Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Gods and their Clerics

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chataro Posted - 21 Sep 2006 : 07:24:10
Does it seem like most gods in FR seems to prefer their clerics to be the same gender as them?

Cases of examples are

Sune = Female
Lolth = Female
Bane = Male
Cyric = Male
Tempus = Male
Deneir = Male

Mod Edit: Moved to the correct shelf.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 01 Mar 2020 : 06:52:48
Seeker Titus le Chmakus,

I suppose I need a little clarification here, apologies for being pedantic.

When you say "NEVER have ANY fighting clerics", do you mean fighting in an offensive manner, defensive, or both? I ask because what I feel matters the most is the dogma of the god. Followers of Eldath (of course clerics) are only suppose to fight in self-defense or for someone in their charge, for self-defense. That's it. However, if that is considered fighting, I do not belive you'll find any deity prohibits even self-defense.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Titus le Chmakus

quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Power of Faerun is a nice tome to ponder over questions such as these. Actual percentages of the amount of clerics vs other classes can be found in the old Faiths and Avatars tome series, under "The Church" headers. From most one can guesstimate the amount of acolytes vs actual fighting clerics active in the church.

Most large churches have lots of people affiliated to a place of worship and that wield no divine power but are responsible for a particular aspect of the daily life of that temple/cathedral. Think temple gardeners, guards, chefs, scullions and scullery maids, scribes, carpenters and others that perform the menial tasks of running a religious building. One would be wise to take in consideration that most large temples in Faerun perform a particular social function, becoming the center (of learning) of that activity for many more than their church members alone during the cities daily bustle.

Gods with portfolios that somehow align with temple activities have actual clerics busying these aforementioned jobs themselves; Oghmas priests are scribes in addition to fighting clerics, Sunites are expert gardeners, Gondites are craftsmen, Tempus and Helmite clerics are temple guards, Tyrrans are lawyers and judges, etc. Many faerunians would discover their faith while being an acolyte to the temple learning the particular skill that temple provides.

Temples with large amounts of active clerics and paladin orders probably need them to protect the economic and political positions they have acquired, be that from external threats like monstrous activity, theft, rival churches, war and espionage or internal dangers of wasteful management, heresy and hierarchic turmoil. Having a large and versatile strata of the religious organization as fighting clerics gives most temples the ability to respond to happenings around there area. Mounted paladin orders are known to greatly expand the reach of the Arm of the Church.

Lesser Gods or those who don't care much for organized religion and who merely require unattended shrines might not have a social support structure at all, and would need less protection and financing. They have no large groups of fighting clerics, but each cleric tends to be more in touch with the divine (and is a higher level spellcaster) because of the traveling lifestyle.

Well it is not what I was asking in fact ! Thanks for your answer, but I was more asking if there are any gods in the Faerunian pantheon that NEVER have ANY fighting clerics ?
Or if all the gods have some clerics with martial abilities among their followers ? I mean not all the clerics would be warriors, but at least a part of them.

Titus le Chmakus Posted - 17 Jan 2018 : 10:36:44
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Power of Faerun is a nice tome to ponder over questions such as these. Actual percentages of the amount of clerics vs other classes can be found in the old Faiths and Avatars tome series, under "The Church" headers. From most one can guesstimate the amount of acolytes vs actual fighting clerics active in the church.

Most large churches have lots of people affiliated to a place of worship and that wield no divine power but are responsible for a particular aspect of the daily life of that temple/cathedral. Think temple gardeners, guards, chefs, scullions and scullery maids, scribes, carpenters and others that perform the menial tasks of running a religious building. One would be wise to take in consideration that most large temples in Faerun perform a particular social function, becoming the center (of learning) of that activity for many more than their church members alone during the cities daily bustle.

Gods with portfolios that somehow align with temple activities have actual clerics busying these aforementioned jobs themselves; Oghmas priests are scribes in addition to fighting clerics, Sunites are expert gardeners, Gondites are craftsmen, Tempus and Helmite clerics are temple guards, Tyrrans are lawyers and judges, etc. Many faerunians would discover their faith while being an acolyte to the temple learning the particular skill that temple provides.

Temples with large amounts of active clerics and paladin orders probably need them to protect the economic and political positions they have acquired, be that from external threats like monstrous activity, theft, rival churches, war and espionage or internal dangers of wasteful management, heresy and hierarchic turmoil. Having a large and versatile strata of the religious organization as fighting clerics gives most temples the ability to respond to happenings around there area. Mounted paladin orders are known to greatly expand the reach of the Arm of the Church.

Lesser Gods or those who don't care much for organized religion and who merely require unattended shrines might not have a social support structure at all, and would need less protection and financing. They have no large groups of fighting clerics, but each cleric tends to be more in touch with the divine (and is a higher level spellcaster) because of the traveling lifestyle.

Well it is not what I was asking in fact ! Thanks for your answer, but I was more asking if there are any gods in the Faerunian pantheon that NEVER have ANY fighting clerics ?
Or if all the gods have some clerics with martial abilities among their followers ? I mean not all the clerics would be warriors, but at least a part of them.
TBeholder Posted - 11 Jan 2018 : 06:21:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

One thing to remember about Lolth is she used to have male priests.
[...]
I have not seen any explaination of what happened to Lolth's priests.

They just never got any limelight (except Rai-guy Bondalek). Being rare and ever the second class.
Lolth's priestesses distrust them (more than usual, that is) and consider them "more expendable" underlings, while other drow dudes distrust them and see them as a sad joke (IIRC in one novel a drow actually used comparison to these fellows as a contemptuous joke). This adds up to having life expectancy dubious even by the drow standards. It's just not a good career choice. Which is why they always were rare.
Being a servant of Selvetarm (in the cities where it's allowed) is also second class, but a better deal. Because roles are well-defined, and they have a separate hierarchy with different duties. Less of "below the priestesses" and more of "above the warriors".
Bladewind Posted - 10 Jan 2018 : 13:31:13

Titus le Chmakus Posted - 29 Dec 2017 : 09:40:15
Sorry for necro but best than creating another topic on the same subject !

Do all the gods on Faerun have fighting clerics in 3.5ed ? Or some gods have all their clerics not fighting at all (which ones) ?

Thanks
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 19:30:32
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

IMO I think people often concentrate a little too much on the "good" aspect of a paladin more than the "law" aspect of the paladin

I've always felt the opposite -- that people focus too much on the lawful aspect.

I don't really think most anyone really "gets" a paladin...like the True Neutrality of a druid (pre-3E)

That is why the biggest reason I enjoyed the Pools novel series were the paladins, the old paladin mentor and the undead paladin...both paragons of paladinhood without the stigma of the "uber-paladin" mentality...which is what I think turns people off...

Well, as I've said before, some people just don't get the whole alignment gig. They either read it incorrectly (like CN, or any evil alignment), or they stick with a stereotype. I don't feel it's a fault of the system (as some do); it's a fault of the players.

I've never played a paladin, but it's because of my aversion to playing the religious-based characters, not because of the alignment. I've played a couple of LG characters, and neither one was "lawful stupid" or "awful good".
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 18:25:54
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje
This is why I hesitate to allow paladins in my games when I DM. Most people play them as fanatics that must kill all evil after they find them on their "evil radar". It bothers me to much and so most of the time I think long and hard about a PC playing a paladin. Yes, some paladins are like that depending on their deities but in 10+ years of DMing, almost every PC paladin that I've seen as a DM or a player are like that. GAH!

I'v only known a couple of people that have even wanted to play a paladin...and after that Dragon magizine (310 I think) with the other alignment-varients of paladins I'v had more requests for those than any LG paladin

heck, very few characters I'v ever seen even play LG alignment
Kuje Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 18:15:00
quote:

quote:

quote:

IMO I think people often concentrate a little too much on the "good" aspect of a paladin more than the "law" aspect of the paladin

I've always felt the opposite -- that people focus too much on the lawful aspect.

I don't really think most anyone really "gets" a paladin...like the True Neutrality of a druid (pre-3E)

That is why the biggest reason I enjoyed the Pools novel series were the paladins, the old paladin mentor and the undead paladin...both paragons of paladinhood without the stigma of the "uber-paladin" mentality...which is what I think turns people off...

This is why I hesitate to allow paladins in my games when I DM. Most people play them as fanatics that must kill all evil after they find them on their "evil radar". It bothers me to much and so most of the time I think long and hard about a PC playing a paladin. Yes, some paladins are like that depending on their deities but in 10+ years of DMing, almost every PC paladin that I've seen as a DM or a player are like that. GAH!
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 18:09:03
quote:

quote:

Kentinal Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 17:44:48
I think one reason some Paladins are hated is because they say "It is the Law"

I do not see many Paladins helping old ladies across the street or reaching out to be good to the weak and needed.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 17:18:29
quote:

Jorkens Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 15:59:50
Well as Sune and her portfolio of love is chaotic and unpredictable by nature, chaotic seems to be the right alignment to me.

And Kaje, I meant the Promise, promise, promise answer
MerrikCale Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 14:41:44
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

I think Sune is the only deity with Paladins that isn't LG, NG, or LN.

I don't know why they although it with Sune only. It seems a strange god to make the exception.

Actually, if you read her dogma it's fairly logical (to me at least).

then she should be NG
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 13:56:03
Kajehase Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 13:53:04
The bits about protecting and preserving beauty. I'd give you a full quote, but since my own computer have been messed up for some time I haven't got access to my books when I'm online.
Jorkens Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 13:06:05
I have always seen it as fitting that Sune had paladins among her servants, although I always envisioned them as something more like the Gallant from the Bards Handbook.

And Kajehase, OK, you got me curious, what are you talking about?
Kajehase Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 11:36:34
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

I don't know why they although it with Sune only. It seems a strange god to make the exception.

Actually, if you read her dogma it's fairly logical (to me at least).
Kajehase Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 11:35:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

In regards to Eilistraee's clerics, check out Ed's thread about ten days from now. Ed tells me that a definitive (and long, and highly detailed) reply to this one (which has generated over 20 questions on Ed's threads over the last 3 years, all of them thus far unanswered) is about ten replies "down the road."
love,
THO

"Promise , Promise , promise?" (two points for where that comes from)

Class 2 B's bus-trip to the Thor Heyerdal museum in Oslo 2002.
Kentinal Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 06:12:20
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

In regards to Eilistraee's clerics, check out Ed's thread about ten days from now. Ed tells me that a definitive (and long, and highly detailed) reply to this one (which has generated over 20 questions on Ed's threads over the last 3 years, all of them thus far unanswered) is about ten replies "down the road."
love,
THO

"Promise , Promise , promise?" (two points for where that comes from)

It indeed will be good if ten questions can be answered in 10 days. *Smiles* I hope a few oters might be included as well with discusion of Eilistraee's followers.
The Hooded One Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 05:26:50
love,
THO
MerrikCale Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 13:20:05
quote:

Foxhelm Posted - 26 Sep 2006 : 19:22:55
All of this talk of single-gender clergies, made me wonder if there might be room for these feats.

Dude looks like a lady:
Pre:Male, must have been turned into a woman for a month
Benefit: The player may join female only groups and at well choose to be treated as a female.

She look-a-like a man
Pre:Female, must have been turned into a man for a month
Benefit: The player may join male only groups and at well choose to be treated as a male.

Just a little silly idea, which does have a historical base (With opposite gender faking being the other one. Like in Terry Pratchett's Monsterous Regiment (may have the title wrong)).

w2b Posted - 26 Sep 2006 : 18:06:34
yes, so it would seem according to my limited sources. if there are other deities allowing paladins it must be a detail hiding in some book or pdf i don't have.

as for the original question of this thread, i can't recall any other deity who actively forbids a gender or another from their priesthood or even lay followers, but i might very well be wrong, and/or things might have changed since 2nd ed, of which, alas, i have very little knowledge.
warlockco Posted - 26 Sep 2006 : 04:29:31
w2b Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 21:45:00
i would like to say that i'm quite sure in 3.5 eilistraee can have male clerics. i can't give you references or anything, but nowhere i know it is stated that isn't a possibility. sword dancers are limited to females, yes, but clerics are not. of course if in 2nd ed eilistraee's clerics aren't allowed that's another matter... there are many discrepancies between the editions... we all know. choose what you like the best.

also, nowhere i've seen stated that in order to be a ranger your patron deity must be one of the realmsian nature deities, so i would say eilistraee indeed can have rangers. paladins do seem to be outside her reach though, that's true. but that is it (i repeat: as far as i know).
warlockco Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 06:50:11
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

So, like I said, WOTC can't even keep their rules straight in the same sourcebook because according to that sourcebooks chart, she shouldn't have rangers.

Ah well. I'll go with the 2e lore, which did allow her to have rangers.

However, none of this changes that fact that those rangers would still be female only.

For the most part have to agree with you.

Though I do allow any deity to have Rangers though, mainly because other than "Rogue" classes, the Ranger is the closest thing to a "Cleaner" that any of the gods can get.

Just more "urban" deities should have rangers that use the Urban Ranger variant in Unearthed Arcana.
GothicDan Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 02:53:32
I am pretty sure among the clergy of Sharess, females outnumbered males by a ridiculous proportion. However, the picture of the Sharessan Specialty Priest was a (rather attractive) male. :) So, take that as you will.
Kentinal Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 01:21:56
Maybe she only permits multiclassed Rangers, logic does not apply to the realms.

Maybe in 2nd if one wanted to be a Ranger they needed to muticlass and be female. I will note that DD did not list Rangers as Clergy (Though Vhaeraun has listed as Clergy Thieves) *shrugs*

Internal consistancy has been a problem even in 2nd because of how much lore, expansions, etc. that came out. 3.X trying to convert older lore clearly runs the same risk. The F&P text is of course one thing that fueled the belief that gender restriction might have been listed.

Oh also as best I can tell Ghaunadaur has no gender bias , there again many of his followers have no gender. *wink*

Lolth clearly had some, which became more enforced in transition to 3.0 (she killed or transfromed all her male Priests).

I really would need to do a detail comprasion of other deities to see if there is an increase in gender bias. (This scroll should not just be about Drow deities, human ones were mentioned as well.)
Kuje Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 00:53:29
So, like I said, WOTC can't even keep their rules straight in the same sourcebook because according to that sourcebooks chart, she shouldn't have rangers.

Ah well. I'll go with the 2e lore, which did allow her to have rangers.

However, none of this changes that fact that those rangers would still be female only.
Kentinal Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 00:42:38
The chapter 4 guote came from http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20020503a F&P (3.X)

The first quote is from Demihuman Deities (2nd)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000