Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Is Code of the Harpers worth it?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
MerrikCale Posted - 24 Sep 2006 : 20:36:24
Is buying a used copy of the Code of the Harpers worth $20-$30? if so, why?
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
MerrikCale Posted - 04 Oct 2006 : 01:52:06
I got a decent used copy from Amazon for $20 and I like it.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 26 Sep 2006 : 14:26:28
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand
Hence me saying I wouldn't pay that much for CotH. Especially since I paid only 99 pence each for Cloak&Dagger, Secrets of the Magister, Drow of the Underdark (for a buddy), Draconomicon, and the first Elminster's Ecologies appendix.

Guess that makes up for an overpriced ToEE...

*cough* understatement

most I ever paid for anything is the 4th Bloodstone module..mint condition for $90 american (which was around $120 canadian)
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 26 Sep 2006 : 10:44:55
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

quote:

Admittedly, I paid €70 for Temple of Elemental Evil...I wouldn't pay that much anymore for any used supplement...

OUCH that is alot.

Hence me saying I wouldn't pay that much for CotH. Especially since I paid only 99 pence each for Cloak&Dagger, Secrets of the Magister, Drow of the Underdark (for a buddy), Draconomicon, and the first Elminster's Ecologies appendix.

Guess that makes up for an overpriced ToEE...
warlockco Posted - 26 Sep 2006 : 09:15:09
quote:

Admittedly, I paid €70 for Temple of Elemental Evil...I wouldn't pay that much anymore for any used supplement...

OUCH that is alot.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 26 Sep 2006 : 08:06:53
The Sage Posted - 26 Sep 2006 : 00:59:34
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

When I did part of the translation for the FRCS, I got a German copy of the book, it is nice to have, but 20-30$...umm...no, wait until you find it on ebay, it is not worth that much money.

$20-$30 for a 2E Realms Book, especially if it is in good-excellent shape, is a great price.

Also keep in mind this is the biggest single source of Harper Information out there, until a 3E book gets done (not likely from what we keep hearing, or if it is done, we'll get maybe 5 pages...).

Have to agree with Warlocko, 20 to 30 isn't that bad for a 2e sourcebook considering it originally came out for 20, so that's only, if it's 30, ten dollars more then it was originally. I paid way more for a lot of the 2e material for FR, Planescape, Ravenloft, and Spelljammer.
Well, I've seen printed copies of CotH, here in Australia, which are available for $60+ AUS -- I've not seen them any cheaper than that anywhere here. In fact, it's one of the more expansive 2e FR books you can purchase here.

quote:
Also, I'll add to my above list, it's got some good lore on the Heralds and the split from the Harpers.
As well, Harper specific magic and magic-items.
warlockco Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 20:01:33
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You could always drop $4 on the pdf, and see if you like the book. Then, if you think it's worthwhile, spring for the print copy.

Yep always that too.

Speaking of PDFs, one of my friends found one for On Hallowed Ground for me.
Its not a great PDF, but since I never had a chance to get the book, it was a great find.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 17:58:30
You could always drop $4 on the pdf, and see if you like the book. Then, if you think it's worthwhile, spring for the print copy.
Kuje Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 17:35:13
quote:

quote:

When I did part of the translation for the FRCS, I got a German copy of the book, it is nice to have, but 20-30$...umm...no, wait until you find it on ebay, it is not worth that much money.

$20-$30 for a 2E Realms Book, especially if it is in good-excellent shape, is a great price.

Also keep in mind this is the biggest single source of Harper Information out there, until a 3E book gets done (not likely from what we keep hearing, or if it is done, we'll get maybe 5 pages...).

Have to agree with Warlocko, 20 to 30 isn't that bad for a 2e sourcebook considering it originally came out for 20, so that's only, if it's 30, ten dollars more then it was originally. I paid way more for a lot of the 2e material for FR, Planescape, Ravenloft, and Spelljammer.

Also, I'll add to my above list, it's got some good lore on the Heralds and the split from the Harpers.
warlockco Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 17:18:43
quote:

Chosen of Moradin Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 14:22:37
It worth every cent! One of my most used books (in all my 15 years as a Realms DM, always I have one player Harper)! The harper lore in that tome is excellent!

I recomend it!
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 13:44:22
Ergdusch Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 10:05:40
I call this book one of my collection. It is very interesting to read lore-wise, but as all books of such type it is also very specific. I would recommand a purcise only if you intent to run an extencive campaign around harpers. If so - the price you named is reasonable and worth the content, IMO.
The Sage Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 01:41:40
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

For the history of the Harpers that hasn't really been detailed in 3/3.5e sourcebooks, like the Harpstar Wars or the founding, then the refounding, etc.

The NPC's that are in there that aren't in current material.

The codes/trail signs/etc that are not in current material.

The passages that show what a Harper's life is like from day to day.

So yes, it's worth it. :)

With all this, and the fact that it's written by Ed... yes, it is indeed worth it.
Reefy Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 00:58:48
It's a very useful book for Harper lore. Buy it if you think the price is reasonable. I have it as a pdf.
Uzzy Posted - 25 Sep 2006 : 00:12:10
Its a beautiful book, truly. If your a Harper Fan (and youve got the cash spare ) then I would go for it. I know I definatly would for that price.

Kalin Agrivar Posted - 24 Sep 2006 : 23:13:11
it was an excellent book when/if you are playing AD&D 2E

for 3E it is still pretty good...mostly for the Harper canon...like said above 3E/3.5E hasn't really touched it yet...but the rest has been updated/replaced in 3E
Wandering_mage Posted - 24 Sep 2006 : 21:27:36
I might be off topic but I would love to hear more about the Harpstar wars. On on the edge of my seat. Plus I think Code of the Harpers is worth buying. I've heard nothing but good stuff about it.
Jorkens Posted - 24 Sep 2006 : 20:49:55
Well, I would say the Code of the Harpers is among the most useful Realms source books lore-wise, so if you think that's an acceptable price for a good source book I would buy it. You could always get the book as a PDF, but the paper version is always the best in my opinion.

Why it is worth it? To me a whole book of Ed detailing the Harpers as an organisation and its history is a treasure chest for a dedicated Realms-fan.
Kuje Posted - 24 Sep 2006 : 20:48:25
For the history of the Harpers that hasn't really been detailed in 3/3.5e sourcebooks, like the Harpstar Wars or the founding, then the refounding, etc.

The NPC's that are in there that aren't in current material.

The codes/trail signs/etc that are not in current material.

The passages that show what a Harper's life is like from day to day.

So yes, it's worth it. :)

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000