Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Drow: What is Weakness?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gwenfloor Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 02:22:38
It has been repeatedly affirmed that Drow, throughout the multiple campaign settings, kill off the weak in their society to be stronger.
As for Faerun's Drow, what is their definition of weakness? Anyone with a physical and/or mental defect?
What about those whose weakness' are overshadowed by skill and experience, such as a one-armed soldier who can still fight with a rapier in one hand, even better than most other Drow, or a blind Wizard with super-human(or super-Drow) hearing? And what of Spiders, the most blessed creatures of Lolth? Are spiders in the pen that are born with birth defects killed, or are spiders too sacred to lay a hand upon?
I would assume that since Drow are almost never united, I would assume that a Menzoberranzan Drow's interpretation of weakness would be different than a Cormanthor Drows. But since all their high priests can cast Commune and get the answers straight from the deities, would the definitions remain fairly constant? Or am I just over-estimating the wisdom of the Drow?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kentinal Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:58:35
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I don't know if my post is being addressed or not, but my point was that "ugly" doesn't necessarily mean "deformed". I was specifically responding to this statement:

quote:
Ugly leaders need to overcome their deformities to have any aceptance in Drow society (but Ugly in any society faces that problem).

*sighs* Word useage and meanings.

Many considered a deformity is by being ugly in view to others of society they live in. This does not mean a missing limb or other direct disablity. There is a great outcry in the US about people seeking to be thinner then healthy because that is pretty, on the otherside there is a great outcry against people overweight. Some call both ugly. I was ugly because of the way I speak, still might be to some but if so they are not required to interact with ma - school is out.

A deformity in any form would also get classified as ugly, does not look like a true Drow. A plain looking Drow would be less ugly but in a world where everything counts, looking pleasing clearly is an advantage. Looks and/or body damage can be overcomed, howevre it clearly in the culture less likely.

You need to look good to advance (unless you can bring other skills to make up for the lack), also good at guarding your back (front, side, top and bottom).
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:57:57
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:

I don't know if my post is being addressed or not, but my point was that "ugly" doesn't necessarily mean "deformed". I was specifically responding to this statement:

quote:
Ugly leaders need to overcome their deformities to have any aceptance in Drow society (but Ugly in any society faces that problem).

Actually I was citing Shakti to support your point.

Understood. :) Thank you.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:49:30
quote:

quote:

Actually I was citing Shakti to support your point.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:38:06

quote:

Kentinal Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:34:45
Can not place hand right now on 2nd Edition source book, however it appeared clear that deformed were killed to me.

Also on course was throwing the children into a room with enough food to feed half of them. Survival of the fittest in very raw terms.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:28:11
I can't remember the specific sources, but I do seem to remember that any physical defomities (i.e. missing limbs, blindness, deafness, and the like) is cause for a drow child to be killed, and I seem to remember Shakti from the Starlight and Shadows books was constantly worried that other drow would find out that she had bad eyesight. She was also noted as being a bit chubby and not particularly attractive, but she didn't seem to worry that that would get her killed.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 23:22:26
Since when does "ugly" equal "deformed"? It could just be "plain" or "homely". I also recall reading numerous times that Triel Baenre isn't especially beautiful (though not "ugly" either), yet she's managed to stay on top.

Anyway, I agree that there's probably no straight answer for this (and I'd bet each drow has their own ideas about what weaknesses are more irritating and/or are worthy of death), but personally I always took it to mean "whoever doesn't survive was weak".
Marquant Volker Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 16:21:10
Let us not forget they are still elves, and beauty is an important factor in elven society.

Another weakness is the lack of racial abilities that all drow should have, like casting darkness or have spell ressistance

Another trait a drow should have is intelligence, so he can make his own maschinations (spelling?) and understand those of his enemies, that way he can climp up the the power/social status ladder. I believe stupid drow are been used by their kin and die early

Kentinal Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 05:21:00
quote:
Originally posted by Gwenfloor

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

For the children there appears to be a srandard to distroy those that clearly are expected not to have beauty or are born impaired.

So what is their reason for seeing ugly Drow as weak? They can probably be just as cunning and powerful, or is it some sort of prejudice "Ugly people can't be strong leaders!" type?

In some ways you have an answer already, but to expand.

Every society has standards of whom the respect more then another. It could be hair color it could be deciding factor, etc.

"We have standards to maintain"

In part the way the rules are and in part the way real people act as a group.
Darkmeer Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 04:48:17
Drow Weakness is threefold:

Beauty: A drow is supposed to be beautiful in some manner. Whether that be physically attractive or have an elegant blade be up to a particular drow enclave.

Cold-heartedness: Drow kill without remorse. Those that have remorse and speak a few words over the body are likely to lay down over the corpse as a corpse. Remember that Death by Natural Causes law: A knife to the heart naturally kills someone. No further investigation, unless there's a witness (and the smart drow don't see a thing).

Power: For the priestesses, being a matron mother of a house. For the "normal" drow, it's possessing skills that cannot be matched elsewhere. This can, again, be swordplay, wizardly might, or even social networking that actually might work (hard to tell in drow society). Intimidation fits in here very well (I'd even argue that drow from the underdark should always have intimidate as a class skill if I were doing rule-rewrites).

I could go on about being cunning, quick and quiet, and other things as well, but the drow just seem to hold those three things in highest regard.

/d

P.S. I thought drow hated red shirts, not socks. There goes my cleric of Lathander...
Gwenfloor Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 04:29:11
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

For the children there appears to be a srandard to distroy those that clearly are expected not to have beauty or are born impaired.

So what is their reason for seeing ugly Drow as weak? They can probably be just as cunning and powerful, or is it some sort of prejudice "Ugly people can't be strong leaders!" type?
MerrikCale Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 03:30:26
quote:
Originally posted by Gwenfloor

As for Faerun's Drow, what is their definition of weakness? Anyone with a physical and/or mental defect?

They destroy any who are Red Sox fans
Kentinal Posted - 12 Jun 2007 : 02:31:30
The weak in Lolth society are those that die, failure to survive.

In Ed's vission which I believe is canon deities send dreams to their clerics, the dogma does not change much from city to city. As long as Lolth is the dominate religion most of the Drow will lack the wisdom to follow another deity.

As for spiders off hand I expect they are allowed to live or die without help of the Drow, the Driders can take care of that.

The basic rule in Lolthian society is to gather power, if a Drow has only one arm and no legs survives and gains rank that is all that is expected.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000