Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 How many other planes connect to the Realms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
William of Waterdeep Posted - 11 Sep 2003 : 22:45:40
I know portals have been opened to some of the other planes but are they all connected
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 07:42:02
Great Reader Arivia,

I always find it very interesting pulling these old but still relevant and important old scrolls from the dust bin, and reading things that as you said are from so far ago. That history is great, and it's even better seeing you all still here!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

I don't like what they did to the paraelemental and quasielemental planes in the D&D 3rd edition cosmology. Most everything else is mostly the same, although I like the arm-long list of variants on existing planes and optional planes. However, I hate what they did to the planes in the Forgotten Realms. I long ago relocated the Faerunian deities to their corresponding planes/layers in the core D&D cosmology. I might consider going back to the standard Realmsian layout, but only if someone created write-ups on the Realmsian planes that are equivalents of the ones in the Manual of the Planes or at least the 3.5 DMG.

It's funny seeing my own opinions from half my lifetime ago and how much they've changed! Also we got those writeups about six months later in the PGtF, past me.

Ayrik, I just wrote this article up on the 5e Fugue Plane, and it talks a bit about the 4e Fugue Plane as well (in 4e, the Fugue Plane sits in the Astral Sea as its own disconnected plane): https://icequeensthrone.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-fugue-plane-summary.html

cpthero2 Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 07:37:31
Great Reader Ayrik,

A pleasant day to you!

Even though I don't play 5e, I did some digging, and it appears that while the DMG and PHB don't address the Fugue Plane, but the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide states the following on page (20):

quote:
Most humans believe the souls of the recently deceased are spirited away to the Fugue Plane, ... The servants of the gods come to collect such souls and, if they are worthy, they are taken to their awaited afterlife in the deity's domain. Occasionally, the faithful are sent back to be reborn into the world to finish work that was left undone.

Souls that are unclaimed by the servants of the gods are judged by Kelemvor, who decides the fate of each one. Some are charged with serving as guides for other lost souls, while others are transformed into squirming larvae and cast into the dust. The truly false and faithless are mortared into the Wall of the Faithless, the great barrier that bounds the City of the Dead, where their souls slowly dissolve and begin to become part of the stuff of the Wall itself.

As far as I know, beyond the fantastic input from Great Reader Arivia, "...the Fugue Plane..." doesn't "...fit into post-3E planeslore."

I did find some great tweets from the Old Mage from last year though (admittedly they refer back to TSR days), so not necessarily relevant as the Old Mage doesn't specifically state as much, but still cool I feel.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Where does the Fugue Plane fit into post-3E planeslore?

Arivia Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 04:26:02
quote:

I don't like what they did to the paraelemental and quasielemental planes in the D&D 3rd edition cosmology. Most everything else is mostly the same, although I like the arm-long list of variants on existing planes and optional planes. However, I hate what they did to the planes in the Forgotten Realms. I long ago relocated the Faerunian deities to their corresponding planes/layers in the core D&D cosmology. I might consider going back to the standard Realmsian layout, but only if someone created write-ups on the Realmsian planes that are equivalents of the ones in the Manual of the Planes or at least the 3.5 DMG.

It's funny seeing my own opinions from half my lifetime ago and how much they've changed! Also we got those writeups about six months later in the PGtF, past me.

Ayrik, I just wrote this article up on the 5e Fugue Plane, and it talks a bit about the 4e Fugue Plane as well (in 4e, the Fugue Plane sits in the Astral Sea as its own disconnected plane): https://icequeensthrone.blogspot.com/2020/01/the-fugue-plane-summary.html
Ayrik Posted - 11 Feb 2020 : 02:26:26
Where does the Fugue Plane fit into post-3E planeslore?
cpthero2 Posted - 10 Feb 2020 : 21:16:59
Great Reader Ayrik,

I just ran across this today, and reflected back to this conversation. I have to share this, as it is pretty interesting and quite useful!

https://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1486405913488.pdf

It is a safe repository of information what I can tell and this is a 337 page agglomeration of these portals/gateways. :)

I hope you find it as interesting as I have!

Best regards,

quote:

My understanding is that the majority of gates/portals are transient or conditional. But the minority which are more permanent are generally kept secret to prevent abuses (Elminster's Worldwalk). Or they're deliberately guarded/sealed to prevent abuses (Elfgates). Or they're left open simply because they're too dangerous to approach (Ascalhorn).

There's gates/portals linking to other places, to other worlds, to other planes, to other times. There's even whole networks of them.
https://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/portals/index.shtml

cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 12:44:00
Great Reader Ayrik,

Great information. Not 100% on topic, because it involves portals of a more mundane nature, but the Underdark portals that exist at the bottom of the Sea of Fallen Stars that can be read about in that accessory are absolutely amazing to read about. It really makes that region come to life in how the undersea and underdark merge in ways that are just amazing to consider.

That just popped up into my head, so I figured I had to throw it out there. haha

Best regards,

quote:

My understanding is that the majority of gates/portals are transient or conditional. But the minority which are more permanent are generally kept secret to prevent abuses (Elminster's Worldwalk). Or they're deliberately guarded/sealed to prevent abuses (Elfgates). Or they're left open simply because they're too dangerous to approach (Ascalhorn).

There's gates/portals linking to other places, to other worlds, to other planes, to other times. There's even whole networks of them.

Ayrik Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 12:31:07

cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 12:23:11
Great Reader sleyvas,

Wow, now that is an epic source of material. I had no idea it was there. Thank you for sharing that! This is one of the many reasons I love digging back into this older but still very relevant material.

I am definitely going to get into those articles right there. I'm going to get those archived for myself as well since who knows how much longer they will be there with the avarice that WotC has for older materials.

Best regards as always!

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Good afternoon Master Sage,

I like to think I at least have a basic understanding of the Forgotten Realms, but I must admit, that planar knowledge is definitely my weakest area of study.

Regarding this initial question: have you ever heard of any finite list of portals or other similar means of transport to the planes from the Realms? In this case, disregarding options such as Plane Shift, Wish, or other forms of magic.

There is no definitive list of all the portals. Also, there is no constant for the number of portals. They're constantly being created, destroyed, or simply going dormant for centuries. Also, as the hierarchy of the planes have changed, so have the portals been "ripped" asunder. Gathering a list of them from across editions would be possibly of interest to some, but its use would be limited. It might be worthwhile to note certain portals though possibly that come into fairly constant use. That being said, at one point, Ed was writing articles for WotC about portal networks in the realms (think it was called the Perilous Gateways articles). Below is a link to Wizard's archive for such articles. Again, since the spellplague and now the sundering, many of these may no longer function.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/pg

sleyvas Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 12:17:03
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

I like to think I at least have a basic understanding of the Forgotten Realms, but I must admit, that planar knowledge is definitely my weakest area of study.

Regarding this initial question: have you ever heard of any finite list of portals or other similar means of transport to the planes from the Realms? In this case, disregarding options such as Plane Shift, Wish, or other forms of magic.

There is no definitive list of all the portals. Also, there is no constant for the number of portals. They're constantly being created, destroyed, or simply going dormant for centuries. Also, as the hierarchy of the planes have changed, so have the portals been "ripped" asunder. Gathering a list of them from across editions would be possibly of interest to some, but its use would be limited. It might be worthwhile to note certain portals though possibly that come into fairly constant use. That being said, at one point, Ed was writing articles for WotC about portal networks in the realms (think it was called the Perilous Gateways articles). Below is a link to Wizard's archive for such articles. Again, since the spellplague and now the sundering, many of these may no longer function.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/pg
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 03:38:58
Great Reader Ayrik,

I believe you were responding to me, so I'll just assume that and reply!

I am definitely familiar with planes based locations and what not. What I should have clarified is my lack of knowledge into the deeper science aspects, i.e. how the magic works, why it works that way, how the planes relate and function in a deep manner. As opposed to simply the mechanisms, I like focusing on the sociological, psychological, economic, legal, and other such aspects. You are correct though as well, regarding the economic opportunity cost of reading on the planes. I am not willing to exchange epic Realms reading for the planes stuff. Moar Realms.....

As always, thank you for your well thought out reply.

Best regards,

quote:

Realmslore describes some mechanisms for reaching the planes - the World Serpent Inn, the Infinite Staircase, etc. Alongside countless gates, portals, pools, wells, and other linkages.
If you're reading/playing Realms-based campaigns then you'll find descriptors based on the Realms perspective - all the Realmslore describes these gates/etc in the context of who/what is on the "other" side and who/what travels through - they assume travellers will want to return home.

But some of these conduits are parts of larger (or infinite) constructs in Planescape and some are just "typical" examples of convenient or inconvenient cosmic litter.
If you're reading/playing Planescape-based campaigns then you'll get all the planeslore from the perspective of savvy planeswalkers - who consider the Realms only one of countless mudball Primes hardly interesting enough to visit, assuming they even know of the Realms at all - the Realms is, at best, only one stopping point on an endless journey.

The more focus you put on other planes/worlds, the less focus you'll put on the Realms, lol.

Ayrik Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 02:18:43
Realmslore describes some mechanisms for reaching the planes - the World Serpent Inn, the Infinite Staircase, etc. Alongside countless gates, portals, pools, wells, and other linkages.
If you're reading/playing Realms-based campaigns then you'll find descriptors based on the Realms perspective - all the Realmslore describes these gates/etc in the context of who/what is on the "other" side and who/what travels through - they assume travellers will want to return home.

But some of these conduits are parts of larger (or infinite) constructs in Planescape and some are just "typical" examples of convenient or inconvenient cosmic litter.
If you're reading/playing Planescape-based campaigns then you'll get all the planeslore from the perspective of savvy planeswalkers - who consider the Realms only one of countless mudball Primes hardly interesting enough to visit, assuming they even know of the Realms at all - the Realms is, at best, only one stopping point on an endless journey.

The more focus you put on other planes/worlds, the less focus you'll put on the Realms, lol.
cpthero2 Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 23:41:04

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You could probably still contribute to the Far Realms discussion William. Given the chaotic and undisciplined nature of the 'plane', anything is possible.

Also, the Far Realms are mentioned in other 3e materials, they are small mentions yes, but they are there. Just look for them.

William of Waterdeep Posted - 11 Oct 2003 : 16:43:51
(*The statement below is a joke*)
More planes connect than you might think.I called Delta Airlines and asked them if they went to Castle Greyhawk from Waterdeep.I was assured that I could go anywhere I wanted with complete comfort and
saftey.LOL <--(you may have to be from the U.S.A to get that.)

On the serious side....The night Hag from the Grey waste is Ravel Puzzelwell. A great portal with other portals that you berks may wish
to look at. http://www.deathwyrminn.com/
William of Waterdeep Posted - 25 Sep 2003 : 23:15:21
Thanks Cult_Leader,Guess if I ever go with 3e then I will have to look into the magic cube.So its a portable portal!!! What will those wizards think of next.Actually reminds me of something like that used in PS Torment pc game.To go see the Grey hag....forgot her name.I remember her question.
"What can change the nature of a man?"
Cult_Leader Posted - 22 Sep 2003 : 14:53:53
Yes. 3rd and second both have ways to cross planes and such. In 3rd if you look at the magical items you will find a cube. This cube can save links to other realms. Nifty huh? Not only this but it is easy to make a plane hopping game, why? Because there is magic in the world of D&D. Yep. Magic.*Many ooo's and ahhh's*

Now first Iw ill point out the six sides cube hehe. *Flips out a lich lazer and points it at all six sides of the cube* Each one can open a gate way to a plane that you or it's past oner has been to. THis can be dangerous or useful, THink about it, you can make portals to Hell ( the level on which Devils are thank you veery much, the rest of them are not LE ), Anyway, Then leave one open to mount celestiral or celstriest, depending on what your DM wants to call it lol. Put up signs that say, Pay toll of one gold to enter Celest. Or pay one gold to enter Hell. Hey their are natural enimies who are LG and LE. They will pay the tool to use your portal. * More ooo's and ahhh's* Not only that but they only stay dead if they are kiled on their home plain hehehe... So some of your "customers" will be back again once or twice. Anyway, someone gets mad a you, Click on your cube and BAMPH... your in a new dimension and realm. Just like that. And its not random. Hey you might even find a place known only as Pillow Palace for all I know. Its happened..... A giant Realm of Pillow Talk. . Not that I wanted any part of it caus eit was ran by a red dragon.... Who used to be the leader of darksun. Yeah ... that means he is a high level wizard.... *shivers* Anyway. This just goes to show that you cna pull off realm hopping no matter what.

In second edition in a game I was in, We used a Magial map and watch we had found to jump from realm to realm. Nice game. Try something like it some time.
Fibura Gauntlet Posted - 22 Sep 2003 : 11:36:59
As I recall, the 2e adventure For Duty and Deity took the PCs to the Abyss via the Infinite/Celestial Staircase. I think it was an attempt to lure more players out onto the Planes

You can download it for free from the WotC site.

Out of date now, of course, but interesting nonetheless
William of Waterdeep Posted - 21 Sep 2003 : 19:18:12
Well I look at it this way...Arivia,I wasted a lot of my life with lets say undesirable habits and traits.So continue to focus on D&D,
there people who will tell you its bad but those people don't know bad.I could write a true life adventure using myself as the charactor
but I am ashamed of my past and would rather it stay that way.
(remember Valygar in BG2 asking you I people could trully
change.I am a living example of changing for the better)

I admire you because I believe you will follow a better path than I did.So keep up the good work my friend,I for one am proud to call you
my friend.
Arivia Posted - 21 Sep 2003 : 04:03:59
Wow...I've never been admired before...feels good...*snaps out of weird trance* All the benefits of playing D&D for half my life, literally...I love them...
William of Waterdeep Posted - 21 Sep 2003 : 03:51:02
quote:

I've got some bad news. The list in question for some reason has disappeared, which means I have to troll through some old campaign logs and the like to recompile it. I'll still do it, but the wait will be longer. Sorry about the delay, William.

Oh I'm mad now...he he ha. Its no problem, I am thankful that you are willing to do it.Take your time,no need to rush.When you get it compiled then send it to me, I'll be at the same adress.

The compliment is the truth. I like to give flowers to the living.I admire you because you deserve it.
Arivia Posted - 21 Sep 2003 : 00:31:35
I've got some bad news. The list in question for some reason has disappeared, which means I have to troll through some old campaign logs and the like to recompile it. I'll still do it, but the wait will be longer. Sorry about the delay, William.
Arivia Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 23:00:33
Thanks for the compliments.
William of Waterdeep Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 22:39:07
Thank you,I am grateful for your help.I realize that you are very well
up to date and highly knowledgable with D&D ,not just The Forgotten
Realms.I am amazed that one so young is so knowledgable and bow before
you with respect.Keep up the good work!!!
Arivia Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 22:28:56
It should take about an hour.
William of Waterdeep Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 22:25:04
Arivia,Yes thanks. That would be most appreciated.
My email is the one I use for Candlekeep but I will give it to you
so you can upload files to me.... willtim@Catt.com
Arivia Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 22:13:46
Yes, it has. Currently, according to the Manual of the Planes, no deities make their home on Hades. Shar and Mask have made their home on the Shadow Plane, while Cyric rules The Supreme Throne. If you want to, I can send you a list of where I've moved the FR deities to on the Great Wheel.
William of Waterdeep Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 21:53:22
Must be nice to have a job that allows time to go the forums.
Just messing with ya Sage!!! ON the serious side...I have a poster with the original factions on one side and "The Powers by Plane",
on the other side. Many of the deities are from Toril.For example*The Grey Waste:Cyric,Mask,and Shar are named.I'm am guessing that this
too has changed with 3e.
The Sage Posted - 20 Sep 2003 : 06:32:37
I am at work at the moment, so I will see about posting some other examples later tonight, or if not then, tomorrow.

William of Waterdeep Posted - 19 Sep 2003 : 18:54:01
Sage of Perth(QUOTE:)
There are a number of other possibilities, but they are not canon, and therefore unofficial. I could list a few if anybody is interested, I just need to access my archives.

William replies:

Please do Sage!!! I think you are like Spock on StarTrek,your posts
are very good and If not canon it probably should be.
The Sage Posted - 19 Sep 2003 : 08:49:32
Actually Arivia, that is pretty much all correct .

As a matter of note, the 3e FR cosmology has never had any basis in my FR campaigns. I have always used the planar cosmology first outlined in the 1e DMG, and 1e MotP. Of course the material was expanded upon with 2e, and then the whole 'Spelljammer/Crystal Sphere/Planescape' cosmology amalgamated the entire AD&D multiverse into a unique whole. That made things easier to run when adventures and campaigns crossed over between different campaign settings.

Unique events in the separate campaign settings sometimes nullified this connection though. For example, refer to the Chaos War and 'loss' of Krynn to the standard mulitverse cosmology, or the inability to access Athasspace from the Flow.

All the campaigns that I have run and will run all use the modified 3e PS cosmology as presented in 3e MotP. This will likely change with the 3e PSCS, but until that time I am happy to use the tools that are available at the moment.

Cardinal Deimos said -
quote:
We Know Sigil can fo sure (?) and from there we can access others
Is that the Just of it? Oh and I believe it was Bookwyrm who also mentioned the celestial staircase right? I mentioned my own inane babble rants, and... I think the Ethereal and Astral
There are a number of other possibilities, but they are not canon, and therefore unofficial. I could list a few if anybody is interested, I just need to access my archives.

William of Waterdeep Posted - 19 Sep 2003 : 08:03:29
I think I understand.Although I may only think I do.But because Forgotten Realms is 3e and Planescape and some of the others are still
waiting on 3e they split them because of rule differances.If I am correct then will 3.5 widen this.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000