Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Encyclopedia Acrana

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Grandmaster Kane Posted - 07 Apr 2007 : 03:52:18
i was reading my copy of Netheril: Empire of magic

when i realized that i really wanted to know the descriptiions of Level 10+ magic

does anybody know any?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
warlockco Posted - 13 Apr 2007 : 22:06:36
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

I think the old Tome of Magic from 2E had some 10th level spells, and I think the Dark Sun setting had a few too.

Sorry to butt in, but I cant remember 10th level spells from the Tome of Magic. You might be thinking of the priests quest spells? These had (as I remember) effects far above those of common magic, but were only given by the gods for specific tasks.

Yeah I guess it was the Quest Spells.
Tacitus Posted - 13 Apr 2007 : 21:13:34
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I think the old Tome of Magic from 2E had some 10th level spells, and I think the Dark Sun setting had a few too.

I don't know about Dark Sun, but I just checked the Tome of Magic -- no 10th level spells.

Dark Sun did indeed have tenth-level spells. They were detailed in the Dragon Kings rules supplement. Though several of them only makes sense in the context of Athas' unique magic system, and would require a little work to convert to a Realms campaign.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Apr 2007 : 17:21:24
quote:

I don't know about Dark Sun, but I just checked the Tome of Magic -- no 10th level spells.
Jorkens Posted - 13 Apr 2007 : 17:20:15
quote:

Sorry to butt in, but I cant remember 10th level spells from the Tome of Magic. You might be thinking of the priests quest spells? These had (as I remember) effects far above those of common magic, but were only given by the gods for specific tasks.
warlockco Posted - 13 Apr 2007 : 15:40:29
Daviot Posted - 13 Apr 2007 : 11:10:29
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Hmmm... I am not 100% sure, but I seem to recall that all the 10th level spells were retconned into DC 100+ Epic Spells? Or were these spells (published in at least LEoF) only Epic Magic "sort-of-equivalent-spells" if someone wants to recreate "lesser" versions of the 10th level original spells?

The gist that I got was that the various Netherese-era archwizards remade their 10th+ spells as epic spells once Mystra's ban was in effect. And said spells were less efficient and more difficult in their epic versions than they had been in their 10th or 11th level versions.
Asgetrion Posted - 07 Apr 2007 : 21:45:23
Hmmm... I am not 100% sure, but I seem to recall that all the 10th level spells were retconned into DC 100+ Epic Spells? Or were these spells (published in at least LEoF) only Epic Magic "sort-of-equivalent-spells" if someone wants to recreate "lesser" versions of the 10th level original spells?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Apr 2007 : 20:20:51
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

i seem to remember that Karsus's Avatar is noted as being the first (and only) 13'th level spell

12th, not 13th.
Sian Posted - 07 Apr 2007 : 19:13:36
i seem to remember that Karsus's Avatar is noted as being the first (and only) 13'th level spell
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 07 Apr 2007 : 19:11:12
quote:
Originally posted by Grandmaster Kane

i was reading my copy of Netheril: Empire of magic

when i realized that i really wanted to know the descriptiions of Level 10+ magic

does anybody know any?

They are described in the boxed set. There were only a few of them of which we know, such as Iolaum's Longevity (which only one living person has ever cast, but which cannot be cast any more) Proctiv's Move Mountain, Karsus's Avatar (which may have been the highest level spell ever created on Toril), and I think Tolodine's Killing Wind,. For really high level ancient spells, one might want to look elsewhere than Netheril or the savage Elvish empires. Check out Serpent Kingdoms for the "real" history of the so-called "Nether Scrolls," and you might begin to suspect that the highest level spells were created long before the Elves ever arrived on Toril.

If you want non-Realms high-level spells, look for an old Mayfair Games boxed set called "Archwizardry" or something like that.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000