Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Stats for the Hargaunt

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 27 Apr 2008 : 04:16:39
Well met, all.

I'm looking for stats on a monster called a "Hargaunt" that is used by the Wizard Horaundoon in Ed's "Swords of Eveningstar" and by the wizard Ghoroul Applethorn in "Swords of Dragonfire". I can't seem to find it in any of the Monster Compendia or Appendices.
Cheers,
Afet
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 Jan 2019 : 18:29:13
It's been 10 years since this question was originally asked... Did we ever get more info on the hargaunt?
The Hooded One Posted - 04 May 2008 : 02:48:30
It's a classic theme or "trope" of fantasy (symbiotic human/monster relationship for mutual benefit, often longevity). Something Ed likes to use because he can show the human part of such a linkage exploring (or clinging to) what is most important to them, of their humanity (or at least reason for continued existence).
love,
THO
monknwildcat Posted - 03 May 2008 : 19:45:01
The bell-ringing reminds me of the creature that tracked El to Myth Drannor. Was that a hargaunt? (Really good read, BTW.)
Pasta Fzoul Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 04:59:01
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

The Hargaaunt, as THO said, it is an amorphous, simbiotic creature. In SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE it is described as having tentacles. In SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR the Wizard Horaundoon keeps the Hargaunt as a kind of pet and uses it to disguise himself. He wears the Hargaunt, which molds itself to the likeness desired by the wearer. The Hargaunt does not appear to be overly intelligent but it appears to be at least mildly psionic being highly attuned to the emotions of its master. It expresses itself via a series of bell-like sounds. I can't rightly remember what the Hargaunt gains from the relationship.
Cheers,
Afet

Hmm, this sounds extremely similar to something I remember reading about a particular (ancient Athalantan?) wizard whose longevity was due to bonding with a similar creature. Does anyone recall such a thing?
The Hooded One Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 04:26:54
Correct. And under NAFTA, Canada and the USA recognize each other's copyright agreements as applying in the respective countries. Public libraries, BTW, pay into the Cancopy License program, which compensates publishers, so if you photocopy the Peltast at a library, you are doubly covered. The Peltast, if I remember rightly, laps onto parts of two pages.
Ed has details of the Hargaunt, but they got caught in the 3e to 3.5e to 4e shift, as he was writing the trilogy. Who knows if and when they'll see "print" (probably DDI).
love to all,
THO
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 03:30:35
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, I have good news and bad news for you... I have the pdf of Dragon 89, from the Dragon Magazine Archive. Unfortunately, the article appears to have been on an insert that is not part of the pdf.

And it's not personal use if you copy something for someone else. Especially if you copy for someone else so they can avoid paying for it.

However... The peltast has a Monstrous Compendium page in the 2E City of Splendors boxed set. And not only is this one of the best supplements we've ever had for Waterdeep (the other being Volo's Guide to Waterdeep), but it's also available for only $4 from Paizo.

Odd error on the Dragondex site... The peltast article is, according to the Dragondex, a 3E article!

Excellent, thanks Wooly! Found it. I have the City of Spendors Boxed set.

As I understand it, a copy made for personal use is a copy made for an individual to use, regardless of who makes the actual copy. If I were to request a copy of the relevant pages through an interlibrary loan request, for example, I would not be the person making the actual copies, but they would still be for personal use and fall within Fair Dealing practice.

The legal question of copying things to avoid purchasing them is a question of degree. The question here is not whether I will not or cannot purchase the publication, but rather whether a portion of that publication may be copied for personal use without infringing on copyright law. Canadian Law stipulates clearly that up to 10% of a publication may be copied for personal use without infringement.
Cheers,
Afet
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 03:16:29
Well, I have good news and bad news for you... I have the pdf of Dragon 89, from the Dragon Magazine Archive. Unfortunately, the article appears to have been on an insert that is not part of the pdf.

And it's not personal use if you copy something for someone else. Especially if you copy for someone else so they can avoid paying for it.

However... The peltast has a Monstrous Compendium page in the 2E City of Splendors boxed set. And not only is this one of the best supplements we've ever had for Waterdeep (the other being Volo's Guide to Waterdeep), but it's also available for only $4 from Paizo.

Odd error on the Dragondex site... The peltast article is, according to the Dragondex, a 3E article!
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 02:39:18
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

According to the DragonDex (awesome site, makes me miss Dragon every time I use it): http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/monsters.html#p

The Peltast appears in issue 89's Creature Catalog.

Great, thanks! Sounds like I'll have to see if the Library can get that issue via interlibrary loan. Issue 89 is available from Paizo for $15+tax etc., which is, unfortunately, more than I can justify on my gaming budget for single article. It would be great if someone who has that issue would be willing to scan the article and send it to me? I don't know the laws for other jurisdictions, but Canadian copyright law allows for the copying of up to 10% of a publication for personal use. So, I'm sure copying the page(s) relating to the Peltast would fall well within "Fair Dealing" guidlines.
Cheers,
Afet
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 02:08:51
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

My memory is not the best. Could you give me some more information on the creature?

The Hargaaunt, as THO said, it is an amorphous, simbiotic creature. In SWORDS OF DRAGONFIRE it is described as having tentacles. In SWORDS OF EVENINGSTAR the Wizard Horaundoon keeps the Hargaunt as a kind of pet and uses it to disguise himself. He wears the Hargaunt, which molds itself to the likeness desired by the wearer. The Hargaunt does not appear to be overly intelligent but it appears to be at least mildly psionic being highly attuned to the emotions of its master. It expresses itself via a series of bell-like sounds. I can't rightly remember what the Hargaunt gains from the relationship.
Cheers,
Afet
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 02:04:26
quote:

Thanks THO. Fortunately, I am runing 2nd Edition. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate any of the three creatures you suggested in any of my 2nd Edition monster manuals, compendiums or appendices. Can anyone help me to locate them? Also, I don't own any DRAGON, but our public library has the last 10 years or so. Could you (or anyone else) tell me what number the Old Peltast appears in, or perhaps what year?
Cheers,
Afet

The Peltast was detailed by Ed in DRAGON #89. For future reference, you can check the vast DRAGON article index stored at the DragonDex site:- http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/
KnightErrantJR Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 02:02:40
According to the DragonDex (awesome site, makes me miss Dragon every time I use it): http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/monsters.html#p

The Peltast appears in issue 89's Creature Catalog.
Afetbinttuzani Posted - 28 Apr 2008 : 01:55:10
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi. Sorry, the stats haven't been published anywhere yet. Until then, I'd say use (update) the stats for the old Peltast (2nd Edition creature, first published in DRAGON, an Ed Greenwood monster) or modify the executioner's hood (2nd Ed) or darkmantle. It's a smallish, amorphous symbiotic shapechanging critter, as you have probably gathered from the text of the novels. Something Ed lacked the wordcount to do more with, in the Knights books, i'm afraid.
love,
THO

Thanks THO. Fortunately, I am runing 2nd Edition. Unfortunately, I can't seem to locate any of the three creatures you suggested in any of my 2nd Edition monster manuals, compendiums or appendices. Can anyone help me to locate them? Also, I don't own any DRAGON, but our public library has the last 10 years or so. Could you (or anyone else) tell me what number the Old Peltast appears in, or perhaps what year?
Cheers,
Afet
The Hooded One Posted - 27 Apr 2008 : 17:08:43
Hi. Sorry, the stats haven't been published anywhere yet. Until then, I'd say use (update) the stats for the old Peltast (2nd Edition creature, first published in DRAGON, an Ed Greenwood monster) or modify the executioner's hood (2nd Ed) or darkmantle. It's a smallish, amorphous symbiotic shapechanging critter, as you have probably gathered from the text of the novels. Something Ed lacked the wordcount to do more with, in the Knights books, i'm afraid.
love,
THO
Jorkens Posted - 27 Apr 2008 : 07:23:37
My memory is not the best. Could you give me some more information on the creature?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000