Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 RPGA Green Regent

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 28 Jun 2008 : 19:07:03
Were all of the LGR adventures set in and near Loudwater? Just who was this Green Regent person, anyway?

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
McDeath Posted - 28 Jun 2016 : 12:28:40
Honestly, after all these years I'd be surprised they'd even care if those were distributed. I'll say they are not easy to find. I haven't had any luck. It's usually the way with RPGA articles though. It took me decades to find the older edition stuff.

Give us all a heads up if the status on the items change. I'm VERY interested.
Cards77 Posted - 17 Oct 2015 : 22:42:50
No there was another one with the actual PDFs. It's not working anymore.
Delwa Posted - 17 Oct 2015 : 02:04:27
The link Markustay posted? Migrated here. In most older WotC links, just copy the link url, paste it into your browser, and change the "www" to "archive" and they tend to work.
Cards77 Posted - 17 Oct 2015 : 00:20:19
I was looking for them as well. Seems the old link is no longer there.
Fellfire Posted - 05 Oct 2013 : 02:33:22
Sage, or others, what ever became of this?

bump
Joebing Posted - 16 Jul 2013 : 05:44:18
Already working out an idea for Caravan to Waterdeep, seeing as how my current campaign involves one...

Alaundo, can we sticky this into one? Perhaps in Running the Realms? Seems to be where all the Green Regent Q's end up.
Alaundo Posted - 15 Jul 2013 : 19:01:29
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Interesting question. CAN we write and publish these "hypothetical" fillers here?

Well met

Indeed, Joebing. In fact, a new thread for "Expanding the Green Regent" may be a good idea to get creativeness flowing with a few suggestions and flavours for areas needing obvious filler.
Joebing Posted - 13 Jul 2013 : 02:52:56
Interesting question. CAN we write and publish these "hypothetical" fillers here?
Joebing Posted - 13 Jul 2013 : 02:36:33
Everything I have found so far leads to a few having made test rounds. But you are right, there is very little to go on. I am waiting on a reply on Obsidian Portal on Secret...the rest, we have to guess?

Caravan to Waterdeep, by title alone, just seems like it has nothing to really do with the story, more like "this is how you get to Waterdeep", so any of us can write that up. Simple random encounters, maybe a side, one-off plot on the road to Waterdeep. I'll look tonight.
Markustay Posted - 12 Jul 2013 : 15:45:16
Even if its as simple as, "then they went here, and ran into this...", it will be of great value. As of right now, we don't even have a direction to go in between each published episode.

Or do we?

I kinda recall some sort of story that went with each adventure; I think those 'prologues' included a synopsis of 'what has gone before'. If thats true, then we may have something to go on after all (its been awhile since I've looked into Green Regent - I was doing geographic research, naturally).

EDIT: Found 'em. Not sure if they will prove helpful, though - looking at them quickly it looks like they had one for each published adventure, which means they probably don't recap the stuff that was never completed. There might be some hints, hopefully.

EDIT2: From what I have been lead to believe (by someone 'in the know'), the lore in those wasn't all that well researched, and there were quite a few 'canon gaffs' in one looked too closely, so that most designers just ignore those adventures (when researching stuff to do other projects). Its almost as if they have the same (unofficial) standing as the Double Diamond series has (parts of them may become canon, if they appear in other products).

I don't know... I thought the little boy 'Red Wizard' was kinda cool.

There were also problems with the rights to some of the illustrations, if memory serves.
Joebing Posted - 10 Jul 2013 : 04:34:30
Okay, been a bit busy, but I catalogued everything Green Regent. It is in an excel file here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2Nr7mDMQwcHOG9lUWtUYjBadDQ/edit?usp=sharing

I have them listed in order of play. One can safely assume that LGR4 was written by Ving Domanski and LGR23 was written by Greg Marks, due to LGR4 being the direct sequel to LGR3 and LGR 23 in the middle of an arc in which Greg Marks wrote all of the others.

I DID stumble across this link as well and sent a message inquiring on Secret of Phantom's Cloister: http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/legacy-of-the-green-regent/posts?page=2

So far, that is what I got. If any of the other scribes have a way to contact any of the authors from the run, LMK and I will contact them to see if we can get a full synopsis of the unpublished events, at least as far as NDA will allow.
Joebing Posted - 06 Jul 2013 : 18:30:16
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Perhaps this is something we can work on here? 'Filling in the blanks', so to speak?

I wish we at least had a wee bit more to go on, even if it was just a brief synopsis of what happened during those missing parts.

Good Idea! I have contacted RPGA authors before to track down modules that were released. I will look through my files and get the names of the author's of the missing segments. Maybe they can at least give us an idea to run with. I'll work on that today, Markustay. Hopefully nothing is too NDA for even a synopsis.
Markustay Posted - 06 Jul 2013 : 14:13:54
Perhaps this is something we can work on here? 'Filling in the blanks', so to speak?

I wish we at least had a wee bit more to go on, even if it was just a brief synopsis of what happened during those missing parts.
Joebing Posted - 05 Jul 2013 : 00:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

And what about LGR04, 10, 24, 15, 23 ?
Maybe It has been written above in the topic, but I did not find any mention.

Tanks for reading.

These were never released, and it is both frustrating and pointless; how can you run a campaign of linked adventures and skip plot points and ends to story arcs is beyond me.

Erm I would think it is quite simply a matter of making things up that fit the ongoing campaign? after all D&D is a game of imagination, so with a little bit of thinking about what has happened before in 'x' module and where it starts in 'z' module allows the DM to make up the missing 'y' module.

Or am I missing something really important here?

Cheers

Damian

While you do have a point about the DM making up the missing stuff, I was more referring how it worked in tournaments, when players would go to an event, play, wait for the sequel, go to the next event, only to be thrust into something new with a hanging plot from before never answered. At home, if a DM reads through everything, they can come up with a replacement (I currently am thinking of a few), but how did that work in the tournaments. It wasn't the first time the RPGA did this either; saw several in LG.
crazedventurers Posted - 04 Jul 2013 : 17:04:06
quote:

quote:

Tanks for reading.

These were never released, and it is both frustrating and pointless; how can you run a campaign of linked adventures and skip plot points and ends to story arcs is beyond me.

Erm I would think it is quite simply a matter of making things up that fit the ongoing campaign? after all D&D is a game of imagination, so with a little bit of thinking about what has happened before in 'x' module and where it starts in 'z' module allows the DM to make up the missing 'y' module.

Or am I missing something really important here?

Cheers

Damian
Joebing Posted - 03 Jul 2013 : 23:36:52
quote:

Tanks for reading.

hashimashadoo Posted - 17 Jun 2013 : 15:21:46
Just to clarify (as I once did extensive research on these modules)

LGR04, LGR10 & LGR23 were written but never distributed to the public.

LGR14, LGR15 & XGR5 were never written.

The content contained in the released modules is copywrite but neither WotC or the RPGA have any copies that they are willing to sell/publish. Your best bet for acquiring them legally is on eBay, though there is a site out there (I won't post a link) where you can get all of the distributed material as a free download. Short plot synopses are available on the FR wiki.
crazedventurers Posted - 12 Apr 2013 : 17:48:27
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi all.
I'd like to know if anyone has the PDf of this RPGA campaign (XGR1 to XGR4) and all the "LGR" ?
It would be great help.

PM are OK.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marco

everything that was availalble was here

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.brackrotus.com/lgr/

Good luck getting any of it to work though

Cheers

Damian
Marco Volo Posted - 12 Apr 2013 : 08:46:19
Hi all.
I'd like to know if anyone has the PDf of this RPGA campaign (XGR1 to XGR4) and all the "LGR" ?
It would be great help.

PM are OK.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Marco
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 21:47:37
Kittens are just cat puppies. Unfortunately, they grow up to become cats!

As for "free," well when I was a laddy-buck, there was a marvelous song called, "Born Free." ... Hey. ... Wait a minute! ... Didn't that lion actually die?

*sigh* Doom! Doom! We are all doomed! If the Large Hadron Collider doesn't kill us all, then Hasbro will turn us all into little puppet people ... and then give us to cats so they can play with us. ... Wait ... wait ... wait ... AH! There it is! My latest lunatic ranting subject: Hasbro is actually run by cats (or proto-MekPurrs, as we Space Opera fans like to call them).

arry Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 16:42:52
FREE! Wash out your mouth Jamallo, don't you know that 'free' is the vilest heresy in the corporate world?
StarBog Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 11:48:45
Feel better now?

Take a deep breath and think of kittens, Jamalo ;-)
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 10:46:21
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

Slight necro-bumpage, but you'll forgive me I'm sure as I just checked my hard disk and found I have the following LGR modules in PDF format (all with associated illustrations and other accouterments).

<snippage of mouth-watering bits>

In total, these are almost 50 MB of PDFs.

However, I'm am unsure of the copyright status of these and the associated legalities of distributing them, so until I get clarification on this, I can't distribute them to anyone else.

Well, StarBog, if you ever find out that it's okay to distribute them, please include me on the list!

I hope Wizards won't play "dog in the manager" with these modules. I just hate it when a company has the rights to a product which they no longer sell, and have stopped updating, but they refuse to give away their old stock and also refuse to allow users to duplicate and distribute their personally-owned copies.

(I don't want to side-track the discussion, but Apple springs to mind. Apple bought a small software company that made terrific products, stopped distribution of those products, and then utilized one -- and only one -- of their programs, the predecessor of "Launcher" and "Dock;" all of the other marvelous software which the company had developed was abandoned, but Apple kept the rights to everything, and nothing like the company's other programs was ever developed by Apple nor permitted to be developed by other companies. Apple -- in the glorious days of System 6.x, when one used Macintosh in the belief that one was fighting corporate Leviathan and Behemoth by so doing -- used to distribute their operating system for free. It wasn't "open source," but it was sufficiently friendly that one could use an Apple-developed utility -- ResEdit -- which was distributed freely with each copy of the operating system and which users were permitted to distribute at no cost -- to monkey around with the resources of applications; one might not be a programmer -- although HyperCard -- also free -- allowed users to begin programming in HyperTalk after about thirty minutes to an hour of study; doing either qualified one as a "power user;" now they only permit those with expensive software suites to tinker with their own computer's operating system, and they don't even allow HyperCard to be distributed anywhere, even out of their own archive of software dating back twenty+ years, and even though it is obsolete and hasn't worked on any Apple operating system released in the past fifteen years or more. They have no right to prohibit people from distributing copies of HyperCard, but they send threatening letters to ISPs, which suffices to get anyone distributing it kicked off of the Internet; I tried for months to find an online source for the program when I got my current computer, and couldn't find a copy anywhere, and found only a handful of sites offering HyperCard applications as free-, share-, or cheap-ware. So much for two guys in a garage dreaming about ordinary people competing with Leviathan from their desktops! I hope this small detour into the backwaters of my memory will help to explain why I am so incredibly bitter about Hasbro hijacking D&D and turning it into a corporate cash cow instead of a -- for crying out loud! -- game. When D&D 3rd edition came out, I was quite pleased, because there had been a lot of problems with AD&D. Three years later Wizards released 3.$, and when I saw it, I predicted that, "Within five years they'll come out with 4th edition." Fifty-nine months later -- four years, eleven months, and five days after they had released, 3.$ -- Hasbro released 4.New.Coke! )

To return to my sheep, however: Hasbro would make a giant stride towards rehabilitating their shattered reputation if they released as much old material as they can as free downloads. WotC (previous management) was to be commended for releasing so much old TSR material, but Hasbro stopped that. Now we have a situation in which three Forgotten Realms/Oriental Adventures modules are available as free downloads, but the other three are only available for sale (and perhaps not even that -- last week I tried to get to the WotC "store" to have a look at them, and I reached a cyber-dead end).

It may be that the three "for sale only" modules are tied up with some sort of restrictive issue concerning rights (although I've never heard of TSR or Wizards ever buying anything less than complete rights to a product; Ed probably has the most creatively advantageous contract, and look at the hole into which Hasbro has dumped his work). If there are no restrictions concerning the method of distribution of old TSR and RPGA materials, Hasbro would be well-advised to make them available at no cost now, so that -- like the makers of the original New CokeŽ -- they can introduce "Classic" D&D next year by selling their 3.$ books in new covers. Unfortunately for Hasbro, "Classic RoleplayŽ" is a name which belongs to another company, and Hasbro may have to buy them out or else make some major licensing concessions in order to enjoy free and clear title to the "Classic" label.

C'mon, Hasbro! Do the right thing and either release all of the old TSR and RPGA material at no charge, or else permit players to make and distribute their own copies (at no charge).

And that, StarBog (and you other gentlefolk) is how I really feel!

Fillow Posted - 08 Sep 2008 : 05:24:32
quote:
Originally posted by StarBog

As far as I'm aware, those were either delayed or weren't actually released.

Thanks Starbog.
StarBog Posted - 07 Sep 2008 : 21:07:48
As far as I'm aware, those were either delayed or weren't actually released.
Fillow Posted - 07 Sep 2008 : 20:49:03

Tanks for reading.
StarBog Posted - 07 Sep 2008 : 19:21:03
Slight necro-bumpage, but you'll forgive me I'm sure as I just checked my hard disk and found I have the following LGR modules in PDF format (all with associated illustrations and other accouterments).

LGR01 Extermination
LGR02 Gray Hunt
LGR03 Key to Phantoms' Cloister
LGR05 Dark Exodus
LGR06 Epidemic
LGR07 Nurture and Nature
LGR08 Rat's Bastard
LGR09 Denial of Resource
LGR11 Humility
LGR12 Tyranny
LGR13 Book Knowledge
LGR16 In Cold Blood
LGR17 Tour of Duty
LGR18 Feast of the Moon
LGR19 A Difference of Opinion
LGR20 The Howling of a Mighty Storm
LGR21 The Truth of Hearts
LGR22 As Seconds Slip Away
LGR24 To Sever the Snake's Head

XGR1 Under High Lord's Hall
XGR2 Dungeon of the Hark
XGR3 Undermountain
XGR4 Ruins of Karse

In total, these are almost 50 MB of PDFs.

However, I'm am unsure of the copyright status of these and the associated legalities of distributing them, so until I get clarification on this, I can't distribute them to anyone else.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 29 Jul 2008 : 18:07:41
quote:
Originally posted by Cato the Elder

I just received my reply from WotC this morning. It read as follows:

"Hi There,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, Legacy of the Green Regent is no longer available, and we no longer have it anymore. I apologize for the inconvenience."

So if it is there, not even WotC employees can find it. Therefore, I would say that your best hope is to get the PDFs from someone that has them already.

PDK, thank you for the offer. I'll PM you when you get back.

LOL! not surprised WotC gave you the shaft... I'm back on Friday so maybe I'll be able to help you then. I know I still have the first Green Regent adventure in print; just don't know if I have the sequels in PDF. What I know, however, is that I stopped playing Green Regent after two or three adventures, so three adventures would be the most I could find for you, if at all (and I don't know how many of them they published in total; I might have to contact some of my west coast friends to help you there)
Cato the Elder Posted - 29 Jul 2008 : 15:59:24
I just received my reply from WotC this morning. It read as follows:

"Hi There,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately, Legacy of the Green Regent is no longer available, and we no longer have it anymore. I apologize for the inconvenience."

So if it is there, not even WotC employees can find it. Therefore, I would say that your best hope is to get the PDFs from someone that has them already.

PDK, thank you for the offer. I'll PM you when you get back.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 29 Jul 2008 : 08:19:35
You won't find them on the wizards website... it's like they've been carefully buried somewhere nobody will find them (and the diggers cursed all the way, and spat upon the disgusting abobination they were entombing...)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000