Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dragonlance Movie

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Marquant Volker Posted - 20 Sep 2007 : 03:29:33
Greetings, i am not sure if posting this information on our site is ok but i stumbled upon that one and thought that i had to share it with you

A Dragonlance movie is in the making! more info in the following URL

http://www.dragonlance-movie.com/

I always suspected that Jack Bauer was Raistlin

I believe the lesson was learned from the previous crap movie and the even crapiest sequel, this one gonna be a better.

After that a Forgotten Realms Movie perhaps?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
riot the outsider Posted - 26 Mar 2008 : 04:29:07
I agree we you both.
Dalor Darden Posted - 22 Mar 2008 : 06:24:46
Aye Lady Kazandra...better the animations of the old Dungeons and Dragons TV cartoon than the mix of 2d and 3d...it made me cringe. My wife, so in love with Dragonlance she can hardly stop reading the novels...well, she fell asleep in total boredom just because of the animations making her close her eyes and just listen to the movie.

But, as you say, Lord of the Rings started with cartoon animations before the more recent trilogy.

We have hope yet...in years to come.
Lady Kazandra Posted - 22 Mar 2008 : 05:10:48
Ok, it's no secret that I'm a massive fan of Dragonlance. Have been for years and likely will be for years. Like many other fans, I'd hoped beyond hope that a Dragonlance movie would be made some day, and was thrilled when it first came to light that it would indeed be coming into existence.

Now being an uber-fan of the series, I probably had somewhat ridiculously high expectations. I also realise that you can't please everyone, and particularly old-school fans will always have gripes about various things in any product released, irrespective of the format. With all of this in mind, I sat down and watched the film from start to finish.

It followed the basic premise of the storyline in DoAT. That's one positive. Sure... seeing Elistan starting to get his freak on with Laurana at the end was disturbing... but yes, the film did follow the basic premise. It skipped lots of great stuff, but one could argue that like any adaptation this was necessary... and since when did Onyx in humanoid form have wings and look like a half-human/half-draconian... but I can forgive that. Keifer Sutherland was outstanding as the voice of Raistlin, he really hit that one home.

But the animation was atrocious. A sad combination of 3D and 2D did make the film extremely hard to watch, even for me. I appreciate that there was minimal budget, but I would've preferred an entirely 2d 80s He-man cartoon, instead of the blended 2D/3D stuff they created. I have the deepest amount of respect for Weis & Hickman, and am glad a film was made. If nothing else, I only hope that it will generate more interest in the setting, therefore bigger budgets so that a vastly improved film could be made. Hell, a live action film would be so much better, but the money and interest needs to be there.

So I'm sorry to say that the film was bordering on outright terrible, was hard to watch, and only hope that it can do something positive for the series in promoting Dragonlance and meaning a much better release can be done later down the track.
riot the outsider Posted - 19 Mar 2008 : 23:42:30
Yeah I know of how the market works but I was just saying it would be nice to have a movie come out that appeals towards just the fans I think we can argee there I'm sure. Also if someone found my post to out of line that was not my intenion.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 19:44:32
quote:
Originally posted by riot the outsider

Exlessed it wasn't way off the story like beowulf was gees, people who made that movie read the peom and stop making movies so that they might please everyone. Make it the way the fans would really want it. Who cares if it doesn't make as much money as you think it should, you lose more money when you make it to suit ever buyer or movie going fan.Cause real fans turn there backs on it.Sorry I got off topic. The rest of the series should be just as good as this if not better if they leared there lessonfrom this one.

I have to disagree with you. There's a lot more money to be made from appealing to the least common denominator, as opposed to the fans. And that's because there are orders of magnitude more people in the LCD category than there is in the fan category. Why try to appeal to 5 million (which is prolly a generous guesstimate) when you can shoot for 50 or 100 million?
riot the outsider Posted - 17 Mar 2008 : 17:21:56
Exlessed it wasn't way off the story like beowulf was gees, people who made that movie read the peom and stop making movies so that they might please everyone. Make it the way the fans would really want it. Who cares if it doesn't make as much money as you think it should, you lose more money when you make it to suit ever buyer or movie going fan.Cause real fans turn there backs on it.Sorry I got off topic. The rest of the series should be just as good as this if not better if they leared there lessonfrom this one.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Mar 2008 : 21:39:38
Well, saw the Dragonlance "movie" and I have to say I'm not at all impressed...I thought the Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon was better in its animation...and I won't even get into the butchery of the plot and elements that got me into Dragonlance.

Cheese...all I can say.

The only saving grace of this entire experience was that I only paid $1 to rent it from a Red Box.

EDIT: I will grant them that the computer animations were decent, but their broken mix of computer and cartoon did not mesh at all. They cut several of the more "inspiring" scenes from the book as well, and added others that were not needed...like the half-naked Onyx speaking with Verminaard...come on...totally NOT needed. One of the greatest scenes in the book was the wicker dragon...not even hinted at.

I could go on...but it really isn't worth the time.
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 15 Mar 2008 : 21:42:27
I Bought it ... I think the movie is good as overall but it should be better ... Now I'm going to order the Beowulf movie...
The Sage Posted - 10 Mar 2008 : 06:18:49
Yes, it's been released in the US [it's actual release date was January 15th].
Dalor Darden Posted - 10 Mar 2008 : 05:27:09
This movie is out?
riot the outsider Posted - 10 Mar 2008 : 02:21:13
I Would just like to say all flaws aside of this movie, I rather liked it.But just as the hobbit animated movie they shouldn't have deleted so much of the parts from the book.sham on them.lol
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Nov 2007 : 22:05:39
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Or have a translation of the message in English so we all can participate!

Not a bad idea at all.
Hawkins Posted - 22 Nov 2007 : 05:48:45
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

PDK... We realise that. I believe Wooly was justing alluding to the [usually] "accepted" practice on English-speaking message boards where all users converse in the same language -- namely English. You're welcome to speak to Akeri in your mother tongue, however I would suggest that a Personal Message between the two of you would be more appropriate.

Or have a translation of the message in English so we all can participate!
The Sage Posted - 22 Nov 2007 : 01:36:38
PDK... We realise that. I believe Wooly was justing alluding to the [usually] "accepted" practice on English-speaking message boards where all users converse in the same language -- namely English. You're welcome to speak to Akeri in your mother tongue, however I would suggest that a Personal Message between the two of you would be more appropriate.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 22 Nov 2007 : 01:13:20
I did not intend to sound rude. My apologies for using my mother tongue in an attempt to help a fellow French Canadian in finding a theatre showing Beowulf in 3D.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 23:56:46
Okay, talking in a language most of us don't know is kinda rude. Enough, please.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 22:43:14
Akeri: je l'ai trouvé à Montréal, en 3D!!!!!, au cinéma suivant:

Cinéma Banque Scotia Montréal (anciennement le Paramount Montréal)
Address
977 rue Ste. Catherine O.
Montréal
QC, H3B 4W3
514-866-0111
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 21 Nov 2007 : 22:40:11
quote:
Originally posted by Akeri Rualuavain

WOW !!!! I'm jalouse... Realy Beowulf n 3D, that should have been wounderfull...

Any way. DragonLance was my first book leading to FR so i still have some big attachement to the first novel of the serie. I'm just to curious to see what they made of their movie...

Oui Akeri... je le jure: ça vaut vraiment la peine de voir ça en 3D... si t'est pas trop loin de Montréal, je suis sûr qu'il y a au moins une ou deux salles IMAX qui doivent présenter ce film en 3D. J'habite dans la région du grand Toronto, donc je l'ai vu à Mississauga, au cinéma suivant:

http://www.cineplex.com/Theatres/TheatreDetails/2CF0953E/Coliseum_Mississauga.aspx

Absolument INCROYABLE! Ça bat quasiment la trilogie du Seigneur des Anneaux!
nb_nmare Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 23:12:55
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Now, Xena aka Lucy Lawless being Goldmoon - I cannot see how that fits the bill?!?!? She would be a perfect cast for Kiatara IMHO but Goldmoon? Now, I can only hope they will dye her hair blonde..........

Heh, actually Lawless' natural colour is blonde, so it was Xena which required the dye :).
Akeri Rualuavain Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 01:25:14
WOW !!!! I'm jalouse... Realy Beowulf n 3D, that should have been wounderfull...

Any way. DragonLance was my first book leading to FR so i still have some big attachement to the first novel of the serie. I'm just to curious to see what they made of their movie...
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 20 Nov 2007 : 01:21:28
After seeing Beowulf in IMAX 3D last night... well... it will be hard to order Dragonlance and feel a certain amount of satisfaction...
Ergdusch Posted - 19 Nov 2007 : 20:39:19
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

Straight to DVD eh? I had higher hopes.

Mmh, I have to agree here. I had hoped to see something more than that as well. If Dragonlance Chronicles would have similar sales today than what they had when it first came out and was popular it would have been not only one but 3 movies IMO. Only because it is not that popular anymore we see a DVD only and not a cinamatic movie.

Kuje Posted - 19 Nov 2007 : 17:44:32
The DVD is available for preorder:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y7U996?ie=UTF8&tag=trafficreport-20&linkCode=xm2&creativeASIN=B000Y7U996
MerrikCale Posted - 13 Nov 2007 : 03:43:37
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

take what you can get. The quality seems good. If its on-par with some of Marvels recent direct to DVD animated films, it should be decent at least
Dalor Darden Posted - 28 Oct 2007 : 15:57:24

Vexxan Posted - 28 Oct 2007 : 11:06:11
Animated? What a shame. With films like Eragon getting solid movie releases, and not straight-to-DVD, why are we still waiting on a decent Dragonlance? I must admit to considering Eragon fantasy pablum, but the film was live-action with mildly competent actors and passable CG. If such a basic film appeals to the masses, why can't the rich and complex world and relationships of the Chronicles be given a serious shot? I've had high hopes for Dragonlance on the big screen ever since Peter Jackson opened the doorway. This is just bad news for me.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Sep 2007 : 21:33:26
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Dragonlance stagnates in contrast to the Realms, which moves forward by a year or two every few real world years.

Though I watched the D&D cartoon as a kid, Dragginglance was my first intro into D&D settings and TSR publications... I got all of the first five trilogies, and then the lack of forward progress made me bail on the setting. For a long time, unless it was Weis & Hickman doing the writing, authors only went backwards or sideways -- never forward.
SirUrza Posted - 23 Sep 2007 : 18:04:38
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

I just realized that's my "Knowledge Dragonlance" skill is somewhere between 0 and 0,1.

Hehe I used to be like that too. All you need to know is that Dragonlance is more or less 2 timelines. Basically the Heroes of the Lance (the original trilogies; Chronicles & Legends) and then what their children face many years later.

For the most part the Dragonlance novels are spin off novels of the Core novels. We get introduced to this supporting cast character, or some organization, we get the facts about them in the Core novel, but the spin off novel fills in the fluff.

Dragonlance stagnates in contrast to the Realms, which moves forward by a year or two every few real world years.

In any case, Dragons of Autumn Twilight is an excellent read if you're interested in Dragonlance at all.
Marquant Volker Posted - 21 Sep 2007 : 15:48:20
I just realized that's my "Knowledge Dragonlance" skill is somewhere between 0 and 0,1.
Jorkens Posted - 21 Sep 2007 : 07:42:46
The fact that it is animated gives me some hope. I don't like live action fantasy movies (yes, I do prefer the Bakshi version of the Rings). I will probably be disappointed, but there is a glimmer of optimism in my somewhere.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000