Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most powerful forgotten realms wizards...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ecap Posted - 24 Apr 2008 : 03:33:13
My thoughts based on the books Ive read...

Elminster - I think everyone agrees that this guy is pretty much the alpha wizard of the forgotten realms. I don't feel like I need to go into why... he always comes out on top.

The Simbul - She seems pretty powerful, although it sort of made my skin crawl when she had to save elminster in 'elminster in hell'. I think she is so powerful because she spends so much of her time defeating aggressive Thayan usurpers. I also like her character, she seems kind of psycho.

Halaster Blackcloak - people say he is really powerful, but I'm not sure why. I haven't really found any books where he is more then just a reference. Apparently he has a domain, 'undermountain'? I'm not to sure of the backround of this character, and I would appreciate it if someone could fill me in.

Szass Tam - This wizard is just so delightfully evil. Even though he is part of a council of 12 (until recently) he always seems to be the most intimidating. I wonder why he has never gone head to head with the simbul, and who would come out on top?!

Manshoon - This guy has survived multiple attempts on his life by elminster and the knights of myth drannor. I think that speaks for itself. Yeah he's been killed - but what does that matter if you have couple dozen 'clone contingency' spells waiting around for just that circumstance? :)

Gromph - the archmage of the underdark. I don't know to much about him, but for a male to progress as much as he has in the matriarchal, backwards culture of menzoberranzan he has to be quite the monster.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also, as a corollary question - has Bane been ressurected? I thought he was destroyed in the time of troubles. In Finders bane, they tried to ressurect him but failed. I noticed in some books I recently read *unholy and undead* that bane priests were active and banes avatar even made an appearance. Is it possible these books predated the time of troubles? I'd apprecate an answer to this...

Thanks!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zealot Posted - 18 Feb 2013 : 20:12:42
Can't we all just agree not to mess with his undeadness and continue on? One of the earlier posters put in about how he summoned him.... I would allow it in my game can you imagine you being so powerful that it is almost amusing to be summoned. I would show up just to make the little guy pee his pants.

Also pesonally I am an above average combatant, that doesn't mean I'm going to go up and try to kick George St Pierre in the crotch. I know the poster had a wizard character but why try to measure him against someone so powerful. He doesn't want to be a god cause he chose not to.

One of the biggest pet peeves I have in gaming is also asking for stat blocks. Sometimes things are beyond stats. Mr Greenwood himself said don't go there.....good enough for me. I personally like having a big baddy that you don't directly confront. He has his on thing going on so let him play in his sand
Dennis Posted - 16 Feb 2013 : 14:53:07

Larloch's appearance in Tears So White is underwhelming.
Nicolai Withander Posted - 30 Jan 2013 : 19:29:11
Yes very interesting!
The Arcanamach Posted - 30 Jan 2013 : 06:29:55
Man I just love Ed.
The Masked Mage Posted - 28 Jan 2013 : 22:55:39
The Masked Mage of course! HAHAHAHAHAHA! Puny magelings...
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Jul 2008 : 15:25:30
It is always a cool feeling to get the answer straight from the author!
Especially via the lips of the lovely Hooded One!!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jul 2008 : 14:37:48
I was right about him fearing what it would do to his many magics, though.
Firestorm Posted - 12 Jul 2008 : 14:04:43
Ed has answered. Seems Larloch was not truly afraid for his existence:)

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hello again, all. This time I set before interested scribes a Realmslore reply from Ed to scribe Firestorm, addressing this query: “. . . Currently, we are discussing powerful Spellcasters. Larloch, etc, and the story Tears So White came up.
Larloch acts visibly afraid of Storm when she advances with Silverfire, and I personally maintain that this was a placating act on his part to show he meant no harm, etc.
My reasoning being, Even if she smoked him with Silverfire, he would simply return to his Phylactery safely within whatever crazy pocket Dimension he hid it in and he truly had nothing to fear permanently.”

[[THO: scribes’ converse from a thread here at the Keep was then included, but I have snipped it here for brevity’s sake]]

“Lol. So I guess in the end, What i am asking is: Could Storm have obliterated his Soul on the spot, despite usual lich Soul returning to Phylactery stuff (Or to another lich of his), Contingency spells teleporting him away, etc? Did he have genuine reason to immediately fear for his existence other than making powerful enemies of several Chosen who could together pose a greater threat??
Sorry about the long add ons and Quotes. Its just a weird question. It bothered me that Larloch the Ultra Lich would show fear to Storm, who a Manshoon clone could handle if she didn’t have Elminster’s help (Spellfire book 2 seems to indicate that Storm thinks she would not match up well vs. Manshoon without El's help).”

Ed replies:

You have divined matters correctly, Firestorm. Larloch is trying to seem seem unthreatening, and so retreats a few steps, but he also DOESN’T want to get struck by the silver fire, not out of fear, but because it would burn away many layers of his interwoven magics, causing a “snowballing” deterioration of his lichnee condition AND forcing him to spend much time and trouble fighting this, and restoring all of his magics (if certain magics are destroyed, he would lose control over some of the liches who serve him, and they would certainly try to seize this opportunity [Larloch weakened? Our best chance!] to try to destroy him. I’m not saying they would necessarily succeed, I’m saying Larloch can foresee these problems and would prefer to avoid them. To do otherwise would be wasteful, and would also let others witness and remember (or hear of, from witnesses) this vulnerability and so perhaps foster future attacks on him.

The Sisters also know from experience and Mystra’s teachings something that Larloch hasn’t thought of, and the Princes of Shade never faced.
The silver fire is the raw energy of the Weave (and thus, effectively limitless; it’s the channeled vitality of the WORLD), and by its nature tends to sear both existing spell effects and living things - - and whereas spells can block and foil the silver fire of one source, and a mythal or powerful ward can be crafted so as to “drink” (absorb) silver fire and therefore be strengthened by it rather than destroyed by it, no known magic can withstand the concentrated strikes of six or more sources of silver fire (six or more Chosen and/or avatars of deities of magic who know how to derive and wield silver fire, such as Mystra and Azuth).

Larloch can never “have” silver fire to wield unless he submits to Mystra, abandoning his lichdom and becoming one of her servitor creatures, alive in a vastly lesser body and subject to her authority. He doesn’t know if she would accept him or destroy him, if he asked; all he knows is that she suffers him to continue to exist as he is now, a kingpin among liches, commanding many lichnee. Thus, as it’s a form of magical energy he can’t have and daren’t (as a lich) have overmuch contact with, he’s fascinated by it and hungers to have it (“human nature,” if you will). He approached Storm’s silver fire almost reverently, wanting to see it at very close quarters, yearning to have it - - and yet controlling himself iron-hard, to keep himself from touching it.

Yes, that was “the” (true) Larloch, by the way, not the lich lord inhabiting (controlling and speaking through) the body of another lich from afar (though he can and often does do this).

By the way, in response to “Nobody is going to try to go into the Warlock’s Crypt fighting 60 high level liches” (et cetera), that’s not Larloch’s fear. He fears revolt from within, if he is weakened or incapacitated; his own dominated undead, who so intimately know his powers, where his magic lies, and their ways around his domain, turning upon him.

As for silver fire destroying souls: I don’t know. Certainly no mortal has witnessed this happening (or if they have, understood what they were seeing correctly). Mystra and Azuth would of course know; her Chosen obviously do not.

In this case, with all of Larloch’s contingencies and his phylactery being elsewhere (though there are some special forms of undead that result when liches are magically prevented from contact with their phylacteries, when their lich bodies are destroyed; sorry, NDA on these) I doubt Storm could have destroyed Larloch’s soul on the spot, no. Nor do I think she would ever think she could. Liches are creatures of magic, and Mystra frowns on destroying them without good reason . . . and Larloch was NOT attacking her.

Whew. So saith Ed, master of all things lichnee from way back. Hmmm, “Expert on Lichdom” doesn’t appear that often on resumés, does it?
love to all,
THO

Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 12 Jul 2008 : 01:00:14
Even if he is harmed by Silver Fire, Larloch:

- ...has a humongous amount of hit points, by virtue of 40HD;
- ...has or can have a huge touch AC (and one must succeed a ranged touch attack to hit him);
- ...can cast Superior Invisibility, which renders him undetectable by any means except True Seeing;
- ...can probably deal or deny True Seeing in others, either via dispelling and/or casting an "anti-true seeing" spell of his own making;
- ...is probably immune to fire, and I believe Silver Fire is half fire damage, half raw magic damage (akin to a Flamestrike)
- ...can probably avoid that fight altogether and avoid getting "fried" in the first place...
Firestorm Posted - 12 Jul 2008 : 00:49:52
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's also possible that Larloch has done so many different things to himself that he would be vulnerable to silver fire -- either by having progressed beyond having a phylactery, or by having a matrix of spells on himself that would be disastrously undone by silver fire.

In either case, I asked the Chamber in the vault of sages, so Ed can enlighten us:)

Since Larloch is supposed to be the ultimate Lich and top 5 most powerful beings on Toril, I hate to think of him being undone with something as simple as a shot of silverfire. That would toss him below any of the chosen in a straight up fight and that is just not right:P
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Jul 2008 : 21:34:34
It's also possible that Larloch has done so many different things to himself that he would be vulnerable to silver fire -- either by having progressed beyond having a phylactery, or by having a matrix of spells on himself that would be disastrously undone by silver fire.
althen artren Posted - 11 Jul 2008 : 02:34:55
Spells stilled, scribes:

Remember, Mystra and Azuth has come to some kind of agreement with
with him. So it is possible that Mystra might not allow the silver
fire to hit him? Also, going back to everbody thinking he is dangerous
think about how many possible contingencies he could have on his
body if he was destroyed, we talking nuclear holocost with fallout
here. Shadowdale gone in a flash, big smokin hole. In addition, if anybody survived, wouldn't he maybe want to get some vengence?
Just a thought.
The Red Walker Posted - 11 Jul 2008 : 00:26:59
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

quote:
Well, weird then. Its been proven that extremely powerful Archwizards like Telamont Tanthul could spell shield Silverfire(Return of the Archwizards book 3. Tanthul spell shields a silverfire blast from Khelben Blackstaff)

Seems off that the sisters would overlook that Larloch is powerful enough to shield from Silverfire, or that a Lich cannot be destroyed short of taking out his phylactery. He really was in no true Danger, yet all parties seemed to act as if it was otherwise.

I'm not going to get into the Shades, don't know much about them and care less.

But, as for Silverfire destroying Larloch, I don't find it implausible that Silverfire would devour his soul, along with his body. Doesn't mean that it would happen, just saying it's not impossible. Silverfire is the essence of the Weave and is quite versatile in it's uses.

I have read almost every single DnD sourcebook and never have I seen anything that even implies Silverfire has the power to obliterate souls. Its section indicates that it delivers tremendous damage to any being struck by it, and details all of its other powers.

In his profile in Lords of Darkness, it states that Larloch has silver vulnerability and takes double damage from Silverfire and the like, but nowhere does it state that it can obliterate souls. Among other things, he has a quickened teleport and time stop contingency cast upon himself which would instantly move him to his sanctuary if he was harmed badly enough.

We can Ask Ed greenwood I guess. Where is this section you speak of walker?

You can find it here : Ask Ed

ed:Sp
Firestorm Posted - 10 Jul 2008 : 21:35:35
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

quote:
Well, weird then. Its been proven that extremely powerful Archwizards like Telamont Tanthul could spell shield Silverfire(Return of the Archwizards book 3. Tanthul spell shields a silverfire blast from Khelben Blackstaff)

Seems off that the sisters would overlook that Larloch is powerful enough to shield from Silverfire, or that a Lich cannot be destroyed short of taking out his phylactery. He really was in no true Danger, yet all parties seemed to act as if it was otherwise.

But, as for Silverfire destroying Larloch, I don't find it implausible that Silverfire would devour his soul, along with his body. Doesn't mean that it would happen, just saying it's not impossible. Silverfire is the essence of the Weave and is quite versatile in it's uses.

I have read almost every single DnD sourcebook and never have I seen anything that even implies Silverfire has the power to obliterate souls. Its section indicates that it delivers tremendous damage to any being struck by it, and details all of its other powers.

In his profile in Lords of Darkness, it states that Larloch has silver vulnerability and takes double damage from Silverfire and the like, but nowhere does it state that it can obliterate souls. Among other things, he has a quickened teleport and time stop contingency cast upon himself which would instantly move him to his sanctuary if he was harmed badly enough.

We can Ask Ed greenwood I guess. Where is this section you speak of walker?
ShadezofDis Posted - 10 Jul 2008 : 20:58:25
quote:

The Red Walker Posted - 10 Jul 2008 : 18:41:33
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Ill assume this story was set before Blackstaff and 4 of the Sisters fought Telamont Tanthul in the city of Shade and learned that Lord Shadow was capable of raising a spell shield powerful enough to block silverfire.

The story was set in the summer (I believe) of 1374 DR. That's definitely after the Shade debacle, but a few months before Blackstaff.

'twouls be an excellent query for Ed's scroll in the Chamber of Sages!
Firestorm Posted - 10 Jul 2008 : 18:18:34
quote:

quote:

Ill assume this story was set before Blackstaff and 4 of the Sisters fought Telamont Tanthul in the city of Shade and learned that Lord Shadow was capable of raising a spell shield powerful enough to block silverfire.

The story was set in the summer (I believe) of 1374 DR. That's definitely after the Shade debacle, but a few months before Blackstaff.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 10 Jul 2008 : 18:05:06
quote:

Firestorm Posted - 10 Jul 2008 : 03:29:52
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

After reading "Tears so white", it seems that the Sisters think Larloch has no protection against Silver fire and that Silver fire would be the end all of any fight with Larloch?

They assume nobody, not even Larloch, could make any sort of Barrier against Silver fire because it is unblockable, and that it would destroy him if it touched him.

In any case, Larloch literally walked right up to Storm as she was channelling silverfire in her hand and stuck his face close enough to sniff it. Hardly the actions of a man afraid of the stuff, despite what they think.

I also don't understand why they think it would destroy him. Nothing short of taking out his Phylactery can destroy him, and Larloch has aranged matters so that his spirit takes over one of his dominated liches instead of going back to his phylactery for a day anyways.

I think you need to re-read the last three pages or so. As Storm steps towards him with the silver fire he steps back not once, but twice before finally holding his ground. Only after it becomes apparent Storm is not threatening him with does lean forward to lust after the thing he cannot have. That is part of what makes him so dangerous, he is Ultra-Powerful , but not too arrogant to realize his weakness.

Oh I don't deny he probably would not want his form destroyed and that is why he was backing off(Losing his items such as his 25 Ioun stones), but the fact is, he cannot be truly killed unless they destroy his phylactery, and if destroyed he would simply be soul transported into one of his bound liches instead of his phylactery, fully capable of instantly fighting again. He was in no immediate true danger of being wiped out.

Nobody is going to try to go into the Warlock's keep fighting 60 high level liches and 3 Demi liches + the Ultra lich himself to get his Phylactery. Not unless they are suicidal.

How much of his "fear" was simple posturing to declare he was no enemy? Looking at it logically, he really was in no immediate true danger. If that even was the true Larloch. Remember Ed Greenwood himself also said if he was ever to have a situation where Larloch was to interact and fight, and possibly lose, the character would find they only destroyed one of his controlled puppet liches.

The Red Walker Posted - 10 Jul 2008 : 00:57:00
quote:

After reading "Tears so white", it seems that the Sisters think Larloch has no protection against Silver fire and that Silver fire would be the end all of any fight with Larloch?

They assume nobody, not even Larloch, could make any sort of Barrier against Silver fire because it is unblockable, and that it would destroy him if it touched him.

In any case, Larloch literally walked right up to Storm as she was channelling silverfire in her hand and stuck his face close enough to sniff it. Hardly the actions of a man afraid of the stuff, despite what they think.

I also don't understand why they think it would destroy him. Nothing short of taking out his Phylactery can destroy him, and Larloch has aranged matters so that his spirit takes over one of his dominated liches instead of going back to his phylactery for a day anyways.

I think you need to re-read the last three pages or so. As Storm steps towards him with the silver fire he steps back not once, but twice before finally holding his ground. Only after it becomes apparent Storm is not threatening him with does lean forward to lust after the thing he cannot have. That is part of what makes him so dangerous, he is Ultra-Powerful , but not too arrogant to realize his weakness.
Firestorm Posted - 09 Jul 2008 : 22:52:49

Firestorm Posted - 30 Jun 2008 : 06:34:36
Thank you for the tidbits.

Also, to add to this discussion. A few people Mentioned Simbul awhile back. She is most definitely behind Elminster and they literally had the discussion in the book "Spellfire". Elminster politely states that simbul wouldn't have a chance in a straight up fight, and she sucks it up and admits she already knows Elminster would wreck her(Then she and El make Whoopie)
Theophilus Posted - 27 Jun 2008 : 02:56:20
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Sailusj

So Waukeen was foolish enough to "shed" her divinity just to get out ot the realms and try to get home? didnt she think Ao was powerful and wise enough to expect sumthing of that nature and knew how to prevent it? Or at least she should have known since HE took their power only he could give it back? Sounds kinda fishy to me.

Like I said, the deities were desparate and humiliated. It's like taking a favored toy away from a spoiled child: even if the end result will surely be more trouble for the child, they are still going to try to get the toy back.

A bit late to this one but I also thought that the reduction from a relatively omniscient state to the limited capacity of the mortal avatar caused their bewilderment and/or confusion and irrationality - Bane is a good example (badly conceived plans) and I think Torm (?) (whose followers were concealing things from him).
Lord Karsus Posted - 27 Jun 2008 : 02:12:44
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Or Amazon.ca seeing as he is in Canada.

-Same thing.
Ladejarl Posted - 26 Jun 2008 : 20:53:56
Larloch appears in person outside Storms cottage. He apologises. You will have to read the story to learn why. Storm produces a tear of silverfire and causes it to rest in palm of her hand. She shows it to him. He bends forward, his nosebone allmost toutching it, and looks at it. He tells Storm that he knows his peril, and thanks her for showing him kindness. He leaves.
The Sage Posted - 26 Jun 2008 : 14:39:32
In that case, I will allow another scribe to provide you with the details. Much like Rinonalyrna mentioned earlier, I also haven't read that particular story in a long while. And I'd rather not provide you with sketchy plots details from what I can vaguely remember about Larloch's experiences.
Firestorm Posted - 26 Jun 2008 : 12:43:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

Larloch has been mentioned in a novel or short story?

Yes, in the story I just mentioned.

quote:
Can you elaborate on specifics?

With all due respect, I'd rather not try to do that, if only because it's been a while since I read that story (and Realms of the Elves should still be easy to obtain). However, the part that sticks out in my mind is how badly Larloch would like a "taste" of Silverfire. If he were a Chosen of Mystra, I doubt he would have that problem.

Bah. No book store around here has realms of the elves, and the Chapters says its not on their ordering lists:(

Can anyone give me a breakdown on what happened regarding Larloch?

I think it would be best for you to just purchase the book itself. Aside from the particular tale being discussed here, there are others included in the book that are well worth the read as well.

I still would like to know....right now, what happened with Larloch in a story
The Sage Posted - 26 Jun 2008 : 01:26:08
quote:

quote:

quote:

Larloch has been mentioned in a novel or short story?

Yes, in the story I just mentioned.

quote:
Can you elaborate on specifics?

With all due respect, I'd rather not try to do that, if only because it's been a while since I read that story (and Realms of the Elves should still be easy to obtain). However, the part that sticks out in my mind is how badly Larloch would like a "taste" of Silverfire. If he were a Chosen of Mystra, I doubt he would have that problem.

Bah. No book store around here has realms of the elves, and the Chapters says its not on their ordering lists:(

I think it would be best for you to just purchase the book itself. Aside from the particular tale being discussed here, there are others included in the book that are well worth the read as well.
Hawkins Posted - 25 Jun 2008 : 23:57:45
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-Amazon.com is your friend.
Or Amazon.ca seeing as he is in Canada.
Lord Karsus Posted - 25 Jun 2008 : 22:57:35
quote:

-Amazon.com is your friend.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000