Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Are the gods like mortals ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RodOdom Posted - 27 Jan 2007 : 19:54:46
Are the Faerunian gods basically like mortals, with the same passions and flaws?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Faraer Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 22:41:31
The answer as I see it, and Ed and THO if you care to confirm/deny, is somewhat. Imagine a human being, remove the barrier between conscious and unconscious, and magnify the whole thing in every direction until it extends through everything. Imagine a nation of human beings and add their minds together. Imagine what the consciousness of mountains and weather systems is like. Imagine what underlies and causes these things.

Then you have some idea of a (Realms) god. It's not distinct from human consciousness, but it's also different and much larger -- and not much like what's depicted in the Avatar novels, which is artistic licence, not meant to be taken literally.
Jorkens Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 09:59:57
I don't think its a case of the gods being so much like the mortals, as of the mortals seeing them like themselves. This affects the way they present themselves to mortals. Avatars would then show much more human reactions than the pure essence of the god itself would do.

That being said, I see the gods as beings and incarnations of extremes and able to at times display emotions as humans, but then in a more intense form. At these times all gods are at their most dangerous as their love and hatred is so total that a mortal can barely fathom its extent, much less keep their sanity if coming in direct contact with the divinity.

Just some morning ramblings.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 09:35:14
Interesting topic, especially since I've been wondering the same while reading Azuth's conversation with El in "Temptation of Elminster" (Yes, I know I am far behind in terms of novels...sue me)

If the old Mystra kept a close link to El so that she would not lose the rest of her humanity it can be assumed that they are the next step up, so to speak.
Calrond Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 06:30:52
I agree, and to get Ao to notice you as a mortal, you'd have to do something that affects his underlings in a very direct way, like Cyric and Midnight did at the end of the Time of Troubles.
Markustay Posted - 28 Jan 2007 : 04:07:56
I would agree that the higher one goes the less 'caring' they become.

As I have stated in the past here and elsewhere, I feel that the 'powers' are just the next 'level up' from us. Think of it as a giant corporation, and mortals work in the mailroom. If you need a day off, you ask the next man up the chain (a deity). You wouldn't go to the CEO, because he would neither care nor even know who you are (if you even got close enough to talk to him).

So, when we need something, we go to our immediate supervisors (the 'gods'). A DvR20 god would be like a member of the board of executives. Ao (the CEO) noticing us would be like us noticing a single bacteria.

Just my way of seeing things, take it or leave it.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 27 Jan 2007 : 21:15:39
I agree, and I mentioned this in another thread. The wider scope you can see (that is, the greater picture), the less likely you are to feel emotional about the smaller pieces of the picture, therefore the less human you are.
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 27 Jan 2007 : 20:21:05
I think the higher rank you get as a deity, the more you become less like a human and the more impersonal you get. You start to become the enigma of the portfolios you represent.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000