Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 What is the epic adventure for 2003?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lord Rad Posted - 14 Feb 2003 : 15:34:42
Ok, so last year we had the huge City of the Spider Queen adventure module. WotC stated somewhere that they would release an epic FR adventure module of this scale every year, does anyone have any rumors on what this years is all about and when it is likely to be released?

I wish WotC would keep us going with some 96-page adventures in the meantime though
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 06 Feb 2006 : 17:37:01
i think the reason why i didnt buy the city of the spider queen adventure until recently was the fact that 3e/3.5e had just come out... it takes time for people to feel comfortable with the rules and buy and read trhough all the corebooks etc. before they can start an adventure... i wish they ahd given it more time!
The Sage Posted - 06 Feb 2006 : 17:00:27
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Oh, and how'd that Candlekeep-built adventure project go?

I'll take this one up...

See this scroll Kaje:- http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1025&whichpage=1

If you have any questions... post them in there .
Kajehase Posted - 06 Feb 2006 : 16:27:16
Okay, so I found this lying around and collecting dust and figured that for the sake of any newcomers to the Realms, this should be added: It would seem that Wizards have changed their minds re FR-modules, and in late 2005, an adventure called Sons of Gruumsh was published.

Oh, and how'd that Candlekeep-built adventure project go?
Mielikki Posted - 07 May 2004 : 04:38:48
I think what really needs to be done by them to raise $$$ would be to actuallu put out a FR movie. Just look how well LOTR did, everyone loved it... fans or not! But I guess that idea is just an idea and is only gonna be us Fr fans wetdreams to see Drizzt on the big screen.
The Sage Posted - 01 Sep 2003 : 06:06:07
This is definitely exciting news . Thanks for the information Rad. Although I wonder if those of us living outside of North America will have access to these interesting products...

Lord Rad Posted - 31 Aug 2003 : 22:02:36
WOO HOO!! Check this out!

ORGANIZEDPLAY™ AND WIZARDS OF THE COAST ANNOUNCE A NEW LINE OF LICENSED LIVING CITY OF RAVENS BLUFF™ HIGH LEVEL FORGOTTEN REALMS® adventures compatible with DUNGEONS & DRAGONS®
(8/28/2003 - Redmond, WA) OrganizedPlay, based here, announced today that it has launched a new venture to publish and distribute for commercial sale to the hobby gaming market licensed roleplaying game scenarios set in the FORGOTTEN REALMS world. OrganizedPlay has licensed the LIVING CITY OF RAVENS BLUFF, the world’s longest running and most well-developed massively multiplayer tabletop roleplaying game campaign from Wizards of the Coast. OrganizedPlay feels the time is now right to take advantage of the opportunities in the market and bring the LIVING CITY campaign to the widest possible audience.

The new adventures are based on high level scenarios created and played by RPGA® members in sanctioned events across North America. The adventures are designed for use by High Level (14th level and up) characters. The adventures will be a suitable challenge for a party of 4-6 characters averaging 18th Level. The adventures will contain instructions for creating new High Level characters and equipping them to face the challenges of the high level environment, as well as rules for how to correctly Judge the scenario and report results to OrganizedPlay for official scoring in the LIVING CITY Campaign.

The adventures will be approximately 160 pages in length, will feature 4 color cover illustrations, a mix of 2 and 4 color interior illustrations, and will be perfect bound. The scenarios will be priced at $30 MSRP and will be distributed worldwide by OrganizedPlay to consumers and qualifying retail stores.

The LIVING CITY OF RAVENS BLUFF player community features some of the best and most demanding players in the world. With the assistance of those players, OrganizedPlay has been able to fine-tune these new adventures, balancing them against the capabilities of the greatest heroes the game has to offer, and making them a challenge for even the most experienced player. The new High Level Scenario series from OrganizedPlay promises to deliver challenges of epic proportion, thoroughly tested in real-world play, which draw on the incredibly rich history of the popular FORGOTTEN REALMS world to deliver a gaming experience sure to delight players and Dungeon Masters alike!

OrganizedPlay’s LIVING CITY High Level Scenario Series will launch in the 4th quarter of 2003. OrganizedPlay plans to release a new scenario each quarter during 2004, with additional material available as web-enhanced content downloadable from its LIVING CITY web site, www.livingcity.organizedplay.com.
Mystery_Man Posted - 04 Aug 2003 : 13:29:17
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

My understanding is that there will be more of an effort to put FR-specific adventures in Dungeon magazine so as to alleviate the "no FR adventures in the product line" decision. The fact is, no FR module has ever sold brilliantly. Due to their very nature they are hard to fit into a 'normal' FR campaign (as in, how do I fit "Into the Dragon's Lair" into my personal Waterdeep game), they're an expensive one-shot when you can get a whole bunch in Dungeon and IMHO the last bunch of FR modules haven't been that good. I exempt "City of the Spider Queen" as I haven't read it.
-- George Krashos

I can live with the adventures in Dungeon Magazine. And I agree, I could never put a module in any of my FR campaigns with any degree of success, I would always end up rewriting them anyway.

As far as CotSQ, I'll run it just because its so darn big and cool. :) I just have to figure out how to get my players to 10th level in my new campaign and get them to the Dalelands "for some reason."

Should be fun but its at least a year away.
The Sage Posted - 10 Jul 2003 : 10:21:22
That's good to hear zemd. Although some of us have already started tinkering with some ideas already. I suggest you look over this scroll to see about our progress so far.

zemd Posted - 10 Jul 2003 : 10:07:24

Very good idea... but it'll take at least one year to create it!
I'll think about ideas.
The Sage Posted - 29 May 2003 : 09:07:37
Thanks Alaundo.

I appreciate it. Now that I know that the great Aluando wishes to see our work, I guess we will have to work twice as hard .

May your learning be free and unfettered

Alaundo Posted - 29 May 2003 : 09:03:28
Well Met

quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Okay then, I guess we have some background work to do then.

I am going to start a new thread in the 'Adventuring' section to work on some ideas,

'Twould be a great and rewarding venture to get this underway, ill look forward to seeing this develop.... Im sure we can find a special location here in the great library to show the collaborated works of you great Scribes
The Sage Posted - 29 May 2003 : 08:47:57
Okay then, I guess we have some background work to do then.

I am going to start a new thread in the 'Adventuring' section to work on some ideas,

Brynweir Posted - 29 May 2003 : 02:51:39
quote from Sage of Perth:[As a final thought, maybe we, the devoted scribes and sages of the Candlekeep forums should get together, and create an epic adventure of our own for FR.

What do you think?]

Go for it! Everything I've seen you guys create so far has been excellent.
Mournblade Posted - 29 May 2003 : 01:06:35
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

This is disappointing news indeed. Of course I am sorry I took so long to reply, but it took me a while to sort through what I was feeling about this news when I read it last month.

As a consequence, it really doesn't affect me too much, because since the beginning of 3e I have been running my own homebrew campaigns. I purchased CotSQ, but as yet have not run the adventure. While I would have like to see an epic adventure published maybe once or twice a year, obviously WotC feels differently.

Back in 2e edition however, I ran nearly every single module, there was some greats there.

As a final thought, maybe we, the devoted scribes and sages of the Candlekeep forums should get together, and create an epic adventure of our own for FR.

What do you think?

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

That is a MOST excellent Idea!!!!
I'll be in!
The Sage Posted - 28 May 2003 : 15:02:37
This is disappointing news indeed. Of course I am sorry I took so long to reply, but it took me a while to sort through what I was feeling about this news when I read it last month.

As a consequence, it really doesn't affect me too much, because since the beginning of 3e I have been running my own homebrew campaigns. I purchased CotSQ, but as yet have not run the adventure. While I would have like to see an epic adventure published maybe once or twice a year, obviously WotC feels differently.

Back in 2e edition however, I ran nearly every single module, there was some greats there.

As a final thought, maybe we, the devoted scribes and sages of the Candlekeep forums should get together, and create an epic adventure of our own for FR.

What do you think?

Good learning...

- The Sage of Perth: For all your Realms Lore needs

Lord Hoth Posted - 21 May 2003 : 01:57:42
quote:
"I have to say, none of the above surprises me, I am very surprised, however, at how keen averyone still is to buy 3.5E when it comes out. Makes me wonder what Hasbro have to do before people stop throwing money at them."

Have to agree with that one. In my opinion wizards dug there own grave with making d20 open licence, not that its a bad thing....its nice to have varied worlds, rules and companies. But in terms of adventures their sales dropped off b/c now they have to compete with virtually every other company for your money. its far cheaper to buy a $5 AEG adventure and set it in the realms than to buy a $30+ official FR adventure.

quote:
"Boy, am I glad I stuck with 2nd edition. Downloads from Kazaa, anyone?"
amen. I must say that WotC's lack of support for earlier editions annoys me, what i would like to see at least is them making the old adventures guild FR adventures into downloads (id even pay for them). if you dont know to what im refering here's a link:
http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/Periodicals/AGindex.html

Rex Mundi
kahonen Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 21:18:47
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

But an adventure in Dungeon Magazine can't have the depht of a module like CotSQ.

... Plus, of course, there's the recent problems with the distribution of Dungeon and Dragon Magazine.

I have to say, none of the above surprises me, I am very surprised, however, at how keen averyone still is to buy 3.5E when it comes out. Makes me wonder what Hasbro have to do before people stop throwing money at them.

Boy, am I glad I stuck with 2nd edition. Downloads from Kazaa, anyone?
zemd Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 10:51:47
But an adventure in Dungeon Magazine can't have the depht of a module like CotSQ.
George Krashos Posted - 15 Apr 2003 : 10:44:46
My understanding is that there will be more of an effort to put FR-specific adventures in Dungeon magazine so as to alleviate the "no FR adventures in the product line" decision. The fact is, no FR module has ever sold brilliantly. Due to their very nature they are hard to fit into a 'normal' FR campaign (as in, how do I fit "Into the Dragon's Lair" into my personal Waterdeep game), they're an expensive one-shot when you can get a whole bunch in Dungeon and IMHO the last bunch of FR modules haven't been that good. I exempt "City of the Spider Queen" as I haven't read it.

Mind you, I have most of the FR modules simply because the majority of them were written by Ed or Steven Schend. You knew you were going to get some great realmslore even if you never ran the module. Look at Ed's FA1 Halls of the High King, or Steven's Undermountain trilogy. They enhanced and added to the Realms rather than just being smacked down somewhere in them.

-- George Krashos
Bookwyrm Posted - 14 Apr 2003 : 19:27:03
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

... a 2nd Edition, or a 3E Adventure Page with the Area, Levels and Blurb Clearly displayed in a table...

There's a site that has some adventure moduals for download . . . I really don't know how good they are, being as I have no referance for a "good" adventure modual, but you can see for yourself. It's at a site I've linked to before, called Defrag's Realms, on the Adventures page.
Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 21:37:12
Never have I read something so funny and yet so sad.

Personally, I like smooth, rather than crunchy. If I didn't then I wouldn't only just now be getting into the games themselves.

Stupid Beanie Brothers.
Mournblade Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 19:11:22
What I AM convinced of is that the Forgotten Realms will never die. I imagine if there was a collapse, and Hasbro Dropped the world, then there would be some group of fans out there that would do for the realms that the new I.C.E. guys did for that bankrupt company. Fans bought the rights to the intellectual property and began publishing the material. I.C.E. is back. The fans bought the name, and the property. Ofcourse it won't make the money WoTC does, but I think for those people it is not about money.

As proof of what marketing does to intellectual property: Look at the Phantom Menace. What a blow to the entire Star Wars mythos. Putting in those dumb jokes, and things for the video games. I like Phantom Menace because it was star wars, but I cannot say it was a good movie

I just read the scroll Alaundo showed us. It looks like what I feared is happening. If I would of known about the review I would of sent one in. I love the Silver Marches, and now I am very sad

RING OF RANT REPULSION!

Alaundo Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 18:35:54
Well Met

Indeed Elrond, we would welcome any fan-created adventures of the Realms to go up proudly on the Adventures in Faerun shelf.

Back to the news of the decision to stop production of Realms adventures by Wotc..... I am personally very disturbed by this news. I totally agree with you mournblade94, and although the initial news of the Hasbro-WotC takeover was received by myself with the hope of our beloved Realms reaching a larger audience, I was quickly fearing the worst and having read a certain scroll, my fears were comfirmed. This latest decision can only be damaging, certainly from the view of new fans to the Realms and indeed D&D.... why would anyone want to buy sourcebooks on a campaign in which you cannot play, as there are no adventures!?

I dont often speak out, but on this occassion, I feel disheartened enough by these actions to a point on wanting to hang up my robe in despair
Bookwyrm Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 18:06:22
They're not just marketers. Those people you can live with. The people at Hasbro are mass marketers. They think that the best way to get the biggest profit is by trying to please everyone. That just makes things superficial, artificial, and very two-dimentional.

Guess they never heard Lincoln's famous saying . . . .
Mournblade Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 17:35:12
Most likely this is a function of the Hasbro corporation. I will not Rant because I am extreme anti-corporation. When Hasbro bought Wizards, lots of people were excited because of the 'backing'. I was not excited. With big corporations come Big marketers. Marketers are half the reason that intellectual endeavors and products suffer. Look at movies made for the masses. You can have a great movie, but then you have to soften it for the average (often ignorant) movie watcher.

ANd if the FR stop selling to the extent Hasbro wants, do not doubt they would drop it without a thought. Wizards was a company of gamers. Hasbro is a company of suits. Therein lies the danger.

Elrond Half Elven Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 14:15:25
Ok There now seems to be two things we can do:
1)Complain to Wizards
2)Pull all our resources and start to post our Adventures on the Web. Candlekeep already has a small collection of Advenutres, what i don't like about most Adventure sites is that it says that the Adventure takes place in the Realms, it doesnt actually tell you where, you need to download the adventure first!
Perhaps if we where to send our Adventures to Alaundo he would post them on a 2nd Edition, or a 3E Adventure Page with the Area, Levels and Blurb Clearly displayed in a table Come on Alaundo You know you want to!
zemd Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 10:25:02
I completly agree with Rad. Usually i NEVER play modules, i prefer to create my own campaigns. But when i read CotSQ, i was so impressed that i decided to play it.
Very disappointed!
Lord Rad Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 09:16:42
Well I really dont know what to say! Thats absolutely ridiculous!

What is the point in releasing sourcebooks on regions and not giving us any modules to play in those regions?! Generic d20 modules are NOT the answer either.

Back in the good old days of TSR.....
::numerous scribes moan around the room at the start of another or Rads ancient rants::
....ahem, modules for the Realms were numerous throughout the year! Ok, so they werent epic adventures but at least they allowed us to play in the Realms. I cant understand how you can have a D&D product line like FR and NOT provide actual adventures to play in the setting!!!?

Have WotC (or more likely Hasbro, the evil behind it all) thought that the lack of modules released over the last few years is the reason they havent sold? People have had to design their own adventures to keep their campaigns alive as nothing official has been released to buy!! Ok, so CotSQ was released.......not much good for the other.... ::rolls percentile dice::... 87% of campaigns that are being run on the surface and not in the Underdark!!

ARGH! I despair!
George Krashos Posted - 12 Apr 2003 : 01:25:56
It's confirmed that there will be no more FR modules as part of the product line. It seems they just don't sell like they used to ...

Focus will be on 1 regional sourcebook a year, with another 2 or so more general FR products to go with it.

I'd love to see more, but I'll take what I can get.

-- George Krashos
zemd Posted - 11 Apr 2003 : 21:12:21
It's true that City of the Spider Queen is a great adventure. I'll master it in July and August. How many hours does it requires?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000