Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 dinosaurs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Arion Elenim Posted - 21 Oct 2003 : 15:15:48
Does anyone use dinos in their campaigns? It's never come up for me....I tend to think of them as secluded to Chult in a sort of "lost world" setting-if I think about them on Faerun at all!! Kinda silly, I think...
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bookwyrm Posted - 24 Oct 2003 : 18:59:26
My main problem with dinosaurs on Toril, as I believe I stated before, stems from the fact that the ecology of that world is so . . . hodgepodge. There are just too many species, in my opinion, especially of a certain size -- and far to many carnivorous species to boot. I'll suspend disbelief for some, especially as magic and cross-planar travel could easily make for a mighty strange ecosystem. But things like dinosaurs, who simply don't fit in, are almost begging to be dropped.

Still, at least they didn't make them another intelligent species. There are so many of those, it can get annoying.
Zimeros Posted - 23 Oct 2003 : 15:26:58
I've used dinossaurs in some adventures, I think they're like other monsters. In last adventure that I was a player, not a DM, I saw a "dino hunter", he must capture the dinos and sell they in cormyr or sembia.
If you want, my friend that was the DM, has some informations of dinos and of "dino hunter", I can send to you.
The Sage Posted - 23 Oct 2003 : 07:35:10
As the Bookwyrm stated, my version of Chult has no dinosaurs. My Faerun campaign also has very little 'dinosaur' activity...in the traditional sense.

However, for those of you familiar with the old Star Frontiers RPG, some of you may remember a reptile-like creature from one of the first adventure modules (as usual, the title escapes me...) that described a dinosaur-like creature more in tone with a fantasy setting (even though it is a Sci-Fi setting).

These creature types featured heavily in campaigns I ran several years ago around the Shaar, and the jungle-lands surrounding it. Since I have forgotten most of the exact details, I'll see if I can find the old adventure modules, and write-up a basic summary of the creatures for those of you who may be interested.

William of Waterdeep Posted - 22 Oct 2003 : 21:03:01
I was interested in how well he would take that Arion.Seems at least Alaundo can take a little humor fairly well, luckily for you.
Arion Elenim Posted - 22 Oct 2003 : 17:09:06
Whew*

Luckily, I was wearing my +3 Ac Bonus Cloak vs. Expensive Tomes...glad I didn't have to use it.....

Sorry, Alaundo...couldn't help it...
Bookwyrm Posted - 22 Oct 2003 : 15:46:23
If you look around, you'll find that Sage detailed a version of Chult without a single dinosaur. I've thought them to be one of the strangest things ever published for the Realms . . . .

Oh, and if you have "millions of centuries," that means more than 100,000,000 years ago. While there were certainly many dead species of the dinosaur class by that time (the Triassic having started almost 150 million years before that time), the so-called "Age of Dinosaurs" ended with the Cretaceous about 65 million years ago[::checks calander::] um, and change. So it's more like millions of decades.
Fibura Gauntlet Posted - 22 Oct 2003 : 12:05:33
quote:
Does anyone use dinos in their campaigns? It's never come up for me....I tend to think of them as secluded to Chult in a sort of "lost world" setting-if I think about them on Faerun at all!! Kinda silly, I think...
The was an adventure in Dungeon Magazine about 10 years ago called "Fiends of Tethyr" which pitted a host of dinosaurs against something nasty that an incautious spellcaster had summoned up.

The PC's were caught in the middle of course
Alaundo Posted - 22 Oct 2003 : 07:53:56
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Plus, Faerun tends to gravitate toward a fairly mideval approach to knowledge...(guns are just coming about...DaVinci's inventions are coming to fruition, etc)...our knowledge of dinos didn't come about until MUCH later...let alone the fact they had been DEAD for millions of centuries...

Then again, if Faerun can house Alaundo, its just not fair not to include ALL dinosaurs in the Realms...

(prepares to run)

::lifts a heavy tome behind his head as he prepares to hurl it after ArionElenim, then reads the title on the cover and decides its too valuable to throw::

::grumble, mutter::
young cheeky whippersnappers
::grumble::
Arion Elenim Posted - 22 Oct 2003 : 05:28:55
Plus, Faerun tends to gravitate toward a fairly mideval approach to knowledge...(guns are just coming about...DaVinci's inventions are coming to fruition, etc)...our knowledge of dinos didn't come about until MUCH later...let alone the fact they had been DEAD for millions of centuries...

Then again, if Faerun can house Alaundo, its just not fair not to include ALL dinosaurs in the Realms...

(prepares to run)
William of Waterdeep Posted - 22 Oct 2003 : 04:40:18
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

I agree ArionElenim. Ill never use dinosaurs in my campaign, it has no Realms feeling to it whatsoever. I leave them confined to Chult too but ive plenty of other jungle-dwelling creatures to throw in before needing to use dino's

I have never run the Jungles of Chult adventure module so dont know the plot of the adventure, but I think id substitute dino's for other creatures. I feel that TSR felt obliged to use dino's at the time as Jurassic Park was all the rage at the movies.

Wasn't Jurassic Park filmed in Chult?
Jander Sunstar Posted - 21 Oct 2003 : 21:50:47
Kazgaroth is kind of a dino
altough it is defined as tyronosour
I can use them as a sort of drogon but animal intellegence will be an obstacle for them
Trafaldi Posted - 21 Oct 2003 : 21:37:28
Im am going to try and use them in a game and i will tell how it goes
Lord Rad Posted - 21 Oct 2003 : 16:50:23
I agree ArionElenim. Ill never use dinosaurs in my campaign, it has no Realms feeling to it whatsoever. I leave them confined to Chult too but ive plenty of other jungle-dwelling creatures to throw in before needing to use dino's

I have never run the Jungles of Chult adventure module so dont know the plot of the adventure, but I think id substitute dino's for other creatures. I feel that TSR felt obliged to use dino's at the time as Jurassic Park was all the rage at the movies.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000