Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dragons of Autumn Twilight Movie Trailer

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ioulaum Posted - 11 Dec 2007 : 18:30:22
Has anyone seen it yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrOfJ8_D0o

The animation is atrocity.

First 4th ed and now this. Can't WotC do anything right?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Red Walker Posted - 20 Jan 2008 : 23:59:47
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

So the movie doesn't suck after all?

Better than it looked , but.....

I intended to use this to introduce DL to my Daughter....We started watching it and she starts laughing.
I asked her what was wrong. She said what are those supposed to be, haven't they ever watched Lord of the rings or the hobbit. She thought it looked like a fellow 5th grader drew them, she could not thell what any of the monsters were.

Sadly I agreed , Toede and his lackeys were laughable. We turned it off.

I will finish it, but not with her watching as well, I do not want to drive her away!

P.S. Music was at least 5X better than the drawing. Glad I bought it and disappointed at the same time.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Jan 2008 : 22:43:14
So the movie doesn't suck after all?
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 20 Jan 2008 : 05:31:03
Yes, I must say that the choir in the background of various parts of this movie really enhanced the whole experience!
The Sage Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 23:43:18
Oh, and there's been some discussion about a soundtrack for the film. Even if you aren't a fan of DL, this will likely make an fascinating addition to your library of background music for campaigns.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 23:42:11
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Indeed. And it is truly unfortunate that Dragons of the Hourglass Mage, the final volume in the "Lost Chronicles" trilogy, will be Weis & Hickman's last DL novel published.

Um . . . if it gets published. According to Margaret its on indefinite hold right now for reasons that she and Tracy won't go into.
The Sage Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 23:40:55
Indeed. And it is truly unfortunate that Dragons of the Hourglass Mage, the final volume in the "Lost Chronicles" trilogy, will be Weis & Hickman's last DL novel published.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 17:17:59
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I will watch it tonight, the more I hear about it the more I look forward to it.

Purple Dragon Knight, you should try DL chronicles. Fun read. Also neat is how it starts off as a novelization of a "module" then changes in tone after the authors catch the game designers. After that they are telling a tale and it really takes off as a great trilogy.

I'd go a step further, and recommend all Weis & Hickman Dragginglance novels. Those two authors are among the very few who can sell me a book by putting their names on the cover. I've read just about all of their stuff.
The Red Walker Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 15:18:40
I will watch it tonight, the more I hear about it the more I look forward to it.

Purple Dragon Knight, you should try DL chronicles. Fun read. Also neat is how it starts off as a novelization of a "module" then changes in tone after the authors catch the game designers. After that they are telling a tale and it really takes off as a great trilogy.
Jorkens Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 09:45:56
As I have seen positive comments from people who enjoy Bakshi and Rankin/Bass I am starting to look forward to this movie.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 19 Jan 2008 : 08:56:44
Just saw it tonight. Yeah, animation is not up to today's standard, but hey, it was made in India. Give this rising middle class a chance! :)

As for me, I have never read a single Dragonlance book. I am sure they are great: I've heard only great things about DL. There, I am coming clean before I say it: I really like this movie! :) :) :)

I guess it's been so long I saw something on TV or theatre even remotely close to a good old adventuring party going on a quest... seeing one again felt good. I liked the interaction between characters; the naïveté of the good types; the isolationist nature of the elves; the young looking elf chick making out with a 70 year old human... cool little things like that you wouldn't see in a regular Hollywood production or anime show.
Brynweir Posted - 18 Jan 2008 : 03:09:51
Just saw the film and it does not look nearly as bad as the trailor. The characters were done rather well, although some were better portrayed than others. Tas was great - lmao.

Overall, not disappointed that I bought it.
Ioulaum Posted - 16 Jan 2008 : 21:31:06
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
summary

i can't believed how many softball questions were getting toss here. not one question on the decision to use name actors and not one on the animation itself.

Jorkens Posted - 16 Jan 2008 : 07:41:29
Quite honestly I don't think the animation looks that bad from what I have seen. The special effects shots are worse I'll admit, but I still hope these are a rough version in the trailer.
The Red Walker Posted - 16 Jan 2008 : 02:10:46
I decided to order the DVD today. It was only $12.99 on amazon. Even though the trailer spooked me, I have come to think that supporting it is the best way to get them to do another is to buy this one in hopes they may improve the animation next go round.
Kuje Posted - 15 Jan 2008 : 17:04:22
Truth Seeker IV from ENworld and Circvs Maximvs interviewed John Frank Rosenblum, Karl Preusser, George Strayon, Cindi Rice & Margaret Weis about the Dlance movie.

John Frank Rosenblum (We met and spoke at the Preview showing at Gen Con '07)-what was the most difficult aspect of doing this film, given the massive history of the (Role-playing and book) franchise. What were the expectations (high or low), when this project was placed into your lap?

John Frank Rosenblum: The most difficult part was finding a way to condense the vast amount of material into a 90-minute screenplay. There were a lot of hard decisions: What gets left in and left out. What gets told and what doesn't. It was really hard to let go of some scenes from the books, since I'm such a big fan of Margaret & Tracy's work.

JFR-as you stated at the discussion, after the previewing at Gen Con. The general stance was and hopefully still is that you won't mind doing more, as if the response to the film is generally good. If it is midway, or so, for some reason, will that alter that standing?

John Frank Rosenblum: Continuation of a series is always based on success. We love Dragonlance and want to make dozens of films, but everything will be based on how well the first one sells.

Alright next…will be the Music Man-Karl Preusser.

When the film was in the last pre-production stages, where you involved, when the final approval was given to make it? Or did you come in later. And or even better, where you aware at some point, that this project, (20 years in the make) and wanted to have a hand in it? Some tricky on the questions there…

Karl Preusser: Fortunately, I was brought on to the film, fairly early in the production process. This gave me a chance to re-read all of the books and get myself back up to speed with all of the character / story arcs throughout the entire trilogy. I was absolutely aware of the fact that this was a project that meant a lot, to a lot of people. I had read the books and played D&D in my teens and I count myself among the fans, I knew it would be a special film to be a part of.

As Mr. Hickman stated at the Gen Con '07, that there was an Elven (can't recall which) song, that was his personal favorite. Do you have any for yourself?

Karl Preusser: 'Qualinesti Hymn' is definitely one of my favorites as well. Tracy's lyrics are pure and beautiful and it is an absolutely masterful performance by the Mila Vocal Ensemble. I do have some other favorites from the score as well. One of them is a piece towards the beginning of the film entitled 'Fizban's Tale'; it passes through many different elements of the story and musical styles. I am also proud of the entire 'Forestmaster / Pegaus Ride' sequence. In addition, I am very pleased with the end result of the traditional medieval instruments / folk elements, I incorporated into the score... they add just the right touch. I'd like to thank the Musica Antiqua Medieval Ensemble for their amazing work!

As a music Soundtrack collector myself, it is always important that the music has to fit the theme and pacing of the film itself. Was there a time, when a few bumps cause some headaches, during the process? And from a music lover's view. Do you think the entire score will be satisfying to old and new fans alike?

Karl Preusser: Although it was quite an undertaking, bringing music to the world of Dragonlance, turned out to be a fairly smooth process. However, composing music for Raistlin definitely provided some challenges, because there are so many different facets to his character. Also, the story moves fairly quickly, so the score often had to get in and out fast, and yet still be effective dramatically. There are still several really nice moments in the film however, where director Will Meugniot let me spread my wings.

There was one incident that happened that looking back is funny, however at the time, quite a problem. We were recording with a full symphony orchestra when suddenly we started hearing 'chirping'. At first I thought it was just outside the studio window, but I then realized I was hearing it in the mix. As it turned out a bird had made it's way up into the rafters at the recording studio in Prague and despite the best efforts of the entire studio staff, we had to shut down the entire session and send 60 musicians and crew home. The bird eventually left on its own and they were good enough to give us a makeup session. No birds were harmed in the making of this film!

And now, we go to the person who had to translate the Novel (DRAGONLANCE: DRAGONS OF AUTUMN TWILIGHT) to Screenplay, Mr. George Strayton.

And now, we go to the person who had to translate the Novel (DRAGONLANCE: DRAGONS OF AUTUMN TWILIGHT) to Screenplay, Mr. George Strayton. George--seeing your credentials at the Dragonlance Movie Site, you are definitely no slouch in the movie field. -Big smile- Just like the question to Karl, when was the time you got wind of the project finally coming around. And was there a pick-the-short-stick process, on who was getting to the pen the screenplay. (How crazy was it?))

George Strayton: I first heard about the project in Winter 2005. Cindi called me in NY and asked if I'd be interested in being considered to work on an adaptation of the DRAGONLANCE CHRONICLES. I was extremely excited about the prospect and enthusiastically replied, "Yes, yes, yes!" I'm sure Cindi can fill in the details, but from my perspective, I didn't hear much until around April, when I had an interview with Cindi, Steve Stabler, and Arthur Cohen. Shortly thereafter, I got the job.

George-as any fan knows (using the LOTR example), that translating from Novel to screenplay, things will be left out. The entire book cannot be brought forth to the screen (if it was possible, does anyone wants to spend 15 months or more doing that? -Laughs-) Where you a reader of the DL books for a while, long, or if not. Did you have to do some catching as a new reader? And also to finish these multi-arc questions within a question, going back to the translation part, how hard was it to pick and choose, which parts were suitable to make the film viable. And how many revisions were done, to achieve the pain-staking, long nights (and sometimes sleepless), to get the one? (Especially everything did rest on your shoulders).

George Strayton: I had read the DRAGONLANCE books since the first CHRONICLES novel was released in 1984 and I've been an avid reader of DL books ever since (not to mention playing the modules). I've been playing DUNGEONS & DRAGONS since 1979 -- currently, I have several games going at once, some of which I play in and other which I DM. With regard to the adaptation process, it was extremely difficult. I had suggested cutting the book in half and having film #1 be just the first part of DRAGONS OF AUTUMN TWILIGHT (ending after the battle with Onyx). But for various reasons, that idea was rejected and so I set to the task of condensing a 450-page novel into a 90-100-page screenplay. It was arduous, of course. I had to cut characters, scenes, and entire sequences I loved -- for example, the wicker dragon adventure. I think I've managed to get a sense of the complete story-line into the script, but it does feel rushed and to be completely honest, a slight bit forced at points. However, I'm happy overall in that, given the parameters, I turned in a final screenplay that Margaret and Tracy felt conveyed the essence of the first CHRONICLES novel.

Cindi Rice and John Frank Rosenblum (more questions for you again) are both on the Production team. Okay, lets' start with you Cindy, given your background from TSR to Hasbro, as a brand manger to entertainment agent. Why was process so long, to get this film to finally exist in print?

Cindi Rice: Honestly, that's just how this business seems to work. Hollywood moves at a glacial pace, and most deals that get "set up" never make it to the screen, or even into production. It certainly wasn't for lack of trying though. There were numerous other film deals put in place for Dragonlance over the years (even long before my involvement with the property), but they never quite seemed to get off the ground for one reason or another. This time, the pieces just seemed to fall into place much better.

Can you give a short to middle summary on the process, to help future animators to avoid such things (if that possible at all, anyway). And finally as a woman (and a possible game roleplayer, if you are) your credentials speaks of success (applauds) throughout your career. How hard is it sometimes, to make the D&D brand a more 'friendly-accepted' brand, despite the history that has followed it? (Picking your brain here)

Cindi Rice: As one of the most recognizable fantasy franchises in the world, D&D doesn't really need much help in that regard. The real challenge has been convincing Hollywood that there's a strong market for mature, gritty sword-and-sorcery material. Rather than dilute or change what D&D and its campaign worlds already offer, I'd rather find a way to capture the true essence of these brands through film.

Back to you John, speaking at Gen Con '07, on the cost (no money figure was mentioned), and what venue was selected to make the film. Live-action was out the picture, there was a mention on doing the film on one process (3D, might be wrong there), but that possible premise was rejected also. So, what the finally link to make the film with the Hand-drawing and CGI mix? At the Gen Con preview, it was clear to me, that it worked well, some fans may disagree. But the overall concern I detected, was 1st-It had to be viewable, clean (very important), 2nd, it may or may not have been commented on, but the drawings of the characters were almost the exact look, done in the novels and RPG books page/novel cover art. Thus showing a immediate recognizable face to the franchise. Done any other way, there might have been a big 'HUH?' from the general fans. And to finish your question part, do you think from a production point, will this be the standard for all future films on the DL franchise, if everything goes well?

John Frank Rosenblum: As with most entertainment projects, it will all depend on how well the final product is received by the fans. There are always a lot of factors in choosing a film's format - everything from budget/schedule to the expertise and strengths of the various parties involved, not to mention the creative origins of the project. For this particular film, the 2D/3D process was the optimal choice, but the situation may change for future expansions. This is an evolving creative process, and we're definitely not locking ourselves into any one direction.

OK-AY, the finally stretch, and yes, not one question was asked about the actors directly, sooooo…this will be a 'pick a favorite moment' on the production, dealing with the actors, when the music brought the tears, the headache times and whatever else anyone wishes to throw in.

Margaret Weis: Wow! That's hard to choose. I enjoyed working with George on the script and it was an honor to work with Will, the director, on the art. I guess my most memorable moments were spent with Karl at the recording studio in Minneapolis, where they recorded some of the music for the movie. I was privileged not only to meet Karl (and I got to help sort out the scores!), but also to meet the members of Musica Antiqua from the University of Iowa, who came with their period intstruments, horns made of horn, a dulcimer, strange looking instruments I can't pronounce and even an organ complete with pipes small enough to fit on a man's lap.

Karl Preusser: Looking back, I would have to say that my favorite moment was recording the Dragonlance 'Main Title' with Tracy Hickman sitting by my side. Equally thrilling, was recording the medieval musicians and choir in Minneapolis (my hometown), with Margaret Weis in attendance. Hearing talented musicians, finally bring the music to life, is always a composer's big payoff for the long hours of hard work... to have Tracy & Margaret there when it happened, was simply an amazing experience!

Cindi Rice: One of the funniest part of the creative process was helping the actors deal with pronunciations, especially those less familiar with Dragonlance. The words seemed so familiar to us that we couldn't believe someone else wouldn't know how to say them. Then, after teasing one of them for mispronouncing "Takhisis", Margaret corrected our pronunciation of "Bupu" (BUH´-poo, first syllable has same sound as "run"), which we had been pronouncing incorrectly as "Boopoo". Boy did we feel silly.
Ioulaum Posted - 13 Jan 2008 : 00:06:44
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

While I would rather that they not release any trailor until they had a "finished" version, I am still optimistic about the film. I will also be getting my copy.

As Sleyvas said, it can't be worse than the D&D movie that was released a few years ago.

Speaking of releases see my sig. Since this (In the Name of the King) is not actually a D&D related movie (as far as I can tell), I placed the link in my sig hoping not to make the mods come after me.

I just read a comment posted by someone who saw a advance copy of the movie. And he said the animation is as bad as the trailer suggests. Anyone who had any hope at all of the finish product being better then the trailer can throw it away.
AlorinDawn Posted - 10 Jan 2008 : 19:54:13
Jarring indeed. I can see some scribes here are under the all too apparent delusion that the folks at WotC make good decisions aimed towards their already installed customer base. I get the feeling that they are aiming at attracting an entirely new customer base with little regard to retaining the ones they have.

While I know this is off topic, I must say I'm finding more and more reason to not spend my $ on WotC products. I've got enough 1-3rd edition books to last me a lifetime of gaming. Unless 4E blows me away and WotC stops farming stuff like this out to companies with little vision of what we the fans want, I'm done supporting WotC. I'll spend my $ elsewhere.
The Red Walker Posted - 02 Jan 2008 : 22:22:23
quote:

While I would rather that they not release any trailor until they had a "finished" version, I am still optimistic about the film. I will also be getting my copy.

As Sleyvas said, it can't be worse than the D&D movie that was released a few years ago.

Speaking of releases see my sig. Since this (In the Name of the King) is not actually a D&D related movie (as far as I can tell), I placed the link in my sig hoping not to make the mods come after me.

Just looking at that page makes me mad. That would not be a half bad cast for a Dragonlance live action. I just do not understand why it never happened and they settled for what appears to be sub-standard for the times animation.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Jan 2008 : 19:21:54
Heh, In the Name of the King is a Dungeon Siege movie. Haven't played those games, but I'm thinking of seeing the movie, for kicks if nothing else.
Brynweir Posted - 31 Dec 2007 : 19:49:28

sleyvas Posted - 31 Dec 2007 : 17:33:06
Hmmm, I'm watching it... yeah, they could have done a little more shadow work to make it darker, but I wasn't unimpressed. Hell it even made me put it on order. Plus, it's gotta be better than the atrocious D&D movie they put out a few years ago. I like the name's they got involved too.
Alaundo Posted - 31 Dec 2007 : 09:54:31
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I'm watching this thinking it looks like two different movies thrown together into one trailer. I agree that the CGI stuff looks awful, but I kind of like the animation, reminds me a bit of the D&D cartoon.

Well met

Aye, it's probably just nostalgia making ye like it, Xysma I don't think it's very fitting in todays world of animation though, and must admit that when I saw this, I was very disappointed. Such a great trilogy with high exposure and importance deserves so much more.
Xysma Posted - 31 Dec 2007 : 02:58:56
I'm watching this thinking it looks like two different movies thrown together into one trailer. I agree that the CGI stuff looks awful, but I kind of like the animation, reminds me a bit of the D&D cartoon.
MerrikCale Posted - 29 Dec 2007 : 14:51:13
Somebody at WoTC must be saying to themselves, "how much does this crap cost?"
RodOdom Posted - 27 Dec 2007 : 00:51:12
What a disgusting waste ...
riot the outsider Posted - 26 Dec 2007 : 21:52:32
Well maybe it will be one of thoughs it so bad its good movies.
Renzokuken Posted - 26 Dec 2007 : 02:07:06
Yeah, that trailer is basically a Saturday morning cartoon from 1985-1989. Just throw in some horrible CG animation and there ya have it.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 21 Dec 2007 : 00:25:41
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was of a mind that any Dragonlance movie is better than no movie at all.

Is it too late to change my mind? If it really is that bad it would not only kill any future DL movies, but FR as well

I was of a similar opinion and I just hoped they wouldn't be as bad as those D&D movies . Although I am still going to watch it, I'm not holding my breath.

I will watch as well, but I have to admit I cringed when I heard "Coming soon on DVD". *Shivers as I try to recall a great movie that was straight to dvd*

There was one: "The Boondock Saints"

Amen brother! F&^% A%^&!
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 20 Dec 2007 : 07:22:15
quote:

quote:

quote:

Is it too late to change my mind? If it really is that bad it would not only kill any future DL movies, but FR as well

I was of a similar opinion and I just hoped they wouldn't be as bad as those D&D movies . Although I am still going to watch it, I'm not holding my breath.

I will watch as well, but I have to admit I cringed when I heard "Coming soon on DVD". *Shivers as I try to recall a great movie that was straight to dvd*

There was one: "The Boondock Saints"
The Red Walker Posted - 20 Dec 2007 : 00:12:26
quote:

quote:

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000