Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fox-at-Twilight by de Bie and Costa

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
TomCosta Posted - 12 Feb 2008 : 00:18:03
So several months ago Erik and I talked about statting several of his characters. Here is Twilight. Look for Gargan and Tlork in another thread.

FROM THE DEPTHS OF MADNESS:
THE FOX AND THE DISPOSSESSED
By Erik Scott de Bie and Thomas M. Costa
Special thanks to Jared Rascher (a.k.a. KnightErrantJR of Candlekeep.com)

What You Need to Play
The Fox-at-Twilight appears in the short story, “The Greater Treasure,” in Realms of the Elves, and the novel, Depths of Madness, by Erik Scott de Bie, both of which are discussed by the author here: http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_depthsofmadnessinterview. Another character from the novels, the evil warlock, Davoren, was given official statistics on the WotC website here: http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070314

Twilight, a Trickster-touched creature, and Gargan the Dispossessed make use of information in the Player’s Handbook, Dungeon Master’s Guide, Monster Manual, Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, and Complete Scoundrel. In addition, their write ups include references to material in the Book of Vile Darkness, Complete Adventurer, Complete Arcane, Complete Warrior, Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells, Fiend Folio, Magic Item Compendium, Magic of Faerûn, Player’s Guide to Faerûn, Races of Stone, and Spell Compendium. Although possession of any or all of these supplements will enhance your use of these write ups, they are not strictly necessary.

TRICKSTER-TOUCHED CREATURE
Trickster-touched creatures are blessed specially by Erevan Ilesere, the elven god of mischief, change, and rogues. They are nimbler, cleverer, and, of course, trickier than any normal member of their race. Some are born with the Trickster’s touch, others gain Erevan’s kiss later in life, but however these wayward creatures gain the attention of the Fey Jester, they are inevitably beings of chaos and misadventure.

FOX-AT-TWILIGHT
Yldar turned to find a mischievous smile waiting. He stood blinking, impressed with the vision before him.

Shifting her weight from one foot to the other sensuously, the moon elf was easily the most beautiful maid he had ever seen—on par with the high nobles of Evermeet, even.

Her laughing eyes were pale, of indeterminate color that seemed to shift with the light. Standing against her pale skin, the raven hair falling to her waist in a loose cascade gleamed like the sky at midnight. She wore tight black breaches, a white tunic, and a gray vest with a half cape of dark scarlet silk that covered her left arm. Only one hand—the right, in a scarlet glove—was visible, perched on a slim hip.

Most significantly, though, she wore certainty and strength of will about her like a cloak. Her gaze unnerved him even as it sent thrills down his spine, and her body.... Well….
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fellfire Posted - 22 Feb 2015 : 04:30:52
Not to put you on blast, but it you're gonna drop a hook that is ten-THOUSAND years old, more than a one-liner would be nice.
Fellfire Posted - 22 Feb 2015 : 04:10:46
Except, it wasn't used in that way. It implied that, once, these bladechimers were so popular that there were mages enchanting specific items, just for them. Say I like to collect miniature ships. I will seek out and attempt to make relations with those that share my passion. It is a small step to collaberation and from there, conspiracy, so what did these rogue/fighters have to offer the mages supporting them unless it was a brotherhood that offered some significant value that these enchanters could not achieve for themselves?!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 22 Feb 2015 : 02:37:54
As far as anyone knows, "Bladechimer" is like saying "sellsword" or "outrider." Just a clear fiction way of describing a particular style of fighting. We'd say "swashbuckler" or "fencer." The term is, I believe, a corruption of the Elvem, and Bears a suspicious similarity to "bladesinger."

Here are the writeups: http://erikscottdebie.com/freestuff/

If Ilira is to be believed, she briefly counted the Duchess of Venom her lover, until they betrayed each other during the downfall of the Night Masks around 1390. For more info, consult my Backdrop: Westgate article. Taken as a memento of their time together, Lady Vhammos's mask serves as a token to bypass Night Mask traps, can activate/unlock Orbakh's spells, and shroud its wielder in darkness on command. I don't believe it's mentioned in Ilira's 4e writeup, but it would be in her 5e one (which I haven't done yet). Ilira as a NPC in my current campaign is a rogue 18.

Cheers
Fellfire Posted - 21 Feb 2015 : 19:07:46
Thanks, Tom. I wish there was more to build upon, but a name is a good place to start and leaves the rest wide open.
TomCosta Posted - 21 Feb 2015 : 18:37:31
As I recall, bladechimers is not a group, its just a word like saying swashbuckler, but one unique to the Realms.
Fellfire Posted - 21 Feb 2015 : 17:33:07
I'm also interested greatly in theses bladechimers. I have asked the Bearded One himself, but he is said to be very busy. Is there anything either one of you can remember besides this sobriquet? I wonder about their origins, founding members, defining attributes and reasons for their decline. Perhaps they were more common in the days of Myth Drannor when dalliances between elves and humans ( or gnomes, halflings and dwarves) more common? Their epithet as rakes (re. Ilira's cape and gauntlet, said to be known by different names, perhaps as far back as the Crown Wars?! What was that? This is really good Realmslore here) denotes a certain proclivity towards promiscuity.
Fellfire Posted - 21 Feb 2015 : 17:09:58
Another EoJ question, Ilira's mask is described as having a "more powerful aura" of magic. I thought there was a 4e rewrite for her, but am unable to remember or find it. If you can, please disclose the power of that mask. Was it a Night Mask taken from the aforementioned Duke or Duchess or even the bloody Night King himself?
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Feb 2015 : 07:47:29
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Just as long as we're on the topic, I was never sure how Rath's ring dispelled Ilira's shadow. Was it a holy ring of some sort, or just bright magical light?
Channel divinity/turn undead sort of power.

quote:
Also, did you ever finish Kingdom of Night? At least a rough draft?

It still exists as a partial manuscript. 50k or so, but not complete yet.

Cheers
Lilianviaten Posted - 10 Feb 2015 : 06:47:55
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

1) Bladechimers: This is an Ed-ism, though I don't honestly recall if it's from a book or an email conversation.

2) There is a special ritual to become Ilira's shadow, which she didn't do on the bodyguard for three reasons: a) she already had a shadow (Gargan) at that point, b) she decided her bodyguard wouldn't want that, c) she didn't really have the time. With Brace, she had lost her shadow (ostensibly destroyed by Vindicator) and her relationship with Brace had not yet run its course. She's nostalgic that way.

Cheers

Just as long as we're on the topic, I was never sure how Rath's ring dispelled Ilira's shadow. Was it a holy ring of some sort, or just bright magical light?

Also, did you ever finish Kingdom of Night? At least a rough draft?
The Sage Posted - 09 Feb 2015 : 02:50:33
I really do love seeing updates to this scroll.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 15:29:58
1) Bladechimers: This is an Ed-ism, though I don't honestly recall if it's from a book or an email conversation.

2) There is a special ritual to become Ilira's shadow, which she didn't do on the bodyguard for three reasons: a) she already had a shadow (Gargan) at that point, b) she decided her bodyguard wouldn't want that, c) she didn't really have the time. With Brace, she had lost her shadow (ostensibly destroyed by Vindicator) and her relationship with Brace had not yet run its course. She's nostalgic that way.

Cheers
Fellfire Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 13:14:15
Much thanks, TomCosta.
TomCosta Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 13:10:39
I'm not Eric, but I did a good chunk of the mechanical conversion of Twilight, at least the first pass. Twilight's cape is only +2, which it says under equipment. The +4 is what her ability modifier is. All of the ability scores have an ability modifier listed.

As you quote the cape adds a bonus to Cha and saves, not to AC.

Here's my notes on the cape:

Cost is going to be equal to a cloak of charisma + 1.5 x a vest of resistance because it takes up a body slot. +2 = 4000 +6000 = 10,000; +4 = 16,000 + 24,000 = 40,000; +6 = 36,000 + 54,000 = 90,000.

This description is derived from Realms of the Elves, p. 149-150.

Eric can correct me but I think bladechimmers is a made up word by Ed.
Fellfire Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 12:22:24
And another thing that bothers me. About Twilight in EoJ. Her dragonborn bodyguard, he dies. Why does he not become Ilira's shadow? They were obviously close. She hardly knew Brace, yet when he died, he did. Why?
Fellfire Posted - 08 Feb 2015 : 12:17:20
Eric, can you help me understand this?

Rake’s Cape
Price (Item Level): 10,000 gp (12th) (+2); 40,000 gp (17th) (+4); 90,000 gp (20th) (+6)
Body Slot: Shoulders
Caster Level: 10th
Aura: Moderate; (DC 17) transmutation
Activation: —
Weight: 1 lb.

This half cape is sewn from dark scarlet silk and radiates a certain sultry aura of decadence and passion.

A rake’s cape adds an enhancement bonus to your Charisma score and offers magical protection in the form a of a resistance bonus on your saving throws equal to +2, +4, or +6 (Twilight’s cape is +4).

Lore: Unbeknownst to Twilight or most of its other wearers, the rare cloaks of this kind that still persist have a place in the ancient history of elven civilizations in the Realms, perhaps dating back as far as the Crown Wars. The gauntlet she wears—a glove of scarlet leather that functions as a glove of dexterity—has a similar history and has been called a rake’s gauntlet. These items were known by different names then, though their function—as accessories worn by elven bladechimers (the equivalent of swashbucklers, today)—was much the same (Knowledge [arcana] DC 30).

and this...

Abilities Str 11 (+0), Dex 24 (+7, 22 without gauntlet), Con 12 (+1), Int 22 (+6), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 18 (+4, 16 without cape)

I thought that the enhancement bonus was to AC. Am I wrong? How is the cape increasing her CHA?

Also, bladechimers. Window-dressing or did you find that bit of lore somewhere?

Edit: Wait, I thought it said an enhancement bonus equal to your CHA score. Sorry.That is one mystery solved. But would that not make her CHA score 20 instead of 18?
sfdragon Posted - 23 Jan 2015 : 15:04:02
doesnt say much to elves who have human ancestry does it.

should be doesnt mean they all ahve to be as even Coran has gotten fat over teh years.
BenN Posted - 23 Jan 2015 : 07:15:37
I'm very much in the 'elves should be wiry/willowy' camp.

If I try to think of people in real-life who are the closest approximation to what female elves would/should be like, it would be ballet dancers; not only because of their lithe physique, but maybe more because of the way they carry themselves - with beautiful poise, great dexterity & grace. I don't think I've ever seen what one could call a 'buxom' ballet dancer.

As for male elves - they should be as dextrous & graceful as the females. But should they be similarly lithe (lanky)? The cover art of Elaine Cunningham's Evermeet shows Lamruil Moonflower to be pretty well- built (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Lamruil_Moonflower), and other male elf heroes (Fflar) is described as having "broad shoulders".
sfdragon Posted - 23 Jan 2015 : 06:17:03
yeah had something to say on the femnale elf's bust and my comment above. its for me, whats large on an elf's frame not whats large on a human's frame....... otherwise
Duneth Despana Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 08:25:41
Thanks a lot! This is really helpful! I should probably have led with an introduction ;-P : I play 3.0.5.P and was looking at possibilities for Chosen characters, since there seems to be a lot of focus on those with the Sundering (I was not during this purely out of thread-necromantic interest ;-P). I think my error was having +1 -races- rather than templates in mind. Thanks again!
TomCosta Posted - 18 Dec 2014 : 00:57:19
So I found my notes and here was my rationale at the time....

Compare the Trickster-touched to the Lolth-touched in MM4, which grants Str +6, Con +6, Hide +4, Move Silently +4, and immunity to fear. They match up fairly equally because while the Lolth-touched bonuses to abilities are to abilities that tie in together quite directly in combat, the Trickster-touched are a bit higher; the Lolth-touched skill bonuses are like taking Stealthy twice or two bonus feats, which the Trickster-touched bonus feat and detect abilities which compare to feats like Magical Training in the Player’s Guide to Faerûn and Insightful in Complete Arcane; and the Lolth-touched immunity to fear is more or less equal to the Trickster-touched bonus against poison and bardic knowledge; leaving the Trickster-touched extra treasure, which is a relatively small bump and somewhat balanced by the gradual nature of some of the bonuses. Arguably, the Trickster-touched is slightly more powerful, but not enough to warrant more than a +1 CR, and because of the gradual nature of some of the abilities, probably not enough to warrant more than a +1 level adjustment.
Also note that this template plays well with Twilight’s build, lowering her base ability point build to the standard elite 25 points and explains her various boons.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 17:26:36
Or we could just hand wave it, since it's a novel character. Wouldn't be the first time.

But anyway, it's a good question. Templates were kind of wonky in 3.5, and we really just tried to create a build that was representative of Fox-at-Twilight as presented in Depths of Madness, wherein she had a lot of different powers that are difficult to obtain because of prerequisites. She's much, much simpler in her later incarnations (I have a 4e statblock on my website if you're interested).

Cheers
TomCosta Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 15:29:48
Ok, you're asking me to remember my thinking from 5.5 years ago. Whew.... ;-) Relooking at it, I'm guessing I saw the stat bonuses as the only significant benefit, the rest is mostly color, though it arguably adds up, so maybe it should have been +2. I'm sure I was also looking at other templates in other sources at the time, but I am hard pressed to see which ones I compared it to. I might have that info at home and can double check.
Duneth Despana Posted - 17 Dec 2014 : 14:41:50
Maybe It's because I don't have a good enough grasp on the crunch of it all but doesn't +1 level adjustment on the trickster touched template seem a little too generous given the +6, +6, +4 to ability scores and free feats? I don't pretend to know better (If I were to bet money on who could best balance a homebrew template It would be on Tom Costa... certainly not myself ;-P) just trying to understand.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 20 Oct 2013 : 02:40:48
Hey Fellfire!

Long time, no chat!

I've answered your questions in my Chamber of Sages thread, which is a better place for a question that's mostly about my books. But thanks for resurrecting this thread--it brings back great memories.

(Conversation starts on page 61.)

Cheers
Fellfire Posted - 20 Oct 2013 : 02:10:32
Eric, I admit I have not yet read Eye of Justice mostly because of the e-only format, but also because of the post-Spellplague era, yet Fox is one of my favorite characters. How much face time is Ilira given in that novel? How much of her past with Neveren is explored? And what of Betrayal? Are we talking paragraphs or chapters? Also, any chance of seeing some stats (3.5) for Nev? I'd love that along with those chapbooks that have been mentioned. I'm especially keen on Shadowfox. I understand your not wanting to give away the golden goose, but with things being the way they are with WOtC publishing it is unlikely we will ever see those stories seeing the light of day. Have you considered writing them regardless? I know many here would be interested in reading them.
Fellfire Posted - 17 May 2012 : 22:04:34
Please see my post regarding Awakened Animals and leave me a few suggestions. The line where you mentioned awakened racoons has, in part, inspired me.
TBeholder Posted - 11 Mar 2012 : 15:32:35
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

2 Erik Scott de Bie: Not quite on-topic, but did you hear "The Evil Rocks The Night" by Scavanger? Could as well be one of theme songs for "The Greater Treasure"...

Never heard of it. I'll be on the lookout, though!
No need, it's well available. For a lower-quality preview, the full song is in soundtrack of this clip on Youtubbies from 0:6:36 to 0:10:40 or so.
The thing is, on last.fm there are only 2 songs, but that album was released under Creative Commons (BY-NC-SA) during the band's Jamendo days, so there are good OGGs on Jamendo (much like those "Previous Edition Downloads", both valid torrent file and archive - it's more of load, but the torrent may be dry - are still there), Mediafire (the first link) and so on.
Also, the album also got a rather funny Discworld song.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 10 Mar 2012 : 18:49:26
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

2 Erik Scott de Bie: Not quite on-topic, but did you hear "The Evil Rocks The Night" by Scavanger? Could as well be one of theme songs for "The Greater Treasure"...

Never heard of it. I'll be on the lookout, though!

Cheers
TBeholder Posted - 10 Mar 2012 : 18:43:46

quote:

And while I am a straight male and thus, by definition, like looking at women's bodies in various states of undress, the plethora of huge-breasted "elven" women in scanty fantasy "armor" makes me sort of tired, rather than titillated.
And that's before adding some painful-to-look-at Chris Hart poses! (that blog is named "Escher Girls"... for a reason)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 17 Feb 2012 : 15:32:05
Liv Tyler was a great Arwen. They did a stellar job with Cate Blanchett as Galadriel too--that's what a regal elf lady *should* look like.

Cheers

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000