is elsewhere, so no page/author credits, sorry), and at least a mention as occurring around 25,000 before Dale Reckoning, in The Grand History of the Realms (2007, WotC, pp 8,10).
Ayunken-vanzan Posted - 05 Sep 2008 : 14:27:04
The Kingskiller Star (a comet) is of course mentioned in the Year of the Rogue Dragons series. Then you can find further information (but not much) in Dragons of Faerun.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000