Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dragon #355

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kuje Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 03:54:36
I bring this up because awhile back, about a month ago, we were discussing the old male medusa types, the maedar. Well, they are being updated in this issue.

This issue also has a Volo's about demon cults.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
warlockco Posted - 26 Apr 2007 : 19:44:02
Will need to hit my game store, got a message while I was in Arizona about a Dragon issue being in, hopefully it is this one.
Nighttfall Posted - 26 Apr 2007 : 12:06:07
Just for future reference, I bugged Eric about this and then I bugged the other Erik too.

We'll see if I got my hopes up or not...
BOZ Posted - 16 Apr 2007 : 21:43:42
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I bring this up because awhile back, about a month ago, we were discussing the old male medusa types, the maedar. Well, they are being updated in this issue.

enjoy! :) we also converted the cave fisher, obliviax, and scarecrow for this issue. :)
Baroth Posted - 15 Apr 2007 : 18:29:12
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Baroth

Although, I didn't receive my Dragon Magazine so far, I was able to take a really short look at the article. I think I will like it. :-)

Are you going to write another article about demons soon (especially Orcus)? I am running a campaign in the Cold Lands (mainly Vaasa) and I wanted to include the Orcus Cult but I didn't find any "up-to-date" material about the Cold Lands, Vaasa and the Orcus Cult.

I'd like to.

If you'd like to see one, write to the editors and request it.

--Eric

Thanks for the answer. I will write to the editors.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 15 Apr 2007 : 16:05:47
quote:

quote:

Although, I didn't receive my Dragon Magazine so far, I was able to take a really short look at the article. I think I will like it. :-)

Are you going to write another article about demons soon (especially Orcus)? I am running a campaign in the Cold Lands (mainly Vaasa) and I wanted to include the Orcus Cult but I didn't find any "up-to-date" material about the Cold Lands, Vaasa and the Orcus Cult.

I'd like to.

--Eric

My e-mail requesting a follow up article went out last night . . . and there was a fair bit of praise for the Cormanthyr timeline as well.
ericlboyd Posted - 15 Apr 2007 : 11:55:04
quote:

I'd like to.

--Eric
Eremite Posted - 14 Apr 2007 : 10:52:13
quote:

The Gorgotaur (snip)

I did the same thing with the tauric template some years ago when some of my PCs explored the labyrinth (who really cares about the legality of templates if everyone enjoys the encounter! ;)) . He/it was cleverly defeated by use of a wall of stone to hold it in place then various damage-dealing spells.
Baroth Posted - 13 Apr 2007 : 18:55:03

Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 12 Apr 2007 : 01:55:30
quote:

The Gorgotaur<snip>
Holy Cow Eric!! (literaly!)
That thing is NAAAASTY!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Apr 2007 : 20:24:35
I got this Dragon in the mail yesterday... But I didn't check the mail until very late, so I haven't even opened the mailing bag yet.
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Apr 2007 : 19:45:34
The Gorgotaur
The Gorgotaur resembles a bovine centaur, with a minotaur’s head and torso on a bull-like body. The Gorgotaur’s hide is covered in dusky metallic scales and shaggy tufts of dark brown fur. Twin silver horns curve forward from its thick brow and his dark eyes gleam with savage fury.
The leader of the Cult of the Labyrinth is a unique monster who claims to be a direct descendant of the Prince of Beasts. The Gorgotaur earned his place as leader of the cult by killing the minotaur who founded it, and he maintains his position through force of arms. The Gorgotaur only tolerates other members of the cult, seeing little need to lead them except through example. The Gorgotaur relishes the hunt and always seeks to terrorize his quarry before killing it.

THE GORGOTAUR CR 14
Tauric† minotaur-advanced gorgon thrall of Baphomet 3
† This is not strictly a legal template combination, as a minotaur is a monstrous humanoid.
Monster Manual II 216
CE Huge monstrous humanoid
Init +0; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, scent; Spot +25, Listen +25
AC 24, touch 8, flat-footed 24
(-2 Size, +14 natural, +2 armor)
hp 218 (25 HD )
Immune maze spells
Fort +26 Ref +14 Will +14 (+16 in a labyrinth)
Spd 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee +2 Huge greataxe +38 (3d8+15) (+40 [3d8+17] in a labyrinth) and
gore +34 (2d6+6) (+36 [2d6+8] in a labyrinth)
Space 15 ft. Reach 15 ft.
Base Atk +25; Grp +46 (+38 in a labyrinth)
Atk Options Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, breath weapon, powerful charge 6d6+19, trample 2d6+19
Abilities Str 35 (37 with gauntlets), Dex 10, Con 27, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 9
SQ fiendish animal companion (none), natural cunning
Feats Ability Focus (breath weapon), Awesome Blow, Cleave, Great Cleave, Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Multiattack, Power Attack, Thrall to Demon (Baphomet)
Skills Climb +25, Handle Animal +8, Intimidate +24, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +12, Knowledge (religion) +8, Listen +25, Search +25, Spot +25, Survival +12
Possessions bracers of armor +2, gauntlets of ogre power, +2 Large great axe
Breath Weapon (Su) 60-foot cone, once every 1d4 rounds (but no more than five times per day), turn to stone permanently, Fortitude DC 31 negates. The save DC is Constitution-based. (This is a unique ability which replaces breath of Baphomet. Normally a tauric creature does not retain the breath weapon of the base creature and normally a thrall of Baphomet has a different type of breath weapon.)
Blessing of the Labyrinth (Ex) The Gorgotaur is immune to maze spells and gains a +2 profane bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, Will saving throws, and Armor Class while within a maze or labyrinth.
Natural Cunning (Ex) The Gorgotaur possesses innate cunning and logical ability. This gives him immunity to maze spells, prevents him from ever becoming lost, and enables him to track enemies. Further, he is never caught flat-footed.
Powerful Charge (Ex) The Gorgotaur typically begins battle by charging at an opponent, lowering its head to bring its mighty horns into play. In addition to the normal benefits and hazards of a charge, this allows the beast to make a single gore attack with a +36 attack bonus that deals 6d6+19 points of damage.
Trample (Ex) Reflex DC 34 half. The save DC is Strength-based.
ericlboyd Posted - 11 Apr 2007 : 19:43:51
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Eltab? Bless you.

There's not much new on Eltab if you have CoR. As stated previously, the article was a lot shorter than I envisioned it. If you liked it though, let the Dragon editors know. I'd like to do additional cults in future articles.

--Eric
sleyvas Posted - 11 Apr 2007 : 19:15:45
Eltab? Bless you.
The Sage Posted - 10 Apr 2007 : 01:25:48
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I might also remind folks that . . .

MINOR SPOILERS

The Deep Coven was disbanded or at least "moved" in that particular story (they had to -- they'd been made). Though Cythara and her followers (who were indeed practicing within a Waukeen temple) can easily be incorporated into anything a DM wants to whip out . . . hint hint.

END SPOILERS

Cheers

Very interesting, Erik.

I'd like to hear what exactly happens to the Deep Coven [and their 'relationship' with places once important to the Waukeenar faith] during the period between 1362 DR [the time of The Greater Treasure tale] and 1371 DR, just before Waukeen's release.
Gray Richardson Posted - 10 Apr 2007 : 01:12:42
I am really looking forward to this one, although the street date is not until later this month. I should really probably subscribe. I buy every issue anyway.

I am very, very curious about the Trench of Lopok, and about Faerûnian demon cults in general.

In fact, just last night I enjoyed reading in Empires of the Shining Sea that Zanassu had some history in the Calimshan area back in the day before he got eaten by Selvetarm. Can't wait to check out your article, Eric.
ericlboyd Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 23:40:57
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

I mentioned this over on a thread on Enworld, but I think it appropriate to mention it here as well:

Eric you've made me smile.

Not only was this latest Volo's Guide about various fiend cults on Toril, it dripped with flavor, and it was written in such a way that doesn't restrict it to one cosmology or another. Even when talking about Waukeen and Graz'zt's history, there's a nice little mention of Celestian, couched in terms of him being a "god from another world", which preserves the prior lore entirely without making anyone compromise on anything if they're using the Great Wheel for their own FR campaign or likewise if they're using the revised 3e FR cosmology.

Very yummy, but perhaps the best part was Dagon being linked to the Trench of Lopak (I read it as either an avatar there or a portal to his layer in the Abyss directly influencing the depths) was quite nice, along with putting him up on par seemingly with an entire pantheon worshipped on the other side of Toril.

Awesome job man.

Glad you liked it. My only disappointment is that I blew the word count so badly. There was a lot more to the history of Dagon's interference with the politics of the Seros that didn't make the cut. There was also a stat block for the Gorgotaur, but that's not as critical. (The only difference from the "rules" was that he kept the gorgon breath weapon, which is not technically allowed by the tauric template.)

--Eric
Shemmy Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 22:57:49
I mentioned this over on a thread on Enworld, but I think it appropriate to mention it here as well:

Eric you've made me smile.

Not only was this latest Volo's Guide about various fiend cults on Toril, it dripped with flavor, and it was written in such a way that doesn't restrict it to one cosmology or another. Even when talking about Waukeen and Graz'zt's history, there's a nice little mention of Celestian, couched in terms of him being a "god from another world", which preserves the prior lore entirely without making anyone compromise on anything if they're using the Great Wheel for their own FR campaign or likewise if they're using the revised 3e FR cosmology.

Very yummy, but perhaps the best part was Dagon being linked to the Trench of Lopak (I read it as either an avatar there or a portal to his layer in the Abyss directly influencing the depths) was quite nice, along with putting him up on par seemingly with an entire pantheon worshipped on the other side of Toril.

Awesome job man.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 21:49:36
quote:

I went a different direction with the Cult of Graz'zt in the article. I reread Erik's excellent story before writing it, and the two aren't incompatible. I simply went a slightly different direction to give the DM more options.

I'm honored that you thought it a good story, sir! I shall definitely put that issue high on my list (I mean, mention the name Graz'zt and I'm all over it).

I might also remind folks that . . .

MINOR SPOILERS

The Deep Coven was disbanded or at least "moved" in that particular story (they had to -- they'd been made). Though Cythara and her followers (who were indeed practicing within a Waukeen temple) can easily be incorporated into anything a DM wants to whip out . . . hint hint.

END SPOILERS

Cheers
Snotlord Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 09:10:02
I'm betting Waukeen is pregnant. I've been working on a Waukeen/Graz'zt plot for years, so the timing of this article is just perfect!
The Sage Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 04:45:11
Thanks Eric.

I'm looking forward to this particular article, especially given the Graz'zt focus. That'll prove useful for me later.
Kuje Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 04:44:51
Note: I don't own the issue yet, I'm just reporting what was said on ENworld. :)

So, not sure what else is in the article, Sage.
ericlboyd Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 04:42:45
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

...and Graz'zt, with the latter having a heresy (as presented in Power of Faerun) for Waukeen's church detailed.
Curious. I've previously wondered whether this is tied, in any way, to the events of Erik Scott de Bie's "The Greater Treasure" tale from Realms of the Elves.

Hmmmm... is the Deep Coven referenced along with the other cults of Graz'zt?

I went a different direction with the Cult of Graz'zt in the article. I reread Erik's excellent story before writing it, and the two aren't incompatible. I simply went a slightly different direction to give the DM more options.

--Eric
The Sage Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 04:27:10
quote:

...and Graz'zt, with the latter having a heresy (as presented in Power of Faerun) for Waukeen's church detailed.
Curious. I've previously wondered whether this is tied, in any way, to the events of Erik Scott de Bie's "The Greater Treasure" tale from Realms of the Elves.

Hmmmm... is the Deep Coven referenced along with the other cults of Graz'zt?
Kuje Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 04:02:30
Eric wrote it.

Volo's Guide: Demon Cults of the Realms, by Eric L. Boyd, with special introduction by Ed Greenwood - Volo notes the recent activities of the cults of Baphomet, Dagon, and Graz'zt, with the latter having a heresy (as presented in Power of Faerun) for Waukeen's church detailed. One sidebar notes the other demons in the Demonomicon in the Realms, while another covers the machinations of Eltab.
The Sage Posted - 09 Apr 2007 : 04:00:29
Neat!

Are any particular demon cults referenced, or does the article just discuss cults in general?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000