Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Author's forum

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
hammer of Moradin Posted - 01 Jan 2005 : 19:41:50
With Alaundo's permission, I would like to have a place for all of our authors to come and answer general questions from the gallery. While we often have specific questions for specific authors, sometimes there are questions that everyone may have an opinion on.
My first question, similar to one I posted at our sister site, is what suggestions do our authors have for aspiring writers, for the Realms or otherwise?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Duneth Despana Posted - 02 Sep 2015 : 16:52:14
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

You put the blame on wrong heads.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't trying to point fingers and place blame so much as I was curious, wanting a peek behind the scenes (kinda like how I wonder why there is so much greco-roman art in Faiths&Pantheons, Demihuman Deities and Powers&Pantheons.)
TBeholder Posted - 02 Sep 2015 : 01:13:57
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

I'm talking about misspellings that are consistent throughout novels. I was thinking about this because I'm currently reading Evermeet and the misspellings mithal, Deep Sashales, Aber-Toril are not once written correctly throughout the novel. I'm wondering if this is because the reference material given to the authors was handwritten notes hard to decipher or some other reason.

You put the blame on wrong heads. If the problem was with the authors, we shouldn't be able to see it anyway. It's a problem with editors.
And the editors who know what the writers should write, but unable to do their own jobs any better than an average circus monkey would were a problem back from TSR times.
And yes, a company treating quality control as a plum job for toadies shows exactly how much it cares about customers.
quote:
"I can tell you that many individuals from an entire generation (and heading into a second generation) of teachers, journalists, and, yes, professional editors in North America seemingly managed to get through school without ever learning proper grammar—and we can all read the results, every day."
Duneth Despana Posted - 31 Aug 2015 : 20:11:15
I used 'typo' for lack of a better word. I'm talking about misspellings that are consistent throughout novels. I was thinking about this because I'm currently reading Evermeet and the misspellings mithal, Deep Sashales, Aber-Toril are not once written correctly throughout the novel. I'm wondering if this is because the reference material given to the authors was handwritten notes hard to decipher or some other reason.

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Why are there so many 'typos' ... or rather consistent misspellings in the early FR novels? (e.g. Lloth, mithal, Deep Sashales, Aber-Toril, Solausein etc.)

Typos happen. It's not just 2E novels. I'm still amused by the month of Ukta in one of the 3E sourcebooks.

Heck, I've been reading the new Southlands book that I got via Kickstarter -- this is a brand new book from Kobold Press, and it has typos in it. And at least one line of repeated text, and a place where the punctuation wasn't correct...

Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 Aug 2015 : 16:45:10
quote:

Why are there so many 'typos' ... or rather consistent misspellings in the early FR novels? (e.g. Lloth, mithal, Deep Sashales, Aber-Toril, Solausein etc.)

Typos happen. It's not just 2E novels. I'm still amused by the month of Ukta in one of the 3E sourcebooks.

Heck, I've been reading the new Southlands book that I got via Kickstarter -- this is a brand new book from Kobold Press, and it has typos in it. And at least one line of repeated text, and a place where the punctuation wasn't correct...
Duneth Despana Posted - 31 Aug 2015 : 13:46:05
xaeyruudh Posted - 20 Feb 2015 : 20:19:42
Not a question, but a bit of humor for authors. Go ahead and indulge your evil chuckles. Though I'm sure it's not new and you may have seen it before.

Seen on uberhumor (not my own composition):

"If I was a famous author I would publish a book with ten different endings which all went to print with varying degrees of rarity, but not tell the fans about it so that I could watch their confusion as they disagree over how the story ended. Then when they figured it out I would 'come clean', telling them I had released eleven alternate endings and watch them panic again as they all try to find the last ending."
Thrasymachus Posted - 04 Mar 2013 : 07:59:47
First, thanks for taking the time to frequent this forum.

I invite each of you to go to the Wizards site. Look up any one of your 185 audio books and click on it. You’ll see that it goes exclusively to Audible.

You would never know it by frequenting the Wizards site, but there’s about 185 Forgotten Realms Books in the Itunes store

Not everyone has a membership (or wants one) to Audible, but everyone can access Itunes. I doubt there is a person in this forum that doesn't have a partially used Itunes card either in their desk or wallet/purse.

Last note: When I search Itunes by author your contributions in Anthologies do not show up in the results either.

Here’s an example using Richard Lee Byers…
All of these except The Shattered Mask (I don’t think they did that one) turned up by searching “Forgotten Realms”. If I wrote “Yes” it’s available on Itunes.

The Halls of Stormweather (Yes: Searching by “Richard Lee Byers” fails probably because it’s an Anthology, but it turns up when searched by title)
The Shattered Mask (Search by Author and/or title fails to find this. Maybe not released yet)
Dissolution (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Black Bouquet (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

Realms of the Dragons Anthology (short story by RLB) (Yes: Searching by “Richard Lee Byers” fails probably because it’s an Anthology, but it turns up when searched by title)
The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy - The Rage (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy - The Rite (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy - The Ruin (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

Queen of the Depths (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

Realms of the Dead - The Haunted Lands Anthology (short story by RLB) (Yes: Searching by “Richard Lee Byers” fails probably because it’s an Anthology, but it turns up when searched by title)
The Haunted Lands trilogy -Unclean (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Haunted Lands trilogy -Undead (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
The Haunted Lands trilogy -Unholy (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

Brotherhood of the Griffon - The Captive Flame (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
Brotherhood of the Griffon - Whisper of Venom (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
Brotherhood of the Griffon - The Spectral Blaze (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
Brotherhood of the Griffon - The Masked Witches (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)
Brotherhood of the Griffon - Prophet of the Dead (Yes: Search by “Richard Lee Byers”)

The Sundering - The Reaver (not released as of yet)

I only bring it up because I want you all to be filthy rich. I mean like disgustingly dirty rich.
But not so rich you stop writing.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 01 Jan 2013 : 22:09:00
I am happy to anchor that one! Great anthology, one every FR fan should read.

Cheers

Gabrielle_H Posted - 22 Dec 2012 : 07:56:54
In my anthologies, the first and last spots go to two of the strongest stories.

The first story sets the tone for the entire anthology, so it should be the best and most powerful example that shows the reader what they're getting into. For WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME, Ed and I choose Jay Lake and Shannon Page's story because we wanted to show the reader that they hadn't opened a whole book of fantasy stories where the knight rides up victoriously to the castle gates.

The last story gives closure to the anthology, so it should be the best and most powerful story that ends on the right note, with the feel the anthologists want the reader walking away with. For HERO, it was Erik Scott de Bie's "Oathbreaker." I'm not sure how many anthologists do this particular trick, but in both our anthologies so far, Ed and I have chosen a final story that ends with a protagonist making a dramatic exit.

It's not as much a popularity contest as it is a consideration for the flow of the stories. You want some of the big names in the middle so that people don't just read the first and last stories and ignore the rest. Some people will just spot-check their favorites no matter how you order the stories, but it's important to have a flow for the people who read front to back.

My ever-learning 2 coppers...

Markustay Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 18:11:15
It doesn't matter to me either, and thats why I never gave it any thought. In this instance, I am going to take Richard Lee Byers info as sanctimont on this issue. His name appears first in the anthology connected to his Haunted Lands series, and RAS is the anchor. Funny... I bet this is something most people not in the industry don't ever notice (and I've read tons of anthologies over the years).

I requested both the first and last spots in something, and now I understand the... ummmm... attitude it was met with. It hadn't even dawned on me that it meant anything (I was just thinking about the best impact for what I was writing - it needed to be cut into two parts, as far away from each other as possible, to have maximum effect). In a way, almost becoming both the prologue and epilogue for the rest.

Ahhh well... maybe when I get famous.
Dennis Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 03:04:24

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me, either. I read the stories in most of the anthologies not in order. Usually read first (and sometimes, only) those by my favorite authors, realms, and characters. Others I reserve for future foray, or simply ignore.
The Sage Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 02:57:55
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So I was talking to my GF last night, and I think I may have inadvertently made a faux pas (on another, related site).

Is there a 'pecking order' in anthologies? Does it matter to anyone "who goes first?", or what order they are in, at all? This is something I had never even considered until I was asked myself - I just never gave it any thought.

I unfortunately don't have too many FR anthologies anymore, but I think that if the anthology is connected to a related series, then the author of the main series goes first... am I correct in this thinking? What if the anthology isn't related to a series?

Generally, I don't think it really matters.

I've read and re-read the anthologies that aren't tied to particular trilogies both in published order, and randomly... even going so far as to read the stories contained within each on my personal whims rather than the orders in which they were published.

The trilogy-specific anthologies are hard to judge, but, again, I haven't had too much problem applying the reading method I mentioned above, to these as well. However, both volumes of the Realms of the Dragons series did prove somewhat confusing for me, when I read the second volume, then the first, and then finally the trilogy.
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 02:46:35
I've always understood that the two star spots in an anthology are the first and last. Many times, they will go to the two authors who are considered the biggest names. It is also possible for an editor to assign them to stories he considers to be especially strong.
Dennis Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 01:08:52

If it's not part of a series, I think they go by popularity. Ed, RAS, and Elaine usually come first or last. [As in "Reserve the first row of seats for the VIPs," or "Save the best for last."] At least that's how it is in The Best of the Realms anthologies.
Markustay Posted - 23 Oct 2012 : 00:23:19
So I was talking to my GF last night, and I think I may have inadvertently made a faux pas (on another, related site).

Is there a 'pecking order' in anthologies? Does it matter to anyone "who goes first?", or what order they are in, at all? This is something I had never even considered until I was asked myself - I just never gave it any thought.

I unfortunately don't have too many FR anthologies anymore, but I think that if the anthology is connected to a related series, then the author of the main series goes first... am I correct in this thinking? What if the anthology isn't related to a series?
Azuth Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 15:36:19
quote:
Originally posted by WizardsHerb

Thanks guys, Spot check failure on my part. :P

Unfortunately the link doesn't help me with my questions. :(
Would it help if I elaborated?

You do not require permission to create/submit a work to send to a copyright holder containing their copyrighted material. What they'll decide to do with it is entirely in their realm, regardless of what the pages on their Website say. You may be asked to change to a different time period, you could also be asked to change the color of someone's hair. The key is: write the story you want to tell, and submit the first thirty pages to WoTC, exactly as they request it. If you're looking for movie rights, that's a whole different ball game.

In movie production, first someone goes to WoTC’s office with a pitch. Then, if they like it, they find a studio to whom they will (or have) contract(ed) the rights, and you go to that office and make a pitch with them. If all goes really well, the studio likes it, they hire a member of the Screen Writer's Guild to turn the story into a script, hire a director, a producer, and executive producer, cast the movie, budget the movie, and film the movie. You might get to write the novelization of the movie if it was your story, but even that isn't a given.

Azuth

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 14:17:14
quote:

It certainly won't hurt.
WizardsHerb Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 14:12:08

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 04:16:00
quote:
Originally posted by Azuth

make sure it didn't put a period on the end of the URL.

I was about to say that. I've removed the period so that it'll work now.
Azuth Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 04:14:27
make sure it didn't put a period on the end of the URL.
WizardsHerb Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 01:41:28
Thank you, Azuth. :)
The link does not work for me. Is it only accessible under special accounts of some sort on the Wizards website? It tells me that the target does not exist.
Azuth Posted - 07 Oct 2011 : 00:52:27
quote:

I have some questions regarding writing direction, permissions and copyright. They're not all novel-writing related, but I think this is likely the most suitable thread for them.
<snip>.

For FR fiction, are WotC requiring that it all be set and styled for the 4th edition of D&D?
What kind of target audience do they ask for?
Do they ever request product placement, such as asking for character race or class to be changed to match a new sourcebook?

Do WotC or Hasbro give permission to use the D&D/FR copyrights? Does it depend on what the property would be used for?
<snip>
Thank you. :)

Wizards of the Coast bought TSR, so any agreements with TSR are now agreements with WoTC. With respect to copyright usage of the characters in fiction, Wizbro allows you to use the characters in creating works for submission to them for publishing consideration only. The guidelines, which are updated often, can be found at http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/writersguidelines

You're always free to use copyrighted material if it in submission of suggestions to the copyright holder. This is considered "fair use" under the Copyright Act. You may not, however, publish or otherwise distribute the material without the permission of the copyright holder. As to which world, editon, et cetera, I have found that publishing houses prefer books in the current setting. All of the new novels are in the era of the Fourth Edition, but the "rules" aren't exactly a subject of most books. For example, in a book your character either hits or misses when swinging, it doesn't matter if you use THAC0 or the D20 system as the outcome is predetermined by you, the author. Remember: what you submit is never what gets published. Editors (bless their wicked souls) pull sentences and paragraphs and chapters as needed. It's not a fun process, but that helps insure "continuity" in shared-world settings like the Realms. Hope this helps.

Azuth

Mod edit: Removed the period after the URL, so it would work.
WizardsHerb Posted - 06 Oct 2011 : 22:15:26
I have some questions regarding writing direction, permissions and copyright. They're not all novel-writing related, but I think this is likely the most suitable thread for them.
I had a look around until I developed a headache, so apologies if some of these are answered somewhere nearby or if I roll badly on my Diplomacy.

For FR fiction, are WotC requiring that it all be set and styled for the 4th edition of D&D?
What kind of target audience do they ask for?
Do they ever request product placement, such as asking for character race or class to be changed to match a new sourcebook?

Do WotC or Hasbro give permission to use the D&D/FR copyrights? Does it depend on what the property would be used for?
I've read that the director/producer of the Dungeons & Dragons films acquired the exclusive movie rights in 1990 from TSR, and noticed that despite the critical and commercial flops of the first two, he still seems to have the rights for making more. To whom or where should I look for information on how those rights are assigned, and permission to use it similarly?

Finally, well, I can at least Google exactly what is considered D&D copyright and not general fantasy, so that's one less question than I intended.

Thank you. :)
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 20 Jul 2011 : 17:46:14
Recommended for aspiring writers:

Writers Digest University Webinars presents: "How to Sell Your Fantasy &
Science Fiction to Agents and Editors" by New York Times best-selling
author, editor, and creative consultant Philip Athans, Thursday, July 21,
2011 1:00 PM - 2:30 PM EDT.
http://www.writersdigestshop.com/product/sell-your-fantasy-science-fiction-w
ebinar/?r=phil
gomez Posted - 19 Apr 2011 : 07:23:20
One of those few covers that actually depicts a recognizable scene from the book.
Slightly off though as I believe Cephas is bald, I don't think he has spiky hair.

Gomez
Dennis Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 02:44:36
Um, I was referring to Chris's novel. Which I checked---and yes, that's the title. Awesome cover, too.
Sandstorm Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 02:26:02
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:
Originally posted by Sandstorm

but youre right. . . any attempt at that might hinder a work for people would assume it to be dungeons and dragosn related. not that thats wholly a bad thing.

You have an awesome screen name!

Your novel's title, I believe.

no actually. character's last name from the first book I ever wrote.
Dennis Posted - 21 Jan 2011 : 02:04:49
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

quote:

but youre right. . . any attempt at that might hinder a work for people would assume it to be dungeons and dragosn related. not that thats wholly a bad thing.

Your novel's title, I believe.
Sandstorm Posted - 20 Jan 2011 : 18:31:14
Haha! Thanks!! Its very sentimental to me, so thats nice to hear :)
Christopher_Rowe Posted - 20 Jan 2011 : 16:18:37
quote:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000