Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Draconic surge

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Trafaldi Posted - 16 Oct 2003 : 21:57:01
Who thinks that there should be time were the dragon population suddenly has a surge.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SiriusBlack Posted - 06 Apr 2004 : 02:42:03
quote:
Originally posted by Sourcemaster2

I wonder if there is some outside influence provoking the rages. It would be strange if such chaos was caused by some draconic deity, or an anti-draconic god, who's out to destroy dragonkind.

Pick up a copy of Richard Lee Byer's The Rage. The novel's conclusion provides some insight as to what might cause the rages.
Sourcemaster2 Posted - 05 Apr 2004 : 23:40:20
I wonder if there is some outside influence provoking the rages. It would be strange if such chaos was caused by some draconic deity, or an anti-draconic god, who's out to destroy dragonkind.
Arivia Posted - 02 Apr 2004 : 23:49:42
If you've got a copy, there's a rage in Evermeet: Island of Elves.
Tyros Posted - 02 Apr 2004 : 22:25:59
Hail!

The only reference to a rage of dragons tha tI have come across involved an internal conflict withn the CotD in the year 1018 DR which destroyed a place called Peleveran.

Then of course there was the flight of dragons in 1356 DR.

The difference between a "rage" of dragons and a "flight" is supposed to be size; a rage of dragons is supposed to be bigger. Of course, the only "rage" that I have found reference to was brought instigated by the Cult of the Dragon. If a "flight" is a biological instinct, then this might be another difference between a rage and a flight. Or perhaps the claims of the CotD are true and they were responsibile for the flight of 1356 as well?

Are there any mention of flights or rages prior to the birth of the CotD, but well after the age of dragons?

And what of the prophecy that the CotD was built upon? Either version.

The Sage Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 09:10:00
There's really not a lot of source material on the Rage to work with, however it seems to be a (sort-of) random biological/instinctual urging that effects all of Dragonkind at different periods throughout history. I'll dig through some of the tomes I have in search of more information.
Sourcemaster2 Posted - 07 Feb 2004 : 03:53:08
Is there any discernable pattern to the surges? If not, can anyone give me the dates of the known ones?
Bookwyrm Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 17:32:03
I think we can safely say it isn't that, Cyric.
Cyric Posted - 06 Feb 2004 : 13:38:24
what events killing a whole lot of people in the name of Cyric or claiming this keep in his name.
Or somthing els
The Sage Posted - 05 Feb 2004 : 09:46:19
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Hmm. Perhaps I'd better plan on taking an extended vacation during this event.

Not too long though, because I have several 'events' planned which may interest you...
Shadowlord Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 06:34:03
Quick! Get the Chains!!! STRONG DWARVEN FORGED! HURRY!!!
Bookwyrm Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 06:32:47
Hmm. Perhaps I'd better plan on taking an extended vacation during this event.
The Sage Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 05:18:47
Yes, that is correct Edain. IIRC, the 2e Grand Tour of the Realms (or one of those old 2e tomes) spoke a little about the Rage, describing it as a necessary biological drive that all Dragonkind must undergo.
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 04 Feb 2004 : 00:06:55
If my memory serves, all kinds of True Dragon participate, pretty much without regard for inter-racial hatred. I would imagine half-dragon might feel a calling to join in the Rage, but would not be compelled to the same extent as a True Dragon. A shapechanged spellcaster would probably not be forced to participate in the Rage, since i believe that shapechange leaves your mind more or less intact. The way it is described that Rage is a sort of instinctual drive to, well, kill and destroy.
Bookwyrm Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 20:43:23
Good question. Is it just true dragons, or all draconic types? And if a spellcaster would shapechange into a form that gave him/her the draconic type, would (s)he be subject to the Rage?
Sourcemaster2 Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 18:37:32
Do all kinds of dragons join in the Rage? I know that all chromatic dragons do, but what about metallic or gem dragons? Is it only true dragons, or are there also wyzerns and such?
The Sage Posted - 03 Feb 2004 : 13:38:45
Think nothing of it . As I've said many times before, we can never have enough talk about Realmslore...
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 23:26:28
I was trying to discuss the utter randomness of the whole thing and indicate how it drastically atlers the psycology of the dragons during the Rage, but I guess I was a bit vauge about it. Sorry.
The Sage Posted - 01 Feb 2004 : 03:00:18
Hmm...hadn't I already talked about 'the Rage' previously...?
Edain Shadowstar Posted - 31 Jan 2004 : 18:41:56
The Rage is one of the weirder events int he Realms. It happens every so often, and tends to be pretty much a rampage of senseless destruction. It seems every sleepeing worm in the Realms wakes up and goes out to kill stuff, and then, if they survive, they go home and back to sleep. No one can explain why it happens, it just seems to happen, kind of at random. If you read enough Realms history you will get random references to Rages, just sort of poping up. The dragons seem to even partially ignore their inter-racial hatred during the Rages. Its very cool.
Cyric Posted - 24 Jan 2004 : 17:23:03
But back to the rage that would mean that it has ben a Draconic surge, would it not since they wil son be marching or flying out of there lairs.
Ezindir the dark Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 21:46:53
Yes.. thats right.... And I did not have any part of it eiter.
::Screams too Alaundo, as he jumps up and down:" Come on, use the staff of the irritated moderator+5 on him"::
Shadowlord Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 20:55:17
Wow, never have I seen Alaundo with such a temper, not even when I raided his wine cellar, err, that is, I mean, that the other drow males raided his cellar, not me......
Alaundo Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 17:02:48
quote:
Originally posted by Cyric

That he is but about Draconic surge the rage is coming up and i bet that The fallen chosen is made a god then i hope so and that he kills one of the chosen.
And Cyric is chaotic deity thats true and he is proud of it to

Well met

CYRIC!! No more, say I....else feel my wrath!!

::rolls up the sleeves on his "Mr Nice Guy" robe::
Cyric Posted - 21 Jan 2004 : 12:03:00
That he is but about Draconic surge the rage is coming up and i bet that The fallen chosen is made a god then i hope so and that he kills one of the chosen.
And Cyric is chaotic deity thats true and he is proud of it to
Alaundo Posted - 15 Jan 2004 : 12:48:13
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If I may ask one question...What exactly does the subject of Cyric and his stability of mind have to do with the problems of a Draconic Surge in the Realms...?...

My fellow scribes, I implore you to try as hard as possible to stay within the current frame of topic discussed by each and every scroll. If you wish to discuss Cyric and his mind (or lack thereof ), please start a new scroll...

Thank you...

Well met

Youre quite right, Sage! Indeed, I will hear no more talk of Cyric other than on a designated scroll....and furthermore, only genuine questions and remarks regarding this....this....chaotic deity!
The Sage Posted - 15 Jan 2004 : 01:00:47
If I may ask one question...What exactly does the subject of Cyric and his stability of mind have to do with the problems of a Draconic Surge in the Realms...?...

My fellow scribes, I implore you to try as hard as possible to stay within the current frame of topic discussed by each and every scroll. If you wish to discuss Cyric and his mind (or lack thereof ), please start a new scroll...

Thank you...

Ezindir the dark Posted - 14 Jan 2004 : 20:21:33
Yeah so that what you think? Well I will guess that Shadowlord would have some coments in this topic as well, but just as you now it, while Cyric maybe have the strenght to take the elfes one by one, he do not have any chance to think out such a attack? This is becouse Cyric is friggin stupid and INSANE.
Cyric Posted - 14 Jan 2004 : 18:59:39
By the way he is not mad any more and he could take the elf gods one by one.
Ezindir the dark Posted - 13 Jan 2004 : 19:08:07
Glory? What glory are we talking about here? The god is friggin mad..
Cyric Posted - 13 Jan 2004 : 16:23:16
You better not Cyric is the one true Power and no one mess with him in all his glory

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000