Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Seeking Info Re: the Barony of the Steeping Falls

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
maelstrom58 Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 01:17:09
The only entries I can find are in Lost Empires of Faerun, pp137-138. I am interested in learning more about the place, as it was apparently founded by a Shoon exile; can anyone point me to a source detailing it any further?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 01 Mar 2020 : 17:48:04
Master Sage,

Any chance you have an updated link for this site? I would really like to check that out! :)

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

No. You'll find Krash's North timeline stored on Eric's website.

George Krashos Posted - 25 Nov 2017 : 17:35:42
Actually, Daggerford is south east of the Ardeep Forest, but I can see where you are coming from. The problem is that Ed's article makes it clear that Morlin Castle is a "crossroads" between the areas north and south of the Delimbiyr. To place it further east puts it right into the Sword Hills, which wouldn't make it a crossroads at all. That's why Eric made the decision to place it at the site of Daggerford all the way back when we were musing about the Fallen Kingdom in 1998 (nearly 20 years ago!). And technically there is no conflict. Later published lore trumps older published lore. The site of Daggerford/Morlin Castle is confirmed in several 3E sources. But if that doesn't satisfy you, I'd love to see what you come up with as an explanation for the confusion. Cheers.

-- George Krashos
perlmugp Posted - 25 Nov 2017 : 13:22:48
Ed's article also says: "The wood they destroyed had been known as Halangorn Forest, and it separated Elembar from the Horn Hills"

Elembar and the Horn Hills are both east of Ardeep Forest, Daggerford is south of Ardeep. By the descriptions in this article Daggerford should be much farther east.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Nov 2017 : 08:51:36
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

There is something wrong with locations given for the Barony of Steeping Falls and Morlin Castle. Ed's Athalantar write up in Dragon says that Morlin Castle is on the eastern edge of Halangorn Forest and that forest was between Elembar and the Horn Hills. But everywhere else seems to point Morlin Castle to the current site of Daggerford, which looks to be much farther downstream than the location described by Ed. Any ideas on if I'm missing something or if not how to resolve this conflict.

Ed's Athalantar article says: "At the eastern end of the Halangorn Forest, on the north bank of the Delimbiyr, stood Morlin Castle ..."

How does that not gel with the location of Daggerford?

-- George Krashos
perlmugp Posted - 16 Nov 2017 : 17:08:09
There is something wrong with locations given for the Barony of Steeping Falls and Morlin Castle. Ed's Athalantar write up in Dragon says that Morlin Castle is on the eastern edge of Halangorn Forest and that forest was between Elembar and the Horn Hills. But everywhere else seems to point Morlin Castle to the current site of Daggerford, which looks to be much farther downstream than the location described by Ed. Any ideas on if I'm missing something or if not how to resolve this conflict.
maelstrom58 Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 21:56:20
Duly noted, Mr. (George if you prefer) Krashos. By the way, thanks for the excellent timeline!

As for "Grand History," I am definitely going to have to get it
George Krashos Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 07:34:13
I caution you that some of the dates were moved around in "Lost Empires of Faerūn". That latter source is the definitive dating - at leat until "Grand History of the Realms" comes out in September. With extra bits too!

-- George Krashos
maelstrom58 Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 01:02:49
Ah, many thanks, Sage.
The Sage Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 00:20:39
No. You'll find Krash's North timeline stored on Eric's website.
maelstrom58 Posted - 22 Mar 2007 : 00:11:37
I have one last question, Sage: Is Mr. Krash's 'Timeline of the North' on Candlekeep somewhere? I can't seem to find it.
The Sage Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 22:57:15
Your welcome Mael.

I just wish I'd beaten Eric to the post!
ericlboyd Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 20:31:46
quote:
Originally posted by maelstrom58

Most excellent. Thanks Mr. Boyd (or would you prefer Eric?), Sage for your very quick and complete replies!

Eric is fine.

Glad to be of help.

--Eric
maelstrom58 Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 16:08:25
Most excellent. Thanks Mr. Boyd (or would you prefer Eric?), Sage for your very quick and complete replies!
The Sage Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 01:50:54
Confound it!

Eric got to it before I did...

Ah well.
The Sage Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 01:47:15
As I recall, aside from a brief mention in the first volume of the Bestiary of the Realms, and a few tidbits in Krash's 'The North Timeline', Eric and George's work in Lost Empires of Faerūn remains the more detailed source. There was the brief [and original] mention in Ed's 'Athalantan Campaign' article from DRAGON #227.

Eric also dropped a few tidbits about Artor Morlin and the Steeping Falls in CoS:W under the 'Vampires' section on pg. 59.
ericlboyd Posted - 20 Mar 2007 : 01:38:36
The name "Steeping Falls" originated in Ed's article in Dragon #227 entitled "An Athalantan Campaign".

I built on this in Lost Empires, City of Splendors: Waterdeep (look at the vampires section in the People chapter), and Dungeon #126-#128. It's linked to the backstory I wrote for the Vampires of Waterdeep trilogy.

There's not a lot, but there are the hints of a vanished castle whose extensive catacombs still exist, deep beneath the town of Daggerford.

--Eric

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000