Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Stardeep: Chapters 1 - 6

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 05 Oct 2007 : 17:53:11
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Stardeep (Book 3 of the Dungeons series), by Bruce R. Cordell. Please discuss chapters 1 - 6 herein.

Please also see Bruce's dedicated Stardeep website for more details.
26   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kyrene Posted - 29 May 2008 : 07:00:59
While I will state at the onset that I am not really a fan of Bruce's writing, I am liking what I've read thusfar. Not stumbling over bad editing, like I did with Lady of Poison and Darkvision makes it seem at this early stage that this is the best of his three FR novels thusfar.

I'm also not a great fan of anything elvish, so I don't know how I will tolerate the rest of the book if it is too elf-centric, but I have been both startled and surprised by the chapters dealing with Gage and Raidon. Even the Hal/Computer (Star Trek) in the form of Cynosure is quite refreshing.

When I first saw that Bruce Cordell was again an author for one of the FR books on my list to buy/read, it concerned me, but it seems that I will actually end up liking this well enough. Certainly, nothing can at this stage be worse than Heirs of Prophecy.
Braveheart Posted - 08 May 2008 : 17:05:29
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

I found the nature of "the sword" to be a bit troubling. I liked the concept of the divided soul but it seems like something is missing. If the soul is supposed to have been divided into pure good and pure evil, what happened to concepts like compassion and mercy? Surely they aren't in the evil half of the sword. Did that aspect of the man's character just disappear?

I was actually wondering the same thing.

Another thing I didn't understand. The "good" sword makes the wielder a clearer thinker (that is, not doubting, not distracted), right? Well, how come the "bad" sword does the same thing? It just seemed strange to me that "clear thinking" part of the soul wound up in both essences (and thus, both swords).

Hm, as has been stated before in some FR novels, "good" and "evil" often just differ in their view of a certain fact. The swords steer the thoughts of their wielders into those two opposite directions. Although the outcome often doesn't differ that much: innocent people get killed both ways...
I just don't unterstand why the "good" sword won't kill any star elves. Is it that superficial on deciding who dies and who lives by it's standards, or am I missing something?

Cynosure reminds me strongly of HAL9000, with it's fairspoken voice etc.

Bruce's writing does improve from novel to novel, Stardeep being the best to date and I do enjoy the book a lot. Didn't notice any sci-fi/ish stuff until know. I don't read that much SciFi anyway ;-)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 21:46:48
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

I found the nature of "the sword" to be a bit troubling. I liked the concept of the divided soul but it seems like something is missing. If the soul is supposed to have been divided into pure good and pure evil, what happened to concepts like compassion and mercy? Surely they aren't in the evil half of the sword. Did that aspect of the man's character just disappear?

I was actually wondering the same thing.

Another thing I didn't understand. The "good" sword makes the wielder a clearer thinker (that is, not doubting, not distracted), right? Well, how come the "bad" sword does the same thing? It just seemed strange to me that "clear thinking" part of the soul wound up in both essences (and thus, both swords).
Ozzalum Posted - 21 Jan 2008 : 14:16:31

It seems the sword has judgment and discernment but that's not all there is to "good."

The sci-fi aspect didn't bother me much though I was pulled out of the story when the author referred to the monk pressing on the wizard's carotid artery. Such a precise medical reference seemed out of place in a fantasy novel.

But I am really enjoying this book overall.
The Red Walker Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 03:05:38
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

*whimpers*

I read the first 5 characters today and I think I'm scarred for life. Artificial intelligence created by magic that's learned to lie?

Am I reading Forgotten Realms... wtf.. no more. It takes real talent to get me to stop reading a book.

If this was the guy that won the contest to write one of The Priests novels, please, send him back where you found him Wizards. If it's not.. well.. do the same.

I think you should give it a few more pages.....I do not want to spoil anything, but in trying to prevent your quitting the book I will try to say as little as possible....

Cynosure does not exactly learn to lie, lets just say that he is tampered with.

P.S. For me the A.I. aspect of Cynosure turned me off a bit, but I still enjoyed the book.
SirUrza Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 00:11:30
*whimpers*

I read the first 5 characters today and I think I'm scarred for life. Artificial intelligence created by magic that's learned to lie?

Am I reading Forgotten Realms... wtf.. no more. It takes real talent to get me to stop reading a book.

If this was the guy that won the contest to write one of The Priests novels, please, send him back where you found him Wizards. If it's not.. well.. do the same.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Dec 2007 : 00:23:43
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Thanks! ;) What's the general story behind the book? I'm seriously thinking of buying this book, but don't know the basis of the story. Are the main characters good or evil, and what year does it take place, and all that jazz. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

That's a lot for me to answer...have you read any of Bruce's other books? This novel stars Kiril, who was a side character in the novel Darkvision. Since you like elves, and it has so much to do with Star Elves, Sildeyuir, and the elves of the Yuirwood, why not try it out? You'd probably like it. It takes place in midwinter of 1375 DR.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 04 Dec 2007 : 20:13:25
Thanks! ;) What's the general story behind the book? I'm seriously thinking of buying this book, but don't know the basis of the story. Are the main characters good or evil, and what year does it take place, and all that jazz. Thanks again.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Dec 2007 : 22:33:05
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Elven Vampire

Any elves in this book?

Uh, yeah. Star elves, for the most part, and some wood elves.
Copper Elven Vampire Posted - 02 Dec 2007 : 17:24:49
Any elves in this book? What is this book about? Can anyone help me out with this?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 13 Nov 2007 : 02:44:21
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:

I was going to say, I could maybe pick one up for you. But you'll likely get your hands on it sooner than you would it I mailed it, anyway.

Thanks for the offer RF , but I'll probably be able to get it Tuesday, and likely won't read it until I finish The Orc King anyway.

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy The Orc King in the meantime.
Xysma Posted - 12 Nov 2007 : 05:41:39
quote:

I was going to say, I could maybe pick one up for you. But you'll likely get your hands on it sooner than you would it I mailed it, anyway.

Thanks for the offer RF , but I'll probably be able to get it Tuesday, and likely won't read it until I finish The Orc King anyway.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Nov 2007 : 01:13:01
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Not sure what I think of Telerian yet, so far he seems to be just another character who thinks that his abilities are too much for his peers to "understand". So along comes evil, manipulates that flaw and Voila!!! So slowly he doesn't realize it, the "good guy" goes very very bad and does the evils bidding. He cannot see that he will not be preventing the distant future, but will be hastening it.

Yeah, it looks like the character is going in that direction. We've see it all before, but I'm enjoying it.
The Red Walker Posted - 11 Nov 2007 : 15:24:05
Enjoyed seeing Kiril again and finding out why she is so deep into her flask, as well as why she cannot bear to part with the sword that cause her pain.

Not sure what I think of Telerian yet, so far he seems to be just another character who thinks that his abilities are too much for his peers to "understand". So along comes evil, manipulates that flaw and Voila!!! So slowly he doesn't realize it, the "good guy" goes very very bad and does the evils bidding. He cannot see that he will not be preventing the distant future, but will be hastening it.

I hope I am wrong but that is how I see it after 6 chapters.

AS we know the Aboleths are here in what 1384 or 85?? Maybe sooner.
So It looks like we are seeing who may allow them back into Toril.....or Abeir-Toril, it looks like we might see that question answered soon as well!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 23:28:56
quote:
I don't know why this one is so hard to find, I usually get them pretty quickly, my local Borders has a great selection of Realms novels. They'll probably stock a few next week.

Xysma Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 03:01:29
quote:

quote:

quote:
I like the other characters who are being introduced as well.

Cool, that's even better. I can usually trust your taste in characters.

Thanks, glad to hear it.

quote:
I found a copy of this book on my lunch break today, but it was all beat up. I guess it'll be a couple of weeks before I get it .

Darn it. Surely it must be easier to obtain than that? If not, PM me.

I don't know why this one is so hard to find, I usually get them pretty quickly, my local Borders has a great selection of Realms novels. They'll probably stock a few next week.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 21:09:18
quote:

quote:

Cool, that's even better. I can usually trust your taste in characters.

Thanks, glad to hear it.

quote:
I found a copy of this book on my lunch break today, but it was all beat up. I guess it'll be a couple of weeks before I get it .

Darn it. Surely it must be easier to obtain than that? If not, PM me.
Xysma Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 20:40:05
quote:

Cool, that's even better. I can usually trust your taste in characters. I found a copy of this book on my lunch break today, but it was all beat up. I guess it'll be a couple of weeks before I get it .
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 18:44:42
quote:

Thanks for your thoughts RF, you've really piqued my interest in this one. For some reason, I haven't seen or heard much about this one, I didn't even know Kiril was in it, that alone makes me want to read it.

You're welcome. Yes, Kiril's story is still interesting (she was the main reason I was eager to read the book), and I like the other characters who are being introduced as well.
Xysma Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 17:30:45
Thanks for your thoughts RF, you've really piqued my interest in this one. For some reason, I haven't seen or heard much about this one, I didn't even know Kiril was in it, that alone makes me want to read it.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 17:20:54
Chapter 6 was wonderful. Kiril finally makes an entrance into the story, and we finally learn why she prefers to live in a drunken haze. God, who wouldn't feel that way? As I said, I'm not fond of the "sci/fi-ish parts of the book, but I'm enjoying everything else. Great characters so far, and I have to give Mr. Cordell credit for getting me hooked. Sci/fi stuff and 4E baggage aside (speculation about aboleths, etc.), I'm warming up to this novel.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Nov 2007 : 02:08:12
I would like to mention that while I was not fond at all of the "spacey" scenes taking place inside Stardeep, I am loving the scenes with the thief in Laothkund. It feels like I'm reading a different book, almost--like I've wandered out of an Alien novelization and back into an FR sword and sorcery novel.
Brimstone Posted - 05 Nov 2007 : 06:34:44
So you think I am zealous, huh? I asked Bruce about what I have been tripping about on the WotC boards. Looks like I was wrong!!!
Here is his answer.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9676
Its down at the bottom.
Yeah I am a total dork!!! ROFL AT MYSELF!!!
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Nov 2007 : 02:13:25
quote:
Originally posted by Mkhaiwati

I should also warn you that many questions regarding what was in the Orc King Prologue are getting answered here. Already a elder aboleth city from before the creator races has figured in. Also, the strange comment that the world forgot about Abeir after the city was banished to the depths of the world kinda made me wonder. The city wasn't called Abeir, so I am not sure if it was just the aberrations themselves, or what.

Yes, I heard about this from zealous reader on the WotC boards. I must also confess that I skimmed the book a bit, too.
Mkhaiwati Posted - 03 Nov 2007 : 14:15:02
I should also warn you that many questions regarding what was in the Orc King Prologue are getting answered here. Already a elder aboleth city from before the creator races has figured in. Also, the strange comment that the world forgot about Abeir after the city was banished to the depths of the world kinda made me wonder. The city wasn't called Abeir, so I am not sure if it was just the aberrations themselves, or what.

His style doesn't fit Realms fiction, though it does agree with me. I am about 1/3rd of the way through (not sure what chapter, however.)

The part of Nangulis's soul being used for the swords was interesting, half into Angul and the other part into Nis. The naming of the swords (N-Angul-is) makes sense, yet seems kinda cutesy to me. Nis backwards is sin, also. The other keeper, Telerian I think, is definitely being set up by the Traitor, I think. He has all the telltale signs of being manipulated.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Nov 2007 : 16:18:06
Just cracked open this novel. Much as I expected, Bruce Cordell's style seems way too sci/fi-ish for what I prefer in a Realms novel, but I do look forward to reading more about Kiril.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000