Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Watercourse Trilogy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Starchaserva Posted - 23 Jun 2008 : 16:50:26
Has anyone read Philip Athans' "Watercourse Trilogy"? I noticed it the other day, and started reading the first book. If anyone else has read it, I'm curious for your opinions on it. It came out about 2006-07. First book is called "Whisper of Waves"
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Caolin Posted - 08 Apr 2018 : 23:16:06
Here's a fun fact. It's essentially a fantasy retelling of Ayn Rand's The 'Fountainhead' (author's own words). So take that for what it's worth.

https://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com/2012/10/09/id-like-to-thank-my-parents-ed-greenwood-and-ayn-rand/
Markustay Posted - 08 Apr 2018 : 19:33:40
Thanks Wooly!

I asked in two places because I wasn't sure if too many people actually read my 'Maps' thread (which I stupidly use in 'blog-mode' sometimes, so I can't blame them).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Apr 2018 : 19:01:06
As I said in your other thread (duplicating it here to make it easier to find in the future): it's Phyrea's family's country estate.
Markustay Posted - 08 Apr 2018 : 18:44:33
For those of you who have read this work, can someone tell me what 'Berrywilde' is on the map?
Ozzalum Posted - 03 Jul 2008 : 18:57:09
"I know... If I just kick him in the cornerstones, he'll go down like a pile of bricks!"
The Red Walker Posted - 03 Jul 2008 : 18:28:22
I suppose since fighting is partly about angles and pressure points an arcitectual idiot savant could maybe be a decent untrained fighter. But that would be a stretch indeed!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Jul 2008 : 16:02:08
quote:
Originally posted by Starchaserva
Probably the same place the architect learned all his fighting skills, and that Athans has yet to mention

I guess they offered self-defense classes at his architect's school.
Starchaserva Posted - 01 Jul 2008 : 21:45:09
I think I'll sum it up by paraphrasing an old quote "As a writer, Philip Athans is a great editor" I've read the first book, and a third of the second, and so far, I'm not impressed. I'm going to finish the rest of the trilogy before I make my final judgement. I see a lot of what I consider character inconsistencies, especially with Ivar, whom I didn't even know was the main "hero" until halfway through the first book. As I heard before, he lives in destitution until someone who "matters" suddenly shows up and gives him something to do. I thought it wasn't realistic for him to live in abject squalor, never doing anything to help himself, never going out of his way to talk to people or do anything (outside of building) and then all of a sudden he has the stones to break into Phyrea's house. I was like....where did that come from? Probably the same place the architect learned all his fighting skills, and that Athans has yet to mention
The Red Walker Posted - 01 Jul 2008 : 00:42:49
quote:
Originally posted by Starchaserva

Has anyone read Philip Athans' "Watercourse Trilogy"? I noticed it the other day, and started reading the first book. If anyone else has read it, I'm curious for your opinions on it. It came out about 2006-07. First book is called "Whisper of Waves"

How are you enjoying it? I finished them and thought they were worth the effort, but it is disappointing when a trilogy gets less interesting as it goes.
Zelg of Cyric Posted - 26 Jun 2008 : 23:51:56
Overall, I enjoyed it. However, I must say that it went significantly downhill after the first book.
Hawkins Posted - 24 Jun 2008 : 18:03:55
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale
True. Its not like I said I enjoyed the Last Mythal or sumthin'
Indeed. That would have been a crime.

Hey, stop picking on me! I liked the Last Mythal (and the Return of the Archwizards for that matter)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 24 Jun 2008 : 16:13:17
quote:

Indeed. That would have been a crime.

The Red Walker Posted - 24 Jun 2008 : 04:36:26
ah Phyrea..........

Such fond memories
MerrikCale Posted - 24 Jun 2008 : 03:03:13
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Well, Rino, we do agree on a great many things on these boards. But this ain't one of them. I to a degree enjoyed the series.

Hey, that's no crime.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 24 Jun 2008 : 01:15:37
quote:

Well, Rino, we do agree on a great many things on these boards. But this ain't one of them. I to a degree enjoyed the series.

Hey, that's no crime.
MerrikCale Posted - 23 Jun 2008 : 21:26:24
Well, Rino, we do agree on a great many things on these boards. But this ain't one of them. I to a degree enjoyed the series. It was kind of a minor, unassuming story that I enjoyed. Was it great? Nope. Was Baldur's Gate bad? Yup.

But I liked these books. I would give them a B/B-
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 23 Jun 2008 : 20:31:38
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I have not read it because I do not have a favorable view of the author. He largely botched up the novelization of Baldur's Gate.

True--it's hard for me to forget about that. That being said, though, I tried not to let that color my view of the WT--I think those books stand or fall (IMO, fall) on their own merits, or lack thereof.
Hawkins Posted - 23 Jun 2008 : 19:09:48
I have not read it because I do not have a favorable view of the author. He largely botched up the novelization of Baldur's Gate. Maybe someday I will give him a second chance, but I have some many other authors that I know I like (both Realms and non-Realms) that I do not have the time to waste on this trilogy right now.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 23 Jun 2008 : 18:01:03
Yes, many people around here have read it, myself included. My opinion of the trilogy is not particularly favorable, however, I've given my opinion many times and I don't want to repeat everything I've said here, soooo...

If you want to read my comments (among others), check out the related threads in the Book Club forum. Or do a search.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000