Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Ranger Deity

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sparhawk42 Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 03:44:10
I am a little confused here. What exactly are the restrictions for a ranger picking a deity in Faerun? I mean do they have to choose a nature deity as their patron deity or could a ranger worship say, Torm? Would not worshiping a nature deity result in the ranger not being able to cast spells? Thank you in advance for any help. :)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Genis Posted - 07 Nov 2006 : 22:50:43
thanks for the info...i wouldnt say id only hate and or hunt the drow but i might go with Shevarash anyways
Kentinal Posted - 07 Nov 2006 : 17:49:58
Shevarash Dogma: The greatest enemy of the Seldarine is Lolth, who sought the corruption of Arvandor for the overthrow of the Creator of the Elves. The greatest enemy of the Fair Folk is the drow, the debased followers of the Spider Queen who long ago were enmeshed in her dark web. Redemption and revenge may be achieved through the utter destruction of the drow and the dark deities they serve. Only then may the joy of life begin anew. Hunt endlessly!

Eilistraee Dogma: Be always kind, except in battle with evil. Encourage happiness everywhere. Learn and teach new songs, dances, and the flowing dance of skilled swordwork. Promote harmony between the races. Befriend strangers, shelter those without homes, and feed the hungry. Repay rudeness with kindness. Repay violence with swift violence so that those who cause it are quickly dealt with. Aid drow in distress and give them the Lady's message: "A rightful place awaits you in the Realms Above, in the Land of the Great Light. Come in peace and live beneath the sun again where trees and flowers grow."

It should be noted that Shevarash has modified policy some as not to hunt and kill Drow followers of Eilistraee. Both deities hunt evil and seek to distroy evil creatures. Eilistraee however offers more flexiblity on an encounter.

Shevarash - See Drow kill it, remembering to ask question what deity they follow.

Eilistraee Try to keep Drow alive, unless they engaged in evil (which means likely 80 percent of Drow are safe tragets). Also Eilistraee is not Drow only focused.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 07 Nov 2006 : 17:17:21
I like Eilistraee as a ranger's patron. For one short Neverwinter Nights module, I made my PC a half-moon elf ranger/bard of Eilistraee.

The way you just described your ranger makes him a good candidate for this goddess, I think.
Genis Posted - 07 Nov 2006 : 06:04:26
no i pictured my ranger rather vigilante and revengeful...but still in a goodly way were as he only seeks revenge on those truly deserving of it and feels no guilt and punishing evil but still has a profoundly good heart....but as long as Shevarash meets up to those expectations its great thanks....if not i might have to keep looking....and i apologize for my ignorance and needy-ness!
Jorkens Posted - 06 Nov 2006 : 07:43:33
Remember I am working from 2ed. sources here, so things could have changed. Shevarash is CN with CG and CG clergy, among these rangers. As he is the god of revenge, loss and elven crusades he sounds to me to be what you are looking for Genis. If this becomes to vigilante for your ranger maybe another deity would do better though.
Genis Posted - 06 Nov 2006 : 04:05:29
i was on topic...i was discussing ranger deities!...Shevarash eh?....elvin god of revenge...but he is still a goodly god? i mean as far as that goes?
Kuje Posted - 06 Nov 2006 : 02:18:30
Can we find the topic, please. :) We've seem to have misplaced it.....
Aglaranna Posted - 06 Nov 2006 : 02:17:04
I thought I'd add something random to an otherwise sane conversation. It's my sworn duty.
sparhawk42 Posted - 05 Nov 2006 : 18:03:25
Aglaranna, no the world doesn't end with the Realms but it is still my favorite place to be!
Jorkens Posted - 05 Nov 2006 : 10:47:31
Shevarash should fit you nicely; he is the elven god of revenge (among other things) and has rangers among his clergy, at least inn the 2ed.
Genis Posted - 05 Nov 2006 : 03:57:12
what would be a good deity for a half elf ranger whose family was killed and is on a road to smite evil with an almost wild abandon??? any suggestions for a deity for a ranger such as that?
Aglaranna Posted - 04 Nov 2006 : 21:42:13
Ah. See, everyone? The world doesn't end with the Realms! I just had to say that.
sparhawk42 Posted - 04 Nov 2006 : 00:02:18
Yep, thats where I got the inspiration for the name from.
Aglaranna Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 23:41:18
"Sparhawk"? Not THE Sparhawk! You know, with the bad-temper and the horse with a worse temper?
bitter thorn Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 11:13:05
I'd also note that there are examples of Rangers of Mystra, Lathander, Tymora mentioned in existing lore.

So I think we can agree that the rules are not carved in stone. IMG a good background of RP explanation carries more weight than the rules, but I am fortunate to have a mature group.
The Sage Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 00:30:36
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Genis

anything on the internet that you know of i could use to read up on them? or is the only easy clear thing to use Faiths & Pantheons?

Not sure and the 2e deity trilogy, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities is better for lore about the deities, their churches, followers, etc. Faiths & Pantheons for 3/3.5e basically shortened the info from those 3 books into 1 book.

To be honest, what you'll find regarding the FR deities online will never equal what you'll learn from the "Big Three FR Deity" books that Kuje mentioned above.

I've seen other scribes who've tried to hunt down all the FR deity lore they can that's been presented online -- whether official or unofficial -- and they still have plenty of questions. Questions which are almost always treated in the Big Three FR Deity books.

Really, they're the best course for learning about the deities of the Realms.
Genis Posted - 03 Nov 2006 : 00:00:29
thanks again tho!
Kuje Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 23:51:40
quote:

anything on the internet that you know of i could use to read up on them? or is the only easy clear thing to use Faiths & Pantheons?

Not sure and the 2e deity trilogy, Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities is better for lore about the deities, their churches, followers, etc. Faiths & Pantheons for 3/3.5e basically shortened the info from those 3 books into 1 book.
Genis Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 23:25:28
Genis Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 23:23:37
thanks
Kuje Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 23:02:27
quote:

speaking of which where would i find a list of all the ranger deities and like....about them....explaining what they are the deity of etc....i need to read up on my deitys and gods and whatnot because i dont know yet...and i need to....so im kinda piggy backing on this thread but i thought since your already ON the subject of ranger deitys...i just wanted to know a little more about each of the respective deities and whatnot...thanks!

Well, as was mentioned, there's one in Faiths & Pantheons, but it's missing a few deities that have rangers, even though it seems weird that those deities have rangers. :)
Genis Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 22:53:08
speaking of which where would i find a list of all the ranger deities and like....about them....explaining what they are the deity of etc....i need to read up on my deitys and gods and whatnot because i dont know yet...and i need to....so im kinda piggy backing on this thread but i thought since your already ON the subject of ranger deitys...i just wanted to know a little more about each of the respective deities and whatnot...thanks!
Kajehase Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 15:54:33
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I have a hard time seeing a god as not being able to grant spells to someone just because they aren't "nature" deities. I seem to remember Cormyr having foresters that patrol the King's Forest, and I have a hard time thinking that these guys, loyal completely the crown, trained in ranger tricks and skills, but worshiping Torm because as much as they love the forest and know its secrets, they are at heart loyal and true people, can't get spells from him because he isn't a nature deity.

Those could be scouts, though
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 13:43:57
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I'm with KEJR. Druids of Siamorphe are probably as rare as sun elf barbarians, but I prefer to have no hard and fast ruling on this one.

:D ... is there any Sun elf Barbarians

My theory : I would say possibly, on one of the other "unknown" continents...the sun elves were seperated from Faerun during the Sundering and had to "go native"...I'd even nominate them into evolving into a "grugach" elven tribe...
Ergdusch Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 09:06:12
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

There's little point in making an absolute ruling, but I don't see a god with nothing to do with plants or animals granting spells to affect plants or animals. Divine magic is about channelling the essence of the god and repeating its paradigmatic acts, not off-the-shelf powers.

I agree with that. Therefore the list in F&P makes sense, even more for druids than for rangers, as the first ones are even more focusing on spells than the latter.
Sian Posted - 02 Nov 2006 : 05:58:49
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

I'm with KEJR. Druids of Siamorphe are probably as rare as sun elf barbarians, but I prefer to have no hard and fast ruling on this one.

:D ... is there any Sun elf Barbarians
Faraer Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 23:09:43
There's little point in making an absolute ruling, but I don't see a god with nothing to do with plants or animals granting spells to affect plants or animals. Divine magic is about channelling the essence of the god and repeating its paradigmatic acts, not off-the-shelf powers.
Reefy Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 22:53:00
sparhawk42 Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 22:52:45
Thank you to everyone for all the information and help!:)
KnightErrantJR Posted - 01 Nov 2006 : 22:34:29
I have a hard time seeing a god as not being able to grant spells to someone just because they aren't "nature" deities. I seem to remember Cormyr having foresters that patrol the King's Forest, and I have a hard time thinking that these guys, loyal completely the crown, trained in ranger tricks and skills, but worshiping Torm because as much as they love the forest and know its secrets, they are at heart loyal and true people, can't get spells from him because he isn't a nature deity.

I think it makes perfect sense to say that some gods are less likely to have rangers, druids, etc, and to say what gods do have formal orders or places in their clergy for these characters, but I think its problematic to say that a god absolutely does not, under any circumstances, have druids, rangers, etc. loyal to them and thus receiveing spells.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000