Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Meeting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Trafaldi Posted - 13 Oct 2003 : 03:26:51
The scribes at candlekeep need to get together.

We can plan a meeting for gencon Indianapolis 2004 or, 2005 or, 2006. or all three.

Those that want to, we need to get in touch.

so who wants to
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bayne Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 20:14:15
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

I was thinking we meet at the WOTC booth its usually right in the middle, easy to see and we could probably meet in the novel section. There is occasionally an author in there and usually not alot of people.

Good plan Sir Trafaldi!
Now only if I could make it...(must get job soon!)
Mystery_Man Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 17:25:53
quote:
Originally posted by Trafaldi

The scribes at candlekeep need to get together.

We can plan a meeting for gencon Indianapolis 2004 or, 2005 or, 2006. or all three.

Those that want to, we need to get in touch.

so who wants to

And then on to who's who in the Candlekeep martial arts world. Woosh! Talk about your thread highjacks!

While I'm not a martial artist I aammmmmm.....

the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights
historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters
mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and
quadratical,
About binomial theorem I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the
hypotenuse.

Sorry, just had to blow off some steam. Thank you for letting into your homes to waste your time.
The Sage Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 15:49:28
I never received your email about the 'Titles' for your story Alexis, but I have since changed my email address since your last visit. The new address is now located in my profile.

As for the 'Radiant Heart' email...well I did send you out a copy when you last requested it, but obviously you never received it. I think I still have the file saved somewhere, I'll see about sending out to you.

Trafaldi Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 13:44:05
I was thinking we meet at the WOTC booth its usually right in the middle, easy to see and we could probably meet in the novel section. There is occasionally an author in there and usually not alot of people.
Alexis Merlin Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 13:14:54
Yes Bayne Krav Maga did indeed originate in Israel - apparantely it's been taking off in the US over the past few years, and is now just starting in Europe/UK.

...and Sage I am planning to continue the Sea Adventure story ASAP...hopefully the release of the film "Master and Commander" will aid my inspiration - unfortunately I left the original script on my computer at home but aim to get it sometime soon...incidentally did ever get either of my emails about ideas for the title, or for information about "The Noble Order of the Radiant Heart"?
Bayne Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 11:10:29
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Yah!!!...Alexis is back .
(any chance that you could finish that Sea Adventure story that you started here several months ago?)

Sorry, but I have nothing else to contribute to this part of the discussion.

That's ok, we're off-topic anyways, so why don't we veer back onto the path of that which is the Meeting. (dun dun dun).
So, Gencon...
I'll try to make it, hopefully I can, but the question is, how will we meet up?
The Sage Posted - 12 Nov 2003 : 09:35:23
Yah!!!...Alexis is back .
(any chance that you could finish that Sea Adventure story that you started here several months ago?)

Sorry, but I have nothing else to contribute to this part of the discussion.

Bayne Posted - 11 Nov 2003 : 20:26:56
quote:
Originally posted by Alexis Merlin

Greetings all,

Firstly an apology for my prolonged absence - I have been popping in from time to time to read the new topics but have sadly not been posting for sometime. Anyhow now I have settled in here in the big city (London) I should be able to partake a little more often - there is an RPG group at my university that does FR but I have not had time to join yet...

On the Martial Arts discussion I'm a Krav Maga man myself - for those interested a good website to check out is www.krav-maga.org.uk where I train...anyhow back on topic - I am trying to get one of the coveted US work placements that my university organises over the summer, and if I do then GenCon will take place during it...whether I will be anywhere near it is another question but at least I'll be on the same Continent!!

Incidently if any of the UK based scribes are in my neck of the woods at all, feel free to drop me an email (as a student I am always on the lookout for free lunches )

Krav maga is an israeli martial art, yes?
Alexis Merlin Posted - 11 Nov 2003 : 19:22:48
Greetings all,

Firstly an apology for my prolonged absence - I have been popping in from time to time to read the new topics but have sadly not been posting for sometime. Anyhow now I have settled in here in the big city (London) I should be able to partake a little more often - there is an RPG group at my university that does FR but I have not had time to join yet...

On the Martial Arts discussion I'm a Krav Maga man myself - for those interested a good website to check out is www.krav-maga.org.uk where I train...anyhow back on topic - I am trying to get one of the coveted US work placements that my university organises over the summer, and if I do then GenCon will take place during it...whether I will be anywhere near it is another question but at least I'll be on the same Continent!!

Incidently if any of the UK based scribes are in my neck of the woods at all, feel free to drop me an email (as a student I am always on the lookout for free lunches )
Bayne Posted - 07 Nov 2003 : 23:35:11
quote:
Originally posted by lowtech

quote:
Originally posted by Bayne

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

hehehe

Im afraid i will have to kill you for mentioning that, William

To answer your question Bayne\kahonen: I practice Bushido - the ancient samuarai martial art. As well as karate and aikido styles it also involves sword, bokan and nunchaku. The acadamy at which I belong is quite strict on the Japanese way as the actual origins of the school itself were brought over by the current master from Japan where he was trained by his master. We have numerous items dating from centuries ago within the academy from when it was first formed. Anyway, Im waffling

Oh and kahonen, you dark horse......if you start making origami red dragons, im runnin'!!!

Karate is like the exact opposite of bushido, because bushido (the way of the warrior) was designed for the samurai, and it deals with blade-wielding, where as karate (openhand) deals with well...unarmed strikes, generally...

I heard that karate (not to be confused with other martial arts) was created in Okinawa(sp?) as a means of self-defense against the Japanese. Wouldn't that make karate and bushido diametrically opposed?

My knowledge of other martial arts than what i have listed is limited, so forgive my ignorance, if you would.
lowtech Posted - 07 Nov 2003 : 18:16:30
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

hehehe

To answer your question Bayne\kahonen: I practice Bushido - the ancient samuarai martial art. As well as karate and aikido styles it also involves sword, bokan and nunchaku. The acadamy at which I belong is quite strict on the Japanese way as the actual origins of the school itself were brought over by the current master from Japan where he was trained by his master. We have numerous items dating from centuries ago within the academy from when it was first formed. Anyway, Im waffling

Oh and kahonen, you dark horse......if you start making origami red dragons, im runnin'!!!

Karate is like the exact opposite of bushido, because bushido (the way of the warrior) was designed for the samurai, and it deals with blade-wielding, where as karate (openhand) deals with well...unarmed strikes, generally...

I heard that karate (not to be confused with other martial arts) was created in Okinawa(sp?) as a means of self-defense against the Japanese. Wouldn't that make karate and bushido diametrically opposed?
eilinel Posted - 07 Nov 2003 : 17:33:26
all of those sports look cool actually.
i practiced French boxing, its between kick boxing and Regular Box
u can strike with feet but only some parts of them, its quite hard and don't always hurt since there are two ways to play: the first is the regular way, u strike until the other guy say "may i apologize to have thought i could steal your player's hand book?" and the second way is more difficult, u just have to touch the other on some parts of the body which give u points, if u strike too strongly, u lost. more u have points, the best u are.
actually, u don't always fight with feet, since u can also fight with fists exactly like American boxing. the true name is Savate, the street fight.
Cult_Leader Posted - 06 Nov 2003 : 13:27:54
I would -NOT- do that. Well .... Maybe. If you have one of them cool car battery powered ones that go fast and you have to control them with that little joy stick thinggy on it's arm. That would be kinda fun....

Anyway heh. If she lets me, I could help Lina get to an earlier one. I have offered before. The offer is still up.
William of Waterdeep Posted - 05 Nov 2003 : 04:47:25
Rad said-
Quote:
hehehe

Er,I think I hear somebody calling me,bye now.

Bayne,
I studied mostly Chinese styles,Northern Shaolin and Chinese Hawaiian Kenpo which was were Kenpo Karate came from.I tried some of the Karate studios after my training center was closed but It was not what I was used too since they used only light or no contact and It was geared towards sport instead of self-defence,The Chinese arts teach more circular attacks and blocks so I would have had to relearn
years of training that had become part of my style so I left the Martial Art world other than Practice of some of the exercises.I don't even remember all of the forms anymore.
The Sage Posted - 05 Nov 2003 : 01:36:42
Bayne said -
quote:
I should take offense to that, being a martial artist, but I won't...
But I will make a note of this opinion, and try not to talk about martial arts that much in the future, seeing as how it is received here.

Firstly, I would like to welcome you here to Candlekeep, scribe Bayne . Secondly, I would like to apologise for any offense you may have taken either directly or indirectly with what I had said previously about the Martial Arts.

I was once involved in the martial arts practice several years ago, but financial difficulties at the time, prevented me from continuing my studies. I therefore had to leave the school (something I deeply regretted at the time), and pursue other less-expensive (at least here in this country) interests.

My opinion on the matter was obviously the result of what limited exposure I had to this exercise...had I had the opportunity to pursue my studies further, my opinion would no doubt be very different from what it is today.

Please, do not allow my limited opinion on the subject of the Martial Arts to colour your perception of the general opinion and/or feeling my fellow scribes here at Candlekeep may have about the Martial Arts.

Bayne Posted - 05 Nov 2003 : 00:06:20
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

hehehe

Lord Rad Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 23:20:59
hehehe

Bayne Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 21:52:13
quote:
Originally posted by William of Waterdeep

quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Nah dont take offense Bayne, im a martial artist too but im sure Sage meant nothing of it 'cos if he did ill have to run him thru with my samaurai sword

What's this Rad. Martial Arts? Any other hidden talents we should know about?

Rad is also a 007 spy in her Majesty's Secret Service...Tell,no one.

Heh! yes and im a member of the crescent moon ninjas
William of Waterdeep Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 21:13:31
quote:
Originally posted by kahonen

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Nah dont take offense Bayne, im a martial artist too but im sure Sage meant nothing of it 'cos if he did ill have to run him thru with my samaurai sword

Rad is also a 007 spy in her Majesty's Secret Service...Tell,no one.
kahonen Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 21:08:56
quote:
Heh, ok ill show mine if you show yours...
i took chungdokwan, tai chi, muy thai, capoeira, combat class, and almost took weapons class, but didnt have money to buy all the weapons...

Apart from Judo (BJA 1st Kyu, Coach and Referee), I was a National champion at Origami. At one time I held the world record for Folded Swan
kahonen Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 21:03:35
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Bayne Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 20:55:50
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:

But I will make a note of this opinion, and try not to talk about martial arts that much in the future, seeing as how it is received here.

Heh, ok ill show mine if you show yours...
i took chungdokwan, tai chi, muy thai, capoeira, combat class, and almost took weapons class, but didnt have money to buy all the weapons...
Lord Rad Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 20:15:42
quote:

Bayne Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 12:35:00
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

The Australian State and National Chess Tournaments are played on public access national television here, every year. I should know, because I was in the State finals....

As for fencing displays, well...yes, that is something I could get used to as well, although martial arts just isn't what I am looking for - I prefer strategy and tactics (chess), rather than raw displays of physical prowess (martial arts). I guess that is why I like wargaming so much...

Bayne Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 12:25:35
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Yes, indeed. It certainly would be nice. Unfortunately, I doubt my meger purse could handle the cost of travel (from DC) or lodging, much less both . . . .

I live in the dc area, as well, and doubt i could make the travel, but im getting a job soon (finally!!!), and hope i can make it...I'll tell my friends about it too.
Lina Posted - 04 Nov 2003 : 11:22:02
quote:
Originally posted by William of Waterdeep

quote:

Actually, martial arts -- the real kind, not just trained brawling -- are just like fencing. Just no pointy bits involved. Unfortunately, there's the same problem involved. Unless you're using a choreographed fight, the action is too hard to follow, since the camera doesn't know where to point itself until it's done. That's when you'd have to watch it in slow-motion -- unless you know enough about it to follow the action.

William:
I am just a trained brawler then,the fancy stuff is pretty to watch but it will just get you hurt on the street.The only one that can get away with these fancy stunts is Ninjae, The Little Ninja.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lina Said~
quote:
Yes I can perfectly take care of myself, you don't have to worry about that *does a karate kick*

Yes I'm so lovable that William has adopted me, along with my other "mums".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
William:Thats my girl,Did anybody else hear the snap in that kick.

well i dont know much about martial arts and all that. just basic girly stuff. But learning it could be useful.

I'm not really a globetrotter myself, just like to travel. Unlike one of my cousins who quit their job and went backpacking around europe for a year. Thats what you'd call a globetrotter.
William of Waterdeep Posted - 27 Oct 2003 : 14:44:02
quote:

Actually, martial arts -- the real kind, not just trained brawling -- are just like fencing. Just no pointy bits involved. Unfortunately, there's the same problem involved. Unless you're using a choreographed fight, the action is too hard to follow, since the camera doesn't know where to point itself until it's done. That's when you'd have to watch it in slow-motion -- unless you know enough about it to follow the action.

William:
I am just a trained brawler then,the fancy stuff is pretty to watch but it will just get you hurt on the street.The only one that can get away with these fancy stunts is Ninjae, The Little Ninja.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lina Said~
quote:
Yes I can perfectly take care of myself, you don't have to worry about that *does a karate kick*

Yes I'm so lovable that William has adopted me, along with my other "mums".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
William:Thats my girl,Did anybody else hear the snap in that kick.

The Sage Posted - 27 Oct 2003 : 07:22:53
MuadDib said -
quote:
We really should organise some sort of meeting. I mean it would be so awesome. Who of us here are the globetrotters? Kind of makes you wish we were living in our novels, where one could simlpy pack up and leave as you wish. Adventure the realms as it were. No BS about passport control and all that.

Well, I am not a 'globetrotter' in the traditional sense of the word, but I have travelled to several other countries from time to time, either as a holiday or as part of my job.

As for Passports, well no, they really wouln't be a factor in Faerun, but we do know that several kingdoms and realms have strict laws for visitors and immigrants journeying into their domains. Cormyr for example, and Zhentil Keep. While a passport is not required, the visitors do have to obey and observe several customs and laws in order to remain within the realms limits.

MuadDib Posted - 27 Oct 2003 : 05:58:19
I have actually only been in the UAE for 5 months, still very new here.

Am a home bread proud to be born farmer from SA, where rugby, as Sage said, is like a religion. Im not a huge sports fan, whole family is though, so keep my eye on the news.

We really should organise some sort of meeting. I mean it would be so awesome. Who of us here are the globetrotters? Kind of makes you wish we were living in our novels, where one could simlpy pack up and leave as you wish. Adventure the realms as it were. No BS about passport control and all that.

-sigh-
Bookwyrm Posted - 27 Oct 2003 : 05:16:43

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000