Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 What classes are now officially present in the FR?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 06 Sep 2006 : 01:25:28

I was just looking through Dragons of Faerun and found an NPC with levels of the Favoured Soul class from Complete Divine, this I believe is the first time Ive seen an FR NPC stated with a class outside of the PHB

So which of the expanded classes are now officially present in the Realms?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
VonRaventheDaring Posted - 25 Oct 2006 : 16:30:33
That i can understand i do say miss the old Encylopidea of Magical items that was a great idea!
EytanBernstein Posted - 24 Oct 2006 : 20:33:45
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

You're quite welcome. I'm always happy to discuss thought processes, as long as it's not about something NDA.

Do you think they will ever consider a best "Best Of Complete" when they are finally done with them. After Complete Champion, we'll be up to 6 complete books all with three base classes and add'l PrCs and feats. Do you think they would consider putting the most poplular into 1 super volume?

I'm more than happy to answer, though it's probably best to ask questions like this in my thread (if they don't pertain to classes in FR. I haven't heard anything about a book like that and I generally know at least the basic idea of most books quite a while in advance. WotC hasn't shown a lot of interest in compendiums of material from specific collections. They did the Spell and Magic Item Compendium because those are really useful and saleable concepts. The Complete Series already sells really well, so I doubt people would really want a compilation.
MerrikCale Posted - 24 Oct 2006 : 02:11:29
quote:

You're quite welcome. I'm always happy to discuss thought processes, as long as it's not about something NDA.

Do you think they will ever consider a best "Best Of Complete" when they are finally done with them. After Complete Champion, we'll be up to 6 complete books all with three base classes and add'l PrCs and feats. Do you think they would consider putting the most poplular into 1 super volume?
EytanBernstein Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 20:51:57
MerrikCale Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 02:39:31
Thanks, Eytan
EytanBernstein Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 02:37:38
To answer Merrik, I do keep tabs on what people say on message boards, what I experience in games I run and games I play in, and what my gut and other designers tell me.

It's important to note here that I'm a freelancer, so while I have influence over what I write, and can give input and feedback to the staff, I am not part of the decision making process for everything.

I can't really say what will happen with the classes and future products. I can say that there is an interest in providing optional information - what I mean by this is lore that can be used to develop the new classes, but can just as easily be used for existing core classes (when DMs don't wish to introduce a new class to their game).

As for an official or not official process, that's hard to say. There are a lot of different designers and staff members working on numerous articles for the website and dragon, supplements, adventures, and Web Enhancements. Odds are that some NPCs will pop up with levels in these classes. The same can be said for novels. I've heard novelists talking about a few of the new classes. It's hard to call anything official. It just happens when the time is right.
Reefy Posted - 23 Oct 2006 : 00:08:07
I'm with KEJR and Archwizard, but admit I tend towards the conservative side on letting new classes in. That said, I've done my best to accommodate people in my games when they've wanted to play new classes, even recommending one to a player after the concept he put to me.
MerrikCale Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 18:07:40
Eytan

You have pretty much hit on all the classes that I personally like thatb have beeb introduced. The scout, knight, favored soul, and warlock are nice new base classes that are simliar to the classic types (except for the Warlock). The knight is the old cavalier. The scout is the ranger/rogue (I was always think of Ren from the Pool series). The swashbuckler is Errol Flynn. And I love the Warlock system as a new prototype. I agree its different in a very positive way.

As for many of the other new classes, I could leave them. Things like the duskblade, hexblade, etc I don't like and would not use. But that of course is my humble opinion. Do you guys at WoTC keep tabs somehow on who is using what? Do you note what classes are being well received and which ones have not?

And how does this affect future FR products? Do you see the Warlock being very well received and subsequently feel free to use it in a module and/or sourcebook?

Is there a chance that we may get a new Player's Sourcebook for FR wherein the classes "chosen" become official in the FR?

Sorry about the questions but they are all sort of inter-related
EytanBernstein Posted - 22 Oct 2006 : 16:48:24
quote:

quote:

That particular adventure was written entirely by me, though Eric is always extremely helpful with ideas and continuity.

At the time, I was looking for something that would put the loyalty of the character in question (to her goddess)at odds with her loyalty to her church. The favored soul's father is the high priest of the church, but in many ways, he is straying from what it seems Tiamat wants at the moment. He disobeys her anti-healing dogma and his church is far too insular. Braeden, the favored soul, has loyalty to Tiamat alone. She is nearly powerful enough to overthrow her father, but would need a substantial reason to do so.

There were undoubtedly other ways to do this, but it seemed to me that the favored soul was one of the base classes that could most seemlessly be introduced into FR.

As a designer, is there any restriction on you w/ regards to the use of "optional" base class?

Absolutely. FR has a long history of traditional archetypes. People have grown accustomed to this and it wouldn't accomplish anything to suddenly add 50 new core classes to the world. That said, FR has always changed with the game. In order to remain a vibrant setting for players, it must adapt to what is happening in the rest of D&D's development. Most of the groups are using some of these new classes and many are requesting information about how to adapt them to the world. We are looking at both the most popular classes and those that fit the world the best.

Some people complain that the themes of the new classes can be accomplished by tailoring your character with the options available to older classes. This is true and it's probably good thing. It means that if we introduce the swashbuckler, knight, or scout to the Realms, nothing significant is going to change, but players and DMs get a few more options. There are other classes, the favored soul, for example, that fit into FR just fine, though they do introduce a slightly new mechanic.

Beyond those classes that change relatively few things, I think it's necessary to occasionally introduce something completely new. The warlock is an excellent example of this. The responses to this class have been overwhelmingly positive, even if some people feel threatened by the class's unlimited use of invocations. This is the type of class that many, if not a large number of players want to see in the Realms. It may be different from what already exists, but I think it's different in a positive way.

This has become a very long explanation, but I think we can assure people that we aren't suddenly going to introduce all of the new classes. That said, some will probably be introduced and we may provide information for how others could be introduced, but without forcing their introduction into your game. And remember, even if we do introduce some of them, you don't have to use them. I don't use all of the new classes in my games, even some that I really like.

In other words, we have a lot of creative freedom, but we won't just go changing everything for the sake of something new.
MerrikCale Posted - 21 Oct 2006 : 17:44:17
quote:

That particular adventure was written entirely by me, though Eric is always extremely helpful with ideas and continuity.

At the time, I was looking for something that would put the loyalty of the character in question (to her goddess)at odds with her loyalty to her church. The favored soul's father is the high priest of the church, but in many ways, he is straying from what it seems Tiamat wants at the moment. He disobeys her anti-healing dogma and his church is far too insular. Braeden, the favored soul, has loyalty to Tiamat alone. She is nearly powerful enough to overthrow her father, but would need a substantial reason to do so.

There were undoubtedly other ways to do this, but it seemed to me that the favored soul was one of the base classes that could most seemlessly be introduced into FR.

As a designer, is there any restriction on you w/ regards to the use of "optional" base class?
EytanBernstein Posted - 21 Oct 2006 : 16:50:49

MerrikCale Posted - 21 Oct 2006 : 14:10:21
quote:

I really can't say much, but I can say that these issues are being talked about and your opinions are being listened to regarding this issue.

Can you tell me about the decision to include the Favored Soul in Dragons of Faerun which I know you wrote with Mr. Boyd. Why then? Why the Favored Soul? Just curious.
MerrikCale Posted - 21 Oct 2006 : 02:32:38
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

quote:

quote:

But none of the new classes are in, correct? Except maybe the warlock.

Well the favoured Souls now in, its appeared in an FR product

Which FR product was that?

Dragons of Faerun theres a favoured Soul in the Church of Tiamat adventure

well, there ya go. they slipped one by me.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 20 Oct 2006 : 13:27:44
If it worked culturally, like a Knight in Cormyr, it would be ok, but to have wu-jen or a ninja school appear in Waterdeep I'd be seriously upset.

Personally, I have no use for the new core classes since the basic classes and the hundreds of PrCs are more than enough...
Dargoth Posted - 20 Oct 2006 : 02:41:40
quote:

quote:

quote:

Dragons of Faerun theres a favoured Soul in the Church of Tiamat adventure
MerrikCale Posted - 20 Oct 2006 : 02:31:11
quote:

quote:

MerrikCale Posted - 13 Oct 2006 : 00:36:12
Well then, here's my two cents (and frankly, I'm overrating my opinion), but from what I've seen, I like the Knight, Scout, Warlock, and Favored Soul. Maybe.
EytanBernstein Posted - 10 Oct 2006 : 21:47:15
I really can't say much, but I can say that these issues are being talked about and your opinions are being listened to regarding this issue.
Dargoth Posted - 10 Oct 2006 : 03:40:10
quote:

MerrikCale Posted - 10 Oct 2006 : 02:52:54
EytanBernstein Posted - 06 Oct 2006 : 16:51:56
quote:

One way to incoperate the new classes in an article would be to split them between those that are officially in the realms and those that could be added but arent supported

Ie classes from the first category are in and they can be used by Realms authors in future products the other classes would have unofficial incoporation notes like the Races section in Champioms of Valor

I've been using this philosophy in upcoming projects.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 05 Oct 2006 : 16:50:01
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin
Thank you for the answer Kalin agrivar

no problem

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir
Basically it allows you to change the Somatic aspects of a spell into Material ones by making them into runes. You also have to have a proficiency in heavy armor to qualify. The 'permanent scroll' I don't remember, but when the class tops out you can carve a rune into your own flesh as a permanent magical ability.

yeah, all I could really remember is that it was an arcane PrC and had to do with etching stone and metal...
Ardashir Posted - 05 Oct 2006 : 16:20:25
quote:
Originally posted by kalin agrivar

quote:

Is the Races of Stone Runecaster that different then the Runcaster in the FRCS?
(I didn't even know there was a runcaster in RoS.....)

the Races of Stone runecaster is a wizards/arcane PrCand the FRCS runecaster is a cleric/divine PrC

the RoS runecaster is a short PrC that basically allows the dwarven wizard to etch spells into stone and metal materials to avoid using material components and create permanent "scrolls" (If I remember right...I think they also allow wizards to wear certain armours

Basically it allows you to change the Somatic aspects of a spell into Material ones by making them into runes. You also have to have a proficiency in heavy armor to qualify. The 'permanent scroll' I don't remember, but when the class tops out you can carve a rune into your own flesh as a permanent magical ability.
AlacLuin Posted - 05 Oct 2006 : 16:19:18
I might have to take a look at that. Though I really have no desire for the rest of RoS....
The dilemma, due to budget there are several Realms tomes on the list before this.

Thank you for the answer Kalin agrivar
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 05 Oct 2006 : 13:49:46
quote:

the Races of Stone runecaster is a wizards/arcane PrCand the FRCS runecaster is a cleric/divine PrC

the RoS runecaster is a short PrC that basically allows the dwarven wizard to etch spells into stone and metal materials to avoid using material components and create permanent "scrolls" (If I remember right...I think they also allow wizards to wear certain armours
AlacLuin Posted - 05 Oct 2006 : 05:11:03
Ardashir Posted - 05 Oct 2006 : 00:44:16
Re: The Xothol/Dwarven wizards -- I figured on using the information in the Xothol as a way of bringing the 'Runecaster' PrC (from Races of Stone) into the game, mainly because I like the class. It was a way to bring in armored Dwarven mages.

But the idea of Dwarven warmages sounds fine too.
Dargoth Posted - 02 Oct 2006 : 04:17:44
quote:

where exactly is the duskblade detailed?

Players handbook 2
MerrikCale Posted - 02 Oct 2006 : 03:13:09
where exactly is the duskblade detailed?
MerrikCale Posted - 24 Sep 2006 : 20:40:31
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kaewin

Hi I'm new so bare with me. I wasn't really keen on the new classes from the complete series and would really hate to see them used. On the other hand I would like to see the psionic classes get some use.

That's the unfortunate problem we have when so many people want so many different things. While I do like as many options as possible, I'd imagine that many people don't want any more psionics in the Realms. Most of the complete classes are just new forms of fighting or magic. They rarely break the Realms. Psionics, if done improperly, could, though I'd personally be fine if someone did it with care.

I for one could do without any psionics. But like you said, using new classes can generally be refitted by DMs if they don't want to use them. So I say use them. I'll just redo them.

I know a lot of people would rather not see it, but there is already significant precedent for it. Several of R.A. Salvatore novels deal with house Oblodra and its psionicists (and later Kimmuriel, a rogue member). The recent House of Serpents trilogy is extremely focused on psionics. I recall a short story from one of the 2 Dragon anthologies that had a wilder. There is also a lot of talk floating around about Auppenser. I actually think that it's a whole missing from FR supplements. I'm not suggesting that any more mechanics be added, or that people use every class presented in the XPH and CP, but it's simply undeniable that psionics plays a role, albeit relatively minor, in FR.

I know. Although I don't care for them, I have used them in villians. A psion vampire to be exact.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000