Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Request for info towards Book O' Ye Stout Ones...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delzounblood Posted - 08 Sep 2006 : 19:48:21
Hello,

Firstly, Alaundo
a: I hope this is the correct area for this subject.
b: I hope none of the official designers mind.
c: Any help would be greatly recieved.

I have decided after much thought to go ahead and start an un-official book on dwarves in The Forgotten Realms.

I intend fully to ask permission to re-use facts already published by WotC and the games designers, so as to not stand on any toes. When this monumental project is finished I will be submitting it to WotC to do with as they will, It will also be on download on t'internet.

The book shall cover the following areas:

Dwarven Races & sub-races,
Dwarven realms history,
Abilities:
Regions:
Social structure:
Clans:
Kingdoms old and new or reclaimed:
Magic:
Artifacts:
Culture:

and a lot more besides.

I am asking anyone who may read this to submit to me your ideas on new PrC Class's, Historical Events, Any Dwarven infomation in relation to The Realms you may find or come across.
Info that you have found will be given due credit, this is a collective effort not a singular endevor!!

I hope many of you can help out.

Thanks in advance,

Bjorn Delzounblood.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Mumadar Ibn Huzal Posted - 08 Jul 2007 : 09:39:51
I have started collection lore on Shanatar primeraly for my PbeM background, but also for an interest in this collection of ancient dwarven kingdoms and their influence on the area.

Now the original author of this thread seems to have gone quiet, but perhaps some others are willing to take this up as a project? (I would join in...)
Markustay Posted - 08 Jul 2007 : 00:47:43
I love Dwarves!

Not like those Icky Elves... (@Dag)

Anyhow, I have some VERY early stuff worked out for the Dwarves, although not as early as the stuff Gray and I have been discussing. It more or less has to do with the reasons that they left the Yehimals in droves at one point.

Also, if you need any maps...
Jorkens Posted - 02 Jul 2007 : 07:53:36
Well there is a good deal of lore, but most of it is found in the old Dwarves Deep supplement. This still leaves a lot of questions open and rumours unanswered though, which is a good thing.

bitter thorn Posted - 02 Jul 2007 : 01:59:17
I guess the lore really is sparse for Dwarves in the Realms.
Lord Karsus Posted - 05 Jun 2007 : 20:02:38
-Delzoun, if you need any advice managing such a large project, feel free to PM me. I understand, what with my Elves of Faerūn and everything. I'd rather be PMed at my WotC account, if possible.
Matthus Posted - 31 May 2007 : 16:44:06
Hello Delzounblood,

I'm daring to ask for your project

Is there still some help needed? Are you already mad from reading to much dusty tomes, getting dust into your lungs, getting cancer

No - just kidding. I stumbled over the topic and would like to hear some more.

I'm trying to assemble some lore about engineering projects from our stout friends - slow work this but are you interested?
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 30 Oct 2006 : 14:53:21
You might want to look over the next issue of Dragon as it has infor on a race of planetouched Dwarves, oh and the hordelands article has a awsome new dwarven kingdom.
Delzounblood Posted - 24 Oct 2006 : 10:25:48
quote:
Originally posted by Victor_ograygor

It takes most adventurers in the Realms a lifetime to learn more than a handful of the secrets of the dwarves.

The seeking cost some their lives.

But Elminster's agreed to change all that.

Welcome to Dwarves Deep.
Welcome to the secrets of the dwarves.

From / Title: Dwarves Deep
Type: Accessory
Author: Ed Greenwood

I have some links maby there are somthing here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities
http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/races/races.shtml
http://home.comcast.net/~bretwd/NWN_Dwarf.htm
http://mysite.verizon.net/restga8f/peoplesoftheforgottenrealms/id9.html
http://www.rpghq.org/phpbb/portal.php

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20061018a

Victor

Thanks for the links, I already have Dwarves Deep and have ordered Quintisential Dwarf, Book of Dwarves, Races of faerun.

There are a few other books that I will get but fro the time being these will do, I will check out the links you have provided thankyou.

Victor_ograygor Posted - 24 Oct 2006 : 10:15:04
It takes most adventurers in the Realms a lifetime to learn more than a handful of the secrets of the dwarves.

The seeking cost some their lives.

But Elminster's agreed to change all that.

Welcome to Dwarves Deep.
Welcome to the secrets of the dwarves.

From / Title: Dwarves Deep
Type: Accessory
Author: Ed Greenwood

I have some links maby there are somthing here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities
http://www.forgottenkingdoms.com/races/races.shtml
http://home.comcast.net/~bretwd/NWN_Dwarf.htm
http://mysite.verizon.net/restga8f/peoplesoftheforgottenrealms/id9.html
http://www.rpghq.org/phpbb/portal.php

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rl/20061018a
Delzounblood Posted - 16 Sep 2006 : 13:16:01
Sage,

All I can say is keep up the good work! It's actions like that which help everyone out there in the end!
The Sage Posted - 16 Sep 2006 : 01:23:06
Aye. I was just making sure.

We've had scribes in the past who've come to Candlekeep asking about illegal download sites or posting links to them. So, I was really just working against that.
Delzounblood Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 17:40:57
Sage,

The ones I have got were payed for I would not want to download illegal files/pdf's specially any from WotC. The free comment I admit was a bad joke, me being a tight scotsman!

Plus I'm in business myself, I wouldn't want people to rip off what I do so I would never do the same knowingly myself!
The Sage Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 15:39:16
You'll need to pay to obtain those FR 1e/2e PDFs not available for free at WotC. So no... there are no other cheap (free) legal download sites for FR PDFs. Paizo.com and RPGNow.com are pretty much it since SVGames no longer sell TSR PDFs.
Delzounblood Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 14:48:56
Oh does anyone know of any other cheap download sites ( FREE )

I've found or been told about Paizo.com and RPGNOW.com
Delzounblood Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 14:47:25
AHA AHA AHAAAA!!!!!

Dwarves Deep has just arrived and I have downloaded The complete book of dwarves at last some resources to read

Wahahahahaha.

NB: Sorry just a bit excited now I can start on my book proper.....
Delzounblood Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 10:14:01
How about Battleragers mounted on Dire Boars! The ultimate Heavy Cavalry...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 02:23:55
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Dire boars may be a bit more hearty, and dwarves might breed heartier, "shaggy" breeds for use as mounts, given that it seems to be a bit of a tradition.

The Hellhog Brigade!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 23:35:48
Dire boars may be a bit more hearty, and dwarves might breed heartier, "shaggy" breeds for use as mounts, given that it seems to be a bit of a tradition.
Delzounblood Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 23:15:10
Dwarven Boar riders from old Shanathar! sounds more likely, I agree. On cave lizards though, I always see Drow ridning cave lizards, to me they seem too "soft" for a dwarven war party, too agile running up walls etc:

Anyways I'm going to continue with the history section again, so Dwarf historic facts for now.
Jorkens Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 18:14:18
I like the visual idea of boar riders, but as I said its not the most logical animal for high subarctic mountains and the Underdark. On the other hand the idea of dwarves riding boars has been with the game since at least the early 2ed. Maybe the tradition of using boars were more common in the surface lands of old Shanathar?. For underground use there really are no better alternatives than cave lizards.

There could of course be dwarven stealth groups that use trained moles to burrow into enemy holds and caves, but these would not be useful as riding animals.
Delzounblood Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 17:41:31
Oh and of course I will be submiting a copy of the finished work to the most beloved and most valued respository, The Hallowed Candlekeep!!!!
Delzounblood Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 17:36:37
I admit the moles are not the best idea, though the whole idea of mounted dwarven knights came from R.A.Salvatore and his Mithril Hall boar riders in the Hunters Blade Trilogy. I entertained ideas of Delzoun Dwarves patroling the above reaches of their realm! As yet just an idea i am playing with.

Re source book's I have now built up quite a list of book's I need to either obtain or download (paizo.com here I come!)

But to you all who have helped with Law/Cannon or source book info A BIG THANK YOU and please don't stop!

I fully intend to make this book available as a download on an instalment basis but that is a long way off yet!
hammer of Moradin Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 17:19:50
Quite an undertaking, Delzounblood.

I do not have anything I can add right now, but feel free to bounce ideas off the boards here, and I'll pipe in when I have something constructive to say.

Although, the moles, interesting, but bad idea when they are burrowing. Why can't dwarven knights just ride, well warponies or horses? While mounted combat with a dwarf is fun to explore, there is a reason they don't have a lot of cavalry. Living in mountains, being a certain height, and their choice of weapons and armor usually don't lend to mounted assaults.

Guess I did have something to say, after all.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 16:11:12
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

That's roughly what I had planned, thus the research into Delzoun and the other kngdoms from history. But bit's of law are scattered throughout many different publications! so I am getting hold of as many as poss, though each one opens up a new line of research.

Can't wait for my copy of Dwarves Deep and Ancient Empires to arrive. I have The north PDF but also looking for silver marches on PDF and Drizzt's guide to the underdark.

Dwarves Deep is of course the best source and the heart of the book...

Drizzt's Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark is probably the next best sourse overall...if you read the whole thing you can peice together almost all of the first Chapter in Dwarf history...remember that Delzoun wasn't the #1 greatest dwarf kingdom ever, that title is held by Shanatar...

The next sourse would be the 3 2E god books...Faiths and Avatars, Powers and Pantheons, Demihuman Deities for culture, history, etc.

finally sources like The Great Glacier for the arctic dwarves, The Jungles of Chult for the wild dwarves, etc. have individual iformation about the "uncommon" dwarf races...the Maztica, Kara-Tur and Zakhara box sets are also included in this list...

The North box set, The Savage North, Silver Marches, Races of Faerun, etc. are all good sourses but alot of their info is reprinted in the above sourses...

and finally there is everything else...which has snippets of dwarven lore everywhere...(The Volo's Guide to the Dalelands entry on Glen comes to mind)
Delzounblood Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 15:58:02
That's roughly what I had planned, thus the research into Delzoun and the other kngdoms from history. But bit's of law are scattered throughout many different publications! so I am getting hold of as many as poss, though each one opens up a new line of research.

Can't wait for my copy of Dwarves Deep and Ancient Empires to arrive. I have The north PDF but also looking for silver marches on PDF and Drizzt's guide to the underdark.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 15:49:01
[quote]Originally posted by Delzounblood
well, my idea of a basic outline:

1) do dwarf history first

which can branch into -

2) dwarven geography (past/present settlements/kingdoms)

and -

3) dwarf sub races/cultures

once these three categories are filled out then you can add stuff like magic, equipment, PrCs, etc.
Delzounblood Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 15:22:37
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

I think if the "dwarf book" will include all the subraces, anything that touches dwarven life (1 section per sub-race) plus new ideas for dwarves plus dwarf canon from non-Realms sources it will take years to make with only a couple people working on it and everyone has their own lives to live

I know this is going to be a massive undertaking but I will stick at it.

Re: war moles as mounts: I know what you mean, but the more ideas we bounce off each other and perfect, the better the end product!!

So keep the ides coming and I'll plough my way through them.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 15:09:01
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Mithril Hall did have boar riders, according to the Hunter's Blades trilogy, when the dwarves were defending the outer halls, but perhaps I'm just imagining things.

Also, Champions of Valor (as well as Tom Costa's first Bestiary of the Realms), mentions dwarven ponies.

No, you are right
KnightErrantJR Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 15:08:23
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Mithril Hall did have boar riders, according to the Hunter's Blades trilogy, when the dwarves were defending the outer halls, but perhaps I'm just imagining things.

Also, Champions of Valor (as well as Tom Costa's first Bestiary of the Realms), mentions dwarven ponies.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 14 Sep 2006 : 15:05:48
the problem with any idea of a burrowing mount is how does the rider stay on the mount and survive the burrowing process...and if the tunnel is dug large enough the accomodate the rider what keeps the tunnel from collapsing?

I think if the "dwarf book" will include all the subraces, anything that touches dwarven life (1 section per sub-race) plus new ideas for dwarves plus dwarf canon from non-Realms sources it will take years to make with only a couple people working on it and everyone has their own lives to live

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000