Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best "Middle" Novel

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
ericlboyd Posted - 18 Nov 2004 : 17:47:21
Trilogies are a mainstay of fantasy and science fiction publishing, but the "middle book" is usually the weakest of the three.

What Forgotten Realms trilogy has the best "middle book" in the series? Comment on what you think makes a standout "middle book".

--Eric
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 26 May 2008 : 05:42:42
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Glick

And just to knit-pick, Faces of Deception was a stand alone, although it certainly did suck.

That's one of those odd cases where people either love the novel or hate it -- there doesn't seem to be a middle ground on it.

I personally disliked it.

While I didn't quite enjoy the actual plot of the novel as such, I did like the brief bits of "Utter East" info that was part of the story itself.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 26 May 2008 : 05:04:12
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Glick

And just to knit-pick, Faces of Deception was a stand alone, although it certainly did suck.

That's one of those odd cases where people either love the novel or hate it -- there doesn't seem to be a middle ground on it.

I personally disliked it.
Danny Glick Posted - 26 May 2008 : 03:54:59
Holy heck, Quale, that's in depth. I was torn between Exile and Wyvern's Spur. Then I read the above post and remembered how great Dangerous Games was. Voted for Wyv Sp. And just to knit-pick, Faces of Deception was a stand alone, although it certainly did suck.
Quale Posted - 20 May 2008 : 11:14:52
in this order probably

The Wyvern's Spur
The Coral Kingdom
The Floodgate
Dragonwall
Giant Among Us
Black Wizards
Shadowstorm
Dawn of Night
Dangerous Games
Under Fallen Stars
Beyond the High Road
Tantras
Faces of Deception
Streams of Silver
Exile
Viperhand
Crown of Fire
J D Dunsany Posted - 16 May 2008 : 13:38:06
Of the ones I've read, I would actually have to go for Black Wizards, which expands what is laid out in Darkwalker... - both geographically and in the sense of character development.
Baldwin Stonewood Posted - 22 Apr 2008 : 16:22:32
I tend to agree with DragonReader's suggestion: Dawn of Night by Paul Kemp.
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 21 Apr 2008 : 20:04:01
Gee, thatīs a tough one, as always when "favourite novels" of any kind are concerned...from the choices given I picked "The Wyvernīs Spur", which added a completely different point of view to the trilogy and was a key requisite for a possible redemption for Finder in the final tome. Apart from it being a heck of a novel in itself, featuring the awesome Giogi and Cat (and the heartbreaking series of Daisyeyes), it really strayed strongly from the content and plot of the first part, but filled in many things to provide a complete picture. (Plus...cīmon, itīs to do with Finder...Iīm biased.)

If it hadnīt been on the list, my vote would have probably gone to "Under Fallen Stars" as it just added tremendous story-depth to a plainly awesome trilogy, closely followed by "Beyond the High Road" for much the same reason, and "Dragonwall", because that one provided a most interesting glimpse into realms beyond the "Realms" and had an extremely logical and consequent build-up, as well as featuring that "different point of view", this time how the Shou viewed Yamun.

As to what makes a great "middle" book...depends on the trilogyīs style of course, but for me personally, I want the plot to get deeper (answering some questions, but adding a lot more...more information on backgrounds and what makes characters tick, etc.)and the story to be true and logical in regards to following up on the first part. The "middle" book is there to set most of the pieces into place already for a furious finale. If there were sub-plots introduced in the first novel, do NOT forget about them, just to spring them at the reader before the end, but evolve them constantly. If it is possible to introduce new elements to the story in a sensible manner (be it new characters or a different pont of view), thatīs fantastic, but if it isnīt sensible, itīs critical miss and can kill a whole trilogy. Futhermore, the midle book should never just be "there", to simply cover the events between the beginning and the end,it has to feature key elements of the plot, too.
DragonReader Posted - 18 Apr 2008 : 17:23:22
Can I vote for a book not in the poll. For me it is Dawn of Night by Paul Kemp. This book not only kept the action and story line moving forward but the ending was one of the best I have read...
GRYPHON Posted - 18 Apr 2008 : 16:07:16
From the choices offered...The Wyvern's Spur...
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 17 Apr 2008 : 11:30:28
I just finished reading Exile (for second time) in the Legend of drizzt series so i voted for this one...
darkcrow Posted - 17 Apr 2008 : 04:26:22
Streams of Silver is my favorite Drizzt book and my wife got me that book signed for my birthday.
monknwildcat Posted - 16 Apr 2008 : 23:59:10
Long-time lurker, second-time poster.

It'd have to be The Wyvern's Spur for me, too. Finder annoyed me, so he hamstrung the bookends of the trilogy; the middle book wasn't so handicapped.

[That aside, I've only laughed as hard consistently at books penned by Cunningham and the Cormyr series (which had the Wyvernspurs, now that I think about it), and that laughter in The Wyvern's Spur sold me on the Realms as complex, evolved but enjoyable setting worth investment.]

I have a large extended family, all local, and I related to the dynamics of the Wyvernspurs. It was a very human alternative to the Realms-shaking 1st and 3rd. A nice switch-up.
Hawkins Posted - 05 Nov 2007 : 18:04:24
I voted for Beyond the High Road, by Troy Denning, because I lost sleep because I could not put this book down and finished in one night (opposed to the normal length of 2-3 days for a novel of this length). Though I really enjoyed Siege of Darkness (it looks like only middle books from trilogies got included).
Zaknafein Posted - 26 Jan 2007 : 04:34:33
Exile was indeed a good book because it introduced everyone to the uniqueness of the Underdark. Drizzt's personal struggles were somewhat interesting but the encounters with Illithids and other creatures made this novel a stepping stone for other authors to write about the Underdark.

i.e. War with the Spider Queen
koz Posted - 23 Jan 2007 : 09:04:26
this was a very tough decision. There were so many novels that I enjoyed on the list. I enjoyed Black Wizards very much and felt like it did a good job of advancing the plotline. Exile was excellent. Almost a continuation from Homeland and a great lead into Sojourn. Streams of Silver is very sentimental to me since it was the novel that reintroduced me to the realms. Good story and continuation of the main plot. I really enjoyed Tantras. I think I read The Avatar series right after Icewind Dale. it was a little hard to get into at first since I was fairly new to the realms but I thought Tantras was the best book of the original trilogy. Here's where it get's really tough for me. I really enjoyed The Threat From the Sea a lot. I love how Mr. Odom describes the aquatic life and seafaring. This is one of my favorite series and made me a fan of Mr. Odom. My vote goes to another of my favorite series though. The Finder's Stone Trilogy really hooked me. Great storytelling and characters. I wish Mr. Grubb and Ms. Novak would grace us with there presence again. The Wyvern's Spur had it all. The continuation of the overall series plot while adding new wrinkles as well, humor, memorable characters, action, adventure..... I could go on and on. It is also the only novel that I have finished in under a day. Well under a day. It's that good. If you haven't read this series, I highly reccommend it.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 09 Jul 2005 : 00:02:35
I voted for Exile because I thought it overall was a good book. From the disenchanted Belwar to the craziness of Klacker. I thought the book showed a man (elf in this casE) and what he had to do to not only survive the hardshest environ known to Faerunians, but to survive a depression of his very soul. To retreat so far and still come back because of finding true meaning. It's a great story. I loved it!

Though to be honest... it wasn't in the poll, but I loved the Farthest Reach the most. IT was neat to see all of the powers of the Moonsea and Dalelands compete with a new power that was far beyond what they were ready for. Plus, the Return was the first book in a long time not to completely trounce the Elves of the realms. It seems that there has been too much of that as of late!

C-Fb
Lord Rad Posted - 08 Jul 2005 : 09:16:15
I agree with KnightErrant. Dawn of Night was stunning! I never thought it could come close to Twilight Falling but it really blew me away and didn't have that typical "middle novel" feel to it at all.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 08 Jul 2005 : 05:42:29
The middle Erevis Cale book really hooked me, even more so than the first book, and Farthest Reach also struck me as much better than the first book (not that it wasn't good).
ode904 Posted - 06 Jul 2005 : 22:53:19
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I've never really liked Vangey, myself (or Vandy, as SB calls him ). I don't know why, but his character has never really grabbed me.

Vandy wasn't a big fave of mine either. But, I really liked how he was portrayed in the last novel. Perhaps it was the company he kept and his final path in service to Cormyr.

I agree with you. Heh Vandy.. He's sometimes a little boring in my opinion.
ode904 Posted - 06 Jul 2005 : 22:48:55
I join the leading force and answer Exile.
It's just hmm..combatible(sorry my english) with other serie. I agree with you Eric the 'middle book' is usually the weakest.
SiriusBlack Posted - 30 May 2005 : 16:26:46
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

For me, it'd definitly have to be Beyond the High Road. In the Cormyr Saga, BtHR is where the story REALLY starts. Cormyr felt more like the stereotypical "middle" novel to me. It was just too slow. You definitly needed the present-tense story of the book but it seemed to drag on. I'd constantly find myself wishing a chapter was done so I could get back to the exciting history lesson.

I also enjoyed the past sections of the novel more than the present day plot. I'm glad the upcoming Waterdeep novel did not follow this format.
Neo2151 Posted - 29 May 2005 : 05:00:08
For me, it'd definitly have to be Beyond the High Road. In the Cormyr Saga, BtHR is where the story REALLY starts. Cormyr felt more like the stereotypical "middle" novel to me. It was just too slow. You definitly needed the present-tense story of the book but it seemed to drag on. I'd constantly find myself wishing a chapter was done so I could get back to the exciting history lesson.
Brian R. James Posted - 14 May 2005 : 00:44:56
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The novel felt like an "aside," rather the "middle" if that makes sense.
While I absolutely loved The Wyvern's Spur, I couldn't vote for it for the reason above. This novel, though officially part of the Finders Stone trilogy, is pretty much a stand alone novel.

I voted for Tantras. It's the only realms novel I have ever read in a single sitting. At the time, the ending was shocking.
Iliphar1 Posted - 13 May 2005 : 19:13:27
I chose Beyond the High Road,

it was one of these books that made me stay in bed the whole night, just reading one more page... just one more...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Feb 2005 : 22:50:57
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

I think the reason "The Wyvern's Spur" was so successful as a middle novel is that it dodged the "resolve a substory, but not the overall story" charge in a clever way. The novel felt like an "aside," rather the "middle" if that makes sense. Another way to put it might be as follows: If you didn't read "The Wyvern's Spur", you could just read Book 1 and Book 3 and, with one sentence of explanation ("Giogi went home and had a little adventure with Olive and a duplicate of Alias named Cat.") not realize you'd missed anything. Likewise, if you just read "The Wyvern's Spur", you didn't realize there was a Book 1 and a Book 3. In comparison, "Song of the Saurials" seemed a lot weaker to me, and I think that's because it felt you HAD to have read "Azure Bonds" to have it make sense.

--Eric

I've always liked the fact that The Wyvern's Spur can be read by itself... By itself, it's one of my fave Realms novels.

You're prolly right about why it succeeded.
ericlboyd Posted - 28 Feb 2005 : 15:55:42
I think the reason "The Wyvern's Spur" was so successful as a middle novel is that it dodged the "resolve a substory, but not the overall story" charge in a clever way. The novel felt like an "aside," rather the "middle" if that makes sense. Another way to put it might be as follows: If you didn't read "The Wyvern's Spur", you could just read Book 1 and Book 3 and, with one sentence of explanation ("Giogi went home and had a little adventure with Olive and a duplicate of Alias named Cat.") not realize you'd missed anything. Likewise, if you just read "The Wyvern's Spur", you didn't realize there was a Book 1 and a Book 3. In comparison, "Song of the Saurials" seemed a lot weaker to me, and I think that's because it felt you HAD to have read "Azure Bonds" to have it make sense.

--Eric
Alaundo Posted - 28 Feb 2005 : 10:08:42
quote:
Originally posted by Decomp

My choice, although not on this list would be from my favorite trilogy "The Crimson Shadow"! "Luthiens Gamble", a fantastic novel filled with rich atmosphere and one of my favorite characters of all time...Oliver de burrows! I have recently lost the trilogy and am currently in the process of finding it again!

But from the list....Wyvern's spur by far!

Well met

Remember, Decomp, this is a place of the FORGOTTEN REALMS, this Crimson Shadow tome of which ye speak, has no place on these shelves
Decomp Posted - 28 Feb 2005 : 02:38:23
My choice, although not on this list would be from my favorite trilogy "The Crimson Shadow"! "Luthiens Gamble", a fantastic novel filled with rich atmosphere and one of my favorite characters of all time...Oliver de burrows! I have recently lost the trilogy and am currently in the process of finding it again!

But from the list....Wyvern's spur by far!
Zelg of Cyric Posted - 18 Jan 2005 : 09:03:54
TANGELED WEBS!! NO QUESTION IN MY MIND
Blueblade Posted - 22 Dec 2004 : 19:32:09
I voted for CROWN OF FIRE for just that reason. It might not be anywhere near the best fantasy novel I've ever read, but more than any of the others on this poll, I thought it told a story "by itself." YMMV, of course.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000