Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Metals of the realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sherincall Tijanic Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 21:12:15
I'm looking on some info on the different metals in the realms..

Specifically interested in Darksteel, Cold Iron and Alchemical Silver, though anything will be of assistance. Any idea where I could find some specifics?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Sherincall Tijanic Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 08:42:17
Thanks all, though I am leaning to a non-canonical version, where Cold Iron is an alloy of Iron created with some arcane intervention. I think that will work just right.
Yuen Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 04:26:46
After some digging I came to the conclusion that no one likes to write about cold iron. Like Volo, Magic of Faerun also lists every metal imaginable, except Cold Iron.

Most people seem to think of Cold Iron as ordinary iron which is not heated in the forging process. This discussion includes cold iron, and a guy called Tydirium mentions the old Planescape Monstrous Compendium Appendix I as a reference to cold forging thing, but I can't find it anywhere in the book.

What I can say for sure is that in various cultures, iron was believed to ward against supernatural creatures like ghosts and fey, as well as witches. If you're interested you may want to read part 6 of this article: Iron as a protective charm

Personally, I think the term Cold Iron was used to capture all the folklore of normal iron and make it not THAT easily available to common folk. After all, demons and the like should be reasonably hard to kill, and not every peasant should be able to hurt them with their iron pitchfork.
Dewaint Posted - 23 Jul 2008 : 00:05:07
Cold iron is not specific to the FR. I guess you can find something about it in one of the various monster handbooks, as cold iron is an option to overcome damage reduction. A short description can be found in the DMG p.284, of course.
Sherincall Tijanic Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 21:59:30
Thanks. I checked it, and it indeed contains some valuable info, on all except Cold Iron.
Not much of a problem though, I'll improvise that part, if I can't locate anything.
Jorkens Posted - 22 Jul 2008 : 21:17:06
You might check in Volos Guide To All Things Magical from 2ed. It should be a free download from Wizards page. Metals, alloys, wood and jewels are talked about. I cant remember if these were mentioned specifically though, sorry.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000