Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 D&D XP Seminar Info

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Uzzy Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 01:40:55
Not a whole lot of info, but I've dug around and found this, from this site.

Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide in August

* Gives DMs what they need to run adventures and campaigns set in the realms
* Trying to present the information friendlier to the reader, less like an encyclopaedia, more being able to crack it open and get an idea from any page
* More information, but to avoid overwhelming the new reader.
* Full of story rich elements

“Who’s on the cover?” “Shade of Netheril riding a dragon. Shades are back as a force in the FR.”

FR Player’s Guide

* Book for the player
* Includes rules for drow and genasi player characters
* Introduces the Swordmage class
* Regional backgrounds, new feats, and more

FR1: Sceptre Tower of Spellguard (Adventure in September)

* 2-4 level
* Embraces FR flavour
* Still accessible to everyone

Swordmage

* First novel set in 4e Forgotten Realms
* Also introduces new class
* Blades of the Monsoon Book 1

“What will the new class be called?” “The Baker. I bake, I bake well”

Reader’s Guide to Drizzt

* Guide to RA Salvatore’s characters
* Hardcover, richly illustrated
* Celebrating 20 years

Pirate King

* Sequel to The Orc King

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Mar 2008 : 01:07:35
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Am I the only one who noticed that the FR book bears the Dungeons & Dragons logo, and NO FR logo?

Nope.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Mar 2008 : 01:06:50
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax
This way WotC is telling us that Drizzit just became the most prominent hero of the setting, maybe even more important than the setting itself ...

It's become obvious to me that Drizzt is considered to be more important than the setting itself. Drizzt remains alive, whole, intact...the setting does not.
l33td0ggy Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 16:02:00
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
[snip]
Drizzit toilet paper? Drizzit corn flakes? Or maybe Drizzit airlines ("We are faster than a swing of Drizzit's blade")?

Who told you of my business plans???

But than again - why not sticking to something that sells?! After all, we see other phenominons of such sorts all the time - e.g. another Rocky/Rambo/Indiana Jones movie! Is sells and thats what is important for a business.

You can't blame WotC for that, really! For other things, well... but not for sticking with Drizzit, ähem, Drizzt.

i can. they only push drizzt, and ignore any other charactyer that has the potential to shine. they won't give any other characters a shot, not so long as they can keep pyushing drizzt. it's not fair to the other authors when they don't get the publicity or endless repinrts and marketing that drizzt gets.

wotcs business plan is that only one thign sells, so they only sell that one thing.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 13:08:17
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

That would be Drizzt, Verghityax

I know, I used it in the wrong way deliberately This Drizzit thing comes from Sojourn novel, where someone calls Drizzt this way

There are enough Drizzt "fans" who still can't spell his name...or type it anyways... if it was intentional that's fine by me
Verghityax Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 12:17:49
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I know, I used it in the wrong way deliberately This Drizzit thing comes from Sojourn novel, where someone calls Drizzt this way

quote:

quote:
[snip]
Drizzit toilet paper? Drizzit corn flakes? Or maybe Drizzit airlines ("We are faster than a swing of Drizzit's blade")?

But than again - why not sticking to something that sells?! After all, we see other phenominons of such sorts all the time - e.g. another Rocky/Rambo/Indiana Jones movie! Is sells and thats what is important for a business.

You can't blame WotC for that, really! For other things, well... but not for sticking with Drizzit, ähem, Drizzt.

I know that what they really care for is making as much profit as possible and I can't blame them for that. Nevertheless, it still makes me sick.
Ergdusch Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 12:12:38
quote:
[snip]

Mace Hammerhand Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 12:10:26
Verghityax Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 11:46:45
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy
Reader’s Guide to Drizzt

* Guide to RA Salvatore’s characters
* Hardcover, richly illustrated
* Celebrating 20 years

That made me want to throw up What do we celebrate? 20 years of what? 20 years of whining drow being worshiped by hordes of teenagers? 20 years of milking a rothe? This way WotC is telling us that Drizzit just became the most prominent hero of the setting, maybe even more important than the setting itself We already had Drizzit comic books and now this happens. What's out next year? Drizzit toilet paper? Drizzit corn flakes? Or maybe Drizzit airlines ("We are faster than a swing of Drizzit's blade")?
Markustay Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 03:39:58
Am I the only one who noticed that the FR book bears the Dungeons & Dragons logo, and NO FR logo? "Forgotten Realms" is mentioned beneath the logo in a small text box.

However, the Eberron book has a GREAT, BIG, FAT, JUICY LOGO!!!!
and Dunngeons & Dragons comes underneath it in teensy, tiny letters.

Ladies and Gentlemen... I think we've been had.

If that doesn't scream "FR is the new Core", I don't know what does.

We don't even get a friggin' logo this time out....
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Mar 2008 : 02:37:12
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Enworld has a report from someone at D&D Exp that WOTC has been in talks with Hollywood about a D&D movie.

Some of the pitches are about a Drizzt movie or maybe a Eberron movie.

Cool, thanks for letting us know.
Ergdusch Posted - 01 Mar 2008 : 23:51:17
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

I can't believe they're wasting publishing space on a guide book to RA Salvatore's characters when in fact all of them are dead in the 4E setting.

*shakes head*

Talk about wasting publishing space.

That's what you'd call a '3.x Ed. aftershock'!
SirUrza Posted - 01 Mar 2008 : 22:30:58
I can't believe they're wasting publishing space on a guide book to RA Salvatore's characters when in fact all of them are dead in the 4E setting.

*shakes head*

Talk about wasting publishing space.
Kuje Posted - 01 Mar 2008 : 19:58:48
Enworld has a report from someone at D&D Exp that WOTC has been in talks with Hollywood about a D&D movie.

Some of the pitches are about a Drizzt movie or maybe a Eberron movie.
Ergdusch Posted - 01 Mar 2008 : 18:10:20
quote:

Not a whole lot of info, but I've dug around and found this, from this site.

Thanks to Markustay we have a link with a few links that feature the entire info of Uzzy's link as videos at youtube. (Can you use 'link' anymore often in just one sentence? )

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

A link to this link was posted over at WotC boards -

News from the show

Enjoy... I guess.

ShadezofDis Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 21:08:28
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

But the thing is, Lathander already screwed up once. Even though he's overly enthusiastic, I can't see how any plot of his would allow for such a major failure as the Sellplague. Remember, the first Dawn Cataclysm didn't have any notable effects on the mortal world, other than the oft-quoted bit about presaging the fall of Myth Drannor. And we only know of one deific death from the Dawn Cataclysm -- Murdane. Tyche's corruption and split happened during the Dawn Cataclysm, but there's no evidence that the two were related.

Oh, I wouldn't want to say that Lathander caused the Spellplague (you and your clever puns *g*) just that it's another piece of the puzzle. For something like the Spellplague you need A LOT of things going wrong at just the right time and I think that Lathander's actions could help aid and abed what literally caused the Spellplague (I haven't thought up anything good for that yet, some ideas but they're vague, mainly centering around internal FR forces vs external non-FR forces needing to be balanced... nevermind, I'm not there yet *g*)

quote:
And it wasn't Shar that went into Dweomerheart -- it was Cyric. My theory is that Shar lent him the Karsestone, and it somehow shielded Cyric from being noticed until he did the deed (it's a Venom/Spider-Man thing: the Karsestone was the heart of someone who was briefly the deity of magic, so it acted as a foil against the senses of the new deity of magic).

Not bad, though it begs the question of why such a thing hasn't ever happened before. I'm weak on my Karsestone lore though, so the "holes" I see may not even be there.

And I wasn't sure what the exact situation was, but I knew that Cyric did the deed, it's just that he didn't have to be the one who weakened the walls of Dweomerheart and I feel like Shar has a subtler touch (though, from evidence of the Trial of Cyric the Mad, the Dark Sun does have it in him to be subtle)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 20:59:37
But the thing is, Lathander already screwed up once. Even though he's overly enthusiastic, I can't see how any plot of his would allow for such a major failure as the Sellplague. Remember, the first Dawn Cataclysm didn't have any notable effects on the mortal world, other than the oft-quoted bit about presaging the fall of Myth Drannor. And we only know of one deific death from the Dawn Cataclysm -- Murdane. Tyche's corruption and split happened during the Dawn Cataclysm, but there's no evidence that the two were related.

And it wasn't Shar that went into Dweomerheart -- it was Cyric. My theory is that Shar lent him the Karsestone, and it somehow shielded Cyric from being noticed until he did the deed (it's a Venom/Spider-Man thing: the Karsestone was the heart of someone who was briefly the deity of magic, so it acted as a foil against the senses of the new deity of magic).
ShadezofDis Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 19:33:37
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis
I actually like the idea of tying in Lathander's . . . oh, I forget what it was being called, but it seems like it'd fit really well. I'll have to think about it some more but it'd go a long way towards explaining some various things, if handled correctly.

That's actually a really good idea... But keep in mind that a major goal for them was to remove Mystra. It's hard to tie that into something Lathander would start.

Not quite so difficult when you take the view of the Gods being very dynamic beings. I wouldn't be shocked that Shar would find out a bit about Lathander's new plan and the take advantage of the distraction such an event, or even the preparation of the event, caused.

Personally, I'm working on solidifying my planar theory and I think I'm going to use "Elminster in Hell" as the justification for the ease of the assassination of Mystra (When Mystra goes to Hell Shar plants a seed in Dweomerheart which grew and eventually introduced enough corruption in Dweomerheart to allow Shar access, think of the corruption's growth as being like a boiling frog)

But such an event as Lathander's Deliverence would be easy to work in with the same type of theory applied.

It could also go a ways towards explaining some animosity between Tyr and Helm. (Anyone have where that whole saga is spelled out? Is it on the web or from a book?)
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 18:50:12
Yes, it´s really hard.

But if Helm was still with us, he could talk a little about how Lathander is "subtle" when he want to put some plot to move...

I will not be surprise if Lathander´s acts culminate to permit the death of Mystra.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 18:30:54
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

Did you know what is funny? All the time, we have this "menace" of the new plot of Lathander to alter the planes and the worlds... Something like this (that is a solid piece or Realmslore) could be used with much more sense to justify the changes to 4th Edition.

Only if... the spellplague, the fact that Mystra don´t prevent it.. the loss of power of so many gods... the imprisonment of Cyric... the changes in the planes and the realms...

I start to think if we will see the radiant finger of Lathander in all this mess, at some point...

I actually like the idea of tying in Lathander's . . . oh, I forget what it was being called, but it seems like it'd fit really well. I'll have to think about it some more but it'd go a long way towards explaining some various things, if handled correctly.

That's actually a really good idea... But keep in mind that a major goal for them was to remove Mystra. It's hard to tie that into something Lathander would start.
ShadezofDis Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 18:05:30
quote:

I forget the name, too.

Second cataclism, Dawn cataclism, or something like this.

I think the first one was the Dawn Cataclysm and this one was supposed to be the Dawn Crusade.

... all I've been able to find in a quick google search is "Lathander's Deliverance"
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 17:53:20
I forget the name, too.

Second cataclism, Dawn cataclism, or something like this.

Hmm, someone could ask this for me to Rich, in the WotC boards?

Is Lathander involved with all the events that lead to the spellplague, and this have something to do with the Lathander´s cataclism?

Another question, this greatly discussed in brazilian boards:

"Will 4th give continuity with the templates? half-dragon, fey, golem, ornitorrinco, etc.?"

This is something that don´t have a great aceptance here in Brazil, and many players are arguing about this.

If someone could post my questions in Rich´s plate, I´ll be happy.
ShadezofDis Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 17:40:25
quote:

Did you know what is funny? All the time, we have this "menace" of the new plot of Lathander to alter the planes and the worlds... Something like this (that is a solid piece or Realmslore) could be used with much more sense to justify the changes to 4th Edition.

Only if... the spellplague, the fact that Mystra don´t prevent it.. the loss of power of so many gods... the imprisonment of Cyric... the changes in the planes and the realms...

I start to think if we will see the radiant finger of Lathander in all this mess, at some point...

Chosen of Moradin Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 17:35:20

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 17:12:51
quote:

I wonder what will happen to Lathander though? Traded places with Amaunator as a lost God?

I was wondering that, myself...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 17:12:10
Wow, thanks so much for the information.
crazedventurers Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 13:24:11
Halfling Paladin

27 HP at 1st level
and +2 to hit at 1st level as well?

hmmm, nice

Damian

Ergdusch Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 11:04:56
quote:

Going by this character sheet, Tymora's still in.. and able to sponsor Paladins.

And by this one, Amaunator's in.

At least they are included in the D&D Core material as those cheets are not FR specific!

I wonder what will happen to Lathander though? Traded places with Amaunator as a lost God?
Uzzy Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 10:29:00
Going by this character sheet, Tymora's still in.. and able to sponsor Paladins.

And by this one, Amaunator's in.
Kentinal Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 04:21:41
quote:
Originally posted by l33td0ggy

"reader's guide to drizzt"

you have got to be kidding me! is there anythiung wotc won't do to milk the drizzt appeal?

i have a guide: he fights. he whines. there, give me $20.

I was not going there.
If they can sell 250,000 units because of a name or picture on the book so be it. Perhaps something inside the cover will be useful as well.
l33td0ggy Posted - 29 Feb 2008 : 04:10:37
"reader's guide to drizzt"

you have got to be kidding me! is there anythiung wotc won't do to milk the drizzt appeal?

i have a guide: he fights. he whines. there, give me $20.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000