Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Dark Elf or Icewind Dale?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Damon Posted - 21 Dec 2006 : 21:16:20
Greetings and Salutations!

I am new to the Candlekeep forum, being directed here after someone down at the WotC boards told me it would be a good place to learn A LOT about the FR setting. I am new to FR and only right now own the Campaign Setting book, but I will soon be obtaining some other supplement books to help me. I recently obtained both the Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies. I was wondering which set to read first, because I read through much debate on the sticky about which novels to read and what not. But anyway, some help would be much appreciated.

Damon
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ranin Posted - 04 Jan 2007 : 04:13:03
I'm not used to reading any sort of books without any order. Salvatore does explain what happened in previous novels during the following novel, but I like the anticipation of getting to the nest book in order. The worst thing is trying to read Paths of Darkness without order. I could'nt imagine doing it, since so many exciting things happened in sequence.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 23:07:43
quote:
Originally posted by Enialus Meliamne

Normally, I read them as I buy them...The compulsion to read chronologically, only applies to the Realms changing books that I am about to have the complete collection of...

You see, I couldn't even do that much...I just read whatever trilogy interests me more.

By the way, these Drizzt discrepancies are hilarious. I knew about the age inconsistancy, but never knew about the Ched Nasad one (I do actually have an old Crystal Shard book, but it was the first FR book I ever read and only read it once)! However, I fail to see how making Drizzt younger somehow also made him "cooler".
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 21:48:12
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

i guess i have a newer version, because his age has never been stated in my copy of IcwTri
Salvatore adapted the character to be way cooler and have more inner conflict which seem to happen more when you are young (relativly speaking of course)

i also got the impression that Drizzt talks about his past as if has been a long time ago, he never said it explictly, but that's the impression I get

It may have been changed in later releases... Mine is one of the early, pre-Dark Elf printings. The passage in question is right before Drizzt gets jumped by the yeti. It says something about his eyes aren't great in daylight because he lived for more than two centuries in the Underdark.
Aureus Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 21:11:16
i guess i have a newer version, because his age has never been stated in my copy of IcwTri
Salvatore adapted the character to be way cooler and have more inner conflict which seem to happen more when you are young (relativly speaking of course)

i also got the impression that Drizzt talks about his past as if has been a long time ago, he never said it explictly, but that's the impression I get
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 17:35:10
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

it doesn't matter in which order you read both triologies, by the way if you pay attention to what Drizzt says about diffrent subjects, you will find that some differe from the books, for exemple in the IcwTri, he said that he met his panther saved him during his travel back from ched nasad to menzo, but in the DET he has never been in an other Drow city during his youth, in DET he had been out because of something personal

In his first scene in The Crystal Shard, it also mentions he's more than 200 years old. The Dark Elf trilogy and everything since makes him like 80 or so.
Aureus Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 13:42:15
it doesn't matter in which order you read both triologies, by the way if you pay attention to what Drizzt says about diffrent subjects, you will find that some differe from the books, for exemple in the IcwTri, he said that he met his panther saved him during his travel back from ched nasad to menzo, but in the DET he has never been in an other Drow city during his youth, in DET he had been out because of something personal
Enialus Meliamne Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 11:55:39
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think reading every Realms book in chronological order is completely unnecessary, and not even desirable, but to each their own. *shrug*

Normally, I read them as I buy them...The compulsion to read chronologically, only applies to the Realms changing books that I am about to have the complete collection of...

The one exception to this, is the Drizzt series, of which I've read each one, more then twice. The last time, I read them all in order, and I found a great deal more satisfaction out of that, hence why I recommended that for the original poster.
scererar Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 06:20:24
I concur. I usually try to read as published, but that does not dictate which order I read any realms novel. Sometimes it can get in the way, but mostly no issues.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Jan 2007 : 00:28:54
quote:

I think reading every Realms book in chronological order is completely unnecessary, and not even desirable, but to each their own. *shrug*

I concur. I'll read every book of a particular series or trilogy in chronological order, but I'll not forgo reading a Realms novel that catches my eye simply because I've not read something else that chronologically comes first. If I was that way, I'd be screwed -- I've not yet read the Sembia books, I gave up on the Twilight Giants after the first book, and I've never had any particular desire to read the Maztica trilogy (which I only recently acquired).
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Jan 2007 : 23:36:07
Enialus Meliamne Posted - 02 Jan 2007 : 12:10:11
Chronological...This will give you an idea of how somewhat compulsive a reader I can be. The other day, I was on here, and noticed a download (http://www.candlekeep.com/downloads/frchecklist.zip), which gives a detailed listing in chronology of Realms altering histories, so I went to Amazon, bought the remaining ones I don't have (Save The Last Mythal), and put down The City of Splendors, and started reading Evermeet again...So yes. Chronology is the way I would go.
Renzokuken Posted - 30 Dec 2006 : 05:05:15
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Renzokuken
Neither trilogy is particularly amazing...

I have to agree. The novel Homeland benefits from some great drow politics though.

Agreed. Out of the six novels, Homeland captured me the most.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 08:03:22
Indeed, although with the trend to rerelease the novels as saga of Drizzt you can prolly read them in chronological order.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 05:50:26
quote:
Originally posted by quajack

Always read in order of date published. If RAS wanted the Dark Elf 3 read 1st, he would have written it 1st.

That's a preposterous statement... Drizzt was originally created to be a sidekick. RAS has said so himself. The success of the character surprised everyone, and it enabled RAS to go back and tell Drizzt's early story.

There was no way the Dark Elf trilogy would have ever seen print, had not the Icewind Dale trilogy put Drizzt in the limelight.
quajack Posted - 29 Dec 2006 : 03:17:20
Always read in order of date published. If RAS wanted the Dark Elf 3 read 1st, he would have written it 1st.
Genis Posted - 28 Dec 2006 : 02:34:57
even if this opinion is a little late i'll give it anyways....chronological all the way...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Dec 2006 : 16:23:27
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Anxtraphyl

I'm planning to read them in chronological order too. As a side question, is there a list of the chronological order, relative to FR history and lore, in which all the novels should be read?

Well, there's O Love's Novels Timeline, which lists all the books and short stories, and when they happen.

Brian's timeline should also have that info......

Ah, yes, Brian R. James's A Grand History of the Realms is also an excellent resource.
Kuje Posted - 27 Dec 2006 : 15:26:33
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I'm planning to read them in chronological order too. As a side question, is there a list of the chronological order, relative to FR history and lore, in which all the novels should be read?

Well, there's O Love's Novels Timeline, which lists all the books and short stories, and when they happen.

Brian's timeline should also have that info......
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Dec 2006 : 11:16:21
quote:

Anxtraphyl Posted - 27 Dec 2006 : 08:34:04
scererar Posted - 27 Dec 2006 : 07:00:59
both are great IMO. I read the dark elf trilogy first then icewind dale.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 25 Dec 2006 : 15:36:17
quote:
Originally posted by Renzokuken
Neither trilogy is particularly amazing...

I have to agree. The novel Homeland benefits from some great drow politics though.
Renzokuken Posted - 25 Dec 2006 : 06:21:51
Neither trilogy is particularly amazing and it really doesn't matter which one you read first. I did like the first book of the DET a lot though.
RodOdom Posted - 23 Dec 2006 : 20:07:18
Icewind Dale is a lot more fun than Dark Elf, so I would say ID first.
khorne Posted - 23 Dec 2006 : 11:47:30
Chronological. That's how I read them.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 23 Dec 2006 : 01:05:55
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

quote:
-there is no "wrong way" here.

Unless, of course, you read them upside down

Well, yeah.
Damon Posted - 23 Dec 2006 : 00:50:06
Excellent..

Thanks for all the help..I am excited to start!
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 22 Dec 2006 : 23:56:19
quote:
-there is no "wrong way" here.

Unless, of course, you read them upside down
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Dec 2006 : 23:13:52
I read the books in published order, myself. But like I said, I don't think it matters that much--there is no "wrong way" here.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 22 Dec 2006 : 22:59:28
Maybe I should go chronic with Drizzt...err chronological

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000