Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Malyk, former underdark deity, any info?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jun 2007 : 16:52:54
In F&A its noted that Talos has taken on the alias of Malyk and is using it to try to obtain the portfolio of wild and destructive magic. I bought and downloaded F&A to do a text search, and I couldn't find any other references to him. I know something somewhere was written (or I have that nasty itch that something was written). I get the feeling that deity was created "after" he was already dead, but I wonder if there's any follow through in any books. Any pointers?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 28 Feb 2020 : 21:51:20
Master TBeholder,

Did you ever find out if that was the case? I looked and couldn't find anything about that.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Wasn't there also something about the Seldarine using thinly veiled aliases exactly the same way?
So it's just a method of bypassing "it's a god of X" limitations and language barriers.

TBeholder Posted - 15 Dec 2018 : 06:45:59
Wasn't there also something about the Seldarine using thinly veiled aliases exactly the same way?
So it's just a method of bypassing "it's a god of X" limitations and language barriers.
OliverWyvernspur Posted - 15 Dec 2018 : 01:56:48
Malyk is not as small as you think. Not THAT powerful, at Demigod now. He ruled the Daggerlands I believe as near the Dales, but was again slain by someone of his own house, some great hero. No yeah, Malyk is extremely capable, but not that powerful. His power would lie in his portfilios, Destruction (Tempest) and Trickery, but he just uses them masterfully. Like they say, use what you got. He is Unalighned now and pure evil, but Lawful, something Torm did made him Lawful. His is a story of equally many successes and failures, which is admirable.
sleyvas Posted - 20 Jun 2007 : 16:04:44
Thanks Eric. I got an interesting idea after reading about the Cult of Malyk and the guardian's tear. Nothing says how the Shamathan drow lich ascended to divinity. I'm wondering if he didn't use the guardian's tear as a phylactery in turning into a lich, possibly with instruction from Talos. This would explain his "stealing some of Mystra's Power" as the artifact was created at the spot where the old Mystra was destroyed. The mysterious mage wildstorm.... maybe an avatar of Talos assigned to protect the artifact since its helping "fuel" this divine aspect? As always, speculation is its own reward.
ericlboyd Posted - 19 Jun 2007 : 21:29:26
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Yeah, nothing was in F&P either, but I did not think to look in the underdark guide. Thank you.

Hmmm, gathering from this then that the mortal Malyk was either

A) entirely a hoax, and Talos created the Alias whole cloth
B) he was a real individual that ascended with Talos' help similar to Velsharoon and was subsequently squelched (perhaps becoming a lich as a part of his ascension?) by Talos similar to how he is said to have burned out other demipowers
C) he ascended on his own, and Talos slew him.

Hmmm, I like option B, but let me see if I can find more.

The original reference is from either Menzoberranzan or the Avatar modules. Can't remember which. I took that small reference and did a full write-up in Polyhedron as part of the Forgotten Deities columns. Then I put it into F&A, as an alias for Talos, and DDGttU.

--Eric
sleyvas Posted - 19 Jun 2007 : 21:23:46
Yeah, nothing was in F&P either, but I did not think to look in the underdark guide. Thank you.

Hmmm, gathering from this then that the mortal Malyk was either

A) entirely a hoax, and Talos created the Alias whole cloth
B) he was a real individual that ascended with Talos' help similar to Velsharoon and was subsequently squelched (perhaps becoming a lich as a part of his ascension?) by Talos similar to how he is said to have burned out other demipowers
C) he ascended on his own, and Talos slew him.

Hmmm, I like option B, but let me see if I can find more.
Fillow Posted - 19 Jun 2007 : 20:17:24
Maybe a stupid idea but did you search in Faith & Pantheons ?

Finally, I found that on the web, it's part of the Drizzt guide to the underdark , 1999 :
quote:
The Cult of Malyk
The Cult of Malyk purports to revere a divine entity whose faith first appeared in the Underdark after the Time of Troubles. Malyk, secretly an aspect of Talos, is said to be the god of wild, evil magic and rebellion. Followers claim that their god was an aged, powerful Sshamathan drow lich who stole some of Mystra's power when he stumbled across a powerful wild magic region in the Underdark beneath Castle Crag. Since the Conclave of Sshamath banned wild magic long ago, wild magic practitioners have chafed under the rule of the city's schools of wizardry.
Several years after the Fall of the Gods, the Cult of Malyk scored its greatest coup against the Conclave by capturing the Guardian's Tear, a powerful relic created by Helm. This massive king's tear is fashioned from raw magic that spins off "bubbles" of wild and dead magic. When a half dozen wild mages of the Cult of Malyk relocated the Guardian's Tear to Sshamath, chaos predictably ensued. For months, magical research and fabrication were severely disrupted by spheres of wild and dead magic drifting undetected throughout the city.
Eventually the Conclave of Sshamath, exhibiting rare unanimity, drove the followers of Malyk into the surrounding Underdark along with the Guardian's Tear they had come to revere. Nevertheless, zones of wild and dead magic, while rare, continue to plague the city, sometimes destroying years of effort and research. This has greatly impacted the availability of many items traditionally offered for sale in the Dark Weavings Bazaar. Rumors of the cult's continued activities suggest that the threat has not yet abated.
At present, the Cult of Malyk is led by a mysterious wizard known only as the Wildstorm (CE male drow WM 19). Seventeen wild mages serve as the sect's clergy. The Shrine of the Weavetear may be found nearly anywhere in the environs of Sshamath, or even in the city itself, as the relic is said to be located wherever the Guardian's Tear hovers and spins.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000