Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Which familiar do you prefer for your wizard?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Matthus Posted - 06 Jul 2007 : 13:14:07
Just a curious question: Which familiar do you prefer for your wizard?

As being DM for many years now, it seems to me, that only some of choices from the list are really interesting for my players – nobody ever summoned a lizard in my adventures .

Are you waiting for the advanced option that you can get with the selection of the feat Improved Familiar from the Player’s Guide to Faerun?

Is there something that any wizard should think of when creating the bond?

How do your PC transport his familiar? Always a deep pocket?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ilmarinnen Posted - 04 Dec 2013 : 13:03:02
Noone summons familiars now!

The risk to lose 200XP/level frightens them too much.
In my games none of 7 PC wizards did.
And 6 of them were conjurers with Abrupt jaunt option (PHB2).
Kusghuul Posted - 27 Nov 2013 : 13:21:51
Tressym <3
The Arcanamach Posted - 18 Nov 2013 : 00:09:58
Advanced/Other. I don't normally use familiars but when I do I generally prefer something exotic.
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 22:52:36
If I were to have a familiar, it would definitely be a bat. I love bats.
Dennis Posted - 11 Mar 2012 : 05:58:37

I've read a number of novels whose main characters are not humans, and I loved some of them. It's not merely the cast's humanity, or lack thereof that makes me grab a book. There are so many factors. Though, I must admit, I don't usually read that type. Specially the very 'elfy' ones.
Warrax Posted - 08 Mar 2012 : 05:26:31
There's no shame in being human, but there is shame in excessive bias against non-human sapient races! :p

Naughty Dennis!

But really, as I said, it's all in how you read it. If you choose to be disinterested because the mains aren't human, that's cool, that's one POV and there is plenty of material out there for you to read instead. Personally, I happen to think it was an intriguing take and a new perspective that was refreshing for me to read, but that's because I read into it specific details that may or may not have even been intentional. :D
Dennis Posted - 08 Mar 2012 : 05:02:23

I'm humanocentric. There's no shame in that. I'm a human being, in the first place. Are you ashamed of being human?

Lackey's books are fine for a quick read. I did like some of her characters too, specially those that, for whatever reason, she chose to kill off.
Warrax Posted - 08 Mar 2012 : 04:55:11
That's somewhat humanocentric and speciesist of you, Dennis. For shame. :D

Still, that's cool; not everyone can appreciate what those stories were about, which was shifting the focus away from people to another perspective. The whole idea was to explore the restrictions of a created race under the thumb of a wizard, and the contrast between the benevolent wizard (Urtho) and the malevolent one (Ma'ar). If you read it from a certain point of view, there's a great deal of discourse beneath the surface of the plot.

Meantime, the griffons are not overpowered. They are sapient. Consequently, they have strengths and weaknesses concurrent with what you might expect from other sapient races, like a human who is capable of fashioning an entire race of sapient beings... whom you apparently do not consider overpowered. :D

It's all good, man, it's all point of view. Like anything, you have to read it in a certain frame of mind to appreciate it, and sometimes that's not the experience you're seeking when you get into a story, so it isn't as much fun for one person as the next.
Dennis Posted - 08 Mar 2012 : 04:10:43
quote:
Originally posted by Warrax

The story isn't all that super-remarkable (unless you're under 13, which I was, in which case it was awesome). But the treatment of gryphons was really interesting because they were described as sentient, rather than the typical ornery, dim creatures we find in DND. They were sentient, free-thinking individuals, some were spell-casters, others scouts, warriors, etc. They were a whole separate sapient race created by the wizard Urtho, and I thought it was an intriguing and different take on the race.

Though I don't dislike Lackey's books, (I've read a few), I think her griffons are just a bit overpowered. I like animals/magical creatures as supporting characters, not as main ones.
Lord Karsus Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 18:59:51
quote:

It includes the Expanded Psionics Handbook, a bunch of monster stuff, the core books, the epic level handbook, Unearthed Arcana... at least those. I don't think there's anything besides that, though, certainly nothing from the Complete Books or any of the Tome-type supplements, nor the Heroes of series.

-Hmm, maybe it's in [i]Unearthed Arcana[i/]. While I do have that book, it's only in digital form, so maybe I've overlooked it in the couple of times I've scrolled through it.
Warrax Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 04:46:51
The story isn't all that super-remarkable (unless you're under 13, which I was, in which case it was awesome). But the treatment of gryphons was really interesting because they were described as sentient, rather than the typical ornery, dim creatures we find in DND. They were sentient, free-thinking individuals, some were spell-casters, others scouts, warriors, etc. They were a whole separate sapient race created by the wizard Urtho, and I thought it was an intriguing and different take on the race.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 04:44:33
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Also, gryphons/griffons were done the best by Mercedes Lackey in the Mage Wars series. :D

Tell that to Wooly!

In some cultures, such words would be cause for a duel.

Seriously, my dislike for Mercedes Lackey knows no bounds.
Warrax Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 03:07:34
Send Wooly down!
Dennis Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 03:01:26
quote:

Also, gryphons/griffons were done the best by Mercedes Lackey in the Mage Wars series. :D

Tell that to Wooly!
Warrax Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:52:05
Warrax Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:51:13
I rather enjoyed the series. I call it "junk food fiction," because it was far from a literary masterpiece... but then again, literature is usually boring as it gets because it's too wrapped up in academic structure to be busy with good story.

The first one was kind of cliche and not so great, but it established the basic connection between the characters. The second story, I thought, was interesting. There was a fiend manipulating a power-crazed wizard, an artifact connected to an evil deity, classic heroes with a twist, I mean it's all there, especially with Miltiades. It's an iconic fantasy story. Pool of Twilight was kind of interesting for the whole spooky factor and the chance to see everyone like two decades later. The degradation of Phlan, the changes in the region, it's all there. I loved them. :D

Of course, I read them at a rather formative age, so they hold a special place in my heart, but that's the way things work. I read Making of a Mage not long after. Well, it was a bit after, because Pool of Radiance came out in 89, Darkness in 92 and Twilight a year after. Making of a Mage was 94. Anyway, dates are inconsequential; it was an entertaining ride, it was never meant to be Dickens or Dostoyevsky.
Dennis Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:32:27
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

Who has had the most extreme familiar?

As I recall, in one of the Pools novels, the spellslinger had a familiar that was some sort of big cat that turned into a human swordswinger.

I shan't say what kind of "extreme" I think that qualifies as.

That'd be Evaine and yes, her familiar typically held the form of a large mountain lion or maybe a sabre-toothed cat and could take human form. Gamaliel. Human average intelligence, some kind of telepathic link... Totally irregular and mary sue-ish but he was an intriguing character and the interactions between the two were interesting.

That's one of the very few things I did not hate about that very disappointing (understatement of the century) book. He wasn't a lion, but a sabre-toothed cat quite large for its kind.

IMO, Jet (Aoth's griffon) is the most interesting and coolest familiar that ever appeared in novels. Intelligent, fierce, has a sense of humor, and can fly. What more can you ask for?
Warrax Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:28:01
Oh right, that's true.
Imp Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:25:06
Also a little from Deities & Demigods. At least the basics.
Warrax Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 02:02:36
It includes the Expanded Psionics Handbook, a bunch of monster stuff, the core books, the epic level handbook, Unearthed Arcana... at least those. I don't think there's anything besides that, though, certainly nothing from the Complete Books or any of the Tome-type supplements, nor the Heroes of series.
Lord Karsus Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 01:57:08
-How much stuff is in the SRD that isn't actually in any of the core rulebooks, or Unearthed Arcana? I always thought the SRD was basically just that stuff (minus a few things WotC wanted to keep to themselves) written up online.
Imp Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 01:36:59
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-What book(s) is that from?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm
Ayrik Posted - 07 Mar 2012 : 01:27:01
Vizier's Turbans were highly desirable in 2E, at least in Zakhara (Al-Qadim) settings. I think they served more like 3E familiars, that is, if they died you'd lose their bonuses but wouldn't otherwise suffer permanent crippling penalties.
Warrax Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 23:38:25
You can find all the requisite information in the SRD.
Lord Karsus Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 23:36:10
-What book(s) is that from?
Warrax Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 22:58:49
Yeah, neat concept, eh? It's kind of like a back-scaled intelligent weapon, one that grows in power and sentience over time. Need to be 3rd level to do it, and they don't necessarily begin intelligent, but transform as such over time as the user increases in power and experience. They gain sapience as the character hits 7th level. The item then rolls at a 10/10/12 (arranged as you like across INT, WIS, CHA) level and gains an Ego score, though unlike traditional intelligent items, it is utterly loyal to its owner/wielder unless there's something weird, like a radical alignment shift or possession, domination, etc. It can see and hear in a 60' radius, and if you don't have it already, you snake the Alertness feat while you have the item with you. Communications-wise, it's limited to emotions and impulses at that point. Kind of like the way Thomas Miller portrays Blackrazor in the peldor.com stories, similar to the way R.A. Salvatore conveys the manipulations of the Crystal Shard. Just those silent compulsions, feelings of fear, etc. At levels 10, 14, 18 (and really, every 4 levels after 10), it gains a special ability, and there's a long list of such things. You might go for improved senses or sapience or a variety of other powers.

Increased sapience is boss:

quote:
An item familiar empowered with this special ability gains +4 to any single ability score and +2 to its other two scores. The item can now communicate telepathically in a recognizable language with the master out to 120 feet and can speak audibly in Common. It can speak, read, and understand one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. A character may select this special ability multiple times, each time improving all three of the item’s ability scores and increasing the number of languages it can speak, read, and understand.

That makes it into a relatively valuable ally, even if its mobility is nothing like a conventional familiar because it is, in fact, an inanimate object with legs, wings or anything similar.

You can grab any of the special powers from the intelligent weapons table, including special purpose and it makes for a pretty awesome time. I LOVE item familiars.
Lord Karsus Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 22:50:51
quote:

And that doesn't even touch upon item familiars. There are definitely options that make for an improved gaming experience if you've avoided familiars because they were so squishy.

-Item familiars? This intrigues me...
Warrax Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 21:31:17
Yeah, there are feats and other things you can do in order to wield beefier familiars that aren't as easy to splatter. And there is a concurrent increase in their utility as well. Good times. The whole premise was to make them a little more varied and more mechanically useful as well, a better trade-off for what their vulnerability costs a mage.

Improved familiars, just for a quick look, can include (off of the base feat) shocker lizards, stirges, formian workers, imps, quasists, pseudodragons, celestial hawks, fiendish vipers, even small elementals. And all of those are base ideas; in principle, a DM could riff off of those to use other, similarly-powered options.

And that doesn't even touch upon item familiars. There are definitely options that make for an improved gaming experience if you've avoided familiars because they were so squishy.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 21:21:32
quote:

-Am I in the extreme, weird minority for having played a bunch of magicians, but never summoning a familiar? They provide eh bonuses and handy abilities most of the time, but I always see them as baggage.

I think in 3.X, the limitations became fewer and the benefits better. There are various ways to improve familiars, too -- I recall a series of spells for doing that in 2E (presented in Dragon) and I'm fairly certain 3.x had a similar mechanism.
Bakra Posted - 06 Mar 2012 : 21:07:35
quote:

-Am I in the extreme, weird minority for having played a bunch of magicians, but never summoning a familiar? They provide eh bonuses and handy abilities most of the time, but I always see them as baggage.

Nope. I knew a few people who never summoned a familiar. I never really considered the familiar a burden....my characters on the other hand viewed them as baggage or their best friends.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000