Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Potion Miscibility

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ergdusch Posted - 03 Dec 2006 : 21:23:06
Do you remember the 1st Ed. rules for mixing potions, either by intermingling or drinking two potions very quickly? It could cause funny effects from permanent effects to actually killing the imbiber.

I was wondering, why was it not converted in to later editions? And are you (playing the 2nd/3.x Ed.) is still using it today anyhow?
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ergdusch Posted - 04 Dec 2006 : 07:18:51
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch
[quote]However, we had a group decission on taking the new 3.0 rules as they are/were - with no add ins or changes. that ment also - no potion miscibility.
So the rules trump the Realms in your campaign? Boooo.

The rules are just what the game goes by - by stickin to zthe core rules the unique atmosphere that is the FR is not necessarily and immediatly stripped away, IMO.
Ergdusch Posted - 04 Dec 2006 : 07:14:11
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

And this previous April as part of the April Fool's day articles, they revamped the rules for 3.5, which you can find here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20060401b

HA! That is just great! Thanks a lot KEJR for this shared information.
Faraer Posted - 04 Dec 2006 : 03:58:57
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch
I was wondering, why was it not converted in to later editions?
Because randomness is hard to 'balance' and takes power away from players.
quote:
However, we had a group decission on taking the new 3.0 rules as they are/were - with no add ins or changes. that ment also - no potion miscibility.
So the rules trump the Realms in your campaign? Boooo.
Halidan Posted - 04 Dec 2006 : 01:57:14
I never liked the potion miscibility rules. That's probably because I gamed with a couple of "gentlmen" who were very hard nosed about using the rules "exactly as written!!!"

Of course, that meant that using a healing potion of any sort while under the effects of another potion resulted in a roll on the dreaded chart.

I lost several characters to healing potion explosions. It was one of the reasons I started DMing in the first place.
Reefy Posted - 04 Dec 2006 : 01:00:53
I like it. I think this may well find a way into my games.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Dec 2006 : 23:46:54
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

And this previous April as part of the April Fool's day articles, they revamped the rules for 3.5, which you can find here:

That explains it! I knew I'd read those more recently than my last perusal thru the 2E DMG... I just couldn't remember where I'd read them.
Besshalar Posted - 03 Dec 2006 : 22:29:03
Some people are going to be very surprised soon.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 03 Dec 2006 : 22:24:42

Kuje Posted - 03 Dec 2006 : 22:20:54
I still use them from time to time as well even in current rules. :)
Ergdusch Posted - 03 Dec 2006 : 22:20:08
Great to hear that - I loved it when playing 1st Ed. However, we had a group decission on taking the new 3.0 rules as they are/were - with no add ins or changes. that ment also - no potion miscibility.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Dec 2006 : 22:13:58
I'm pretty certain it was in 2E. I think it was chucked out the window for simplicity's sake, in 3E. Though, if I was DM'ing, I'd happily keep those rules in place.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000