Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Books, Tomes, and Scrolls of Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 12:24:31
I am presently taking a 1 half-hour break in my studies, so that I can take the time to craft the post here which was my only reason for visiting Candlekeep today, due to my time constraints.

For some wizards and loremasters, knowledge is power. This is especially true for the magic-users and sages of Realmslore who visit the halls of knowledge that is Candlekeep. Since this is a library, then it is only fitting that the books and tomes held within the library concern subjects as various and myriad as the geography and population of Faerun. This scroll attempts to assemble a listing of some of the books, tomes, and scrolls that are found throughout Faerun (all fan-created of course). It is my hope that these entries create and/or provide rumors and stories which both DM's and players alike can use to enrich their campaigns. I also intend for some of these librams to provide information (whether true or false, is for the PC's to determine), about creature habits, tales of forgotten lore, mysterious or forbidden knowledge, and other arcane matters. Some of the tomes presented here may also grant skill or ability bonuses to PC's who read and utilise the knowledge contained within.

So, I'll start the scroll off with some of my own creations, although I expect, that a few of my fellow scribes may wish to contribute some of their creations to this scroll as well. I welcome all contributions, from those who are interested, and, for those who simply wish to use the listing as a resource, I appreciate any feedback you may have, whether positive or negative. It all helps in the end.

Let us begin...

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bookwyrm Posted - 13 Jul 2003 : 15:55:27
Perhaps. That was the first one I thought of, and I posted it as soon as I wrote it up. I'll have to think of some other ones for a 3rd level wizard who's out travelling.
The Sage Posted - 13 Jul 2003 : 15:49:31
Another good point. Do you have any more coming?.

Bookwyrm Posted - 13 Jul 2003 : 15:45:35
I wanted it to be for someone who wasn't as familiar with nature as some would be. That's why the character would have to refer to the book to keep the bonus going. I picked the five-rank limit because it's the usual point in canon reference.
The Sage Posted - 13 Jul 2003 : 14:57:10
I like it. I wouldn't worry too much about copying, since your tome provides some very different and very interesting benefits. I particularly like the benefits should the PC have an Intelligence bonus.

Bookwyrm Posted - 13 Jul 2003 : 12:17:59
This wasn't meant to be a copy of yours, Sage; I had forgotten that you had put up a flora/fauna book as well, much less one written by a follower of Mielikki.
Bookwyrm Posted - 13 Jul 2003 : 12:16:25
A Beginner’s Guide to Nature
Common Flora and Fauna of the Realms
By Phyllida of Mielikki

This small, simple tome contains descriptions of the most common and most useful plants and animals that one would be expected to come across in the Realms. Its drawings can help identify dangerous or beneficial plants, and also gives common habits of animals such as deer or rabbits. It isn’t a survival guide, but it can help the traveler in many ways.

To a character with less than five ranks in Knowledge (nature), this provides an effective +1 bonus to such checks for one day after reading it. For characters with a positive Intelligence bonus, additional days are granted for that amount. (I.e., a character with Int 13 will retain the knowledge for two days.)
Bookwyrm Posted - 13 Jul 2003 : 12:14:07
I was wondering what books my half-elf wizard PC would take with him as he ventured into he wide world. He'd of course take them; as long as they weren't too large, they'd be worth it, in his opinion. If nothing else, he could just use them to read. If they helped him, so much the better.

So here's the first of my simple books.
Bookwyrm Posted - 09 Jul 2003 : 08:52:16
Yes, the edited version looks much better, and the true prerequisite is what I'd thought you had meant to say.
The Sage Posted - 09 Jul 2003 : 08:50:02
Actually that error, would have granted the character much in the way of potential benefits with very little prerequisites, causing serious balancing issues.

The Sage Posted - 09 Jul 2003 : 08:45:44
That was a typographical error on my part. I apologise.

Bookwyrm Posted - 09 Jul 2003 : 08:34:45
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

The reader of this tome requires any one of the four item creation feats . . .

Hmm . . . one would hope that Bovare Melkoss would have known that there were nine item creation feats in the Player's Handbook alone, excluding other tomes . . .
The Sage Posted - 09 Jul 2003 : 08:27:18
The Complete Guide to the Flora and Fauna of Faerun
By Willsie Delanthas and Margord of Mielikki

The Druid and Ranger adventuring duo, Willsie and Margord composed this 500 page manuscript while trekking across the Realms as caravans guards with the Aravis Trading Coster out of Marsember. During their 10 year journeys the duo spent many a day collecting samples, and specimens of a variety of plant and animal life from the Sword Coast to the woods of the Great Dale. After retiring from service with the coster the two nature-walkers settled down in their favorite former trading stop, Deepingdale. They acquired a plot of available land near the east side of the Tower of Rhauntides, and set up a small herbalist's shop, which the Sage of Deepingdale regularly visits. The decided to compose a lengthy manuscript based on their findings as a gift to the Sage, who had generously allowed the two adventurers to build near his tower by paying a quarter of the land-price himself.

This manuscript provides characters with a +2 circumstance bonus on all Knowledge (nature) and all Wilderness Lore checks that deal with the many types of flora and fauna that have been detailed in this manuscript (DM's choice).

The Sage Posted - 09 Jul 2003 : 08:25:38
Here are two new tomes from last week's 'Evermeet' campaign -

The Complete Guide to Item Enchantment
By Bovare Melkoss

This tome was written centuries ago by an Enchanter from Waterdeep by the name of Bovare Melkoss. He spent most of his life learning and perfecting the fine art of item enchantment, and become very wealthly when the exquisite items he had crafted endeared him to many a city across the Realms. He recorded most of his studies in this 1000 page tome, each page detailing a specific incantation, verbal component, and other information necessary in perfecting enchantment magics. The tome now resides in Candlekeep under the watchful eye of many dutiful scribes. The enchanter Bovares' final whereabouts have never been revealed. Although there is an rumor that he had once became so enamored with a female customer (who was really a disguised Erinyes) that he was eventually lured into the Nine Hells of Baator.

The reader of this tome requires any four item creation feats and 12 ranks in Knowledge (arcana) to accurately utilise the very select information on enchanting items, contained within this tome.

By following the exact instructions in the tome the caster can decrease the costs of magic item creation by 25%. However due to the amount of concentration and mental discipline involved, the caster must expend 1% more in terms of XP, for any item created.

The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2003 : 10:59:51
That's the way I was looking at it, although I think I am going to utilise Mournblade's suggestion on some of my next tome projects since I think it will work better for the type of tomes that I am going to create next. After that I will probably go back to utilising my method.

Bookwyrm Posted - 03 Jul 2003 : 10:52:58
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

These bonuses are only effective for the current PC level of experience, and the tomes must be re-read in order to regain the bonuses once the PC has gained a new level.

Thank you, Sage. I was wanting something like that. I was thinking that successive reading would mean that the character would eventually memorize it; however, I didn't like the idea that a one-time reading would mean a lifetime bonus. Your way, with longer times between each level increase, reflects (to my mind) how the character needn't go back to the book for longer periods as (s)he gets more and more familiar with the material.
The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2003 : 09:58:01
The Elven Society of Cormanythr
By Rastromo Meradoc, the Sage of Perth

This 5,000 page tome only briefly touches on the depth of cultural idiosyncrasies, societal nature, habits and beliefs of the ancient Elven people of the Kingdom of Cormanthyr. It was written 2,572 years ago by the Sage of Perth, Rastromo Meradoc after visiting the elven Kingdom at the behest of then Coronal Miirphys, shortly after the subduing by the Coronal and his High Magi of the supposed Netherese nycaloths. The text makes accurate observations of many aspects of elven culture, as well as detailing many aspects considered to be mysterious by non-elven peoples. It also includes specific studies and accounts of elven funeral practices, ritualistic behaviour, education, dietiary habits, elven clothing and fashion trends, language, interpersonal relationships, and finally religion. Although the Sage also made a highly detailed study and analysis of the power behind Elven High Magic, the Coronal politely asked the Sage if he would kindly remove that part of the text from the tome, if he ever wished to publish the work. In fact the work was only allowed to be taken from Cormanthyr after the Sage made the promise of keeping the only written copy hidden among his personal possessions, and to never allow access to anyone unless deemed so by the Elven Court itself.

The only copy of this work that is know to exist is in the possession of the Sage himself. Rumors suggest that the Sage has had the tome removed from the Material Plane and secreted away in his Astral Plane magic-hold. However, information that has been summarised from the tome (which was allowed, under the terms of the promise with the Coronal), lay within the libraries of Candlekeep, Elminster's personal library, and the libraries of Szass Tam.

Characters who are granted access to this tome must first, have knowledge of the existence of the tome, and it's exact title and author, and second, granted permission by either a High/Noble Elf (preferably one whose relations reach back to the days of Cormanthyr), Sage of Perth, or maybe Elminster. They must also spend the requisite amount of time studying (uninterrupted) the work contained within, to be granted a +4 circumstance bonus to all of these following checks - Diplomacy, Knowledge (history - Elven), a +2 circumstance bonus on all Bluff checks, and finally, the character is also granted Speak Language (elven) automatically. This is not counted towards the PC's language ranks in this skill, as it is free. These bonuses are effective only when dealing with any subrace of the Elven race (excluding Drow).

The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2003 : 09:56:37
The Ultimate Guide to the Weather of Faerun
By Kevis Fargjo

This is perhaps the most complete and centralised resource on weather patterns over the land of Faerun. It is a detailed study of some 300 pages on how weather and climate affect nearly all the geographical regions of the Realms over the entirety of one twelve month year on Toril. It was penned by Kevis Fargjo, a wizard of some minor renown based out of Silverymoon. He conducted the study over a two year period (Hammer 1370-Nightal 1371/Hammer 1372DR), not long after he became so frustrated that several of his outdoor magical experiments had been interrupted or completely ruined by bad weather. Any character who spends at least 1-to-2 hours of study can make use of the lore contained within this tome and is then automatically granted a +2 bonus on all Knowledge (weather) checks.

The Sage Posted - 03 Jul 2003 : 09:50:06
Actually that is not a bad idea Mournblade .

Anyway, the method I will be using for reading time will be something like this - 1 to 2 hours of uninterrupted reading for tomes of 100 pages or less, +1 hour for every set of 100 pages afterwards. These bonuses are only effective for the current PC level of experience, and the tomes must be re-read in order to regain the bonuses once the PC has gained a new level.

Bookwyrm Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 18:58:18
You know, Mournblade, I think I like your method better. I like the idea of it giving the PC a one-time boost (shown in XP) rather than being with him/her for the rest of that character's life. In real life, people forget things. I'm not sayint that the other method should be abandoned, but I think yours should be used more.
Mournblade Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 18:20:31
I do not necessarily like to add gaming detail to these books. I started at first offering all mages a +2 circumstance bonus to Concentration checks while in melee combat with others, but than I figured out WHY should there be a benefit. If a character has a skill he has a skill. It is assumed that someone with the KNOWLEDGE skill actually got it from mentors or books. So an additional book on BRIDGES, should not give the D&D character any added bonus. IF a mage read the book I listed above, he should just know his character now has experience in that area.

The way I handle these things, is a character gets a set number of experience points for studying a book in my campaign. THis one is rather generous as it grants 100 XP. It will work if the skill set is appropriate, and the INT high enough. For example, a mage reading one of SAGE's books above would gain NO expereince for reading about thief abilities.

The Sage Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 14:31:22
As I stated in the beginning post, some of the entries are used simply as background material in my campaigns, adventure hooks, or books on knowledge that the PC's may pick up in their journeys. I like this concept, (it is a carry over from the FR CRPG's) as it adds elements of depth and realism to my games.

Oh, and Bookwyrm, your suggested reading time, looks good . I suggest you go with it.

I have some new books to add, but again I am pressed for time, so they will have to wait until tomorrow.

The Sage Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 14:25:49
The reason none of the tomes or books detailed here have any set reading times, or INT based rolls etc, is because I simply left that open for the DM to add in what they think is best for their chosen campaigns. What I think may be appropriate for my campaigns may not work for others, so I purposely left this open for that reason.

However, I will start to add times and such, in all future entries.

Bookwyrm Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 06:12:36
Hmm. Good point, Yasraena. I've never considered that issue. Of course, the closest I've come to this is my Tome of Candlekeep, which is a different matter entirely.

Let's see -- maybe 1d8/(Int modifier) hours?
Yasraena Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 06:05:04
Nice! I like the concept.
The perfect thing to stick in a bookshelf other than a spellbook!

As BW asked earlier, what were the game benefits from the last two books?

How long would it take to read one of these books? Time based on an INT roll or something?
Bookwyrm Posted - 02 Jul 2003 : 01:00:08
Hmm . . . I like this. I'll have to set quill to parchment soon and see if I can pen some of my own.

Just out of curiosity, though; what are the game benefits of those last two books? That is, Sage's The Five Hymns of the Purple Dragons, and Mournblade's Adding Fire to the Fight.
Mournblade Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 21:45:07
Adding Fire to the Fight: The Strategic Battlemage
Written By:
Anjor the Red- Archmage, Loremaster, Battlemage

This is a hefty tome written by the archmage Anjor the Red, who lives on the north eastern shores of Lake Sember. Within these covers, (The original of which is bound with red dragon hide) can be found strategies for using magic in battles involving armies, patrols, or simple adventuring parties. THe focus of the tome is to aid generals in thier use of battle mages, war wizards, or any other arcane magical contingent to a standing army. The tome offers strategies for utilizing any mage, from the apprentice wizard who knows only magic missile or bull's strength, to the full archmage, often a general himself who has achieved mastery of elements, and mastery of shapes with his area spells. Anjor has written appendices in the back of the tome, that explain the best uses of spells in battle, whether it is a fireball, Elemental summoning, or use of the spell DIG.

This tome is only a year old, and has been the subject of harsh criticism. Vangerdahast, was loath to accept the book, as Anjor has never served in a standing army, but he had to recant his criticisms after many of his generals proved how valuable the book was in training. Even Anjor's most vicious, competitive, yet friendly rival Khelben Arunsun admitted the tome's value. The book has yet to be fully adopted, mostly because Anjor's credits include high study in magic, history, and monsters, and he has only informally allied with the army of Cormyr to eliminate a mutual threat. Anjor's time as a military veteran can be counted only in years at best, but his study of both magic and war is making this tome a demand of many armies.

Lord Rad Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 14:20:51
Excellent!! I love this, Sage! Keep it up! This is just the sort of thing im after
The Sage Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 12:30:50
The Five Hymns of the Purple Dragons
By Brolard Kazamanias

This is a small ancient handbook that records the five original songs/ballads written by Brolard Kazamanias, a Cormyrian Bard who lived 300 years ago in the city of Suzail. The five songs are separated into five categories dedicated to very important aspects of the Knighthood that bears the same name. The songs, Devotion, Training, Loyalty, Integrity, and Bravery each concern the five main disciplines aspiring Purple Knights are expected to adhere to while members of the Knighthood.

The Sage Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 12:29:33
Mastery of Shadows
By Unknown

This is a series of two guides that teaches the reader about the finer points of stealth, and roguish techniques. The unknown author though, clearly states in the preface, that these guides in no way replace the actual hands-on experience a rogue can gain in the field practicing these abilities.

The first tome details in 300 pages the basics of stealth and then expands on this with advanced techniques the reader can use to employ greater feats of hiding and silent movement. The Rogue PC who utilises the techniques described in this book receives a +1 bonus each to all Hide and Move Silently checks.

The second tome in the series describes in 400 pages the physical practices of the Rogue. It details the proper techniques on pick pocketing, lock picking and other abilities associated with the Rogue. The Rogue PC who makes use of the knowledge contained with this book can expect a +1 bonus each on all Pick Pocket and Open Lock checks.

The Sage Posted - 01 Jul 2003 : 12:28:05
The Measure of War
By High Priest Alizaar of Tempus

This is a series of five short articles of 20 pages each bound together into a book detailing several important aspects on the conduction of warfare. Several of the articles make detailed studies on the nature of battlefield tactics, and the importance of strategy. Others describe the evolution of martial tactics in successfully employing small units of elite troops in the field, massed melee combat, and structured troop formations. A PC who has possession of this book, and has spent time studying it's works receives a +2 competence bonus on all Knowledge (warfare) checks which involve massed melee combat tactics.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000