Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Depths of Madness: Chapters 26 - end

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 28 Feb 2007 : 21:00:30
Well met

This is a Book Club thread for Depths of Madness(Book 1 of The Dungeons series), by Erik Scott de Bie. Please discuss chapters 26 - end ("Betrayal") herein:
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 26 Jun 2009 : 22:44:23
Well, I hope you enjoy them.

The anthologies *might* still be available on Amazon, if there's stock left. If you can't get a hold of them, drop me an email sometime and we'll put our heads together to get you your reading materials.

Cheers
Knight of the Gate Posted - 26 Jun 2009 : 22:19:46
Thanks for the tips, Erik- I'll have to track down those anthologies. I already ordered Ghostwalker this morning and I already owned Downshadow (b/c I had decided to read it prior to reading Depths, mostly b/c of Ed's urging those of us who aren't Shattered Realms-friendly to read Downshadow).
In any case, I look forward to them one and all, if they're half as good as Depths was, they'll be worth the cover prices and then some.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 26 Jun 2009 : 20:44:57
Thank you, KotG. I really appreciate your feedback, and I'm glad you enjoyed. I really like reviews (either on Candlekeep or on Amazon, etc.)--they really help the marketing, which in turn lets me write more.

No, no one pushed me (or even remotely suggested) I include a Races of Stone character. The way Gargan developed was that I needed a warrior type, but not just a cardboard cut out stock warrior, and I had been reading RoS and said "why not?" and "heck, I can even use the Fling Ally feat, which is just so awesome."

And thus Gargan was born.

And while he may have started as a throw-away character, he quickly blossomed to be one of the most important characters in the book. Plus he was just so cool.

You might take it as good news that I haven't published all that much so far--just three novels (Ghostwalker, Depths of Madness, and the most recent Downshadow) and two anthology entries (Realms of the Dragons 2 and Realms of the Elves), both of which are, I'm pretty sure, currently out of print--but you can either get them from me or try your luck at your local bookstore.

I usually see RotE around, and I highly recommend it as the first (and definitive) appearance of the irrepressible Twilight.

Cheers
Knight of the Gate Posted - 26 Jun 2009 : 19:31:30
I know I'm a few years behind everyone else, but I ran into (sadly) a going-out-of-business sale at a local bookstore, and took the opportunity to pick up about 20 realms books that I'd not gotten to, including all of 'The Dungeons' series.
So, I just finished reading Depths, and I am really not too pleased with you Erik. Now I have to go spend a bunch of money buying everything you've ever written, b/c this was the best Realms novel I've read in years! Thanks for all the work, and I look forward to my next (no doubt expensive) order from Amazon. Great characters make great books, and you had 7 of them in one novel. I started skeptical on Gargan, figuring that someone had 'suggested forcefully' that maybe you should include a 'races of stone' character in a crossover bid, but in the end, the Goliath (which I had thought was hokey when I encountered them in RoS) was a really, deeply cool character and my favorite (right next to Slip) in the novel. Kudos all around, sir!
skychrome Posted - 01 Apr 2009 : 04:06:28
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I'm glad you liked Gargan and the scene in the goliath village. He'd started out as a throw-away character, and took on increasing prominence as I planned out the novel. The village sequence was one of the most vividly visual sequences to plan, because it was sharply contrasted with the darkness of the dungeon. Glad it worked for you.

Actually that was a fantastic effect! And it is not only about returning to the surface, but returning into a landscape that provides space like few others on Faerun plus the immense night sky full of stars! Great contrast!

However the best move was, that you made them actually return back to the dungeon! This is probably the first book I read, where the heroes escape from danger at the very end of the book only to directly return into the mess a few pages later! One more original feature of this book!

-
Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 19 Mar 2009 : 15:55:11
quote:

Wow, thanks for the kind words, SLD. You should write book reviews.

I'm glad you liked Gargan and the scene in the goliath village. He'd started out as a throw-away character, and took on increasing prominence as I planned out the novel. The village sequence was one of the most vividly visual sequences to plan, because it was sharply contrasted with the darkness of the dungeon. Glad it worked for you.

As for the trilogy, from your keys to WotC's ears, my friend--I'd love to write a Twilight trilogy (whether about her, or if she's just in it). I guess we'll see where the chips fall.

Cheers

LOL! Not sure I'd be good at writing book reviews, but thanks for the compliment! I just gave an honest opinion about this novel. Keep up the good work Erik! I can't wait for "Downshadow". I read somewhere that there will be some Easter Eggs in it just as you had some Drizzt easter eggs in Ghoswalker. Looking forward to it!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 16 Mar 2009 : 23:50:20
Wow, thanks for the kind words, SLD. You should write book reviews.

As for the trilogy, from your keys to WotC's ears, my friend--I'd love to write a Twilight trilogy (whether about her, or if she's just in it). I guess we'll see where the chips fall.

Cheers
Sith_Lord_Drizzt Posted - 16 Mar 2009 : 22:24:42
Wow! A great novel! There was so much going on. I'm used to reading a more linear novel. This one really had me going back to see if I missed something. There were so many twists and turns. It really made me think about what was happening and I loved that aspect of it!

Twilight is so different in this as compared to when we saw her in "The Greater Treasure". I loved how you dissected her psyche and revealed bits of what goes on in her head. And you left so many questions still unanswered which will hopefully be answered in a trilogy about Twilight! Of course, after reading your material, I'm guessing that when those answers are given, they'll lead to more questions! This is what I truly enjoy about your writing style.

Twilight is such a complex character with what seems to me to be a shattered soul full of hurt. I think this novel takes place about 12 years since the time of TGT. It seems that she's gone thru a lot. I would love to know who she's running from.

My favorite charaters other than Twilight, of course, were Gargan and Slip! Gargan eptiomizes the hero type character that I truly enjoy reading about - a fighter with brains and brawn! But he's different than the typical Realms hero in that he seemed to be just an aside character that didn't have the spotlight on him much. He just kind of hung out in the shadows for me. I was really happy to see him survive and play a big role seeing as though he was probably the character, in my opinion, that Twilight had the least affection (both good and bad) for. And Slip? Wow, that was a nice twist at the end! I would never have imagined a halfling to be so evil!

I loved the part in the book at the Goliath village. Those scenes just really stuck out for me. I felt like I was watching a movie.

I truly hope that WotC will let you write a trilogy about Twilight. She's one of those charaters that you really want to read about over and over again. And if there is a trilogy, I'd love to see Gargan in it. He seems to be an opposite of Twilight. Somebody that can 'tame the beast' per se.

You did a great job with the description of the locales and the mood. I felt like I was right there with the characters. There aren't that many authors that can pull that off and you did it splendidly!

Thanks for an excellent read and I look forward to "Downshadow". And hopefully a trilogy about Twilight!
The Sage Posted - 15 Mar 2009 : 08:58:48
Sounds good. And, needless to say, I'm looking forward to it!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 15 Mar 2009 : 08:05:50
As to that, I hope I succeeded in writing a stand-alone piece you could read and appreciate out-of-context, though it stands alongside the novel pretty well. You should be able to read it before, during, or after with no problems/spoilers.

More, I'll say when it appears.

Cheers
The Sage Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 23:28:47
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Tremendous. A halfling serving Demogorgon. Beautifull. And the fact that the dungeon was "upside down" was great. A most excellent read. I am looking forward to much more of this great stuff.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Alisttair.

Speaking of future work, I seem to think there might be a Downshadow webstory showing up on Wizards one of these days . . . keep your eyes peeled.

Cheers

Oooh! Good news. Any particular tidbits you can share on whether it'll be a "prequel/prelude" to Downshadow?
Alisttair Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 17:22:06
quote:

quote:

Tremendous. A halfling serving Demogorgon. Beautifull. And the fact that the dungeon was "upside down" was great. A most excellent read. I am looking forward to much more of this great stuff.

Speaking of future work, I seem to think there might be a Downshadow webstory showing up on Wizards one of these days . . . keep your eyes peeled.

Cheers

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep an eye out for that
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 17:11:39
quote:

Cheers
Alisttair Posted - 13 Mar 2009 : 15:59:43
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Aug 2008 : 16:28:09
quote:
Originally posted by marc-end

How can Davoren worship Asmodeus while he has Demon blood streaming trough his veins?

Well, just as tiefling can turn his back on his fiendish heritage (or a drow on his evil society) and find a new path, so too can a demon-touched villain like Davoren pursue a new path to power . . . only he didn't make a 180 degree leap.

More like 45 degrees, over to the other major evil in the multiverse.

You may be interested in Davoren's FR writeup, which is located at: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070314

It doesn't delve too fully into your question (how he is spawned from Demons yet worships the Devil King), so I'll add a note there. Davoren feels as though the demons who manipulated him in his youth sort of ruined his life, so he didn't have a lot of stock in following them. Also, he is tyrannical by nature, and the path of Asmodeus offered him the power to control those around him in addition to simply punishing them.

Cheers
marc-end Posted - 17 Aug 2008 : 20:22:24
Just finished this one for the second time. This is by far my favorite. I only red 4 books so that wasn't a challenge for this one.

I liked Twilight very much, I'm going to order some other books involving her.
And I also liked Davoren very much. but there's still a question. It has been handled in the book but I never found an answer to that.

How can Davoren worship Asmodeus while he has Demon blood streaming trough his veins?

Greets
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 18 Jul 2008 : 01:37:08
Thanks for the feedback, Firestorm--I'm sorry it didn't work out better for you.

Sometimes it's just that certain something that you don't find in a book, y'know? And there's nothing wrong with that--not in the slightest.

"The Greater Treasure" is quite different in tone--you might do better with that one. Also good reading with <i>Ghostwalker</i>!

Cheers
Firestorm Posted - 18 Jul 2008 : 01:27:52
Just finished this book today.

To be brief and honest, I was a bit underwhelmed. I say this not to be mean, but just because I felt it was lacking something. I can't even put my finger on it. I liked twilight, but I found myself just unattached to any other character. just didn't care if they lived or died.

I always read every book at least twice though. takes a few reads to get used to different author's styles and it sometimes gets in the way of the read. initially, I disliked elements of "Shadow's witness", by Paul Kemp, but Now I love the book. Why not this one? lol.

First read I give it a 3 out of 5. Good story and twists, just missing something in my first read. Next, I plan on reading Twilight's short story in the realms of elves book(Which I should have read first), then Ghostwalker. I have heard such good things about ghostwalker that I am looking forward to it.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 15:41:23
Thank you sir! I'm glad you enjoyed. :)

(Now if I could just convince you to post an Amazon review, phase two of my insidious plan will be complete . . . mwahahaha.)

Cheers
koz Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 05:04:32
I just finshed up last night. Wow!!!! I thought the book had a lot of twists and turns but all of the revelations and and twists in the last few chapters nearly had my head spinning. In a good way of course. The way everything was revealed reminded me a lot of a couple classic horror movies. Maybe it's just me but there was something very Hitchcock like about the way the characters and plot were developed. There was always something happening that could be looked upon several different ways and there were many subtle clues planted throughout. The final twist at the end was very well done. Just when you think you have everything figured out along comes the epilogue to make you go WHAT!!!! I found myself flipping back to different parts of the story to see if I had overlooked something, only to realize I hadn't. The clues were all there I just hadn't put them all together. The book was very good but I think the last chapter and epilogue make the book. Any time you make your readers remember and rethink what they have read after they have finished it means you have suceeded. Bravo!!!!
The Sage Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 02:19:06
Aye. 'Twas for personal use, but I was actually intending on sending you a copy anyway... since it's a nifty reference.

I like the change in avatar, BTW. Edwin was always a favorite. Plus, we could be fellow [rival] Red Wizards now!
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 09 Nov 2007 : 02:10:35
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ah, thanks Erik. I'll update the compilation file I've been composing for your more in-depth responses.

Uh oh--that sounds dangerous. You'll have to point me toward said file, so that I can keep track.
The Sage Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 23:06:37
quote:

Hey guys--I don't know if this is significant, but I went in and edited my responses to a couple questions above, if you're interested. (post at the top of page 3)

Cheers

Ah, thanks Erik. I'll update the compilation file I've been composing for your more in-depth responses.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 21:54:30
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I'd love to find out, some day, more of Twilight's history and what led her to become an adventurer.

Well, that's a story I'd love to tell.

I guess we'll see what materializes.

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 18:43:44
I'd love to find out, some day, more of Twilight's history and what led her to become an adventurer.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 18:27:30
Hey guys--I don't know if this is significant, but I went in and edited my responses to a couple questions above, if you're interested. (post at the top of page 3)

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Nov 2007 : 14:30:45
Well, you do a very good job of writing "dark" books.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 07 Nov 2007 : 21:35:13
Aw. That's so sweet of you guys!

Cheers,

He for whom "dark" is a compliment.

P.S. And yes, GW is pretty dark. Inspired by The Crow, after all.
The Red Walker Posted - 07 Nov 2007 : 18:09:05
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I found Ghostwalker to be pretty dark, actually.

Definately agree, Ghostwalker is very dark in tone and feel.
Same for Depths but not as much as GW.
Bloodwalk was darker in deeds and action.

ed: Sp
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Nov 2007 : 15:31:47
I found Ghostwalker to be pretty dark, actually.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000