Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Communities of the Underdark

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 26 Oct 2003 : 06:55:27
With the release of the new Underdark tome, I felt the need to start a topic about this interesting subject. As I am sure there will be some significant official canon discussion, I am just as interested in hearing about unofficial changes to races and communities of the Underdark that DM's may have made in their own FR campaigns.

Let's hear from you

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 14 Feb 2020 : 20:52:39
Master Rupert,

As always, thank you! That link worked perfectly.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Alaundo,

Do you have any other way of directing me to that scroll you linked too, that is now defunct?

Best regards,

Try this link.

Ye gods, what an old scroll! I've not seen the name "Sage of Perth" in a long time, and my senile old friend SiriusBlack is long gone from our halls...

Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 11:16:23
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Alaundo,

Do you have any other way of directing me to that scroll you linked too, that is now defunct?

Best regards,

Try this link.

Ye gods, what an old scroll! I've not seen the name "Sage of Perth" in a long time, and my senile old friend SiriusBlack is long gone from our halls...
cpthero2 Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 07:54:13
Master Alaundo,

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well Met

Hmmmm, this should really all be discussed over in this scroll. Lets see if we can move product discussions over to there now and leave this one for discussing the actual communities of the Underdark. Its already a bit of a mish-mash but we can try to get a little order to the scrolls.

cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 13:05:01
Master Sage,

First, I want to say that I went to follow the link provided by Master Alaundo, but it was not functioning, so I just came back to the original post. I have to say, and I am sure I very well may catch flak for this, but...

I loved the small, but amazing part about the Glimmersea. To think that it is (20) miles underneath the bottom of the Sea of Fallen Stars. Now granted, the Sea of Fallen Stars isn't particularly deep of course (1,875 feet deep at the Protectorate of Ahlor's), but that is effectively when taken into account down at 22,000 feet to the Glimmersea: 4.14 miles down! Amazing to even consider such a thing, and creepy to me, as I am no Dwarf! haha.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

With the release of the new Underdark tome, I felt the need to start a topic about this interesting subject. As I am sure there will be some significant official canon discussion, I am just as interested in hearing about unofficial changes to races and communities of the Underdark that DM's may have made in their own FR campaigns.

Let's hear from you

SiriusBlack Posted - 28 Nov 2003 : 06:46:49
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

I think the Underdark map surprised me the most...

The map was really well done.
The Sage Posted - 28 Nov 2003 : 05:13:58
I think the Underdark map surprised me the most...I really had no idea how large an area it actually was. Also, to finally have an absolute reference for where exactly all the various cities and locales of the Underdark (that had been mentioned in the novels and the like) are relative to the surface, really helped me organise for my next upcoming partial Underdark campaign.

Lord Rad Posted - 27 Nov 2003 : 11:49:02
I agree with Yasraena on this one!

The art is great and the overall presentation is fitting to the quality of 3rd ed FR.

The geographical section is fantastic and as you say, the split levels of the Underdark gives a feeling of wariness of staying clear of the Lower Underdark!!!

This book is MUCH more than I had expected, and my expectations were high!
SiriusBlack Posted - 27 Nov 2003 : 05:22:55
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Unlike Sirius Black, I think the artwork is far better than either Sheoloth or Plots and Poisons. (I have both, and I'm sorry bud, but I just don't see it. But as you say, totally subjective) I am a bit confused about "The drow with the electric shock/Buckwheat hairdo", though. Did you mean the Derro in the races section? He does look a little comical. I can't find a Drow in the entire book that matches that description. [/font=Tahoma]

Look for a stupid Joker grin on a drow in this anime style art book that looks like a demented Matrix movie gone bad and you should know which picture I'm referring to.

I believe it is in the latter half of the book. I'd love to point you out a page number. But, I shipped this book back for a refund with "hazardous material open at your own risk" on the outside of the package.

I only wish that WOTC would put the artist names a bit clearer on each page's drawings so I know who to directly blame for each picture.

I'm glad you are enjoying the book and its art. Granted, it's not up there with the star elves from Unapparoachable East and their wonderful miner's lamp attached to their forehead. But, hey, we can't have classics like that every day of the week. We'd get spoiled if so.
Yasraena Posted - 27 Nov 2003 : 05:11:55
I admit, I'm a bit biased when it comes to anything Underdark related, but this book really is put together well. I really like the new races (Deep Imaskari the best) and most of the new feats and new spells. I like the idea of the earthnodes and the way they break the underdark down into 3 layers - upper, middle and lower regions. Some of the new monsters are pretty scary too (the All Consuming Hunger and the Arachnoid Mouther are a couple of creatures right out of your worst nightmares).

The coolest part of the book though, has to be the geography section and the info on a lot of the communities that make their homes down there. Not so much the ones we already know about, but the ones that we don't (again, Deep Imaskar comes to mind).

Unlike Sirius Black, I think the artwork is far better than either Sheoloth or Plots and Poisons. (I have both, and I'm sorry bud, but I just don't see it. But as you say, totally subjective) I am a bit confused about "The drow with the electric shock/Buckwheat hairdo", though. Did you mean the Derro in the races section? He does look a little comical. I can't find a Drow in the entire book that matches that description.
SiriusBlack Posted - 13 Nov 2003 : 04:37:25
For those interested, ENWorld's message boards has a thread where a transcript of a chat with the creators of this product.
Alaundo Posted - 08 Nov 2003 : 17:59:42
Well Met

Hmmmm, this should really all be discussed over in this scroll. Lets see if we can move product discussions over to there now and leave this one for discussing the actual communities of the Underdark. Its already a bit of a mish-mash but we can try to get a little order to the scrolls.
The Sage Posted - 08 Nov 2003 : 15:41:38
Oh, I can agree with you on the 'drow with the electric shock/Buckwheat hairdo'...that was just disturbing.... Although some of the 'race' art was well presented. What about the Deep Imaskari?.

SiriusBlack Posted - 08 Nov 2003 : 15:25:58
quote:

I have to disagree with you on the art, Sirius. I thought most of the material was well illustrated. I especially like the image of Deep Imaskar...it reminds me so much of Sigil .

Art is very subjective. I strongly disagree with anyone who likes the art in the Underdark book. The drow with the electric shock/Buckwheat hairdo is the topper for me. Anyone who looks at this art and thinks it's comparable in any way to Green Ronin's Plot and Poisonor Sheoloth from Mongoose products might be sipping some of the eggnog early for Christmas. And do we even want to get started on covers.....?
The Sage Posted - 08 Nov 2003 : 14:23:57
I have to disagree with you on the art, Sirius. I thought most of the material was well illustrated. I especially like the image of Deep Imaskar...it reminds me so much of Sigil .

Lord Rad Posted - 08 Nov 2003 : 11:44:06
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Let's see

Horrible art
The inevitable creation of races that aren't going to be played but will fill up space
Poor creative writing
A rehash of material
A rehash of ideas (ohh, another race long thought gone is now reappearing in the Realms).
Overall lack of anything interesting. I feel asleep reading this book. Egads, never did that with past products.

WOTC is producing very bland FR stuff right now and will continue to do so as long as consumers buy material. I'm happy you are pleased with the book and really wish you the best in your game using it. I am sending it back to Amazon and getting my money back.

::gobsmacked::
SiriusBlack Posted - 07 Nov 2003 : 19:25:56
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
Care to elaborate on this SiriusBlack? What exactly dont you like about the book? I think its great! ive been looking forward to it for a long time and its not been a disappointment at all.

Let's see

Horrible art
The inevitable creation of races that aren't going to be played but will fill up space
Poor creative writing
A rehash of material
A rehash of ideas (ohh, another race long thought gone is now reappearing in the Realms).
Overall lack of anything interesting. I feel asleep reading this book. Egads, never did that with past products.

WOTC is producing very bland FR stuff right now and will continue to do so as long as consumers buy material. I'm happy you are pleased with the book and really wish you the best in your game using it. I am sending it back to Amazon and getting my money back.
Lord Rad Posted - 07 Nov 2003 : 16:49:42
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I got this book earlier this week. Dear Cyric.....what a mess. Compared to some D20 books out there from Publishers such as Green Ronin and Fantasy Flight Games, WOTC doesn't even come close in art, creative writing, or presentation anymore.

I thought my opinion might be an isolated one so I passed it along to one of my players. I get a note back with the book stating, "This is the stupidest book they've put out yet." Strike two.

Okay, let's pass this along to another of my players. Again, like the first one, no biased comments beforehand, simply a "Hey, take a look at this. I got it from Amazon earlier this week."

I get it back a short time later. As she hands it to me, what does she say?"

"This is a stupid book."

I couldn't stop laughing as she didn't even realize how much her words echoed the previous person's note.

Care to elaborate on this SiriusBlack? What exactly dont you like about the book? I think its great! ive been looking forward to it for a long time and its not been a disappointment at all.
SiriusBlack Posted - 07 Nov 2003 : 06:28:32
I got this book earlier this week. Dear Cyric.....what a mess. Compared to some D20 books out there from Publishers such as Green Ronin and Fantasy Flight Games, WOTC doesn't even come close in art, creative writing, or presentation anymore.

I thought my opinion might be an isolated one so I passed it along to one of my players. I get a note back with the book stating, "This is the stupidest book they've put out yet." Strike two.

Okay, let's pass this along to another of my players. Again, like the first one, no biased comments beforehand, simply a "Hey, take a look at this. I got it from Amazon earlier this week."

I get it back a short time later. As she hands it to me, what does she say?"

"This is a stupid book."

I couldn't stop laughing as she didn't even realize how much her words echoed the previous person's note.
Lord Rad Posted - 06 Nov 2003 : 23:30:27
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Unaproachable East is the tome you're looking for Rad.

Really!? I must have completely missed that section in the book! Thanks Mumadar...and good to see you back, if only occassionally
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 06 Nov 2003 : 23:16:50
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

What an excellent product this is!!
Just wondered though, which other Realms products have mentioned the Deep Imaskari? Old Empires?

Its all quite intriguing, is this possibly something thats about to explode into another major Realms event?!

Unaproachable East is the tome you're looking for Rad.
The Sage Posted - 05 Nov 2003 : 02:29:16
The section that WotC used as an excerpt is the only page that discusses the connection.

William of Waterdeep Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 01:00:07
quote:

As a side note, what did everyone think about the Imaskari's connection to the origin of the Phaerimms?.

For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, look through this page
for the Deep Imaskari excerpt. There are also a number of other Underdark excerpts as well.

An unusal why to give a history to a sub race but actually I like it.
I wish I had the book and could read more.How many pages total are used to explain this connection.
Jander Sunstar Posted - 03 Nov 2003 : 23:00:59
Can there be an allignece between drows and the shades?
Cyric Posted - 03 Nov 2003 : 18:49:19
then we have a evil ancient people the shades and we have the Imaskari's the nutral ancient people i wonder if there is going to be a god one any way i think the shades wil ask for alliance they are just as old are they not this could evold
The Sage Posted - 02 Nov 2003 : 14:05:03
As a side note, what did everyone think about the Imaskari's connection to the origin of the Phaerimms?.

For those of you who do not know what I am talking about, look through this page
for the Deep Imaskari excerpt. There are also a number of other Underdark excerpts as well.

The Sage Posted - 02 Nov 2003 : 13:57:10
It is interesting. I've always felt that the other older human kingdoms of the Realms did not get enough attention. I hope this is the start of a slight trend that will explore other ancient regions (not to the extent of Arcane Age...obviously) of Faerun, besides Netheril.

As for other Imaskari references, I'll check.

Lord Rad Posted - 01 Nov 2003 : 11:20:00
What an excellent product this is!!
Just wondered though, which other Realms products have mentioned the Deep Imaskari? Old Empires?

Its all quite intriguing, is this possibly something thats about to explode into another major Realms event?!
The Sage Posted - 31 Oct 2003 : 06:59:08
Cyric, I'm only halfway through the tome's Geography section now, but so far there has been very little on Cyric (the deity that is...boy I sound like Foghorn Leghorn ) or his never-ending series of machinations.

As for the '"new" people who lives underground since the fall og nethril', as Knightcrawler said, they are known as the Deep Imaskari who survived the fall of their great empire in -2488 DR. They fled underground, led by a powerful lord named Ilphemon. He also took with him, members of his family, apprentices, and retainers.

Ilphemon's descendent ruled Deep Imaskar until -634 DR when a cruel and twisted cabal of evil Necromancers killed Ilphemon and his family and assumed control.

For most of their history, the Deep Imaskari have lived in perpetual isolation, from the Underdark, and the surface. Only now, are there 'dissenting' voices which have called for an end to the 'Great Seal' which protects and isolates the city from the outside world. This debate has put the three rulers at odds, since the High Lord Planner (and proper ruler of the city) was quite affirmative in his stance on not opening the Great Seal. The two other parties, the Lord Apprehender and the Lady Enacter called for an end to the Great Seal, in an attempt to learn about the outside world, and foster trade and commerce.

There is more, but since you will probably go out and purchase the tome anyway, you can learn about the rest then .

Knightcrawler Posted - 30 Oct 2003 : 21:56:13
That would be the Deep Imaskari. They have been down in the Underdark for about 4,000 years. Ever since the Imaskari Empire fell when its slaves rebelled (Unther and Mulhorand). The only thing I don't like is that it says that the Imaskari some how created the Phaerimm.
Cyric Posted - 30 Oct 2003 : 16:13:58
any thing abut Cyric there and those "new" people who lives underground since the fall og nethril what is the deal with them ??

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000